USA 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
2,446
565
363
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Tilt said:
Had a stack, landed flat on my front side. Didn't think too much of it until I could hardly get out of bed the next morning, went to seek medical assistance and X-rays confirmed a broken rib. So bummed out right now. I never knew a busted rib could ache so much, it's hell.. Heading back to Aust a week early :-(
Ouch! - Sorry to hear that Tilt. Not good. I am assuming from your comment that you kept going and it wasn’t an issue until the next day? What did they recommend? just rest and such?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
Scooter said:
Tilt said:
Had a stack, landed flat on my front side. Didn't think too much of it until I could hardly get out of bed the next morning, went to seek medical assistance and X-rays confirmed a broken rib. So bummed out right now. I never knew a busted rib could ache so much, it's hell.. Heading back to Aust a week early :-(
Ouch! - Sorry to hear that Tilt. Not good. I am assuming from your comment that you kept going and it wasn’t an issue until the next day? What did they recommend? just rest and such?
Yes, essentially I got up off the snow (after a while
wink.gif
), dusted myself off and kept going down the mountain. Soon afterwards I noticed a crazy radiating pain around my right rib area, it wasn't long after that I decided to call it a day. It ached that afternoon/evening, but I just thought it was heavy bruising or something.

So, I dropped into the medical centre across the street the next day (since the pain increased overnight), they took a bunch of X-rays, then sometime later a Dr showed up and said the images show a broken rib. With this type of injury there isn't anything that can be done as treatment, other than pain management during the early stages of healing.

Considering I had trouble getting dressed and putting on my own shoes that morning, I had given up on the idea of going up the mountain. The Dr also strongly recommended giving riding a miss for the rest of the trip, he said if I fell again there is a chance the bone could puncture my right lung or kidney.

Very unfortunate, but I guess it happens.

Btw, ski-insurance.com.au came to the rescue, I'm very happy with their assistance and covering medical costs etc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
2,446
565
363
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Yeah, does happen and could have been worse. Seen a fair few folks being taken off the hill as we walk past the ski patrol medical center at the bottom which is where they load the ambos (down near the gondola – so you also see the blood buckets coming down on the ride up as well).
I was curious about the ribs as I copped a chair into my right side the other week (was a big/hard hit – damn the kids
mrbang.gif
hard trying to deal with two little ones and getting them loaded but they are a bit better now and more importantly I NOW ask for help if I am on my own with them
wink.gif
). Really knocked me about but didn’t think too much about it until the next couple of days when I was in agony. I reckon what exacerbated my issue was these new K2 cinch bindings (I am inflexible at the best of times and with these I was reaching down to pull them up so really crunching my right side).

I had the weekend off but as the kids were in ski school last week I just toughed it out so I could ride with my other half and Monday/Tuesday were absolute agony (at one stage I swear there was a pop/squash of something in my side). After a few days it seemed to improve (drugs and movement seems to have helped) but after almost two weeks I definitely still have an issue as it is painful if I sleep on that side (or apply direct pressure) etc. so have debated if I should go and get it Xrayed. Thing is there was no bruising or visible sign that there was anything wrong which I assumed there would be with a broken or badly bruised rib. At this stage was just going to see how it pans out.

Not worth you hanging around if you can’t ride (switch to other activities)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cleeshoy

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
1,035
0
186
Melbourne
Tilt - that sux dude. I have hurt my ribs in the past and the pain can be pretty intense.
When I cracked a rib a few years ago, +1 had to take a couple of days off work just to help me around the house. Its amazing how much of your "core" muscles you use in everyday life - I wasn't even able to sit up or get myself out of bed without assistance.

I can tell you to try and avoid sneezing for the next few weeks! As my ribs were healing, everytime I sneezed (thankfully that didn't happen too many times), it literally bought tears to my eyes....
 

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
cleeshoy said:
Tilt - that sux dude. I have hurt my ribs in the past and the pain can be pretty intense.
When I cracked a rib a few years ago, +1 had to take a couple of days off work just to help me around the house. Its amazing how much of your "core" muscles you use in everyday life - I wasn't even able to sit up or get myself out of bed without assistance.

I can tell you to try and avoid sneezing for the next few weeks! As my ribs were healing, everytime I sneezed (thankfully that didn't happen too many times), it literally bought tears to my eyes....
Cleesh, you wouldn't believe it, but I have actually developed a nasty cough on top of this rib injury, like the Dr was saying to me the other day "This is not the time to have a cough!" (no kidding?). Yes, a coughing fit pretty much puts me on my knees..

Scooter, its probably worth getting checked out if you have concerns. Best case is that there isn't anything wrong (structure is all intact), but I was glad to find out what was going on so I didn't make things worse if I had yard sale or something like that.

Ultimately its up to the individual if they continue riding or not, I could probably pop 2 x Hydrocodone tabs and then hit the mountain. Other than breaching the code, the risk for me is too high to cause further (possibly more serious) injury. I know where to draw the line and there is always next season.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cleeshoy

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
1,035
0
186
Melbourne
Tilt - a bad cough + broken ribs is NOT fun. I hope cough medicine works for you to stop the coughing bit! With your current luck, you would probably be allergic to the cough medicine and break out with a rash or something!

I know you were in Breck, did you go anywhere also also?
 

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
Na, just Breck. Been here for 3 weeks so far, still had around 8 days to go but we are heading home on Wednesday.
 
Tilt said:
Ultimately its up to the individual if they continue riding or not, I could probably pop 2 x Hydrocodone tabs and then hit the mountain. Other than breaching the code, the risk for me is too high to cause further (possibly more serious) injury. I know where to draw the line and there is always next season.
thumbsup.gif


My brother was a mountain climber - he used to say the mountain would still be here tomorrow... the trick was to make sure you would still be there to climb it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
Back in OZ now, a week early
frown.gif
flight home (DIA --> SFO --> SYD) was ok, particularly made easier with pain management. Will make up for the lost time next season.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

3decks

One of Us
Feb 1, 2002
2,239
1
188
Just back

First weeks was a bit so so but still managed to hunt some fresh out.

The we gor 3.6m in 2weeks

Ouch

Ended up doing a mix of US and CA - the weather for the states didnt look productive for the second half of the trip in the US. Turned out to be a good call.

NYC for a couple of weeks at the end to round out the trip was nice.

I have way too much new snow gear.
 

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,434
1,506
1,063
Northstar @ Tahoe

Great that the resort was purchase by Vail Resorts as it gives them the cash to get things done!!! Was thinking that this would happen given that Vail wants to improve the resort!

http://news.vailresorts.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1284

Vail Resorts to Invest $30 Million in Projects to Enhance Guest Experience at Northstar-at-Tahoeâ„¢ for the 2011-2012 Season

Exciting news from Northstar® Resort! Vail Resorts is moving aggressively to further elevate the profile and service levels of Northstar-at-Tahoe™ through some new signature amenities. And amazingly, these improvements will be completed for the 2011-12 winter season!

Expansion plans include:

* Installation of a new high-speed chairlift, with a vertical rise of 1,440 ft., that will service expanded gladed terrain and additional ski trails on the Back Side
* New snowmaking on some of the Back Side trails (new trails and Drifter)
* Construction of a new 500-seat on-mountain restaurant built in a great Western Lodge style
* New national retail outlets (including Patagonia and Burton) in The Village at Northstarâ„¢
* A signature restaurant in The Village






Give the Village has LOTS of high end luxury Condo's the mountain was lacking the facilities to back this up. I loved the accommodation at Northstar, but the lift lines are long, and not much to eat on the mountain or in the Village at night.

A new 700 seat on-mountain restaurant will greatly improve the on-mountain eating experience. We had to eat at the Ritz Carlton most days to get a decent meal/service without waiting for a table.

Another restaurant in the Village at night is much needed. We gave up trying to eat out and cooked for the last few nights

A new lift and a 10% increase in terrain is great!!!!

VERY good news!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
21,537
18,076
1,063
Brisbane
skidown said:
Exciting news from Northstar® Resort! Vail Resorts is moving aggressively to further elevate the profile and service levels of Northstar-at-Tahoe™ through some new signature amenities. And amazingly, these improvements will be completed for the 2011-12 winter season!

Expansion plans include:

* Installation of a new high-speed chairlift, with a vertical rise of 1,440 ft., that will service expanded gladed terrain and additional ski trails on the Back Side
* New snowmaking on some of the Back Side trails (new trails and Drifter)
* Construction of a new 500-seat on-mountain restaurant built in a great Western Lodge style
* New national retail outlets (including Patagonia and Burton) in The Village at Northstarâ„¢
* A signature restaurant in The Village
Interesting how a US resort can get ALL this done in one year, but an Aussie resort can't do half as much in TEN years.
rolleyes.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,434
1,506
1,063
http://www.epicpass.com

Season passes go on sale March 14th (USA TIME)

Be interested to see the prices given the big increases in visitors/revenue this year over last, but that was a given considering the economy improving and better snow this year
 
Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,434
1,506
1,063
Born2ski said:
skidown said:
Exciting news from Northstar® Resort! Vail Resorts is moving aggressively to further elevate the profile and service levels of Northstar-at-Tahoe™ through some new signature amenities. And amazingly, these improvements will be completed for the 2011-12 winter season!

Expansion plans include:

* Installation of a new high-speed chairlift, with a vertical rise of 1,440 ft., that will service expanded gladed terrain and additional ski trails on the Back Side
* New snowmaking on some of the Back Side trails (new trails and Drifter)
* Construction of a new 500-seat on-mountain restaurant built in a great Western Lodge style
* New national retail outlets (including Patagonia and Burton) in The Village at Northstarâ„¢
* A signature restaurant in The Village
Interesting how a US resort can get ALL this done in one year, but an Aussie resort can't do half as much in TEN years.
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
I was going to mention that..... Mt Buller has some really EPIC plans, upgrade of lifts etc etc, more restaurants and the like...

But yet the lift that burnt down before last ski season, won't even be replaced for this season, and isn't even approved yet...... They are replacing a beginners lift with ANOTHER fixed grip lift so that beginners can enjoy getting slammed by the chair and falling off etc etc.

Same goes for Perisher's Master plan.... It's another 4-5 years before they even get some new accommodation in the pathetic Village happening.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

WIZO

First Runs
Feb 25, 2008
620
0
0
Mt. Brawler, it's better
Huh, Ski down. What's in the Buller masterplan for anyone queued up on Saturday at Bull Run, Wombat or Howqua?

There's not even a half station on Fed. Coincidentally a 'management' guru believes the 'future' is in newbies, young drinkers, and interschools.. His mate, an architect for Mt Buller's rmb went to Northstar to 'see what all the fuss was about'. Ho hum, they 'borrowed' the idea of a zip line, a skating rink and a condo/shops complex. Where's the real vision?
 

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
1,744
908
363
38
www.skidescent.com
Ok, so back to skiing. Did the Y Couloir today, not the best photo weather but enjoy.

The Y-Couloir is a few minutes before you get to snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah. It's 3400 vertical feet (1,036m) to the top and given the current conditions here, it was a slog. Took about 4 hours of booting up this thing, breaking trail most of the way and avoiding some smaller wet slide activity coming down from the cliffs above, left and right of us.

Here is the Y on a nicer day:
5520958279_54343e057e_z.jpg


196018_10150425158900112_801325111_17693930_1776773_n.jpg

Booting up

199718_10150425158400112_801325111_17693919_4520561_n.jpg

Almost at the top

188452_601350302293_28205701_34251309_7437212_n.jpg

Glad to be at the top


198967_10150425158470112_801325111_17693920_4683018_n.jpg


198390_10150425158070112_801325111_17693916_6949886_n.jpg

At time visibility was a concern

184857_601350716463_28205701_34251317_6250863_n.jpg

It's not a good day unless it involves a river crossing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,434
1,506
1,063
Vail Resorts to spend $120 Million before next years ski season!! WOW and
biggrin.gif


http://buzz.snow.com/outdoor_adventure/b...ki-resorts.aspx

Capital improvements across the resorts include the following:

A new on-mountain fine dining restaurant at Vail close to Mid-Vail at the base of the Look Ma trail
thumbsup.gif


A new high speed quad chairlift to replace the existing fixed grip lift in the Rose Bowl at Beaver Creek
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif


Upgrades and additions of new functionality in a second generation release of the Epic Mix application
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif


Further investments in marketing initiatives including customer relationship marketing (CRM) systems

New family programming at Keystone

Renovations at certain owned lodging properties

New retail store build-outs across certain resorts
thumbsup.gif


A new high-speed lift at Northstar, serving expanded terrain and new ski runs adjacent to the existing Backside lift expanding skiable terrain at the resort by 10 percent
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif


A new 500-seat state-of-the-art on-mountain skier restaurant at the top of the Zephyr Express lift at Northstar
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif


Enhancements to the base village at Northstar in conjunction with the introduction of new tenants
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

WIZO

First Runs
Feb 25, 2008
620
0
0
Mt. Brawler, it's better
Ho Hum @ Vail Resorts. Our Buller Masterplan will have, by 2020, a beginners' snowplay area, and parking terminal, on Horse Hill I'm excited by that, aren't you?
laugh.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Cherry Ripe

A Local
Jun 23, 1999
9,926
3,949
563
melbourne
skidown said:
Vail Resorts to spend $120 Million before next years ski season!! WOW and
biggrin.gif


http://buzz.snow.com/outdoor_adventure/b...ki-resorts.aspx

Capital improvements across the resorts include the following:

A new on-mountain fine dining restaurant at Vail close to Mid-Vail at the base of the Look Ma trail
thumbsup.gif


A new high speed quad chairlift to replace the existing fixed grip lift in the Rose Bowl at Beaver Creek
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif


Upgrades and additions of new functionality in a second generation release of the Epic Mix application
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Interesting choice of place to build a 'fine dining' restaurant considering the only way in and out is by ski.

Rose Bowl chair could use an upgrade, it must be the slowest chair in the state of Colorado.

Can't wait to see what they do with Epic Mix, what a cool application that is, totally addictive.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
WIZO said:
Ho Hum @ Vail Resorts. Our Buller Masterplan will have, by 2020, a beginners' snowplay area, and parking terminal, on Horse Hill I'm excited by that, aren't you?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
1,170
0
186
www.angliss.edu.au
Reports say powder and packed powder. It'll be "Australian' down at lake level because of drizzle, and 'just right' uptop I reckon. .

One of our ski club crew leaves on Saturday for Tahoe so hopefully its awesome
 

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
Jackson
frown.gif
wish I was there, first tram this morning would have been nice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
2,446
565
363
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
...........WHAT!!! .....Again with the west coast measuring the storms in feet
mrbang.gif
-(I'm just jealous of all the snow they have been getting
laugh.gif
)

Storm warning for us was from 6am today till 6am tomorrow and woke to a bit on the ground and dumping. The 5am report was 3.5" and the midday update was for 9" so it was pretty nice out there
biggrin.gif
Everyone keeps telling me March is normaly great for snowfalls but have yet to check the stats. This week has been unseasonally warm here so warm sunny days (lots of melt etc. and spring slush down low) but they still had a couple of dumps (6-7" earlier in the week and then 3.5" the other day) and it just freshens everthing up. It was 11Deg C here yesterday and today its a winter wonderland once again (awesome snow quality) so I don't know if that answers the question about what it can be like. I brought the kids in at 2.30pm but have dibs on getting out early on my own tomorrow so fingers crossed we get a bit more out of this storm and the am tomorrow is great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
2,446
565
363
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey Tilt - hows the ribs faring? Mine are still sore at times (sleeping on that side and certain movements etc.) so definatley have some issues but am thinking will just ride it out. Cerainly doesn't help having decent wipeouts/crashes at times.
 

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
Scooter said:
Hey Tilt - hows the ribs faring? Mine are still sore at times (sleeping on that side and certain movements etc.) so definatley have some issues but am thinking will just ride it out. Cerainly doesn't help having decent wipeouts/crashes at times.
Still sore, slowly improving. It's been a little over 3 week since the stack, probably got a few more weeks to go before things will be right again. I'm quite sure that going from 10,000 feet to 1,800 feet in elevation is helping with recovery (dont seem to heal so well in thin air). I'm still curious as to what you had going on there Scooter, if possible, limit those yard sales so you don't make things worse
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sfo

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2009
479
10
68
anywhere there's snow
The Alpine Meadows' spring pass is $99 and goes on sale on the 20th.

Btw if you want to 'the school hols' in April, Heavenly plan to close on 24th April. Mammoth close later (but half the lifts won't be working).
 

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,434
1,506
1,063
Tahoe forecast

Fri
20 to 28 inches of snowfall, with 30 to 40 inches of snowfall above 8,500 feet.

Sat
10 to 16 inches of snowfall, with 18 to 24 inches of snowfall above 8,500 feet.

Sun
6 to 10 inches of snowfall.

cry.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
1,170
0
186
www.angliss.edu.au
from lake tahoe news:

Snow could be coming down at a rate of more than 2 inches an hour.

The Weather Service is calling for accumulations of 6 to 12 inches for Northeast California, mainly west of Highway 395 and in the basin below 7,000 feet.

For spots above 7,000 feet, which includes the passes, up to 1.5 feet could fall.

Fifteen to 25 mph sustained winds could be associated with this storm, with gusts up to 45 mph. Ridge gusts may hit 75 mph in the Sierra. This all is a recipe for whiteout conditions.
 

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
319
0
0
skidown said:
Tahoe forecast

Fri
20 to 28 inches of snowfall, with 30 to 40 inches of snowfall above 8,500 feet.

Sat
10 to 16 inches of snowfall, with 18 to 24 inches of snowfall above 8,500 feet.

Sun
6 to 10 inches of snowfall.

cry.gif
So, did you book your flight?
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
1,170
0
186
www.angliss.edu.au
Yep, we arrive in LA on 26th March and arrive at Reno airport around 9pm on 27 March!!! I hope the locks aren't changed when I get back home
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
1,744
908
363
38
www.skidescent.com
Well, utah hasn't received what some of the coastal resorts have, but make do with what you've got.

God's Lawnmower off Kessler Peak

^Not My photo, someone with much more impressive skills than I.

200046_10150434139590112_801325111_17794934_5244959_n.jpg

The skin was pretty easy actually

195875_10150434139480112_801325111_17794930_2007335_n.jpg

Only a moment of sketchy-ness at the ridgeline

197923_10150434139335112_801325111_17794926_8294446_n.jpg

Not quite sure how gangsta you can look in those colours, but I'll go with it.

189701_10150434163900112_801325111_17795222_5752097_n.jpg

Nice skiing on the way down

190523_10150434157255112_801325111_17795162_4031638_n.jpg

And down
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Hans

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2002
938
5
88
Melbourne
Looks like skiing cold smoke all week.Wonder what happened to spring,not complaining;)

Snow was amazing today.Will be better Monday with no queues and upper mountain open.Saturdays at Squaw are worse then a sunny Saturday/Sunday at Buller, with upper mountain closed.
 

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
772
182
113
Adelaide
Interesting, looks like I need to do more than the one trip next season. February for the so called season and March for the real season
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass