1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tukino

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by GlenH, Jul 24, 2011.

1. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Does anyone have any experience skiing Tukino?

We are spending a week in Ohakune mid August intending to ski Whakapapa and Turoa, but are tempted to visit "the Wild side" with its boast of a base of over 3 metres, and wondered what it was like.

We are pretty much groomed run skiers from Oz so not sure how much time we would spend falling about in the ungroomed stuff at Tukino!

Interested in any feedback thanks.

2. Darksidepoints

Darksidepoints Hard Yards

I've never been but would love to go. Later in the season they do guided trips from Whakapapa, you walk up to the crater then go down the Tukino side and get picked up. Pricey but would be really cool.

The problem is getting in and out of there, it's a 4wd only road and I hear pretty rugged.

If you see a loud bossy ticket checker at Whakas with a Kelly name tag, give us some chocolate [​IMG]

#2 Darksidepoints, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. grantn

grantn Addicted

Saw your post about staying in Ohakune - I'm also staying in Ohakune, from Sunday 14th August to Monday 21st August - mainly snowboarding at Turoa, but keen to give Tukino a go too, if the weather suits. I'm hiring a car, but won't have a 4WD. I saw on one of your other posts you are looking at hiring a 4WD. If you guys are going to Tukino, and have one seat, give me a call - I'd like to find someone going & chip in for petrol. If that doesn't suit you guys obviously that's cool. P.M me if you guys are still thinking of going to Tukino.

4. orklundSkier

orklundSkier First Runs

Kelly, I'll be at Whakas this weekend. If I see you, I'll give you a SkiSling

EDIT: :doh:! I see you're a boarder! We have BoardSlings in testing, but not in production yet.

#4 orklundSkier, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Darksidepoints

Well I do ski sometimes, but I don't have my own gear. Thanks anyway though! Weekend was a bit f a non event. worked the Rocky all Saturday and it was super quiet, then got sent home on Sunday due to it being HV only.

6. iski4u2

iski4u2 First Runs

Your not going to admit to the awesome beyond words Tuesday sking/boarding you had are you [​IMG]

How many times did we all find ways of digging tunnels in that snow and swimming in powder [​IMG]

#6 iski4u2, Aug 18, 2011
  7. Darksidepoints

OMG Tuesday was the most amazing day I've ever had up there, terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

8. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We never made it to Tukino.

There was too much awesome skiing to be done at the two main fields on Mt Ruapehu.

9. iski4u2

iski4u2 First Runs

I saw you bailing a few times [​IMG]

#9 iski4u2, Aug 25, 2011