USA 2015 - 2016 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

H

Hacski

We have just booked flights for Jan/Feb 2016 - destination Breckenridge. Unfortunately our friends were too late use FF point and on one flight we got the last 2 seats together (in PE).
For those who fly Cathay - have heard through TA fares are on the rise from the 27th April. We are happy - our flights were $649 (for 2) cheaper that same flights we booked 2 years ago.

Maybe it is time to start a new thread "USA 2015 - 2016 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews”.
Excited already!:woohoo:
Checking the 2014/15 thread the last crew post had everyone back home by now so here goes an outline:

The USA 2015-2016 Crew

Season
gortonator ... Back from Back East

Vacationers
jakes47 ... Breckenridge Jan/Feb
Hacski ... PNW (incl BC) Jan 13th - 28th ... Breckenridge Jan 29th - Feb 7th

Useful Links
Lots of snow data from Tony Crocker
OpenSNOW with forecasts from Joel for CO, Bryan for Tahoe (also link below) etc
Discount lift tickets
More discount lift tickets
Utah discount lift tickets

Snow Cams
The All Popular Snowbird Cam
Colorado Cams On One Page
Breckenridge Town Cams
Squaw Uber Cam
Whitefish Mountain

Weather Forecasts
Snow Forecasts
National Weather Forecasts
The Dweeb Report
GFS Weather Map
Another GFS map to check against
Tahoe Weather Discussion

jakes47

Hard Yards
May 21, 2009
Western Australia
Good one Mr H!
We will be in Breck from 29th Jan -12th Feb - getting out before presidents weekend.

Bev

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

MrsH is heading home after the PNW section @jakes47 so seeing as we get to Breckenridge about the same time I must arrange to meet up with you and gang closer to the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Astro

4th-11th Jan.............. Park City, The Lodge at the Mountain Village
11th -18th Jan .......... Beaver Creek, Christie Lodge
18th - 23rd Jan ......... Breckenridge, Trails End.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Astro

4th-11th Jan.............. Park City, The Lodge at the Mountain Village
11th -18th Jan .......... Beaver Creek, Christie Lodge
18th - 23rd Jan ......... Breckenridge, Trails End.
The 11th of Jan is going to be a long drive, particularly if there is snow about!!

Astro66

Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
The 11th of Jan is going to be a long drive, particularly if there is snow about!!
6 hrs in Summer.

Shouldn't be more than 8 in Winter. We'll leave early.

Got a 4WD. We love the scenery. I'm very experienced in winter roads.

Looking forward to it.

Astro66

Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't doable!!
Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel are the toughest parts of I70 in winter and I won't be going that far.

If there's a nasty storm about, we'll just stop and ride it out.

Accommodation is booked, but turning up a day late is not a tragedy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Johnb007

Addicted
Oct 19, 2011
To Hell You Ride
They are predicting big El Nino soon. So what does that usually mean for Utah, Colorado and Cali? The 14/15 season for those areas was crap, all the snow fell in Boston, Pittsburg, Philly etc and there's not much skiing done there.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
That means you book your flights & not your accommodation. Go where the snow is at the time.
Simples. :)

Willy

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2006
Brisbane
Have got my BNE - LAX booked for early January. Been so tempted to pull the trigger on some excellent condo deals I have accessed at both Aspen and Whistler but I stayed strong and didn't book. Got to keep telling myself the original plan - wait until the snow falls before deciding where to go! OZ $ going in the right direction presently also. Who knows where it will be when I cash in.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Have got my BNE - LAX booked for early January. Been so tempted to pull the trigger on some excellent condo deals I have accessed at both Aspen and Whistler but I stayed strong and didn't book. Got to keep telling myself the original plan - wait until the snow falls before deciding where to go! OZ $ going in the right direction presently also. Who knows where it will be when I cash in.
Yep wait. With a big El Niño, it may well be Tahoe that returns to the top of the pile.

Johnb007

Addicted
Oct 19, 2011
To Hell You Ride
97/98 season was an epic year (I lived at Tahoe then)

Pretty sure it was El Nino year.
So El Nino dumps in Tahoe? I hope so. Last season everywhere from Whistler to Taos and everywhere in between were terrible. I was in San Francisco and it was beach weather in the middle of winter. The whole western USA needs lots of snow/rain. Check out the dam levels there. The ones on the Colorado are very low.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yep pretty sure.

It was the first time i had ever heard the term. And I am sure i heard El Nino before i ever of a la Nina.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
So El Nino dumps in Tahoe? I hope so. Last season everywhere from Whistler to Taos and everywhere in between were terrible. I was in San Francisco and it was beach weather in the middle of winter. The whole western USA needs lots of snow/rain. Check out the dam levels there. The ones on the Colorado are very low.

I posted these recently in another thread. The incredibly low snow numbers show just how warm it was in most places. So in the PNW, it wasn't so much a lack of moisture that was the main problem, rather it was the temperature and resultant rain.

2015-05-01-swe.png

2015-05-01-precip.png

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Yep pretty sure.

It was the first time i had ever heard the term. And I am sure i heard El Nino before i ever of a la Nina.
El Nino doesn't necessarily mean that it will be an above average season in Tahoe. However, the chances of above average snowfall in the southwest is certainly higher in El Nino years. Check this out from 6 previous El Nino winters.

2014-08-17-ENSO-04.jpg

El Nino doesn't necessarily mean that it will be an above average season in Tahoe. However, the chances of above average snowfall in the southwest is certainly higher in El Nino years. Check this out from 6 previous El Nino winters.

2014-08-17-ENSO-04.jpg

Was it considered an el Nino there this past season? I remember them talking about it even when I was skiing there last year, and how they were expecting this year to be a top season. I don't think it turned out that way though.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I should add that although snowfall totals have generally been lowish everywhere in the West, there has still been some pretty good skiing in parts of Colorado for example.

Here are some photos from Abasin on May 10.

Johnb007

Addicted
Oct 19, 2011
To Hell You Ride
This past season I saw that the California total snow pack was 20% (I think) in mid Feb compared to average and in mid to late March it was 8% compared to average for that time of year. So they got VERY low run off for their dams. Anyway I am trying to decide at this very early stage Europe V Nth America. Looking at the charts above there does not seem an absolute correlation between El Nino and western snow pack. The only strong correlation I can see is heavy rain in Florida and I thought El Nino was a Pacific ocean event? The conclusion seems that it is complex and there are no simple answers.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
This past season I saw that the California total snow pack was 20% (I think) in mid Feb compared to average and in mid to late March it was 8% compared to average for that time of year. So they got VERY low run off for their dams. Anyway I am trying to decide at this very early stage Europe V Nth America. Looking at the charts above there does not seem an absolute correlation between El Nino and western snow pack. The only strong correlation I can see is heavy rain in Florida and I thought El Nino was a Pacific ocean event? The conclusion seems that it is complex and there are no simple answers.
There is a very large blob of warm water, sitting off the California coat, which most are blaming for the lack of snowfall this year. The US Met service has suggested they are hopeful it will have moved away before next winter.

There is a very large blob of warm water, sitting off the California coat, which most are blaming for the lack of snowfall this year. The US Met service has suggested they are hopeful it will have moved away before next winter.
I think they'd been hoping for similar over the past few years, and it's that blob that has caused the last few years of below average seasons, correct? I recall discussing that later last year, prior to the northern winter, with that blob stubbornly refusing to budge.

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
After the extreme disappointment of last season I really don't know that I'm ready to even start entertaining the thought of next season yet........ The doctor said the nervous tick should have started to move on by now..........
And yet, sometimes I catch myself thinking about just buying a return ticket to LA, and playing the rest by ear at the last minute. Hmmmm.

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
Yes, I must say that 2015 has far from 'gone according to plan' for me:
- it started with the Telluride trip being a complete disaster due to snow conditions akin to a warm Australian spring after an average at best winter; grass, freeze/thaw, gnarled boilerplate off-piste, groomers only if you intend to still be walking when you return home (something was salvaged by actioning plan B being 3 riding days at Big Sky, with the last 2 days being powder days).
- I arrived home to a seriously peeved Mrs as things started going wrong on the Homefront practically from the day I left (it took days and days of hard work but she eventually came around).
- 4 hours after I walked through the front door I received an email from work telling me I was to be made redundant.
- 2 weeks later I seriously broke my nose at kid's soccer practice from a head clash with a 12 year old, he walked away laughing before he realised how badly injured I was. Coincidentally, in the same 7 day period that I broke my nose, my mum slipped over on a wet zebra crossing and broke her foot and my dad broke his hand and severed a tendon in a workshop accident with a trolley jack.
- 4 weeks after that my Mrs. sustained an 8mm tear in her meniscus playing netball, she's on crutches and I've been playing Mr. Mom ever since.
So, it's definitely fare to say that 2015 has not exactly gone according to plan and I'm patiently waiting for the tide to start coming back in!!

Last edited:

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Yes, I must say that 2015 has far from 'gone according to plan' for me:
- it started with the Telluride trip being a complete disaster due to snow conditions akin to a warm Australian spring after an average at best winter; grass, freeze/thaw, gnarled boilerplate off-piste, groomers only if you intend to still be walking when you return home (something was salvaged by actioning plan B being 3 riding days at Big Sky, with the last 2 days being powder days).
- I arrived home to a seriously peeved Mrs as things started going wrong on the Homefront practically from the day I left (it took days and days of hard work but she eventually came around).
- 4 hours after I walked through the front door I received an email from work telling me I was to be made redundant.
- 2 weeks later I seriously broke my nose at kid's soccer practice from a head clash with a 12 year old, he walked away laughing before he realised how badly injured I was. Coincidentally, in the same 7 day period that I broke my nose, my mum slipped over on a wet zebra crossing and broke her foot and my dad broke his hand and severed a tendon in a workshop accident with a trolley jack.
- 4 weeks after that my Mrs. sustained an 8mm tear in her meniscus playing netball, she's on crutches and I've been playing Mr. Mom ever since.
So, it's definitely fare to say that 2015 has not exactly gone according to plan and I'm patiently waiting for the tide to start coming back in!!
Holy shit!! Not good. I hope things turn around for you and your family for the rest of 2015 and beyond!

Reactions: Ozgirl

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
Thanks for your concern and good thoughts guys, here's an update to show that it's not all doom and gloom:
- Mum got her moon boot off and dad got his hand cast off both about 2 weeks ago and they're rehabilitating as well as can be hoped for.
- I straightened my nose myself about 2 minutes after the head clash (it went back in with a loud and weird click like muffled meccano and a fresh burst of blood flow which sent the kids running in all directions) and it has now fully healed back to it's almost original slightly bent position (I also broke it in high school).
- my wife's knee has improved a fare bit although she still needs 1 crutch and I suspect complete recovery will take a long time and may require surgery, we'll know in 3 more weeks apparently.
- I missed out on a job I really wanted last Monday, it was pretty devastating having been short-listed and done site visit etc. however, 2 days later I was contacted about another very similar position with another equally high profile company and things have moved very quickly, so I'm hopeful that this will be the one. If so, the big problem becomes help for my wife while I'm away, anyway, we'll solve that if/when the time comes.
So anyway, there's cause for hope :)

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Thanks for your concern and good thoughts guys, here's an update to show that it's not all doom and gloom:
- Mum got her moon boot off and dad got his hand cast off both about 2 weeks ago and they're rehabilitating as well as can be hoped for.
- I straightened my nose myself about 2 minutes after the head clash (it went back in with a loud and weird click like muffled meccano and a fresh burst of blood flow which sent the kids running in all directions) and it has now fully healed back to it's almost original slightly bent position (I also broke it in high school).
- my wife's knee has improved a fare bit although she still needs 1 crutch and I suspect complete recovery will take a long time and may require surgery, we'll know in 3 more weeks apparently.
- I missed out on a job I really wanted last Monday, it was pretty devastating having been short-listed and done site visit etc. however, 2 days later I was contacted about another very similar position with another equally high profile company and things have moved very quickly, so I'm hopeful that this will be the one. If so, the big problem becomes help for my wife while I'm away, anyway, we'll solve that if/when the time comes.
So anyway, there's cause for hope :)
:thumbs:

Reactions: Ozgirl
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using