USA 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Even though the 2009-2010 season hasn't ended yet and some nice snow is coming through over the next few weeks.

Many of us have turned to thoughts about the next season in the USA.

Some have already booked
wink.gif

So here it is again

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>USA 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread</span>

Last edited by a moderator:

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Good timing for the thread, most of us are home now and definitely thinking about next year.

Plan A: Warming up in the Seattle Area followed by Heliskiing out of Haines, AK
Plan B: Chamonix
Plan C: Cheap & Cheerful Spring Fling, most likely in Tahoe - Squaw/Alpine/Kirkwood/Mammoth.

All options are in the March/April window.

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
My next trip will definitely be North America but I just can't decide between Canada and the US, road trip or stay in one spot for a couple of weeks? Bleh

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

try hard

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
We'll be going somewhere and most probably US again this time rather than Canada. Just mooching through all the resorts and lift pass deals etc. Decisions, decisions.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Crystal said:
I've been doing the US/Canada throw around. Decided on Canada for us now just based on resorts suited to our family.
So I guess that means Whitefish is out ?

I think I'll wait till later in the year and see what airfares are around. After all half the fun is in the deciding.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
I've just booked fares 5 minutes ago for SLC, late Jan to mid Feb 2011
Never booked so early for a trip in my life.

try hard

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Gosh, the Latest I've ever booked for the following January was March 31st a couple of years back when V Australia launched with $999 return deals ( of course they didn't get off the ground on time, pardon the pun, and we got transferred to the then new Qantas A380). Gee,i'd better get moving.

H

Hacski

While mrs and missHac are having girl time in Los Angeles over New Years, on the way to Sun Peaks, I'm catching up with Seattle friends and hope for a couple of days at Stevens Pass.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Yes.... whitefish off the cards, we will head back when our little one is ready for their ski school
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
About to pull the trigger on flights with V Australia and 2 x Pay Now Epic Passes at $599 US.

Must book flights by the 31st of March to get 4.5 Amex points per $1
biggrin.gif
after this date it's only the standard 1.5 points per $1

Beaver Creek is on the cards along with Breckenridge

Tahoe - Heavenly would be "free" to ski as part of the Epic Pass, so probably end up back there again. Although Mammoth Mountain is calling my name along with Squaw valley (as I didn't get there this year)

Only spanner is that I would like to visit Europe but cheap airfares to the USA, the Epic Pass along with a nice large new condo make Europe a harder sell.

Will dedicate Friday night to making final plans, but 95% set on USA 2011
biggrin.gif

Timeframe is 14-21 days of pure skiing at this stage, with a quick Vegas fling thrown in for good measure!

cleeshoy

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
Melbourne
Already booked 2 weeks based in Breck for late Jan - Feb 2011 :)
Will have a car so can hit the other areas also........already excited!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thought I read somewhere that you had already booked
smile.gif

Expect no less from you of course
wink.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Booked!!!!!!!!!!! The flights to Los Angeles

V Australia again
biggrin.gif

29th Jan to 20th Feb

309 days to go
tantrum.gif

cleeshoy

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
Melbourne
skidown said:
Thought I read somewhere that you had already booked
smile.gif

Expect no less from you of course
wink.gif

We actually booked our flights whilst we were in New York after the Heavenly component of our Jan-Feb trip
smile.gif
Gotta book early for those Premium Economy QFF tix! :)
Accomodation is already sorted also - I am told we rather organised ;-)

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Madness!! :) New US thread.. Can't wait to get back there, the possibilities are keeping me awake at night (sometimtes). Trying to convince he +1 that 6 weeks would be a 'great idea'. Telluride and Breck are on the cards at this stage, however according to the posts so far I'd say I'm the last one out of the gate with bookings
laugh.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
For anyone thinking of booking in the next few days with V Australia and using American Express

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/american-express/index.htm

An extra 3 BONUS points with every $1 spent.

So for most Amex cardholders this is 4.5 Membership reward points per $1 spent.

Then you get your velocity points from flying as well!

biggrin.gif

I have been told that this exact offer WILL end on the 31st of March, but something else is coming soon
smile.gif
Won't be as generous though from what I have heard...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Well "Born2Ski's dumpster' worked. I'm the proud owner of new phats! woohoo. Of course it helped she spend up big at clothes shops.
laugh.gif

Hmmm, amex and VA??? But will my wife let me book a 2nd trip in March 2011 as well? darling, Skidown made me do it!
laugh.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
You'll need the phats over the next few weeks me thinks!

laugh.gif
Yeh I used this promotion for my recent flight across and now for next years flight.

Go the 2nd trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a certain poster who used to spruke North American Deals who hopefully is gone from these forums again...

V Australia are increasing their frequencies to the USA
smile.gif
Well putting back some of what they cancelled due to the economic crisis.

Melbourne to Los Angeles back to 3 times a week on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday
Sydney to Los Angeles goes back to Daily instead of 6 times a week

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Our flights on VA over January and this trip were full. They're in 'the black' after start up, and they're kicking Qantas' qantass too.

Hey B2S, I'll be at the main (near Comet and dipper Express lifts) day lodge tommorrow at 10.30am. You know the parka, and its not a purple one piece either coz I couldn't find one in the dumpster.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Vet, inside the lodge or just outside ? I'll be there, bottom of the Dipper at 10.30am. Just look out for my monster helmet.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
My flight across in early Feb was full except for about 4 seats in the pointy end. Economy on my walk through was very full as well
My flight back early March was very empty in the pointy end, only about 13 people sitting there. Economy was about 3/4 full. But it's off-peak time for travel..

Okay for 2011:
Just booked 8 nights in Beaver Creek
biggrin.gif

Now what to do for the next 14 days....

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Born2ski said:
Vet, inside the lodge or just outside ? I'll be there, bottom of the Dipper at 10.30am. Just look out for my monster helmet.

Probaby outside, near the chair closest to the building. There ain't any yanks with a podium parka

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
skidown said:
My flight across in early Feb was full except for about 4 seats in the pointy end. Economy on my walk through was very full as well
My flight back early March was very empty in the pointy end, only about 13 people sitting there. Economy was about 3/4 full. But it's off-peak time for travel..

Okay for 2011:
Just booked 8 nights in Beaver Creek
biggrin.gif

Now what to do for the next 14 days....
8 night in Beaver Creek - boy that is a lot in one place !
We were a bit bored after 2 days there !

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Snowbunny2: Will go to Vail for 2 of those days at least!

The Wang: As per the bunny's comments. Much easier if you have a car/suv though!

Would love to go to Aspen
tongue.gif
but I have the EPIC pass so "restricted" to the epic pass resorts!

Had to justify spending extra when we can ski for around $35 a day with the Epic pass!

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
skidown said:

The Wang: As per the bunny's comments. Much easier if you have a car/suv though!

tongue.gif

Had to justify spending extra when we can ski for around $35 a day with the Epic pass!

If you do drive and park in Vail - I can tell you were to park for free all day !

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Snowbunny2 said:
skidown said:

tongue.gif

If you do drive and park in Vail - I can tell you were to park for free all day !

Hmmmmm I'll PM you closer to the dates
wink.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Skidown you'd be so proud of me, I rented a car from HERTZ today, NOT Avis.
eek.gif
Got a great deal on a Nissan Xterra(4WD).

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
The Wang said:
So you'll have a hire car skidown? If so, who are you hiring from?

Yes always have a 4WD, but it's a waste.

I always rent through Hertz mainly due to my status with them and the Escalade which I love driving.. But they are more expensive than others.

Depending where you stay, you really don't need one. In Breckenridge it was a waste as the hotel had a free on-call shuttle. But in Beaver Creek, I stayed at the Westin (Avon) and it was helpful as they don't provide transportation.

Also the transfers via http://www.ridecme.com/ end up costing quite a bit to/from airport and the resorts!

Avis would be the recommendation. http://www.avis.co.uk and you can get a very cheap rate with them, I think you need a code or discount code or something, but Born2ski will provide that
smile.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Born2ski said:
Skidown you'd be so proud of me, I rented a car from HERTZ today, NOT Avis.
eek.gif
Got a great deal on a Nissan Xterra(4WD).

HAHAHAHAHA
thumbsup.gif

Just posted how you would recommend Avis and I recommend Hertz
laugh.gif

How did u get the great deal ? Push at the counter for a better price ?

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
We did the bus trip from Avon to Vail in 2009 - much fun and games ! We stood out in the falling snow waiting for the bus for more time, then we were on the bus to get to Vail !
So the next day we just drove to Vail and paid for the undercover car park - $25 for the 4 of us!
Of cause we found out later were to park for free ! This year we stayed in Vail - on the shuttle run. This was much better !
The Westin is very nice. Got the Gondola at your door step ! Avon is NO Breckenridge for a town ! We stayed in the Canyon Run Condo 3 Bedroom - very nice !

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
beer.gif

I'm tempted to stay in Frisco with a hire car and get the Epic Pass so I can try all the resorts in the area

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I'm now a Hertz #1 Club Gold Member. And lets just say UK websites offer great packages for Hertz and Avis.

I'll have rented five different cars this trip, 4 with Avis, 1 with Hertz. I just pick the one that offers the best deal.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Snowbunny2 said:
The Westin is very nice. Got the Gondola at your door step ! Avon is NO Breckenridge for a town ! We stayed in the Canyon Run Condo 3 Bedroom - very nice !

Indeed Avon is no Breckenridge!!! But the Westin makes up for it and the Gondola to the door step, along with the ski valet guys!

Born2ski said:
I'm now a Hertz #1 Club Gold Member. And lets just say UK websites offer great packages for Hertz and Avis.

I'll have rented five different cars this trip, 4 with Avis, 1 with Hertz. I just pick the one that offers the best deal.

I used to avoid using .com or .co.uk with Hertz as they used to have a policy that they would cancel your reservation if you booked a car using the website that is not your "Country of Residence".

I priced out 17 days for January:
2,230.98 AUD using the .co.uk site
2,249.27 AUD using the .com.au site

Will have to keep an eye on it
wink.gif

The Wang said:
beer.gif

I'm tempted to stay in Frisco with a hire car and get the Epic Pass so I can try all the resorts in the area

That is definitely the way to go !
smile.gif

Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it

Epic pass is the way to go, and is the only real reason I am heading back to the USA again, and the Mc Resorts and not going somewhere else.

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
haha ok, I think I may have to start fierce planning and saving
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
How long are you thinking of going for ?
Traveling alone or with other/s ?

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
Nothing definite yet. That's the kind of trip I'd like to go on with some friends because I think the +1 would get a bit bored, to be honest. But alot of my friends are doing crazy things like having babies and buying houses so options are limited in that regard....

I'd like to go for a couple of weeks. I've always felt that flying to North America for less than that isn't worth it

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
Trick is to finally make the +1 fall in love with skiing (or snowboarding, I'm not fussy), so she's happy to come!
laugh.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
The Wang said:
Trick is to finally make the +1 fall in love with skiing (or snowboarding, I'm not fussy), so she's happy to come!
laugh.gif

Indeed - I did that with the current +1. She in fact was prompting me to book the airfares and the accommodation ASAP as she had a blast this time.

thumbsup.gif

I think the several visits to the outlet malls for shopping, and a few nice massages from the day spa's helped though
grin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
CarveMan said:
You guys have lots to learn. CarveGirl, unbeknownst to her, was taken for a ski interview. She subsequently passed, judged by a panel of experts, so the courtship could commence.

clap.gif

But... you are probably the only person on the forum that lucky
tongue.gif

I also have no problem stocking up on cheap Calvin Klein work shirts for $30 and a few nice lazy massages though
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass