USA 2015 - 2016 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
Where you seeing pow in the PNW? We're in weekend planning mode and at least the forecast looks cooler with some freshies, but not huge amounts at places I've looked at?

Also we're just coming out of a big warm El Nino blast that has seen rain at most places for best part of a week, and deluges in the Cascades, so when that freezes it'll take a fair bit of snow to cover it and consolidate layers. Maybe BC did better but I'm not seeing much I'd drive from CO for in the next week. Not seeing much we'll drive too far from Seattle for right now to be honest? Weekend should be fun hopefully wherever we end up. Luckily we have a great base that can take a rain pounding.
Hey Gortonator,
Sorry, was unaware of the recent rain damage.
My read of GFS (yesterday) was that the whole area should do pretty well over this coming Friday to Sunday, and that this period would be followed up by two more quick-hitting fronts through next week. On this morning's view, this weekend still looks pretty good, but the follow-ups have now all but vanished.
I basically know jack-sh1t about PNW, just that according to GFS it appeared to be the only general area that will cop decent precipitation and cold temperatures across Hongo's holiday timeframe. That said I do recommend that he should hang around Telluride for the next 4/5 days at least, one reason being that it gives the models more time to firm up on what's going to happen through the remainder of his holiday time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Hey Gortonator,
Sorry, was unaware of the recent rain damage.
My read of GFS (yesterday) was that the whole area should do pretty well over this coming Friday to Sunday, and that this period would be followed up by two more quick-hitting fronts through next week. On this morning's view, this weekend still looks pretty good, but the follow-ups have now all but vanished.

Yep - anything in a forecast past 3 days is pretty much nearly always fantasy with rapidly diminishing likelihood as time goes out ;)

Baker might be pretty fun tomorrow and Saturday though! Darn work ...

56240658.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Lake Tahoe:

An awesome day to be up here today. Blue bird, very few people and the snow is holding up amazingly well. I estimate there would be at the very least 1.5 metres more depth than this time last year. Trees that were completely visible last year only have tips poking out now. It's very mild, about 45F or so each day.

I had to laugh when someone said the snow was getting slushy by afternoon. Slushy? It was Buller powder!

The snow got a little soft as the day progressed so tree skiing was great. The only area it felt a little heavy was down at the lower part of Stagecoach, which is one of the lowest parts of the resort, but nothing like it can get at home.

Open Snow looks favourable for next week, keeping fingers crossed. Not only for fresh snow, but for my legs to get strong enough by then. They are pretty shot by day's end, but fortunately a good sleep (and a couple of American-sized drinks and burgers by the fire each evening) seems to have them good to go again by morning.

Hoping to hit Kirkwood again later this week, then if the freshies happen I'll be there again next week. For now, I'm having to put up with these same old views :D

qGpNzoW.jpg
O2pErvP.jpg

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
It's been a rollercoaster El Nino ride in the PNW last two weeks. Plenty of rain, plenty of snow, and luckily we managed to avoid most of the former and snag a little of the latter.

Scoop was a beautiful sunny cool Friday at Snoqualmie Pass. We headed over to Alpental for the first time, and it is a killer little ski hill. The terrain off the (incredibly slow) top double chair is pretty epic indeed. Highly recommended on a weekday. They actually night ski off the lower quad which I didn't realize. In good conditions that would be worth a trip for us.

Plenty of pics at https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/late-february-battles-with-el-nino-in-the-cascades/

Schweitzer this weekend. El Nino is still around so it won't be cold :(

Reactions: kaegee

Johnb007

Addicted
Oct 19, 2011
To Hell You Ride
A BIG thankyou to p2p, Hongo and the others posting such detailed trip reports and the GREAT photos. They give me the shites. So jealous. Thanks. I am in San Fran and will head up to Tahoe in 10 days. Forecast is for a ton of snow and some cold temps after weeks of warm weather. Thanks again for taking the time to write and post such great photos. I have so many fabulous memories of travelling in Utah and Colorado in the winter. Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Escalante etc in the winter are just so spectacular.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
A BIG thankyou to p2p, Hongo and the others posting such detailed trip reports and the GREAT photos. They give me the shites. So jealous. Thanks. I am in San Fran and will head up to Tahoe in 10 days. Forecast is for a ton of snow and some cold temps after weeks of warm weather. Thanks again for taking the time to write and post such great photos. I have so many fabulous memories of travelling in Utah and Colorado in the winter. Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Escalante etc in the winter are just so spectacular.

I've been to a few of those places you mention @Johnb007, and agree, they are stunning in the winter.

We're at Tahoe until March 22, and the forecast from this weekend looks good, with talk of anywhere between 3 to 8 feet from several storms over the next 10 days or so. You've picked a good time!

Today's forecast looked almost identical to yesterday, where strong winds closed the mountain around 2pm, but they got today wrong. It was sunny, calm, and the warmest it's been in the past few days. T-shirts and tanks today! Snow is still great, but softening this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to seeing these trees with some snow in them. Just playing the waiting game now.........

mCty0rn.jpg

xBhS4wZ.jpg

Reactions: Angus_McCrory

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I've been to a few of those places you mention @Johnb007, and agree, they are stunning in the winter.

We're at Tahoe until March 22, and the forecast from this weekend looks good, with talk of anywhere between 3 to 8 feet from several storms over the next 10 days or so. You've picked a good time!

Today's forecast looked almost identical to yesterday, where strong winds closed the mountain around 2pm, but they got today wrong. It was sunny, calm, and the warmest it's been in the past few days. T-shirts and tanks today! Snow is still great, but softening this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to seeing these trees with some snow in them. Just playing the waiting game now.........

mCty0rn.jpg

xBhS4wZ.jpg
I think you're going to have a lot of fun very soon!

Reactions: rime noreason

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
im back in straya now :( will post a full report later. im seriously suffering today...i miss that magical place that is telluride
Ahhh, very glad to hear that the place entwined itself into your heartstrings. It's an unusual place terrain wise and I've found that people either absolutely love it, or really don't like it that much at all. Someone here once described the terrain (place) as schizophrenic which I thought was a fair call.
And yep, I know ALL about missing the place, the desire to be back there never leaves me, nor weakens.

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
It does look a bit wet down low, but nice up top.
Blue and black runs are high and staying in great condition with such a good base, but I think the low green runs will be getting soft. We did Stagecoach once a few days ago and the last lower section was a bit soft and heavy, and Olympic was softening in the warmth of a couple of days ago, but everywhere else is skiing well. Yesterday was colder and I think today will be much the same. Moguls are hard work after awhile though and all the black runs are covered with them now, so I'd welcome a top up. Kirkwood might be the pick for Monday .....

nVAcyXS.jpg

Ol8R69z.jpg

Last edited:

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Blue and black runs are high and staying in great condition with such a good base, but I think the low green runs will be getting soft. We did Stagecoach once a few days ago and the last lower section was a bit soft and heavy, and Olympic was softening in the warmth of a couple of days ago, but everywhere else is skiing well. Yesterday was colder and I think today will be much the same. Moguls are hard work after awhile though and all the black runs are covered with them now, so I'd welcome a top up. Kirkwood might be the pick for Monday .....

nVAcyXS.jpg

Ol8R69z.jpg
Atmospheric river on Saturday turning colder on Sunday with much lower snow levels seems to be the forecast.

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
We didn't have to play the waiting game for long. Winter returned yesterday morning. It was snowing lightly much of the morning on the Nevada side, although it was fairly heavy going. No problems with vis though.

The California side had better snow, maybe a couple of inches or so, and drier, so did a lot through trees there today. I think my legs would hurt less right now if they were removed without anaesthetic!

It's definitely colder. Photos from yesterday, and looking forward to what tomorrow morning brings.

PO5WhYp.jpg

BeQT5UP.jpg

Reactions: Angus_McCrory

Johnb007

Addicted
Oct 19, 2011
To Hell You Ride
Heavenly forecast is for a few clear days then another big front that will have lots of moisture and be 5C colder than the one that just went through. So we are going up on Monday week. Should be the pick of the season. Yipeeeeee. Heavenly reported about 10cm 2 days ago, then 30cm yesterday and forecast is for 10cm today and 10cm tomorrow. Next front in 5 days looks stronger than that. Kirkwood got almost double those numbers in the last front and should get buried in the next one.

Last edited:

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Heavenly forecast is for a few clear days then another big front that will have lots of moisture and be 5C colder than the one that just went through. So we are going up on Monday week. Should be the pick of the season. Yipeeeeee. Heavenly reported about 10cm 2 days ago, then 30cm yesterday and forecast is for 10cm today and 10cm tomorrow. Next front in 5 days looks stronger than that. Kirkwood got almost double those numbers in the last front and should get buried in the next one.
Today was fantastic, at least a foot of fresh, and much deeper through the trees. Tomorrow should be similar and I'm heading to Kirkwood in the morning. Tuesday and Wednesday look to be clear, then more storms to follow. I think this week and early next will be the best of the season for sure.

Reactions: Astro66

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Fizzer in central CO. We were planning to ski at A Basin today but they reported no overnight snow so I've slept in.

The rock climbing in Boulder is world class though, will probably go climb another Flatiron today instead, and go BC skiing tomorrow when the weather clears.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Guess I had better start posting in this thread - just booked flights for 2 weeks in and out of SLC 19th March to 2nd April.

Staying with friends in Park City, not sure of the overall plan, we might stay there the entire time, or go somewhere else for the second week. Will have a car so can make the decision last minute I guess.

What's the snow like?

Reactions: sbm

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
Guess I had better start posting in this thread - just booked flights for 2 weeks in and out of SLC 19th March to 2nd April.

Staying with friends in Park City, not sure of the overall plan, we might stay there the entire time, or go somewhere else for the second week. Will have a car so can make the decision last minute I guess.

What's the snow like?
We might be in town the same time. I'm planning to be in town from the 19th to the 23rd but in a house in SLC itself.

Reactions: CarveMan

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
In less fun news, got a speeding ticket today. :mad: Having spent half my time on the road being tailgated, overtaken like I'm standing still or pulling over for tailgaters to pass, with the cruise control set at the limit, I feel this is unfair. Especially as several people assured me there was basically zero enforcement in the US.

I am ashamed to have forgotten one of my dads first driving lessons - "No matter how other drivers or passengers treat you, beg you, or assure you, remember they will never, ever help pay for your fines"

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
In less fun news, got a speeding ticket today. :mad: Having spent half my time on the road being tailgated, overtaken like I'm standing still or pulling over for tailgaters to pass, with the cruise control set at the limit, I feel this is unfair. Especially as several people assured me there was basically zero enforcement in the US.

I am ashamed to have forgotten one of my dads first driving lessons - "No matter how other drivers or passengers treat you, beg you, or assure you, remember they will never, ever help pay for your fines"
Bugger. I know the feeling - in the US if you drive at the limit then you get monstered. I always drove at about 80-85 on the freeways. What did you get pinged at?

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
What plates you got on your car?
From my understanding local cops are always more likely to pull over out of state plates,
or Hire car plates - if they can pick a car as being a hire car.

might explain why u got picked up even when other were flying past.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
From my understanding local cops are always more likely to pull over out of state plates,

might explain why u got picked up even when other were flying past.
Yes to both. This is the opinion of a few of the guys here...

You deserve a ticket then ya nit wit! LOL
Yeah I'm guilty, but it is hard with the constantly changing limits and speeding locals, I genuinely miss a lot of the speed signs as I find them unobtrusive compared to Aus ones.

On a more positive note...5 inches of fresh at Berthoud Pass, skiing was great.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne

^^This. In Colorado all Fleet and Rental cars have red plates instead of green. I always gave them a HUGE berth when entering roundabouts in Avon/Vail as they would 95% of the time drive straight through the middle of the double lines, cutting the apex, and cutting you off.

Most drivers do about 10 miles over the limit when on the interstate, but why bother when in some stretches it is already 75 miles an hour???

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Kirkwood has received well over a metre of snow in the last 3 or so days, so quite a bit of awesome. It snowed there all day, quite heavily through the afternoon without affecting visibility, and tracks were being filled in with each run. We looked like abominable snowmen on each chair, covered in snow. I rented some powder skis for the first time ever, and it looks like I might have to expand my quiver :thumbs:

Heaps of snow back in town at Sth Lake, more today too. The next week or so looks like it's rinse and repeat. I'm happy to share if you come back to Tahoe @sbm, and Tahoe isn't that far to drive from Salt Lake, either @CarveMan :D

TOU3eur.jpg

fTlUQSr.jpg

Ax73inq.jpg

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Bugger. I know the feeling - in the US if you drive at the limit then you get monstered. I always drove at about 80-85 on the freeways. What did you get pinged at?
In Colorado I'd do 75 - 80 mph in the "slow" lane, while others rocketed passed me.

I had friends from Pennsylvania stay with us in Australia between last Christmas/New Year and we warned them numerous times that speed limits are enforced here, they're not a "suggestion" as they considered them back home. They've just discovered that in the 6 days they drove in Aus, they clocked up 2 x $300 speeding tickets!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using