USA 2015 - 2016 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Andy is the best.
I am almost looking forward to visiting him again as I will need an adjustment to my new boots since the shape of my leg has changed with ruptured Achilles.

ed: Your pics of Tahoe are killing me after last year schmozzle ;)

Hope all goes well with your Achilles injury! :eek:

I was very lucky skiing here the same time last year. For me it wasn’t bad at all with quite a few days of fresh falls between 8 – 12 inches. For me, Tahoe had better and more snow than Colorado then.

Tahoe had a lot more snow this year, both base and fresh falls. Certain trees I remember being a couple of metres above the snow last year, were either totally buried or just the tips out this year. It was much better off piste through trees this year. I’m hoping to be back again next year around the same time if all goes to plan.

Sorry @TOFF , in that case you might want to look away …….. :D:out:

P75xsxb.jpg

alxnqon.jpg

p0FZGVd.jpg

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
In hindsight, I reckon the first couple of weeks of March has to be the best time to go skiing in the US (and maybe in North America?). The crowds and casual skiers start disappearing, the base is at its deepest, the days are slightly longer and less likely to be brutally cold, and in addition the locals have strong beliefs that the late season seems to have the biggest storms! I heard that the data shows March is often the wettest month in Colorado and California, and in Utah, if not the biggest month, it seems like it barely slows down.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
In hindsight, I reckon the first couple of weeks of March has to be the best time to go skiing in the US (and maybe in North America?). The crowds and casual skiers start disappearing, the base is at its deepest, the days are slightly longer and less likely to be brutally cold, and in addition the locals have strong beliefs that the late season seems to have the biggest storms! I heard that the data shows March is often the wettest month in Colorado and California, and in Utah, if not the biggest month, it seems like it barely slows down.
TBH I like the period between Australia Day and President's Weekend - ie: first 3 weeks of Feb.

But as I proved this year, March works well, it can snow a lot, and yes it's technically the snowiest month, but you have to be cool with it baking between storms.

And some years it skips spring and goes straight to summer.

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
TBH I like the period between Australia Day and President's Weekend - ie: first 3 weeks of Feb.

But as I proved this year, March works well, it can snow a lot, and yes it's technically the snowiest month, but you have to be cool with it baking between storms.

And some years it skips spring and goes straight to summer.

Yep - both periods are good. I'd lean earlier too but destination resorts will probably be busier during that time. But if you head north in March, baking between storms is less of a problem ;)

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Pics from Easter weekend at Crystal Mountain at:

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2016/04/04/spring-saturday-winter-sunday-at-crystal-mountain/

They passed the 500 inches for the season that weekend. El Nino always delivers moisture, and thsi year luckily it was just cold enough to snow at the base of the Cascades mountains. There's going to be some very fine Spring skiing :)

I saw this photo in your report, and was like Oh my god if that's Crystal Mountain that is one hell of a ski hill

p1000492-800x600.jpg

After a closer look though, that is of course Mt Rainier! LOL

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
I saw this photo in your report, and was like Oh my god if that's Crystal Mountain that is one hell of a ski hill

p1000492-800x600.jpg

After a closer look though, that is of course Mt Rainier! LOL

Crystal is one helluva mountain though. It should be on every advanced skiers list to hit. the views aren't bad either :)

If you look closely you can see an avalanche that happened while we were doing a run. Got to top of chair and it appeared - wasn't there on previous run 10 mins earlier.

Reactions: CarveMan

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Crystal is one helluva mountain though. It should be on every advanced skiers list to hit. the views aren't bad either :)

If you look closely you can see an avalanche that happened while we were doing a run. Got to top of chair and it appeared - wasn't there on previous run 10 mins earlier.

PNW is still on my bucket list. Wasn't going to happen on my previous trip but another time I'll come for longer with less of a schedule, and if it's going off I will make a beeline.

I've got a feeling I'll really like the skiing there.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Jeepers, what a massive storm Colorado has been experiencing his week! From opensnow.

"The deepest storm total through Monday morning was 51.3 inches at 8,800 feet in Coal Creek Canyon, which is in the foothills about 10 miles southwest of Boulder. The total amount of precipitation at this location was 3.55 inches, for a snow-to-liquid ratio of 14.5, which is pretty fluffy for a late-season storm! Also, the precipitation total of 3.55 inches was roughly in line with the higher amounts predicted by most models, which was in the 3-4 inch range, so overall I think the models did a pretty good job with this storm.

At the ski areas, Loveland, Abasin, Winter Park, and Breckenridge are still open this week and here are their storm totals (so far … we’re going to see more snow before the storm is over):

Loveland: 30”

Abasin: 28”

Breckenridge: 26”

Winter Park: 24”

Arne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Jeepers, what a massive storm Colorado has been experiencing his week! From opensnow.

"The deepest storm total through Monday morning was 51.3 inches at 8,800 feet in Coal Creek Canyon, which is in the foothills about 10 miles southwest of Boulder. The total amount of precipitation at this location was 3.55 inches, for a snow-to-liquid ratio of 14.5, which is pretty fluffy for a late-season storm! Also, the precipitation total of 3.55 inches was roughly in line with the higher amounts predicted by most models, which was in the 3-4 inch range, so overall I think the models did a pretty good job with this storm.

At the ski areas, Loveland, Abasin, Winter Park, and Breckenridge are still open this week and here are their storm totals (so far … we’re going to see more snow before the storm is over):

Loveland: 30”

Abasin: 28”

Breckenridge: 26”

Winter Park: 24”

Pretty normal for Colorado. Particularly resorts close to the Divide. I have lost my goggle tan during April in Colorado due to excess weather during the month.
And even during the May had waist deep days, er mornings.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
PNW is still on my bucket list. Wasn't going to happen on my previous trip but another time I'll come for longer with less of a schedule, and if it's going off I will make a beeline.

I've got a feeling I'll really like the skiing there.
Bachelor is open till May 29 this year. 2 months skiing for $160 on their spring pass. Not bad.
Much money left over for beer in Bend.

Last edited:

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Bachelor is open till May 29 this year. 2 months skiing for $160 on their spring pass. Not bad.
Much money left over for beer in Bend.
Sounds a great way to spend at least a few weeks. If only April/May wasn't my busiest time at work :(

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Sounds a great way to spend at least a few weeks. If only April/May wasn't my busiest time at work :(

It is. Spring at Bachelor is a very fine thing. We'll be there for closing weekend. Until then, we have a few local resorts to close down in WA and then of course, Balckcomb. Just home from a superb Springy closing weekend at Whistler. With an Edge Card, Spring pass there is 61 buckeroos ;)

Reactions: Summit

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Hope all goes well with your Achilles injury! :eek:

I was very lucky skiing here the same time last year. For me it wasn’t bad at all with quite a few days of fresh falls between 8 – 12 inches. For me, Tahoe had better and more snow than Colorado then.

Tahoe had a lot more snow this year, both base and fresh falls. Certain trees I remember being a couple of metres above the snow last year, were either totally buried or just the tips out this year. It was much better off piste through trees this year. I’m hoping to be back again next year around the same time if all goes to plan.

Sorry @TOFF , in that case you might want to look away …….. :D:out:

alxnqon.jpg

p0FZGVd.jpg
EpicMixPhoto139451708.jpg

That ^^^ was NOT what I got at Heavenly during the second week of Feb!

Hadn't snowed for eleven days when I arrived, (Sunday 7th), and didn't snow all that week. Two days later in San Diego I received an email shouting TWO FEET OVERNIGHT!! Sometimes it's just in the timing - though Tahoe's biggest snowfall month is March.

The week I was there it was very much Australian conditions - "firm packed" would have been a charitable description. It was literally not possible to ski in the trees - basically solid ice. But the sun was out the entire week, which made for fairly pleasant days. 3 - 7 degrees each day.

It's a bloody big hill. Sometimes it's tough having to decide which way to go, (see sign at lower left)...

20160208_141152.jpg

But it's pretty much epic in every direction...

20160209_161822.jpg

The place did start filling up quite noticeably after midday on the Friday, as it was President's Day long weekend coming up. By mid-arvo you could tell it would be bedlam across the weekend, so I was happy to call it quits. But, this was about as hectic as it got during the rest of the week...

20160209_161613.jpg

A lazy day around town on the Saturday, then back to Reno and a flight to San Diego. And the absolute treasures you can sometimes stumble across in an airport...

20160214_124618.jpg

29 degrees when I arrived in San Diego on the Sunday night, and the next day it seemed like every person in town was either at the beach or on their way there...

20160215_130931.jpg

The warm, mid-winter weather kept up for the next two weeks - San Diego, LA, Austin, Fort Worth, Amarillo, Albuquerque, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix. "Ya know, maybe there's something to that global warming," someone said to me. Ya reckon?!!

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale

That ^^^ was NOT what I got at Heavenly during the second week of Feb!

Hadn't snowed for eleven days when I arrived, (Sunday 7th), and didn't snow all that week. Two days later in San Diego I received an email shouting TWO FEET OVERNIGHT!! Sometimes it's just in the timing - though Tahoe's biggest snowfall month is March.

The week I was there it was very much Australian conditions - "firm packed" would have been a charitable description. !!
It IS a big hill. The vast areas inbetween the runs is where it’s at, too.

Feb was unusually lean for snow. More often that’s January. I arrived in the US mid Feb and remember watching the forecasts with trepidation thinking I might have left my run a bit late with most of my skiing in March. Got to Tahoe on the 25th, skied a couple of days from the 26th in sunshine and sunnies, then got slammed from early March.

Except for a handful of days, two for which @Johnb007 and his mate joined me, seems it snowed shiploads almost every day until I left. They say some people are chick magnets, maybe I’m a snow magnet :D.

The bottom two shots are flying from Reno to LAX, second last is Emerald Bay @Angus_McCrory, the last is flying directly over Heavenly, so you can see the Nevada runs.

o1k2mOc.jpg

vuOPW59.jpg

4qfs0el.jpg

tW027V5.jpg

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Crazy warm here in Pacific Northwest. Luckily there's plenty of snow to melt. Close enough to US - Blackcomb last weekend was fine Spring fun. Lots of pics at:

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/a-very-warm-early-may-at-blackcomb/

Need to work this weekend so will miss Mt Hood Meadows closing day, which is a shame. Luckily weather seems more seasonable next week (ie cool), so there's hope we'll still be riding Bachelor at the end of May.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass