USA 2015 - 2016 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yeah we got a later start today as the storm didn't really start until 7am ish, found some nice stuff at Canyons. Unfortunately CG was sick so I didn't get around to the Cottonwoods which would have been better.

We will check the snow totals early tomorrow and head to the highest bidder.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
On tuesday we toured "out the back door" again up to the Greens Basin and Silver Fork ridgeline. Some amazing aspen glade skiing, but the best run was the run home through huge old pines in Matts Basin. North facing, shaded, lovely boot deep Big Cottonwood powder.

Yesterday I did the long drive through Nevada, and was easily persuaded to stay the night at my friend's cousin's place in South Lake Tahoe.

This morning it was Jakes Peak attempt 2! After climbing for a couple of hours on a perfect sunny windless Sierra day, it was time for a wonderful corn run above the water of Emerald Bay.

I'm about to drive back to San Fran to return the van tomorrow morning. My trip's just about over! No more skiing until June...

Reactions: CarveMan

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
Utah

z6vniWG.jpg
aMIndxZ.jpg

Tahoe
tj90n8f.jpg
HInOc0j.jpg

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
Last night's storm fizzed so we're taking a day off. Saturdays are pretty busy here. l and I'm pretty sore, we've given it a good nudge thus far.

Big snow coming Monday night.

If you want to check out some "big" terrain and chutes, and the stability is good, go to Brighton and get a $15 single ride up Milly lift (or skin, uphill is ok there) and check out the north facing cirque of Mt Wolverine. Not quite the Alps or the Rockies but it's a very easy access and easily lappable steep playground.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
If you want to check out some "big" terrain and chutes, and the stability is good, go to Brighton and get a $15 single ride up Milly lift (or skin, uphill is ok there) and check out the north facing cirque of Mt Wolverine. Not quite the Alps or the Rockies but it's a very easy access and easily lappable steep playground.
Yeah I was looking at that the other day, you get a good view of it from the Summit chair at Solitude.

I'm half tempted to drive up to Jackson this arvo, ski 2 days then come back here for the big storm.

Reactions: sbm

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
So Jackson is grey and crunchy, some nice dry packed snow in the high, shady aspects.

It also brutally exposed my weak knee and sore body with ruthless efficiency, it took less than 2 hours. I've been able to fake it in Utah but not here.

The new Teton chair is great, it was already without question the best ski area in North America, and it's now even better.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
I hadn't been to JH for about three years and did a quick pilgrimage in Feb. I kind of forgot how relentlessly steep it is.
Even the new Teton lift run ends with an incline that needs sharp slowdown turns and hard left to get back to the chair.
Other resorts would have bulldozed a large flat area, but that's not how JH rolls.

One thing I did observe was how upscale the place has become. Major changes Many of the old shops in Teton Village have gone and it's all giant condos with lots of exposed logs and shiny surfaces. Much more development is planned.
A cheeseburger at Casper is AUD $22. The crowd is much better dressed and older. It's not Vail, but it's not JH 2008 either.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
Out of interest, my stats were 14 days skiing in the US, with 3 resort days and 11 backcountry days.

Total lift ticket budget was $US153...ok $168 if you count the single ride at Brighton which was a waste of money.

Though, I'll make some donations to the repsective avalanche centers too, they really make a dirtbag BC ski trip more of a holiday and less of an expedition.

Reactions: Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
I hadn't been to JH for about three years and did a quick pilgrimage in Feb. I kind of forgot how relentlessly steep it is.
Even the new Teton lift run ends with an incline that needs sharp slowdown turns and hard left to get back to the chair.
Other resorts would have bulldozed a large flat area, but that's not how JH rolls.

Which is why I like Telluride better; it isn't as relentlessly steep but you can still go and kill yourself if you want to.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Epic 2 days here. After my initiation of fire yesterday I drank a litre of water, popped a couple of ibuprofen and a cup of concrete and had a great ski. Mainly in the north facing steep trees off Sublette and Thunder, and a few inches overnight made this morning really fun. Place is deserted, skied straight on to every lift.

Now heading back to Utah for the storm, hopefully Snowbird tomorrow.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Hopefully it brings another foot of snow at the Bird!
According to Wasatch Snow Forecast this system is a bit of a non-traditional one so I'm expecting to be surprised at 6am tomorrow. Apparently Snowbasin is the early leader so far but in the past their patrol was quite slow to get the good stuff open. And I don't mind this as it's something I don't want them to rush.

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I want to give a shout out to Andy at The Boot Lab because I couldn’t have enjoyed this trip without his expertise. If this is inappropriate here, Mods, please move to where it belongs.

After a lot of shin pain for a couple of years with my previous boots, and foot issues that no-one else had been able to resolve, I saw Andy last July.

I hadn’t bought these boots from him, yet he very patiently spent a lot of time determining the source of pain. The boots flexed too much and were digging into my shin, so Andy offered various options to try and remedy these boots rather than have to buy new ones. After all the pain though, I was happy to buy new boots.

I needed stiffer boots, but also an entirely different style that provided more shin protection, and a different tongue mechanism. Full Tilts would be the best solution.

Andy didn’t have them in my size, nor able to order them despite making numerous calls right there and then, so he could have easily sold me another brand that he already had in store even though they wouldn’t have been as good, but he didn’t even try and steer me in that direction. Instead, with no benefit to himself, he suggested who to contact and order the Full Tilts from.

Andy also ground down and adjusted my current boots so I could ski with less pain through that season, until the Full Tilts arrived in November.

Buying the Full Tilts untried had the risk of not actually fitting correctly, but even that was no trouble for Andy. He offered to buy them from me if they weren’t right! Above and beyond!

When the FTs arrived, they fitted well though and Andy kindly made some footbeds for me, and then heat moulded the liners. Once again, he spent a lot of his time to help make the boots as comfortable as possible. I can’t praise his honesty and integrity highly enough, nor thank him enough for all his thoughtfulness and generosity. Cheers, Andy :cheers::thumbs:

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
I want to give a shout out to Andy at The Boot Lab because I couldn’t have enjoyed this trip without his expertise. If this is inappropriate here, Mods, please move to where it belongs.

After a lot of shin pain for a couple of years with my previous boots, and foot issues that no-one else had been able to resolve, I saw Andy last July.

I hadn’t bought these boots from him, yet he very patiently spent a lot of time determining the source of pain. The boots flexed too much and were digging into my shin, so Andy offered various options to try and remedy these boots rather than have to buy new ones. After all the pain though, I was happy to buy new boots.

I needed stiffer boots, but also an entirely different style that provided more shin protection, and a different tongue mechanism. Full Tilts would be the best solution.

Andy didn’t have them in my size, nor able to order them despite making numerous calls right there and then, so he could have easily sold me another brand that he already had in store even though they wouldn’t have been as good, but he didn’t even try and steer me in that direction. Instead, with no benefit to himself, he suggested who to contact and order the Full Tilts from.

Andy also ground down and adjusted my current boots so I could ski with less pain through that season, until the Full Tilts arrived in November.

Buying the Full Tilts untried had the risk of not actually fitting correctly, but even that was no trouble for Andy. He offered to buy them from me if they weren’t right! Above and beyond!

When the FTs arrived, they fitted well though and Andy kindly made some footbeds for me, and then heat moulded the liners. Once again, he spent a lot of his time to help make the boots as comfortable as possible. I can’t praise his honesty and integrity highly enough, nor thank him enough for all his thoughtfulness and generosity. Cheers, Andy :cheers::thumbs:
Andy is the best.
I am almost looking forward to visiting him again as I will need an adjustment to my new boots since the shape of my leg has changed with ruptured Achilles.

ed: Your pics of Tahoe are killing me after last year schmozzle ;)

Reactions: rime noreason

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Some great 'day-after-the-powder-day' skiing today. Typically I would go to Solitude on a day like today but we skied PC as it unusually got the same amount of snow as the cottonwoods out of this storm, and our friends who we are staying with have passes there.

Some really enjoyable skiing, mainly up high in the trees hunting for the leftover freshies.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Blue sky groomer day at Canyons with my friends. Would have been great ski touring today but hasn't turned out to be that sort of trip.

Deer Valley tomorrow then fly out.
So on this trip you will have skied Deer Valley, PC/Canyons, Jackson Hole, Alta, Snowbird and Solitude. Very nice indeed.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
So on this trip you will have skied Deer Valley, PC/Canyons, Jackson Hole, Alta, Snowbird and Solitude. Very nice indeed.
Missed Snowbasin unfortunately, and also got a day touring in BCC.

Skied PC/Canyons more than I would normally do (ie I actually skied there) but my friends I am staying with have season passes there, we also got a couple of freebies from old friends who still work there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass