US currency in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Passport' started by LDJ, Nov 9, 2018.

1. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Silver Bruce

What are best options (best rates) in Brisbane to get US currency. Is it exchange booths? Online? Banks? Other? I’m fully aware of all the usual Citibank/other free withdrawal CC or similar oversees approaches but in the immortal words of back to the future where we are going they don’t have credit card machines or many if any ATMs I can use (Tribal areas in Ethiopia) and US dollar is king

2. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @LDJ - What are you doing? - No snow in Ethiopia :D

Others might have some alternatives but when I normally grab a whack of (physical) USD in Brissy I just grab it from my nearest BOQ. Usually competitive in terms of rates (across majors) and if you are talking large enough amounts where the variance makes a significant $ difference then you probably should be looking at other options anyway (i.e. not having that much in physical cash). Keeping in mind FX is going to be variable anyway - so a single day could = the same difference +- so I guess I am saying don't get too hung up on the rate - you might save $ getting the physical cash with x only to have the rate move the next day effectively losing $$

Might be an idea to hit up some bigger travel centric forums (like trip advisor) to see how others are handling access to cash/funds v risk etc. specifically in Ethiopia (because I'm guessing you are going to need some other options than bulk cash sourced in Brissy).

LDJ likes this.
  3. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Silver Bruce

happy wife happy life.

4. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Silver Bruce

logical thanks I’ll buy some and then not look at the rate again for fear of buyers remorse

5. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Silver Bruce

Check out Crown Currency. Can be found at most large shopping centres. Rates are very good, no commission. If you are changing >$1000 you can negotiate rates.

6. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Fretting about exchange rates when you're only talking about some holiday spending money is like driving around town trying to find that one servo that's still a cent a litre cheaper.

oldgeezer and coolair like this.
  7. me tun

me tun Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

I'd also ask for some really crisp notes i.e., no folds or dog ears. In my experience some African countries can be funny about USD that is not crisp and you'll get less for it their end.

LDJ and di6loc like this.