TSA Physical Pat Downs

Discussion in 'Passport' started by DidSurfNowSki, Mar 4, 2017.

1. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

TSA is introducing “more rigorous” and “comprehensive” physical inspections at airports around the country, according to Bloomberg. The security agency, which until now had the option of using five different types of physical pat-downs in the screening line, is eliminating the "options" and replacing them with a single, universal method which would involve heavier groping.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...port-pat-downs-are-about-to-get-more-invasive

My fondness for LAX transfers has diminished even further.

2. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Good old cavity searches...

3. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

I managed to set off the scanner thing at every stage of my recent trip, resulting in four separate pat-downs. The one at LAX was the most "thorough" but (despite being my groin that was the area of interest) it wasn't particularly intrusive.

The agent asked me to alternately move each leg forward, then backwards (like I was doing the hokey pokey!) so she could check my upper thigh without her hands being between my legs, if that makes sense. I then got a very light back-of-the-hand brush over front and back and a thorough pat around the top of my hips.

Certainly not the high point of my trip, but it was as sensitively managed as I can imagine it being.

4. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Season Pass Gold

My wife got patted down three times out of four going thru LAX last month, not even a peck on the cheek after !

Apresski, Cuppa and Summit like this.
  5. Born2skii

Born2skii Dedicated Member

I found LAX last month much more relaxed in regards to security. You can go from domestic to international without even going through any LAX security if you have a boarding pass for your next flight.

6. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

That depends on which terminal you land in. But yes, the airside terminal connector tunnels work well from T6 right through to TBIT.

7. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The joys of replacement hips - guarentees a pat down at every security point, even in domestic Oz now. Some are polite, mainly in Asia but unfortunately in Oz and US most are big headed wannabe dictators with the personality of a hungry dog. Maybe that's the way they are trained but it doesn't have to be so consistantly nasty.:(

freddy and Call_me_Ishmael like this.
  8. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

One ADF ski team tour ('99 so pre the world getting too up tight) we had a running joke that if pulled up for a pat down you had to look over the shoulder at the agent and ask "do I have to pay extra for this?". For some reason Swiss border officials didn't find it amusing...

9. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Summit likes this.
  10. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Needs pics of the groper !

11. Summit

Season Pass Gold

How much stuff can you fit in a tooth !

12. Summit

Season Pass Gold

I transited through LAX a couple of months ago. Can't remember much about it except that they had Qantas way out in the back blocks. I've always found a switched off brain, roll with the flow mind is the best defence against what airport admin can throw at you...but recently terrorists have targeted airports !

13. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Canada looks good.
    No fat **** rubbing my junk at the Airport there.

14. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

The standard Swiss lack of a sense of humour. They make the Krauts look like stand-up comedians.

cold wombat likes this.
  15. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Has a single ever terrorist or violence intended event ever actually been stopped by pat downs?

Does anyone actually ever try to board with weapons or explosives and get caught?

16. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It was @JoeKing not tsa

markopolo, Egbert and Summit like this.
  17. Summit

Season Pass Gold

How would you know if an increase in airport security has stopped a terrorist attack ? When you consider within the last year there's been attacks in terminals before they get to security, it seems pretty obvious the attacks were designed to happen before they got to security. Now when you enter airports there is more security as soon as you walk in to the airport, well before you get to security. It's not about reducing security when you go through the security checks, it's about increasing it as soon as you get to the airport.
    A lot less likely to try if they think they'll get caught.

18. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Joe would be looking further afield than just a peck on the cheek !

19. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Inferiority complex setting in here, airport Sepos have never made a play for my junk !

20. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

Yeahbut you didn't go through three times to try and make it happen.

Marty_McSly, Summit and qwill like this.
  21. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In 2015, the TSA discovered 2,653 firearms in carry-on bags and 2,198 of those — that’s 80 per cent — were loaded. The number was a 20 per cent increase over 2014, according to the TSA’s blog.The agency has not yet issued its annual review for 2016, but has been documenting firearms found in carry-on bags weekly.
    The TSA allows passengers to carry firearm while travelling through US airports, but strict rules govern how passengers are supposed to handle them.
    Firearms must remain unloaded and kept “in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only,” according to the Transportation Security Administration’s website.

22. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

^^^ this ^^^ in combination with the Mem Fox story and a procession of similar ones.

One traveller's report in the SMH described a similar experience to Mem Fox - one of the travelling party gets pulled aside for a couple of hours and is then let go with no reasons being given at either end of the process. If that happens people could well miss connecting flights. I bet there's no compensation if that happens - does travel insurance cover the cost of changing flights in that case?

I think it's a lot easier to go to Canada instead of the US and fly AirNZ or Air Canada (or Qantas direct when they're running flights) to bypass the place altogether.

23. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

24. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

"Me thinks they doth protest too much"

There are a lot of folk trying to attribute shit like this to Trump, when in reality it has happened forever at the US and other countries borders (including ours). Men Fox was quoted as saying "she was aggressively asked about her finances and the nature of her trip. The implication, she says, was that she was coming here to work. Fox says that the conference organizers were paying for her hotel and an honorarium that just about covered the cost of her flight."

Having worked for a musician who travelled to the USA a lot, and knowing what a PIA it is to do anything other than travel there as a tourist, I would bet she was travelling on a tourist visa. Her line "conference organizers were paying for her hotel and an honorarium" is code in the arts and entertainment industry for "if we pay you a fee, you need to travel on a special visa, so we won't call it a fee.

It's not like the TSA don't know this, and they will make life difficult for you, or even turn you around if they choose.

Mem is a serious lefty who doesn't hesitate to use her notoriety to make a point, and I imagine she wasn't going to go quietly on this one. Regardless of the circumstances.

Its someone else country, either you respect their procedures or as others have said, just don't travel there.

25. Summit

Season Pass Gold

Mem was just dirty her junk wasn't given a good rubbing !

26. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Lol you are bad! :D

Piste Again and Summit like this.
  27. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

The problem I see is that in the US they take it so much further than anyone else. In Canada I've always been welcomed with at least a smile and the occasional "welcome to Canada, sir". The Kiwis are friendly and even the Swiss will crack a smile if you engage them in conversation. But not the Mercans - they are usually rude and seem to enjoy making people squirm. They were just as bad on my first visit there in 1992 - we arrived in New York and the immigration guys were ripping into each other, so the arrivals copped it at all turns.

One time we got randomly hauled aside leaving Vancouver - where you clear US customs and immigration before boarding the flight - for a transit through LA to Sydney. They got our bags back up from being loaded and went through them. Nothing. Then the guy went through our hand luggage and triumphantly held up a bag of apples like a kid who's just found a $5 note on the footpath. Gleefully, with a huge grin on his face, he took them off to show his supervisor who pointed out to him that apples with "product of Canada" stickers in a "Canadian Apples" bag are allowed into the US. The scowl on his face when he got back was palpable.

I've always tried to avoid transits through the US for these reasons. If they're making it even harder to get through then I'll try harder not to have to deal with them. Voting with my wallet.

28. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Are they like the police with quota requirements for catching speeding drivers perhaps?

29. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I wasn't passing any judgement on it, just genuinely curious if anyone (beyond the deterrent) actually had tried to get past security carrying a bomb etc. Hipo's post seems to indicate they do!

30. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Fify

31. Summit

Season Pass Gold

32. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

I've always thought this in the past, however on my recent trip (Feb 2017) they were weirdly friendly. (I'm talking about the immigration passport-checking guys, not the security X-ray people who were so keen to give me a pat-down.) They actually politely directed me to the right queue, smiled and wished me a nice vacation ... freaked me out because that's never been my experience before.

LAX had big posters promoting the fact that they wanted to "hear your feedback" about their service. No way was I brave enough to offer feedback!

And then TSA broke my bag lock so took the shine off the whole thing.

33. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Back in November 2015 I was coming home from NYC via LA. Busted arm at the shoulder joint I was in a sling. No issues at JFK but at LAX they wanted me to stand intheir scanning machine with legs akimbo and arms in the air. I politely explained that wasn't possible because of my busted shoulder joint. They decided on a painful physical inspection that had them lifting said busted arm to check for irregularities. Arseholes.

34. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

If only they had held Mem Fox a lot longer. Maybe they were looking for the green sheep (that's a euphemism for the junk!....they just needed to grab it....and make America great again) :eek:

35. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

36. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Season Pass Gold

something slightly weird after coming back from Snowmass, a note in one of our bags indicating it had been opened by TSA AND a recipe card for Spaghetti Alfredo with proprietary ingredients ! LOL

Budgiesmuggler and K_Bird like this.
  37. K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

I once bought a snowboard helmet that was packaged in a box printed with a recipe for potato bake. Maybe there's a link??

38. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe the TSA agent who checked your bag had the munchies from something he'd found earlier?

39. bomber

bomber Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Why are all of the young female immigration agents at Vancouver (YVR) always so rude?

40. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Shite and boring job plus they get tired of dealing with all the usual characters trying it on with visa fraud, fake passports etc....often from parts of east and south Asia but not exclusively.

41. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Get a reasonably attractive woman to do the pat-downs and guys would be lining up no complaints.

42. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Except for those saving thenselves for their 72 virgins

43. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I got pulled aside Mem fox style for a bit in NY once. Was all ok and they were not rude (but not exactly polite)

44. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I could never understand the desire for 72 virgins. I'd want someone with some experience under the sheets!

45. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It's a breed, immigration agents are not particularly polite anywhere and some of them are downright rude, no matter their nationality.

46. Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Agreed. Plus potentially 72 mothers in law. Fa ark that.

47. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

I've always maintained that I'd prefer half a dozen raging sluts.

48. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

And the raging rashes you get from them? LOL