USA 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Bato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2005
Jindabyne/Brunswick Heads
www.facebook.com
Just came off the mountain at The Canyons, we have had about a foot at mid mountain so far with massive wind drifts, one cat driver found one as big as his cat and this is after about 6 hours of snow, sled tracks were completely covered within 15minutes and vis was 0, tomorrow is going to be epic once the AC is done.

JackDarcy

First Runs
Oct 6, 2010
Zeroz said:
oreo said:
Skiing the upper face
180183_10150391539765112_801325111_17270706_2557931_n.jpg
Not sure what is going on with the artistic framing and squishing the skier into the top corner, but I like the pic anyway.

Great place for skiing. I like skiing and pic also beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Nice Snorkler. Just once I would like to be somewhere that gets a 1M+ dump in 24 hours (best I have had so far was 63cm's I think). Was up late last night and had the weather channel on and they were showing all the dumpage out your way and I was thinking send it over. Sadly when I went to bed it was still clear but woke to snow and the hill had reported 3" by 5am. When I got up there my boy was clearing all the fresh from bins/chairs etc. anc there was probably about 5-6" and they ended up reporting 8" but was pretty sunny/clear after about 2pm. Did curse my other half as I was on my own with both the kids but even so was pretty nice out there
smile.gif

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Turned out to be an awesome day. Spent the entire day on KT-22 and getting deep stuff all day long. The snow was in top condition and it just kept on puking down. I rode this log and a few hours later, it was covered again for me to do it all over again.

I can't complain. Would be nice to be here tommorow but there'll be more people around if they get round to opening the upper mountain, and then on top it's president's weekend, Not so nice that...too many people

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
This is my first presidents weekend in the US, crowds on the mountain cant be too bad right? Wait.... Where am I?? <Breckenridge> NOOOOoooooo..........

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Little Tiger said:
Tilt said:
This is my first presidents weekend in the US, crowds on the mountain cant be too bad right? Wait.... Where am I?? <Breckenridge> NOOOOoooooo..........

Try Beaver Creek on Sunday I believe....
Ok, I'm willing to go there. Today at Breck was crazy, there were heaps of people getting around the mountain in jeans, slick hair and sun glasses trying hard to end their lives.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Still snowing heavily when we left squaw this morning, and steady rain right back to SF. As of this morning 75" total, with more snow to come over the weekend and another system due mon/tue.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
I can only wonder what it would have been like without that freaky high pressure system hanging over us for the whole time we stayed at Squaw. If you have taken some mx, post some pics please
smile.gif

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Charles said:
I can only wonder what it would have been like without that freaky high pressure system hanging over us for the whole time we stayed at Squaw.........

First time in 3 trips to Tahoe that I haven't had pow days. Its good.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Well Taxman I will have to say this, even without the pow I still enjoyed the place so much. I am big on Japan and did the first two seasons at Niseko but now that place has gone to the dogs. Did Hakuba and loved it though I hope the place remains pure and doesn't end up like it's Northern cousin. The US though, a place I wasn't that keen on as we were going to do Canada and at the last minute decided due to cost and everything being late minute we should head to California.

I visited the US back in 98 and basically traveled to whole country (14 flights) and came to the one conclusion, California San Francisco was my favorite location. After staying at Tahoe and visiting the nearby towns, all I can say it the people there are fantastic. The resort was great and the crowds were minimal. The snow was not falling but as you found out, there was a lot already on the ground and the groomers did an excellent job each night.

So from all this dribble I have posted what does it mean? It means yes, I have to agree with you Taxman, it is very good. So good now that my planned Japan trip next year is under serious threat.. I want to see what Squaw would be like with powder.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
I'll try and dig up some photos of pow days at Squaw and Kirkwood from 2 years ago and Northstar from last year. 2 years ago (January 2009) Vet & I were doing laps of Gold Coast and Shirlys in need deep with no one else around . Last year during the pre Easter epic dump, Vet & I had the back of Nothstar to ourselves.

My hit rate for pow days has been better in Tahoe than Hakuba and I definatley like the vibe of Tahoe (Squaw, Alpine Meadows and Kirwood especially).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
There was a bit of a sprinkle on the mountain (6") last night at Breck, was an interesting morning. After cramming in with the mass of bodies (presidents weekend) formed at the base of Quicksilver I made a direct line for Peak 10. I could only laugh, honestly, watching everyone scramble - ha ha ha.. I still got my butt onto the Falcon chair in ok time and picked up a few good powder runs. I called it at around 11:30am, I'm looking forward to most people going home, back to work, etc.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Taxman said:
I'll try and dig up some photos of pow days at Squaw and Kirkwood from 2 years ago and Northstar from last year. 2 years ago (January 2009) Vet & I were doing laps of Gold Coast and Shirlys in need deep with no one else around . Last year during the pre Easter epic dump, Vet & I had the back of Nothstar to ourselves.

My hit rate for pow days has been better in Tahoe than Hakuba and I definatley like the vibe of Tahoe (Squaw, Alpine Meadows and Kirwood especially).

Just back from Colorado/Utah. My hit rate for powder just about everywhere is better than Hakuba and I have spent plenty of time there.

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Less people on the mountain at Breck today, I guess a fair few decided to check out and head home this morning /shrug. Either way, better for us, less dodging :)

RG

First Runs
Jul 22, 2002
Sydney
Well I'm finally in Breck. Today was interesting, but powder was hard to find. hope something falls soon. Or maybe I just don't know where to look?

what would be a good spot to explore tomorrow?

Thank,
GK

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Taxman said:

i loved the place

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
vet said:
Squaw's terrible. They don't give out free beer and hotdogs to bogans like they do in Japan.
smile.gif

Just reminded me of that cheap as plate of nachos at the Blue Coyote that 4 of us couldn't get through. Not free, but pretty good and no fun police to spoil the vibe (unlike Northstar).

RG

First Runs
Jul 22, 2002
Sydney
It sure was a good day today
day19_breck2-1067.jpg

Not much fresh, but groomed runs were nice and fast
day19_breck2-1126.jpg

Then the wind picked up a little
day19_breck2-1168.jpg

But it was nice in the trees

day19_breck2-1197.jpg

Looking forward to some fresh snow.

GK

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Taxman said:
vet said:
Squaw's terrible. They don't give out free beer and hotdogs to bogans like they do in Japan.
smile.gif

Just reminded me of that cheap as plate of nachos at the Blue Coyote that 4 of us couldn't get through. Not free, but pretty good and no fun police to spoil the vibe (unlike Northstar).

Just reminded me of the poisonous dish I had to choose: Melbourne Airport Parking or taxi fares.
tantrum.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
vet said:
Just reminded me of the poisonous dish I had to choose: Melbourne Airport Parking or taxi fares.
tantrum.gif
Did you look at one way car rentals ? That worked out cheaper than airport parking at the Gold Coast for us.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
vet said:
Taxman said:
vet said:
smile.gif

tantrum.gif

That's easy, the taxi. At least then you know it's going to a good person instead of a Bank.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
What is this with Northstar and what is the mocks I was hearing about Alpine from a crew at Mamasake? Is there some rivalry thing happening between the Tahoe resorts?
I think a lot of ski resort food can be very hit and miss, a bit like Nacho's. I like a good burrito though the best I had was at Pier 39. Mamasake and Plumpjack was nice and the Pizza place was awesome. The outdoor food place at the bottom of the HT-22 Express though is a little nasty. The Blue Coyote doesn't give me fond memories as that was where I saw those bloody Packers win the bowl
frown.gif
Food was good there though
smile.gif

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Alipne is nice and mellow, a bit like Kirkwood. Squaw is cool, but not as laid back (and looks down on Alpine). Northstar has all of the vide of a gulag. I like the skiing, but their fun police (mountain security with their psuedo police uniforms) are a bunch of mofo killjoys.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
I flew out the morning of that last storm Bato. All of my mates loved ribbing me about it and thanked me for leaving as they believe I was the bad luck reason it hadn't snowed for over a week.
laugh.gif

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Looking the goods this weekend.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 24th...
Today and Friday

HEAVY SNOW
The cold storm dropping in from out of the north will develop a fetch across the Pacific, with good moisture entrained within for heavy snowfall, mainly tonight (jet stream+ strong instability + cold front + good moisture) and on Friday. Temperatures look much colder as modified arctic air is dragged south into the area on Friday. The storm moves out faster than expected, dropping south later Friday. Snow showers end Friday night.

From http://www.snowforecast.com/SquawValleyUSA/forecast

P.S. Yes Bato.. I know the feeling

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Got a gopro the other day and over Thursday/Friday tried it out. Bounced off a rock Thursday (damn sore and have a nice big lumb and brusie on my leg) but went out and tried the helment cam Friday (so took it pretty easy - had it mounted on the board Thursday). Here was a quick vid from Friday heading down shadows I think initially (I think I cut into it - I had visabilty issues with my gogs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrwIF9BwyI

Steamboat got a few inches Thursday and were reporting another 8 Friday at 5am so by the time I got out there was close to a foot of fresh ontop of previous falls.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Bato said:
Just started snowing in Park City, 7-11inches forecast for the mountain tonight, if NOAA has underestimated as much as they did the last storm we could be in for a lot more
biggrin.gif

They did the same thing for Sierra. It was going to be a small storm, it brought 4' at the base and 8' at 8000'

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
mx_boarder said:
Taxman said:

i loved the place

It's such a shame you couldn't get me on the camera on the last day doing my PK move in the trees.

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Had a stack, landed flat on my front side. Didn't think too much of it until I could hardly get out of bed the next morning, went to seek medical assistance and X-rays confirmed a broken rib. So bummed out right now. I never knew a busted rib could ache so much, it's hell.. Heading back to Aust a week early :-(

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass