USA 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Well I'll be at Heavenly this weekend and at Squaw around April 3rd with $35 lift vouchers for Alpine Meadows and other vouchers for cheap skiing at various places. I better put all my travel papers in order and pack.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
vet said:
Well I'll be at Heavenly this weekend and at Squaw around April 3rd with $35 lift vouchers for Alpine Meadows and other vouchers for cheap skiing at various places. I better put all my travel papers in order and pack.

ban-youre-banned.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Tilt said:
Still sore, slowly improving. It's been a little over 3 week since the stack, probably got a few more weeks to go before things will be right again. I'm quite sure that going from 10,000 feet to 1,800 feet in elevation is helping with recovery (dont seem to heal so well in thin air). I'm still curious as to what you had going on there Scooter, if possible, limit those yard sales so you don't make things worse
smile.gif
Glad to hear you are on the mend Tilt. No idea whats up with my ribs but I don't notice it during the day but some nights it is quite uncomfortable.

Wish I could limit the stacks
wink.gif
I should start a thread asking about peoples experiances with stacks because I have my fair share
laugh.gif
so I am asumming others do as well (or else I am just unco). This was where I bounced off a rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVN-3t9FOs and the bruise http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/39473/photos/PHOTO_13378614_39473_4084374_ap.jpg I have another one which I should upload where I turn into a wall of trees so I drop and bring up the board. Hit the tree dead center with enough force to dump a fair bit of snow on me
biggrin.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Yesterday was a balmy 10degC up on the hill and was great riding. Woke up to 3" of fresh and damn if winter didn't return with avengance. Bloody cold and windy but not bad down lower. Was supposed to get some decent snow today and into the night and whilst it was dumping earlier (afternoon and early evening) it hasn't for the last couple of hours so don't think there will be some good fresh in the AM.

Never had any issues previously with wind whilst we have been here but certainly have the last week. On Sat the gondy and at least 2 other lifts (Strom and Morningside) were on hold all day making for som mega crowds and waits. After 20 odd mins getting our first lift we only did a few laps down low utilising the Christi 3 chair which normally doesn't run and wasn't busy. I also think the Gondy has gone on hold at least for some period of time Monday and today.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
About 19" of fresh reported by a mate at Canyons today. Another mate reported about 2 feet on the ground at Alta. I went one month too early!!!

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Scooter said:
Wish I could limit the stacks
wink.gif
I should start a thread asking about peoples experiances with stacks because I have my fair share
laugh.gif
so I am asumming others do as well (or else I am just unco). This was where I bounced off a rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVN-3t9FOs and the bruise http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/39473/photos/PHOTO_13378614_39473_4084374_ap.jpg I have another one which I should upload where I turn into a wall of trees so I drop and bring up the board. Hit the tree dead center with enough force to dump a fair bit of snow on me
biggrin.gif

I'll have to remember to never follow you if we go skiing/boarding together. You're suppose to go AROUND the trees and rocks, NOT straight into them.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
So this is why you do the second trip Vet? More powder falling in late March and all at great prices.
Dam it, what is wrong with my lotto numbers
frown.gif

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Actually I have to see a guy in LA about a contract, meet up with some businesses in Tahoe, pick up some bindings for a forumite, retreive the gear I left in a bar, and do other stuff.
smile.gif

I have the season passes from the 1st trip so this trip has 'free' lifts. There's the discount vouchers too, like $35 a day at Alpine Meadows.

With the Vic school holidays in June and September being a punt, overseas skiing is a safer bet.

Air $950 + $50 + $50 for Melbourne to Reno return. Self contained condos from $80 a night, or even less. Spring passes at $99 to $129 or there could be 'ski spring free if you buy next year's season pass for ~$400'.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
Bato said:
Curto said:
About 19" of fresh reported by a mate at Canyons today. Another mate reported about 2 feet on the ground at Alta. I went one month too early!!!
No way Canyons had that much, maybe 6-7inches, Brighton on the other hand was deep!!

Coming from top 5 instructor who has worked at Canyons for 6 or 7 years - he knows where to find it!

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Here is the last 14 days as reported by the Canyons
5554182047_dee333073e_o.png

You can get all of this data for all the resorts from NWS Snow Page. But I don't doubt that there was the 5" overnight and then 3" inches during the day (last night was clear). Add the wind (which was strong during both snow events) and you've got some significant wind deposits.

Onto today, was a great sunny day. Skied the Hypodermic Needle in Little Cottonwood Canyon (one of those top 50 north american descents posted back a bunch of pages). This is the line
5554763780_d4a59f5aab_z.jpg

Faceshots all the way down.

I'll post my photos and videos when I get around to editing them.

