Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Tilt said:
Olddognewtricks said:
Im thinking staying on snow in Utah

You'll like the low moisture powder in Utah, a better ride than Sierra Cement
outtahere.gif

Yes, much better to head inland for the Rockies, better skiing and better snow as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Snorkler said:
Tilt said:
Olddognewtricks said:
Im thinking staying on snow in Utah

You'll like the low moisture powder in Utah, a better ride than Sierra Cement
outtahere.gif

Yes, much better to head inland for the Rockies, better skiing and better snow as well.

I wanted to ski rockies but the altitude is a concern for a family member ,too many ear operations, I may have to hang out with the friendly mormans instead. Although Mammoth looks good & with flights from SFS & Lax direct making it easy.

BWG

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2006
Adelaide
Old dog Deer Valley would fit the family friendly label (as long as everyone is a skier) but ski in ski out accommodation might require giving up your first born. Staying in Park City would probably be heaps cheaper accommodation wise - the shuttle buses to all 3 resorts (deer valley, park city mountain resort and canyons) is heaps quick and efficient (and free) and Deer Valley have free overnight ski and boot storage. Park City is about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City airport. And I met quite a few people who had swapped from Colorado to Deer Valley because they said the snow was just as good but no problems with altitude. On that you may not be completely out of the woods - Park City itself is around the 2000 metre mark so some people have some ill effects.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I worked in both places - in Vail it was more likely than not for people to have some pretty bad altitude sickness on the first couple of days, much less so in Park City.

Overall I reckon Utah shits on Colorado. I really can't see a facet of Colorado skiing that's better than Utah. Colorado has to give out cheap tickets, but if you're prepared to compromise a multi thousand dollar holiday for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks difference in lift tickes, well I can't be of much help to you.

And before everyone jumps up and down I spent 4 winters in Vail and 6 in Park City.

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Looks like Utah it is............or Wyoming
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Tilt said:
Looks like Utah it is............or Wyoming
smile.gif

Hard to go wrong there. Tahoe is awesome as well.

I should put a caveat on my above post - one day I would like to check out SW Colorado - ie Telluride, Silverton, Crested Butte,

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Had some good feedback about Park City . I like the idea of the 3 resort lift pass. Park City it is.
smile.gif
Thanks people.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Olddognewtricks said:
Had some good feedback about Park City . I like the idea of the 3 resort lift pass. Park City it is.
smile.gif
Thanks people.

We stayed at the base of the Canyons resort back in 2009. Short walk to lifts, heated pool and spa, free buses around town and over to Park City Resort and Deer Valley, pretty good for $US125 a night (one bedroom condo). We just got discounted day passes from our unit owner while we were there, about $50 per day.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Park City - Hell Yes!

Canyons, Deer Valley and Park City Mountain Resort - All outstanding resorts!!!!!

I do have a "thing" for Deer Valley with the no snowboarders policy
biggrin.gif
Makes it great IMO

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Oreo – Nice again
thumbsup.gif

Just on Kirkwood – It was the first place I looked at to go simply because it rated for snowfall ( #2 in USA behind Baker which wasn’t an option for young family). No doubt would have been epic if we had gone however it looked problematic (lack of close availability and value) in terms of accommodation which was why I switched to Steamboat (which was easy to sort). Anyone care to share their thoughts on how it is all setup (accommodation and proximity or access to slopes)?

B2S – how long were you thinking of going for in 2012? We will have to talk when we get home – I have already been broaching the idea of doing the season again at the end of the year. You can but try
biggrin.gif

CarveMan – wouldn’t it have been fairer to say that you think PC shits on Vail as opposed to Utah vs Colorado? Personally I reckon whilst the areas bring certain things to the table (steeps, trees, mix of runs, setup, town etc.) the bottom line is that weather/conditions are going to factor as a major part of the overall experience so given the vagaries of mother nature that in my mind negates a lot of the argument which is better than which – they will be what they are on a particular day/week/month/season
wink.gif

Quick update for us - we have had a couple of feet of the last week so that has been great. I went out on the last day of the storm a few days ago after taking it easy with the kids in nice fresh the previous days and I have to say it was awesome (if painful at times). After ripping it up on my on for a few hours and then staying out with the kids for a few more I have put back my foot recovery to when I did it and then some (bloody sore still is after a couple of days rest but it didn’t help also going out for tea the other night and running around town etc. ) but I suppose you get that. Yesterday was supposedly nice with about 4†of fresh however the day before was apparently the worst day of the season according to my other half (think a few lifts went on hold and visibility was 0) – absolutely crap out there. Today is pretty warm as it was already 10 deg on our thermometer and tomorrow is forecast to get to about 15 deg so OUCH!! Sat night into next week should see a return to winter with snow and cold temps forecast.

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Re Kirkwood, the accom is mostly slopeside but I could never get anywhere near as good a deal on accom as I could at Squaw or Heavenly. And Kirkwood dies after 5pm whereas I just came back from Squaw where there were heaps of people dining, drinking and listening to a band

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
vet said:
Re Kirkwood, the accom is mostly slopeside but I could never get anywhere near as good a deal on accom as I could at Squaw or Heavenly. And Kirkwood dies after 5pm whereas I just came back from Squaw where there were heaps of people dining, drinking and listening to a band

The quality of Squaw after dark has improved greatly.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Scooter said:
CarveMan – wouldn’t it have been fairer to say that you think PC shits on Vail as opposed to Utah vs Colorado? Personally I reckon whilst the areas bring certain things to the table (steeps, trees, mix of runs, setup, town etc.) the bottom line is that weather/conditions are going to factor as a major part of the overall experience so given the vagaries of mother nature that in my mind negates a lot of the argument which is better than which – they will be what they are on a particular day/week/month/season
wink.gif

Not really - even though I lived in PC I regularly skied in the Cottonwoods, Snowbasin/Powder Mountain, Sundance etc - of the 11 resorts in the region I'd regularly ski 8 or 9 of them in a season. Last time I went on a ski holiday to the US I only skied in PC for one day to catch up with friends. The balance of the trip was spent in the Cottonwoods/Snowbasin, Tahoe & Jackson.

But you're right about the weather, if you're going for a 2-3 week it's down to luck, but I prefer to skew that luck by choosing an area with more favourable conditions on average.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/903899

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
These photos I just saw on TGR kinda sum up what I don't like about Colorado:

_DSC0620.jpg

_DSC0606.jpg

_DSC0616.jpg

High, cold, windswept, bleak etc.

I know the San Juans are nothing like this and will definitely get there one day.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
CM – I meant it was probably not fair to make a blanket statement re: Colorado V Utah when by your own admission there are a few Colorado resorts you haven’t been to. Moot point anyway because as we have agreed the best resort on the day is the one with epic conditions
biggrin.gif
Would have loved to visit Telluride but was not considered due to kids (I think accoms would have been pricey too) and I passed on Crested Butte due to snowfall averages however is was dirt cheap with plenty of availability.

Where are those pics from TGR from? Nothing like that here which might say something about the altitude (could do with some big bowls) - not bleak at all and very treed. We also haven’t had any real issues with wind (none to speak of in the first couple of months and only a few days just recently). I know everybody keeps telling me about Breck and how high it is etc. so wondered if that was where the pics were from?

Vet – Was there much in Kirkwood? I looked mid Dec and there seemed to be very little and as you have indicated what was available was pricey. Seems like there is an absolute glut in Steamboat which was no doubt why it was so easy to get a heap of availability late in the game at all price points.

There is a huge place next to the gondola called One Steamboat Place that is in foreclosure with apparently 100Mil owed and one of the locals in the game was telling me that plenty of people walked giving up $3-400K deposits. The place across the road (Highmark) has places advertised as %66 perecnt reduced and as far as I can tell has been pretty vacant. I think my other half reckons she saw places advertised at $10K a week so that might explain the vacancies
laugh.gif
Another local reckoned that prices were back at levels (in some properties at least – he was talking land sales) of 10-15 years ago so the area has by all accounts been pretty affected post GFC. Any one care to comment how other US resorts have fared post GFC etc?

Bato – Nice pic
biggrin.gif

Anyway the reason I jumped on was to post a quick update. Saturday was absolutely tropical showing 19DegC most of the day on our thermometer. I didn’t get out (my foot is still bloody painful) so spent a couple of hours in the pool with the kids. Weather changed overnight and woke up to Snow Sunday AM. At one point absolutely hammered down with 3-4†accumulating in less than an hour however it had abated somewhat by lunch. Checked the official lunchtime report and they were reporting 8†mid and 9†top. Mum and the kids spent the day out and by all accounts it was nice out there. Snowed off and on the rest of the day and we were forecast to get a bit overnight but it never amounted to much (official report was 10†so only got an extra 2†which was a bit disappointing).

Looks great out there this morning and was snowing earlier but has stopped now. Other half went out early and I am stuck at home with the kids debating if I should risk it but leaning towards not seeing as my foot wasn’t that bad prior to spending the day on it (going hard in the AM fresh) and making it much worse that it was. Due to my foot I have just been bludging watching way to much TV and playing X3 Reunion on the PC. At least I have some great views from both the bed and couch
laugh.gif

Hey Tilt was your side still sore? I don’t notice mine during the day at all but sure as hell do at night when I am lying on that side. The way it’s going I will be making a trip to the doc immediately on my return to Oz about both my side and left foot
mrbang.gif

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
My 2c-sans kids.

I luve Utah-that is Snowbird, Alta, Soli and Brighton, also liked Snowbasin. Mecca.

I had an excellent day at Deer Valley but it is not for me. Neither is Park City etc-groomed to your perfection, can I help you with that maa'm-URGGGh etc

Jackson was epic, unfortunately it did not snow whilst I was there and I had left Utah with min 30cm a day. However I get Jackson-very cool. Slack country galore.

Telluride was awesome, my +1's fav (mine is still snowbird). He loves it so much he is going for 3 months. I will admit, the whole "town experience" is far better in Telluride. The best resorts in Utah (if you believe me) have crap villages, if they even have one.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey tbnext - Kids certainly do change things
biggrin.gif
If it was me I would have chosen Jackson but alas wasn’t even considered due to the kids (have had others say the terrain wasn’t great for kids) but then Crystal has raved about it and has two young kids so just goes to show how subjective it can be. My two have done well this trip (done everything except the double blacks) so maybe next trip I should just consider myself
laugh.gif

Talking towns, the town of Steamboat was one of the major considerations for us. Real town with real people and has been great (the kids do the trip to the Library once a week and then go to Lyon’s drug for an ice cream etc.).

Sunny outside ATM so no doubt great out there.

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
"Mammoth is just like Tahoe... only it's higher, steeper and offers skiing past spring (try July 4)! Experience a winter of awesome at Mammoth Mountain with our least expensive season pass for next winter, MVP12.

Even better, you can start using it May 1, just in time for Mammoth's legendary spring season! MVP12 is the pass that gives you unlimited access to Mammoth (with no blackouts) as well as benefits like discounted lift tickets for friends, access to the mountain before the public on certain days, special events, deals and more!

Buy yours April 1, but move fast, we expect to sell out in the first two weeks!

The price? $659."

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Scooter said:
Hey tbnext - Kids certainly do change things
biggrin.gif
If it was me I would have chosen Jackson but alas wasn’t even considered due to the kids (have had others say the terrain wasn’t great for kids) but then Crystal has raved about it and has two young kids so just goes to show how subjective it can be. My two have done well this trip (done everything except the double blacks) so maybe next trip I should just consider myself
laugh.gif

Talking towns, the town of Steamboat was one of the major considerations for us. Real town with real people and has been great (the kids do the trip to the Library once a week and then go to Lyon’s drug for an ice cream etc.).

Sunny outside ATM so no doubt great out there.

Scooter, your kids will love jackson and all the additional stuff they do. Terrain is great for them as there are easy outs options all over the place, just scope it out before you head down with them. Or do what we do, when the going gets tough we pick them up for a 'cuddle' and ski down with them laughing all the way.

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Crystal - I just watched that Jackson Vid (the tilt Shift one - which is awsome BTW) in snowtalk
eek.gif
Some serious extreme terrain at Jackosn by the looks
eek.gif

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
Is anyone familiar of the trends for sales on flights to the States over the next couple of months? I've got a wedding at Niagara-On-The-Lake in September with a 4 day pitstop in Vegas for the bucks party. Best I've found so far is about $2300 on both V and Qantas, although Qantas is on the A380 so I'd be leaning more towards that option.

I'm in 2 minds of whether I should bite the bullet now and pay for a flight before they go up higher because of oil prices, or if I hold off for another month or 2 to see if there are any sales.

Thoughts?

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Curto said:
Is anyone familiar of the trends for sales on flights to the States over the next couple of months? I've got a wedding at Niagara-On-The-Lake in September with a 4 day pitstop in Vegas for the bucks party. Best I've found so far is about $2300 on both V and Qantas, although Qantas is on the A380 so I'd be leaning more towards that option.

Let me just start this by saying, No I'm not Nadeals ! BUT if you want cheap Air Pacific have some low prices (from $942 return Syd/LA in September). Yes I know their planes are old, but on the plus side their safety record is still good and you get Qantas FF points for the flights. Southwest Airlines will get you to Buffalo for $360 return and a car from there. That will save you $1000 all up.
OR if you really don't like Air Pacific you can still fly to LA with V Australia for $1625 + $360 with Southwest = $1985, saves you $315.

http://www.airpacific.com.au
http://www.southwest.com
http://www.vaustralia.com.au

Orion

First Runs
Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
Jackson has a bunch of groomers off the Apres Vous high speed quad and Casper triple chair. There is heaps of intermediate terrain (wide open groomers). The Teewinot area is perfect for beginners (although it is dependant of weather - when a high pressure cell sits over Wyoming for 3 weeks and temps never get above -20C it will be rock hard). What Jackson really lacks is a link from Teewinot to Casper/AV.

Please, if you go to Jackson and want to go out of bounds, take avie gear (beacon, shovel, probe and the knowledge of how to use them) and go with someone who knows where they are going. The number of gapers going up the 4 Pines hike this year was disgusting. I'll probably be back in Jackson for the 2011/12 season, so if you want someone to show you around, tee us up.

Oh yeah, The Hostel had new mattresses for 2010/11 and will have new carpets, sinks and bathrooms for 2011/12! The best place in the valley!

try hard

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
I'm not Nadeals either, but I've got to agree with B2S on this one. We flew home via Nadi on Air Pacific a couple of years ago, and I have to say, it was definitely worth the hassle of the extra stopover time for the monety saved. Service was great, and seat back TVs (though not as many options as your other airlines etc.) unlike United.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
The V flights unfortunately don't fit in with the dates that I want. I want to fly out on the 15th and return on the 29th and the cheapest flight there is about $2300. :-(

Thanks for the tip on Air Pacific. I'll have a look to see what they have to offer. Although I'm thinking at this point I might just have to fork out the extra and go with Qantas.

I flew with V in January/February which was only $1100 return to LA so it's a bit of a shock to see the price double in 2 months!!!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Born2ski said:
Curto said:

Let me just start this by saying, No I'm not Nadeals ! BUT if you want cheap Air Pacific have some low prices (from $942 return Syd/LA in September). Yes I know their planes are old, but on the plus side their safety record is still good and you get Qantas FF points for the flights. Southwest Airlines will get you to Buffalo for $360 return and a car from there. That will save you $1000 all up.
OR if you really don't like Air Pacific you can still fly to LA with V Australia for $1625 + $360 with Southwest = $1985, saves you $315.

http://www.airpacific.com.au
http://www.southwest.com
http://www.vaustralia.com.au

NaDeals!!!!!!!!!!

SPAMMMMMMMMMMMM
outtahere.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Air Pacific is better than United in Economy though

The stopover is a bit of a pain in the behind though, but if you don't mind that then go for it.

Another option is

Sydney to Honolulu on Jetstar, during a sale time and you pay around $750..

Then Honolulu to Los Angeles, San Fran etc for about another $500

So about $1250 all up, with a chance of a few days in Hawaii if that's what you are into!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Curto said:
I flew with V in January/February which was only $1100 return to LA so it's a bit of a shock to see the price double in 2 months!!!

15th Dec-10th Jan is peak time
Then August/September is the busiest time of the year for people going to North America/Canada/Europe to fit in with school holidays and Summer.

Means they can escape Winter here too!

Hence airfares are $$$$$$$ in September

Fools!!!

Missing Winter!!!!

laugh.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Curto said:
The V flights unfortunately don't fit in with the dates that I want. I want to fly out on the 15th and return on the 29th and the cheapest flight there is about $2300. :-(

Air New Zealand have flights to LA for $1616 on those exact dates, $1522 if you leave one day earlier. Then take the Southwest option.

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
Air Pacific was a no go. $2300 as well for the dates I wanted.

I've been checking AirNZ as well and had considered that option but the fares weren't that great until now.

Would've loved to go via Hawaii but I'm travelling by myself so I might save that for another time.

So I've now just booked with Air NZ on the exact dates I wanted - $1636 return Mel-Auk-LA-Auk-Mel. I don't think I'll get a better price than that between now and September. I can't go a day earlier either cos I'm a consultant/contractor and taking an extra day off work is actually way more expensive than the savings I would make!

And I have Southwest credit from a flight I didn't take in February so I can use that for the Vegas and/or East Coast legs.

Thanks for the help guys.
beer.gif
(p.s. I am not Nadeals. LOL)

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I am suspicious of Born2Ski, he spends too much time skiing and lives in Qld... That sounds like naDeals to me
wink.gif
tongue.gif
outtahere.gif

Please tell me that you booked NZ 1 and NZ 2 ???

Please !!!

It's the brand new plane and much better than NZ 5 and NZ 6

You do get the brand new plane on your dates from MEL-AKL though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
NZ6 on the way there and NZ1 on the way back. Probably would've been better to have the new one on the way over but oh well (I didn't know the difference)...

What's the in-flight entertainment like on those 2 planes?

Edit: And I booked Southwest LAX-LAS for $49 + taxes using cancelled flight credit.
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
You should have asked here
wink.gif

The two planes are very similar, one is just bigger and newer and has new seats and IFE (In Flight Entertainment) etc better food as they have real ovens on the plane etc....

The IFE is excellent on both planes, but outstanding on the 777-300ER (from all reports) Can order food/drinks from the screen!!!!

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/inflight-entertainment

The MEL-AKL and LAX-AKL-MEL flights are on the 777-300ER
The AKL-LAX flight is on the 777-200ER

777-200ER Seatmap http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_New_Zealand/Air_New_Zealand_Boeing_777-200.php
777-300ER Seatmap http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_New_Zealand/Air_New_Zealand_Boeing_777-300.php

Ring Air NZ and request rows 34 A/B or J/K OR 57 B/C or H/J or 58 B/C or H/J for the MEL-AKL and LAX-AKL-MEL flights

Hope this makes sense

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
Thanks skidown.

I've already booked my seats using their web application. Got window seat near the back on AKL-LAX, then one of the 2 seater back ones in the aisle. Can't remember which rows they were!

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
skidown said:
I am suspicious of Born2Ski, he spends too much time skiing and lives in Qld... That sounds like naDeals to me
wink.gif
tongue.gif
outtahere.gif
I'm much better than NAdeals, I not only find deals to North America but also Japan, New Zealand and Europe. Maybe I should change my name, Born2ski to Born2Deal.
tongue.gif

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Another pow day all lined up for today with managers from Alpine Meadows and a tourism film producer. I better get a nap coz its tough working at night and then skiing and dining.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
So Monday... It snowed a foot and was a mostly sunny day. Unfortunately the winds had scoured the Pfeifferhorn NW face, which is one of the higher peaks in the wasatch.

The hike up was nice
207591_10150529748275112_801325111_18073186_6895839_n.jpg

The final push to the summit is steep. Utah lake and American Fork in the background.
215575_10150529737575112_801325111_18072984_305575_n.jpg

This photo will make sense after you watch the video
216807_10150529776930112_801325111_18073442_530043_n.jpg

Video - or; my competition to the youtube video "skier falls off mountain".
http://contour.com/stories/pfeifferhornfall

Mostly uninjured, skied the several miles out to the road fine. Have a small tear in my MCL which will be healed in a few weeks. Already a massive improvement and can walk around fine now.

captainQ

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2010
Mid North Coast NSW
Got it going. That was something that you won't forget for a while. Touch and go, especially with the rocks on the steeps. It's good that you found that run away ski and that you are in one piece.
eek.gif

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Apologies if the area has been discussed in this thread (i did do a search)but I have never really given much though to going to Canada as I'm more than happy with Japan for my 14 day overseas snow trips but recently I have been offered really cheap weekly accommodation on a three bed room house at Canmore Banff, going by Google its off the Trans Canada Hwy.

What would be my boarding options close to Banff/ would it be worth considering this place as an option for a first time trip to Canada?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass