USA 2016 - 2017 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I know the season may not yet be over for a couple of people, but for most our thoughts have turned to 2016 - 2017.

So who already has plans for a USA trip next season? Personally, I reckon it's about 60-40 that we will be back again in January, but not sure yet. Here's hoping...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
60/40 @absentskier ? That just you guys or the wider clan (i.e. is the MIL going). You plan to get to the Oz snow this season? I cant remember if you sneak in some local trips.

You see that Steamboat had 12" on the webcam the other day (all overnight)? Loved this shot on the most recent Steamboat Today

Can read them daily here: http://www.steamboattoday.com/eEdition/ (used to love getting the daily hardcopy and having a read of the local news/events)

KqiOe6V.jpg

Love the green down low but still some decent conditions up higher if you were willing to hike. Wish I was still there :cry:

Reactions: chunky

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Currently have flights booked into Seattle for the 1st of Jan. Plan was to head across the border to Canada, but no accommodation booked yet. With the exchange rate dropping against the CAD but improving with the US dollar it could turn into a Pacific Northwest trip. Will see how the exchange rate travels over the next few months.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
60/40 @absentskier ? That just you guys or the wider clan (i.e. is the MIL going). You plan to get to the Oz snow this season? I cant remember if you sneak in some local trips.

You see that Steamboat had 12" on the webcam the other day (all overnight)? Loved this shot on the most recent Steamboat Today

Can read them daily here: http://www.steamboattoday.com/eEdition/ (used to love getting the daily hardcopy and having a read of the local news/events)

KqiOe6V.jpg

Love the green down low but still some decent conditions up higher if you were willing to hike. Wish I was still there :cry:
MIL will be there for sure, as will sister in law and her family from mid Dec to mid Jan.

We may go for the last 3 weeks of January.

And you?

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

KqiOe6V.jpg

Oh, and no local skiing for us.

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
I will be going somewhere come February '17. Considering 2 options at present:
- By a return ticket for LAX, making no final destination commitments until the last couple of weeks (and still clinging to the hope that Telluride is 'where it's at')
- Or head back to Rusutsu, Hokkaido.
There's too many 'balls in the air' at the moment to know which of the above options will ultimately prevail.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Mate that's all there is right now - a flight home :D

Tahoe plan A, otherwise UT/CO if we get towards the end of the year and it's a shocker start.
Let us speak again.
I see potential

Schmergen

One of Us
Mar 27, 2002
Newcastle NSW
Here's the itinerary:

It's a Man-Cation.
Denver driving back West via Utah National Parks and Vegas.
Mix of Skiing, National Parks and getting absolutely totalled in Vegas.
Squeezed into 15 nights to keep Wife happy.

- Sunday 26th Feb: Fly to Denver
- Drive straight to Brecks stay 7 nights- do Summit County Resorts and Vail.
- Sun 5th March: Drive on to Moab Utah (Arches NP and Canyonlands NP)
- Mon 6th March: Drive on for a night in Monument Valley
- Tues 7th March: Drive to Springdale Utah via Page (Antelope Canyon)
- Stay 2 nights in Springdale Utah (Zion NP)
- Do Zion NP one day and do Brian Head Ski Resort Utah the next.
- Thurs 9th March: Finish up on the slopes and drive from Brian Head Ski Resort to Las Vegas
- Vegas Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night
- Sun 12th March: Drive to LA stay o'night
- Mon 13th March: Fly home

Boom!

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Not enough Copper Mountain.

If you are doing Summit County with a car Frisco/Dillon may be cheaper than Breck. Vail is a shithole (personal prejudice)

If you are staying in Monument Valley the View Hotel. Also, I assume that you have mapped it but Zion after Monument looks like backtracking to me.

Las Vegas is a hole (personal prejudice) but you have to discover that for yourself.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Here's the itinerary:

It's a Man-Cation.

- Thurs 9th March: Finish up on the slopes and drive from Brian Head Ski Resort to Las Vegas

Boom!
Looks like a fun trip.

Reactions: Schmergen

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Here's the itinerary:

It's a Man-Cation.

Boom!
Did very similar trip 2016. Loved it. Enjoy. :thumbs:

Reactions: Schmergen

Astro66

Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Still formulating.

Narrowed down to :

11th - 27th Jan at Sun Peaks, flying into Seattle or

2nd - 24th Jan at Heavenly and Kirkwood flying into LA.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Cheap flights to the US on Virgin at the moment. ~$1100 to LA .

US trip could be on the cards.

Reactions: TOFF

Astro66

Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
You been to Seattle before??
The underground tour would interest you. They talk about how they removed shit from the upper parts of town.
Sean got an internship with Microsoft in 2010 so we went over to spend some time with him.

Didn't do that tour though.

MarkGC

One of Youse
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2010
Northern NSW
Flying into San Francisco on Jan 9, out again on Jan 29. All 6 of us on frequent flyer tickets!

Plan is to head to Tahoe, actual dates to be determined once the NHL schedule is released, we would love to take the kids to a game in San Jose either at the start or the end of the trip.

The plan is to use the Epic pass mostly, so we will base ourselves close to Heavenly with day trips to Kirkwood and Northstar.

Schmergen

One of Us
Mar 27, 2002
Newcastle NSW
Not enough Copper Mountain.

If you are doing Summit County with a car Frisco/Dillon may be cheaper than Breck. Vail is a shithole (personal prejudice)

If you are staying in Monument Valley the View Hotel. Also, I assume that you have mapped it but Zion after Monument looks like backtracking to me.

Las Vegas is a hole (personal prejudice) but you have to discover that for yourself.

Yeh totally agree about Copper. Like Breckenridge as a town - but much prefer Copper as a ski-field (despite popping a shoulder there last year).

Thought about staying in Frisco. Good little village - and a killer little German beer cafe (can't remember its name). And Frisco being such a central point between all of the resorts - and yeh cheaper as well. Been to Breck's a couple of times but with Wife and Family - but always wanted to show my mates what it was like.

Never been to Vail before (just driven past it) - really just want to go there to give the outer-bowls a run. I'll take you're advice tho and avoid staying there.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Locked in last week, at least the ends of the trip. Fly out 26 Jan, for 3 weeks, LA rtn on Q was about 1100. Not sure when the sale ends.

Looking at about a week at each of Breck and Park City (Epic Pass). Day trip to some nearby resorts also. I'd like to road trip and check some of the National Parks on the way. Will probably do a couple of nights in Vegas for shts and giggles. Talk of San Fran, which I'd like to do, but might not be worth the extra travel when I know I'll be back there again.

Now just have to coordinate the itinerary with the group and find some good accomodation.

Reactions: Astro66

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Yeh totally agree about Copper. Like Breckenridge as a town - but much prefer Copper as a ski-field (despite popping a shoulder there last year).

Thought about staying in Frisco. Good little village - and a killer little German beer cafe (can't remember its name). And Frisco being such a central point between all of the resorts - and yeh cheaper as well. Been to Breck's a couple of times but with Wife and Family - but always wanted to show my mates what it was like.

Never been to Vail before (just driven past it) - really just want to go there to give the outer-bowls a run. I'll take you're advice tho and avoid staying there.
Locked in last week, at least the ends of the trip. Fly out 26 Jan, for 3 weeks, LA rtn on Q was about 1100. Not sure when the sale ends.

Looking at about a week at each of Breck and Park City (Epic Pass). Day trip to some nearby resorts also. I'd like to road trip and check some of the National Parks on the way. Will probably do a couple of nights in Vegas for shts and giggles. Talk of San Fran, which I'd like to do, but might not be worth the extra travel when I know I'll be back there again.

Now just have to coordinate the itinerary with the group and find some good accomodation.
Dillon is another good little town to stay for the Vail resorts in Colorado. Central and easy to navigate to them all from here, although Frisco village has a cute vibe. there's a great little Creole restaurant here that does fantastic beignets too. Daily après ski staple! :D

Vegas is good fun for a couple of days, a big party atmosphere with over the top hotel themes that have to be seen to be believed, and some great entertainment and shows.

BoardingBunny

One of Us
Jun 9, 2002
Jindabyne
Yup, we are booked Dec 7th till Jan 25.

Monster is training with Park City Ski team, and we were looking at leaving around the 16th but the flights out on the 7th were between 1200 and 1800 cheaper.. O shucks, I will just have to leave early.

StuckinQld

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 28, 2009
Hunter Valley / Newcastle ish
Here's the itinerary:

It's a Man-Cation.

Boom!
Did a similar trip. Took 2 weeks to travel to LA after 2 weeks in JH. SLC for one night, 3 nights Moab, flagstaff 3 nights (Jason planned for monument valley but weather wasn't kind so continued on then had an easy day in flagstaff with pediatrician appts thanks to kids getting at infections), 3 nights Springdale and did a day trip to Bryce from there, then 3 nights in Vegas, and straight into LA to fly out. Had kids - 10 months and 3 at the time so had a few different considerations. Loved the National parks, and REI in Vegas....

Reactions: chunky

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Bugger it, we're going again. We'll be in Steamboat from 11 January to 2 February.

Obviously a bit better than 60/40 then :p - Well done - very jealous!!!! If it was up to me I would have already sorted/committed another trip. Not up to me sadly..........Cant complain as have been very lucky so will have to see what happens.

They have actually had a couple of decent falls up high - there was another foot on the webcam the other day as well (was around Mothers day as somebody put that Happy Mothers day note into the cam shot with the comment the skiing was still really good (as you would expect with a couple of 12" storms).

Astro66

Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Still formulating.

Narrowed down to :

11th - 27th Jan at Sun Peaks, flying into Seattle or

2nd - 24th Jan at Heavenly and Kirkwood flying into LA.
Well ...... locked in flights today. Got $1550 Fiji Airway to San Fran. 22Dec - 22 Jan.

So only a single 23kg bag each. One will have to be the ski bag. But it's still AUD$50 each way extra for the ski bag.

So resorts will be : Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood. Dates not locked in.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Well ...... locked in flights today. Got $1550 Fiji Airway to San Fran. 22Dec - 22 Jan.

So only a single 23kg bag each. One will have to be the ski bag. But it's still AUD$50 each way extra for the ski bag.

Good stuff Astro.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004

If you get a chance, spend a day at Sierra in south lake and Homewood in North :)

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Steamboat early pass closes EOM so looking like locking in again for Jan.
Actually you have just reminded of something that I meant to post a week or so ago.

I stumbled on to this announcement from Steamboat and Winter Park about a new season pass they are offering this year only to International guests.

In short, it is USD600 for an adult, good for both Steamboat and Winter Park from 1 Jan 2017 - 17 Feb 2017 only. As with a normal Steamboat season pass, an adult pass gets a kid a free pass. You do not get the other passholder benefits though. It is only available through select Australian snow travel agents, but my inquiries show that some will not sell it to you unless you buy accommodation from them. However, SkiMax will sell it for a $50 "no accommodation fee".

Read more here

http://my.steamboat.com/discover-mo...617-international-passes-and-deals/#more-5758

yourmate

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2014
Actually you have just reminded of something that I meant to post a week or so ago.

I stumbled on to this announcement from Steamboat and Winter Park about a new season pass they are offering this year only to International guests.

In short, it is USD600 for an adult, good for both Steamboat and Winter Park from 1 Jan 2017 - 17 Feb 2017 only. As with a normal Steamboat season pass, an adult pass gets a kid a free pass. You do not get the other passholder benefits though. It is only available through select Australian snow travel agents, but my inquiries show that some will not sell it to you unless you buy accommodation from them. However, SkiMax will sell it for a $50 "no accommodation fee".

Read more here

http://my.steamboat.com/discover-mo...617-international-passes-and-deals/#more-5758

Excellent Thanks Absent Skiier! I did make an enquiry (elsewhere) and was told we had to book accom. I was thinking of paying for one night at to qualify. This pass is perfect for us.

MarkGC

One of Youse
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2010
Northern NSW

I'll have to get myself a new ski outfit, I'll need to look my best if I accidentally show up in the background of an @Astro66 post.

Reactions: Summit and Astro66
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using