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Look like there's a new developments at San Francisco Airport

From Virgin America: "Slated to be the first LEED® Gold-certified terminal in the US, T2 puts a few of our favorite things under one roof: slick looks, great food, and sustainable design. Starting April 14, all your San Francisco rides will take off from T2. Soon you can pass the time before departure with some dynamic art installations, great California cuisine, and a relaxed atmosphere to help you unwind even before you get onboard. (And yes, we will be bringing our mood lighting with us to the new terminal.)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Yes and Qantas doesn't fly there anymore....... So it's basically Air NZ........or United if you are game...

V Australia should really get at least 2-3 flights a week from Sydney to San Fran, instead of yet another 1/2 brained idea to try to share planes/flights with Etihad to Europe...........

Customers want ONE airline and ONE type of service, not booking on V Australia and having 3/4 flights on Etihad. As nice as Etihad are, if you want to fly with them you book with them.

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
...or buying flights from shonks and ending up on Air Pacific.
laugh.gif

Oh, and:

Over 50 Feet of Snow
and Counting
For only the third time since 1970 Squaw Valley USA has reached a 50 foot season snowfall total.

We had a small break in the weather on Tuesday and the snow continues to fall today. Weather experts are predicting more snow this week. Check out the weather forecast on our new Squaw Valley Weather Blog.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
So I gather the clown skis haven't been off your feet and the ice skis (used exclusively last trip) are still in the bag?

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
vet said:
...or buying flights from shonks and ending up on Air Pacific.
laugh.gif

Oh, and:

Over 50 Feet of Snow
and Counting
For only the third time since 1970 Squaw Valley USA has reached a 50 foot season snowfall total.

We had a small break in the weather on Tuesday and the snow continues to fall today. Weather experts are predicting more snow this week. Check out the weather forecast on our new Squaw Valley Weather Blog.

laugh.gif
NADeals........

Oh and another 50-80inches coming!!!!

WOW AND WOW

AND

BanHammer.jpg

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Doing some research for next years trip. Anyone here been to Solitude or Brighton in Utah ? Overall opinions ? The good, the bad.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Born2ski said:
I'll have to remember to never follow you if we go skiing/boarding together. You're suppose to go AROUND the trees and rocks, NOT straight into them.
laugh.gif
TBH I have thought at times I pitty the person that follows my line
biggrin.gif
Would you beleive I smashed my left foot Wednsday? God knows what I was thinking but in one of the parks I hit a massive roller as a jump getting good air and of course clearing the whole thing and dropping a long way onto flat hardpack....OUCH!!. Serious pain. Ankle is fine but the heel/arch is/was catus so not up for much (but it was pretty crappy out there yesterday I am told and likely is today). Hopefully we get a decent dump tonight and I can get out there tomorrow.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Born2ski said:
Doing some research for next years trip. Anyone here been to Solitude or Brighton in Utah ? Overall opinions ? The good, the bad.
What about Steamboat? Having done the hot tub talk with a few people (were have you been, what brought you to Steamboat etc.) Steamboat rates pretty well. You know I would recommend it
biggrin.gif
In fact was only yesterday a guy who frequents Utah was saying he thought the setup etc. (town and ski hill setup and terrain - specifically trees) In Steamboat was much better than the Utah resorts however he did think Utah was better for March snowfalls (his spring break). Not gonna get the steeps in Steamboat however so if you were looking for terrain like Oreo posted (great pic BTW - your pic and lines? Also buggered if I could find a similar snowfall page at the NWS like you posted for Steamboat - know of anything similar?) guess there are much better resorts but most I have spoken to have said they were happy with whats available. Like I said above Steamboat has a decent rep for tree runs and I have certainly found them pretty good (with the fresh).

How long you planning for this trip? Maybe we need to talk
biggrin.gif

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Scooter said:
Oreo posted (great pic BTW - your pic and lines?

Not my pic, just used it for demonstrative purposes. My photos and videos are posted in the talk snow forum.

With Solitude and Brighton. Both are great destinations if you just care about skiing. There isn't much in the way of awesome nightlife up there. But the skiing is fantastic. The crowds are an order of magnitude smaller than little cottonwood canyon, the terrain is "generally" comparable and the snow is almost the same, maybe a teeny tiny bit less.

Solitude is my favourite mountain to ski in utah on a powder day (or soon afterwards). Lots of hiking, few people and underrated terrain make for a very chill (as in not a rat race) day with great skiing. Fantasy Ridge (if it's ever open!), is one of the gnarlist inbounds hiking terrain in the states.

Brighton has a bit more crowds, but far less than little cottonwood. It also generally has a bit of a "park rat" vibe. But there is some fantastic terrain as well as slackcountry/backcountry around it.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey oreo - saw your post in the other thread and checked out the vid - Nice
thumbsup.gif
What other lines did you do that day or was that really the main one? Hell of an effort (wish I could have hooked up with some of you hardcore types - maybe another year
biggrin.gif
)

Hey B2S - some snowfall info http://www.skiutah.com/media/resort_facts/2010-11-Resort-Fact-Sheet.pdf and month by month http://www.utah.com/ski/snowfall.htm That guy I was talking to yeterday reckoned you needed a car but I am not sure if if was talking specifically Parkcity/deer valley or the wider area so might be something to look at.

Had some decent snow here off an on from about lunch time but sadly been pretty clear out side for the last few hours.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
That was the main line. There were a few turns here and there on the way, but it was mostly just hard slogging. As I said it took us about 8 hours to get to the top. But the line was great, the video is just of the chute and apron. There was plenty more skiing all the way back to the car, in fact almost the entirety of the hypodermic needle vertical again. Total descent from the top of the chute to the car was 5000 vertical feet.

If you have a car in utah it opens up a lot more options. You can stay somewhere cheaper (although with much much less ambiance), being salt lake. You have the options of driving up and exploring alta, snowbird, brighton, solitude, the canyons, park city, deer valley, sundance, snowbasin and powder mountain. That's a LOT of options right there. Sometimes it snows much more at Powder Mountain/Snowbasin than Little Cottonwood, so you can hedge your bets a bit with a car. One downside is that on a big powder day the drive up little (and occasionally big) cottonwood canyon can be frustrating with large queues and road closures and the obvious, you have to drive all the time.

One big plus of staying up at the resorts, specifically in little cottonwood is the road closure. Ideally, there is so much snowfall that the road is closed for an extended period of time but not so much that the resort cannot open effectively. The result is a mind blowing powder day with almost no one around... until the hoards of cars start arriving in the carpark. You'll get at least a few hours head start. Locals and dirtbags will often drive up the night before a road closure and sleep in their cars/crash a hotel sofa or pay for a room just to try to snag the next day before the crowds.

Hans

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2002
Melbourne
vet said:
Squaw passes for 11/12 start at $US399. With the $A at 1.026 atm, I couldn't resist getting one.

Really didn't think they would go a third year at that price.Good on them.Oh BTW what a fantastic season at Squaw.Witness first hand a season one can tell grand kids about;)

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
If I had to get 1 pass it'd be the Heavenly/Nstar pass because of windhold and the freeze-thaw we 'enjoyed' over January to mid Feb.

I hope Alaskan Horizon's computer glitch doesn't affect the flight today to Reno. According to CNN, 12,000 passengers were stuck yesterday

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
11inches + in Breck....

There is a road there ? I think..

c4c690aa.jpg

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
vet said:
Tilt said:

Here's something to cry about! Squaw passes for 2011/12 from $399, Hvenly/Nstar from $379, and Alpine Meadows + Homewood + Red Lodge Mtn $359.
outtahere.gif
If I end up in Jackson next season, then I'll need to place a 1 before those figures you quoted
eek.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Anyone want 18 metres of snow ??

RECORD SETTING SEASON—60 FEET OF SNOWFALL IS MAKING FOR GREAT SPRING SKIING!
So far, it's been an amazing season of powder filled days and some 700 inches of snow. In fact, we've had more than 11 FEET of snow here in just the past week. Such a DEEP snowpack means that as usual, the very best spring skiing/riding spring will be found right here at Kirkwood.

Only $99 for the Kirkwood spring "SEASON PASS"

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Born2ski said:
Anyone want 18 metres of snow ??

RECORD SETTING SEASON—60 FEET OF SNOWFALL IS MAKING FOR GREAT SPRING SKIING!
So far, it's been an amazing season of powder filled days and some 700 inches of snow. In fact, we've had more than 11 FEET of snow here in just the past week. Such a DEEP snowpack means that as usual, the very best spring skiing/riding spring will be found right here at Kirkwood.

Only $99 for the Kirkwood spring "SEASON PASS"

Epic and cruel at the same time

I booked the other night to head back to Europe again.

frown.gif
and
smile.gif
at the same time

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Tilt said:
I really hope this mental snow occurs again next season.

Same, it's going to be my first time sking in the US. Im thinking staying on snow in Utah & doing vegas ,LA & San fransico, Still researching for the best resort to stay on snow in Utah for families. I want to see if it lives up to what they say is " the greatest snow on earth " . We are all strong intermediate skiers. Any suggestions would be great.
smile.gif

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Squaw has Bronze (6-day week pass, also excluding Presidents w/e, NY and MLK) on sale now for $399 and Silver( excluding major holidays only) for $499

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Olddognewtricks said:
Im thinking staying on snow in Utah

You'll like the low moisture powder in Utah, a better ride than Sierra Cement
outtahere.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a