USA 2016 - 2017 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Yeah it looks like you'll be there at the right time. February hasn't been great at all.

Hey @absentskier - I had meant to ask if you were gonna try and get any of the kids into the street events for winter carnival but looks like I left it a little late. Trust you have had fun this weekend and enjoy the fireworks and post a couple of pics from WC up for me as I am always jealous that I miss the weekend.

Regarding Feb - I have looked a few times and it seemed the Jan trend (relatively warm) extended into Feb. Few times I have looked at cams after snowfalls it appeared wet at lower elevations and looking at this recent storm that seemed to be the case as well (saw some guy on Joels comments saying when he skinned up it was rain above 10K). The other day I think there were 40's forecasted on the hill so I guess pretty warm and heavy if for some of the fresh you have had.

How much longer you there? Have loved the pics (bit of a worry when I know exactly where shots are taken like that Outlaw one :D).

Hi @Hamburglar - great to hear you have enjoyed Steamboat and I have enjoyed reading about your trip. Trust you got up Storm and soaked in some of the great views - now you just need to share some pics :thumbs:

Hi @Nidecker - Viking parade? What's the story there (that float had dog statue and the dog on the sail?). Regarding the Firearm notice it was either last year or the year before and someone handed in a handgun into lost property (as it was found on the slopes) at Vail I think. I mean seriously o_O - who the hell decides to go skiing packing heat? CO is pretty redneck - always amazing me their obsession with guns.

What does your kid do to be in a race? Was it a drop in type thing or did you specifically travel to compete?

Hi @oldgeezer - Great news and guessing you are counting down the days now. Have a safe journey and we will expect updates from the ground :)

Loved the pics @p2p :thumbs: How was Montana?

Hey @bertys - Looks like we will suffer today in Brissy :mad: Great to see the kids ripping it up. Where were they in that shot and they are on a track (skidoo?) in that gully?

Anyway - for all those enjoying the cooler climes whilst I sit here and swelter in the heat - have fun and keep the updates coming :D

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Hi @oldgeezer - Great news and guessing you are counting down the days now. Have a safe journey and we will expect updates from the ground :)
Ta @Scooter. I'm quietly excited and a bit apprehensive, which is a good sign. Fingers crossed my ski improvement camp goes well and while it won't necessarily set me up to take on anything like what bertys's kids do maybe it'll help me get value out of the week I have planned for Buller at the end of July.

Last trip away I broke my little pocket camera by having my finger across the lens area when I pressed the on button, busting the spring mechanism. So I will have to rely on the phone and perhaps take my headcam after all, for pics.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Hey @absentskier - I had meant to ask if you were gonna try and get any of the kids into the street events for winter carnival but looks like I left it a little late. Trust you have had fun this weekend and enjoy the fireworks and post a couple of pics from WC up for me as I am always jealous that I miss the weekend.

Regarding Feb - I have looked a few times and it seemed the Jan trend (relatively warm) extended into Feb. Few times I have looked at cams after snowfalls it appeared wet at lower elevations and looking at this recent storm that seemed to be the case as well (saw some guy on Joels comments saying when he skinned up it was rain above 10K). The other day I think there were 40's forecasted on the hill so I guess pretty warm and heavy if for some of the fresh you have had.

How much longer you there? Have loved the pics (bit of a worry when I know exactly where shots are taken like that Outlaw one :D).

Hi @Hamburglar - great to hear you have enjoyed Steamboat and I have enjoyed reading about your trip. Trust you got up Storm and soaked in some of the great views - now you just need to share some pics :thumbs:

Hi @Nidecker - Viking parade? What's the story there (that float had dog statue and the dog on the sail?). Regarding the Firearm notice it was either last year or the year before and someone handed in a handgun into lost property (as it was found on the slopes) at Vail I think. I mean seriously o_O - who the hell decides to go skiing packing heat? CO is pretty redneck - always amazing me their obsession with guns.

What does your kid do to be in a race? Was it a drop in type thing or did you specifically travel to compete?

Loved the pics @p2p :thumbs: How was Montana?

Hey @bertys - Looks like we will suffer today in Brissy :mad: Great to see the kids ripping it up. Where were they in that shot and they are on a track (skidoo?) in that gully?

Anyway - for all those enjoying the cooler climes whilst I sit here and swelter in the heat - have fun and keep the updates coming :D
Hi Scooter.

Mate we've already been home a week! Left Steamboat on 1st. The kids thought we were flying straight through but we took them to Disneyland for a day as a surprise.

MIL tells me it's been very warm and only really snowed once (before today) since we left.

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Finally had a good day. Yesterday, we couldn't get to California side, & Mrs jgm prefers green, so we headed to Boulder. When we pulled up, the lift was running, but by the time we'd unloaded the car, everything had stopped. We headed into the lodge for a coffee while waiting for it to start, only to find out that the power was out (it was finally at 11:00 PM), and nothing on the Nevada site was running. To make matters worse, Kingsbury grade was closed. The lodge was handing out free cookies, and coffee (they'd made it before the power went), so we stayed until it was reported that Kingsbury was now open. So we headed over to California. The parking lot had the full sign out, but there were quite a few cars heading out and we found a good park close to the lodge.

Our condo is only a few hundred metres from Stagecoach lift, but the walk is uphill and a bit too much for an old fart used to being at sea level, so I decided to drive. You can't drive uphill, but have to travel around the one way loop. By the time I'd scraped the ice off the windscreen (inside as well as out) it was 8:30. I drove around the loop and both car parks were full already, so I returned to our normal parking spot and caught the shuttle bus. There were plenty of people on the mountain, but the lift queues were almost non-existent. The sun shone for all of 10 minutes, and then the cloud settled on the upper mountain. Ungroomed runs were a bit interesting, I'd go to plant a pole for a turn & it would disappear up to the handle, but the next one would be quite firm. scoped out a few runs for Mrs jgm tomorrow (she only skis every 2nd day). At least it looks like we should have reasonable weather for the next few days.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

It was the ULLR fest at breck when we were there pretty fun seeing people swimming in -8 degrees.
Daughter trained a bit with the local race club, the easiest way to race in USSA races is to join USSA, As far as I can tell, our Australian SSA are not really able to assist with racing overseas. It would probably only be something you would do if you trained pretty seriously in AUS, otherwise it would probably range from dangerous -> demoralizing given the standard of the local kids, particularly on that U/14 SuperG course.

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Good day at Snowmass, took a while to get the kinks out but had a blast, conditions really good, plenty of fresh around but pretty big Sunday crowd churned it up.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Final day at Squaw today. After three days of rain early in the week, we scored a few feet on Weds night, and the skiing/weather has been great since. Week saved!

Driving back to SFO tonight, and onto DEN/Steamboat tomorrow :D

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Well the snow portion of my trip is coming to an end. The past week at Breck and surrounds has been akin to Aus conditions. There's been a couple of snowfalls, but lots of marginal temperatures meaning it's been heavy and lower runs have been suffering, lots of thaw/freeze cycles around the towns as well.

Disappointingly only got one run over on Peak 6 early in the week and none off the higher chairs/t-bar as later in the week saw a lot of wind hold. Peak 10 was the pick on the last day.

On Saturday it was time for our group to split in multiple directions. I booked a rental car for the remaining week of my trip but had to go down to Denver to pick it up before returning to Edwards (Beaver Creek) for a few nights. In the spirit of fun/flexibility that's the last week of my trip, I joined a few friends who had a car in checking out Vail for a few hours before going back to Denver rather than joining a friend on the shuttle in the morning, well that added some adventure. The conditions were poor - light rain at village level turning to wet snow higher up, fog/cloud across the mountain and parts closed. Definitely got the sense of how fun this hill could be in good conditions. We stopped about 1pm to have lunch in the village. The snow lower mountain was horrible and slushy. Whilst having lunch, the rain in the village turned to snow. Anyway, leaving Vail around 3pm, all was looking good to be back up in the mountains at a reasonable time. Until the I70 was closed in both directions for over an hour (with us sitting on it) due to spinouts and a crash at Vail Summit. After some gear and people dropoffs I picked up my car about 930pm and made it to Edwards after midnight. There was a fair amount of snow on the road from the afternoon but none falling so a pretty easy drive compared to the blizzard conditions we drove Van>Sun Peaks a couple of years ago.

So Yesterday I toured Beaver Creek for the day. A fun mountain with a good mix of mellow runs with trees, some bigger bumps and (almost)steeps and even a section reminiscent of Japanese hills. The previous afternoon's snow gave a little fresh layer, but again it was quite heavy and with a firm base underneath.

I was going to visit A-basin but that was out yesterday due to the previous long day and have decided on a sleep in and rest day today before starting my road trip tomorrow.

The snow stats according to Ski Tracks (which missed a few runs when I dropped my phone in the snow):
- 13 days
- 5 resort areas
- 67k vert metres
The stats according to Vail (EpicMix app):
- 233k vert feet
- 186 lift rides
- a bunch of game-ified points, stickers and medals.

$ spent on US lift tickets = 0! (though they got plenty of spend on accom and food, and $ from the non epic-pass friends who joined)

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
So, on to the road trip I mentioned.

I picked up a Nissan Rogue - haven't researched but seems like it's probably the X-trail back home. 500 miles on the clock. We'll be good friends after I significantly increase that odometer reading.

Tomorrow I leave Edwards for Moab where I'll stay for a night, and visit Arches National Park.
The next day I travel to Monument Valley - staying at a hotel with a view for the night, recommended in one of the older threads
Next night is in Springdale, where I'll visit Zion NP
Then a long day driving back to LAX for a late night flight home.
I'm glad I'm getting to check these places out, though I think it'll be a little rushed and I'm sure I'll discover after the fact that I narrowly missed some good stops. I had wanted to do the whole trip on the road with the group and do stops along the way, but couldn't coordinate the group, so this is a good consolation.

Reactions: Summit

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
P1070289.JPG
P1070291.JPG
P1070297.JPG
P1070295.JPG
P1070302.JPG

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
So, on to the road trip I mentioned.

I picked up a Nissan Rogue - haven't researched but seems like it's probably the X-trail back home. 500 miles on the clock. We'll be good friends after I significantly increase that odometer reading.

Tomorrow I leave Edwards for Moab where I'll stay for a night, and visit Arches National Park.
The next day I travel to Monument Valley - staying at a hotel with a view for the night, recommended in one of the older threads
Then a long day driving back to LAX for a late night flight home.
I'm glad I'm getting to check these places out, though I think it'll be a little rushed and I'm sure I'll discover after the fact that I narrowly missed some good stops. I had wanted to do the whole trip on the road with the group and do stops along the way, but couldn't coordinate the group, so this is a good consolation.
It's only about a 4 hr drive from Monument Valley to Springdale. Enough time to do the sunrise jeep trip with the Navajo Indians through Monument Valley before leaving for Springdale. I've done it in winter...recommended.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Winter is a great time to visit, it's the only time you can drive into the canyon, and there'll be very few people there.

This is a good place for dinner with tasty local beer, right next to the park entrance.

http://www.zionbrewery.com/

or this one a mile or so from the entrance, but very limited winter hours

http://www.bitandspur.com/

Reactions: KylePee

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
It's only about a 4 hr drive from Monument Valley to Springdale. Enough time to do the sunrise jeep trip with the Navajo Indians through Monument Valley before leaving for Springdale. I've done it in winter...recommended.
The only problem is I need to be on the road to LA by midday at the VERY latest so planing to use the prior afternoon on Zion so will need to leave Springdale early. Kind of kicking myself that I didn't leave the snow a night earlier and have 2 nights near Zion.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
The only problem is I need to be on the road to LA by midday at the VERY latest so planing to use the prior afternoon on Zion so will need to leave Springdale early. Kind of kicking myself that I didn't leave the snow a night earlier and have 2 nights near Zion.
Not having enough time in the South West is a permanent problem. However much time you have is not enough.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Being mid winter, it will probably be at about freezing temp in Zion Canyon, there will probably be some snow about and very few people. The sort of conditions that would stop me from doing any serious hiking by myself. I did do an easy fairly short hike to Emerald Pools one winter trip when by myself. As awesome as it is, the main areas of Zion aren't going to take you that long to see if you're only doing the drives and stopping to take a few pics. You will get to drive the main road of the park when driving from the eastern park entrance to Springdale. Zion Canyon is the most spectacular part, and Zion Canyon Road is a right turn just before you get to Springdale. ZCR is only about 10kms of spectacular scenery to the end of the Canyon, and then back again.

You could easily leave the Zion Canyon drive until the following morning if you're not leaving Springdale until just before lunch. That would mean seeing Bryce Canyon is also a possibility the previous day. Bryce is a one hour drive north of Mount Carmel Junction, so 2hrs return plus an hour or two at Bryce. Bryce is very car friendly with plenty of vantage points to drive to along the ridge above the canyon. It's at about 8,000ft, so check the road conditions before deciding to take the detour. You could fit in a sunrise jeep tour at Monument Valley, a detour to Bryce Canyon and get to Springdale at about sunset, depending on the time the sunrise Jeep Tour finishes. Keep an eye on the weather, all those places are going to be appreciably better with the sun shining on the rocks.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Thanks @Summit, will try to keep all that in mind. Will be figuring out the minor details each night. Main thing on that last day is to give myself plenty of time to get to the airport. Given the length of the drive, I'll be planning with a 2-3 hour buffer so likely on the road by 10am.
Essentially trying to squeeze a lot in without killing myself!

Reactions: Summit

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Thanks @Summit, will try to keep all that in mind. Will be figuring out the minor details each night. Main thing on that last day is to give myself plenty of time to get to the airport. Given the length of the drive, I'll be planning with a 2-3 hour buffer so likely on the road by 10am.
Essentially trying to squeeze a lot in without killing myself!
Google Maps says Springdale to LAX takes 6hrs 36mins

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Not having enough time in the South West is a permanent problem. However much time you have is not enough.
I recognise the conundrum. For a little while I've been itching to get OG1 to stretch her legs on slope but sweeten the deal by making it a week in Purgatory, not too challenging for either of us and being a family resort perhaps with a vibe more attuned to families but still partaking of that great south west CO scenery, and then into northern AZ and on to Utah for another couple of weeks for the National Parks etc. (We had an inkling of that a year ago when we drove to Dillon via Colorado Springs, then I24/I9, the Hoisier Pass descent kind of reminding me of the Crown Range Rd switchbacks just above Arrow Junction, just loved that I24 scenery). The conundrum is that the time one needs means it will have to wait until OG1 is retired but then we shall have to watch the pennies.

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Yep. Generally rated rather mild but like a number of CO ski hills the pitch tends to increase nearer the bottom and it has a few trickier areas, from where the best views are obtained.

In the meantime road trip wise we are squishing a Fall Colors visit to New England / Ontario / Great Lakes visit into16 days late Sep / early Oct, starting from JFK where OG1 has relatives in Brooklyn, and leaving from ORD. Business and First (ORD-HND), on QF points and burning all of my Aeroplan air miles.

Reactions: rime noreason

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Hi all, ill have a good read of this thread over the next few weeks but any thoughts appreciated

Planning on leaving Melb 15th-18th December 2017 after kids school finishes. Maybe fly to Hawaii and see some volcanoes, then to Seattle to see family, maybe for xmas.

Then its time to ski the US! Never skiied US. Im probably upper intermediate Hotham tele skiier, happy on hotham blacks in good conditions. Mrs mr solid on anything but happiest on blues. 3 kids, who will be nearly 14, 11 and nearly 9 by then. All 3 kids good skiiers, 14 year old probably better than me and faster now, 11 year old solid speed freak, 9 year old girl better than she thinks, happy skiier but really only blues, maybe that will change this year. Interested in maybe 2 locations, maybe 10 days. We dont mind roughing it, and certainly arent after a too fancy or 'resorty' place, like a bit of backcountry or natural setting etc, but would be guided or hut-based trips. Happy just to ski resorts as a family. Any places to look at? Packages? Tips? I imagine its the busiest time.......cheers

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Hi all, ill have a good read of this thread over the next few weeks but any thoughts appreciated

Planning on leaving Melb 15th-18th December 2017 after kids school finishes. Maybe fly to Hawaii and see some volcanoes, then to Seattle to see family, maybe for xmas.

Then its time to ski the US! Never skiied US. Im probably upper intermediate Hotham tele skiier, happy on hotham blacks in good conditions. Mrs mr solid on anything but happiest on blues. 3 kids, who will be nearly 14, 11 and nearly 9 by then. All 3 kids good skiiers, 14 year old probably better than me and faster now, 11 year old solid speed freak, 9 year old girl better than she thinks, happy skiier but really only blues, maybe that will change this year. Interested in maybe 2 locations, maybe 10 days. We dont mind roughing it, and certainly arent after a too fancy or 'resorty' place, like a bit of backcountry or natural setting etc, but would be guided or hut-based trips. Happy just to ski resorts as a family. Any places to look at? Packages? Tips? I imagine its the busiest time.......cheers

Don't be intimidated by USA ski resorts, whilst you can find steep and scary (think Crested Butte / Jackson Hole) there are way more beginner / intermediate skiers in the USA than you would first imagine, and there are plenty of resorts with great beginner intermediate terrain. I would argue that even black runs in the US are not as challenging as some of the blues in Australia by virtue of the snow quality etc: eg: I would argue that highnoon at Thredbo is very much more difficult on a bad day than almost any single black I have skied in the US. If you ski Hotham nothing in the US will really bother you.

Snowmass and Breckenridge both offer significant "normal" terrain, I'm sure others will chime in.

Plan ahead with regard to season passes, the Epic pass (Perisher) provides enormous value, if it suits you. I have no recent experience with other resorts, but a day pass at the Vail resorts ran as much as US$180. so our AUS Epic pass is amazing value.

Reactions: mr

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
It's been bluebird conditions for the last 3 days & Heavenly has been heavenly. This morning Olympic lift broke just before I loaded, and stayed closed for the rest of the day. The groomers are all really good, and the bumps are getting bigger, but are mostly still soft - still having poles bottom out when planting.

Highway 50 is still closed in both directions - CA side due to a mud slide, and NV side due to a rock fall.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Of the places in the US to which I have been recently I would say any of Snowmass, Telluride and Jackson.

Telluride has a bit of a problem in that there not much terrain where black and blue runs can be accessed off the same chair which limits opportunities for groups of varied ability skiing in the same area.

Jackson has a liberal back country policy and OOB terrain is easy to access through gates.

Left field would be Alta (provided everyone skis) but you won't get condos there.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
And is Canada out of the question?

Not at all. I reckon we have 2 weeks volcanoes and family and west coast sights, then 2 weeks mountains.....so pretty open really

25 years ago i did the marine highway from bellingham up the inside passage to alaska and back to vancouver....i promised my partner n kids we would do it one day, although im not sure mid winter is the time.....

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

Hardest thing will be choosing where to go because there are so many good options in the USA alone. Given you are going to be in Seattle, the PNW resorts are within reach.

Reactions: gortonator and mr

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Not at all. I reckon we have 2 weeks volcanoes and family and west coast sights, then 2 weeks mountains.....so pretty open really

25 years ago i did the marine highway from bellingham up the inside passage to alaska and back to vancouver....i promised my partner n kids we would do it one day, although im not sure mid winter is the time.....
Another good option for family skiing in the Pacific Northwest is Whitefish Montana. We went there a few years ago when the kids were younger.

Another trip report to look at ;) - https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/whitefish-montana-the-final-summary.51488/#post-1549637

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Yes so many options! I also spent 6 weeks in Montana working with US forest service in Beartooth Wilderness, Glacier NP etc and loved it. Thanks for your tips! im revving up mrs mr and the kids, and these trip reports are a big part of my collateral!

Reactions: Born2ski

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Being mid winter, it will probably be at about freezing temp in Zion Canyon, there will probably be some snow about and very few people. The sort of conditions that would stop me from doing any serious hiking by myself. I did do an easy fairly short hike to Emerald Pools one winter trip when by myself. As awesome as it is, the main areas of Zion aren't going to take you that long to see if you're only doing the drives and stopping to take a few pics. You will get to drive the main road of the park when driving from the eastern park entrance to Springdale. Zion Canyon is the most spectacular part, and Zion Canyon Road is a right turn just before you get to Springdale. ZCR is only about 10kms of spectacular scenery to the end of the Canyon, and then back again.

You could easily leave the Zion Canyon drive until the following morning if you're not leaving Springdale until just before lunch. That would mean seeing Bryce Canyon is also a possibility the previous day. Bryce is a one hour drive north of Mount Carmel Junction, so 2hrs return plus an hour or two at Bryce. Bryce is very car friendly with plenty of vantage points to drive to along the ridge above the canyon. It's at about 8,000ft, so check the road conditions before deciding to take the detour. You could fit in a sunrise jeep tour at Monument Valley, a detour to Bryce Canyon and get to Springdale at about sunset, depending on the time the sunrise Jeep Tour finishes. Keep an eye on the weather, all those places are going to be appreciably better with the sun shining on the rocks.

Have come around to this! Forgot about the hour I get back when I change time zones on the last day too. Will still be a big day in the car fitting Bryce in tomorrow so I'll have to see if I take as many detours as today before I commit to it.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Have come around to this! Forgot about the hour I get back when I change time zones on the last day too. Will still be a big day in the car fitting Bryce in tomorrow so I'll have to see if I take as many detours as today before I commit to it.
Probably not many detours to do when driving from Monument Valley to Springdale other than the Bryce one I mentioned. You could see Horseshoe Bend just before you get to Paige. It involves a drive of a minute or two off the highway and then a return walk of ???? best guess 40 minutes.

http://horseshoebend.com/#

It's 4 hrs 15mins to drive between MV and Springdale. If you're not doing the sunrise jeep tour tomorrow then you're probably going to look for a detour or two unless you haven't 2-3 hours to spare to see Zion Canyon on your following 25 hr day.

Bryce is a 3 - 4hr add on, Horseshoe Bend 1 - 1.5hrs. Depends on how big you want to make the day. I love driving and usually think of it in terms of I may never get to see this place again !

I see the forecast for Bryce on Thursday being mainly sunshine with some cloud cover, with the snow arriving on Friday.

Have a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: KylePee
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass