USA 2017 - 2018 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Review

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
85C05795-4D37-4CCC-9C18-9E81D6F4D8A0.jpeg

Imperial chairlift opened at Breck today. The sign tells me that at almost 4000m it is the highest lift in North America. Google tells me that it’s the highest chairlift in the world (there are higher gondolas and might be out of date). While the snow was nice, a little crusty on top, it tracked out quickly. So nice to be there for day 1. I’ve been wanting to take the trail all the way to the gondola base, so did it today. Top to bottom, Breck website tells me a drop of around 1000m and around 6km long. Fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: rime noreason

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Strange for January. What day were you there?
It was Sunday of MLK weekend. Carpark probably only fits 20 cars from what I could see while the guy tried to get my attention to move on. We drove in from North and if we had more time, could have taken a shuttle back.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
It was Sunday of MLK weekend. Carpark probably only fits 20 cars from what I could see while the guy tried to get my attention to move on. We drove in from North and if we had more time, could have taken a shuttle back.
That makes sense then. Midweek should be quiet.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Skied Heavenly yesterday and overall, what is open is in Good condition. Only about half the mountain was open though, so skied all the greens and blues in one day.

Today, there was rain forecast at Heavenly so drove over to Northstar instead. End up copping a couple of small light showers there while Heavenly remained dry according to +1 who stayed home. Northstar is in a dire situation. Top third is in good condition, middle third is fair, but soft, wet and patchy. The bottom third was wet, slow and awful. Most of the bottom half is all man-made. Probably only a third of the mountain is open. Locals at Northstar are talking up a big dump on Thursday to save the season, but the forecast is lots of rain.

Northstar wouldn't have had more than 150 people on the mountain and the town centre was like a ghost town. Starbucks was the busiest place in town, with everyone using free wifi. If Northstar doesn't get some serious cold weather to freeze and make snow, or a good foot of snow in the next few weeks, it is cooked!!!!

Northstar looks like it could be an amazing mountain. Probably better that Heavenly IMHO, but snow dependent. Vail seems to have all the accoms locked in though and not a real town like South Lake, so this is still my favourite.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Skied Heavenly yesterday and overall, what is open is in Good condition. Only about half the mountain was open though, so skied all the greens and blues in one day.

Today, there was rain forecast at Heavenly so drove over to Northstar instead. End up copping a couple of small light showers there while Heavenly remained dry according to +1 who stayed home. Northstar is in a dire situation. Top third is in good condition, middle third is fair, but soft, wet and patchy. The bottom third was wet, slow and awful. Most of the bottom half is all man-made. Probably only a third of the mountain is open. Locals at Northstar are talking up a big dump on Thursday to save the season, but the forecast is lots of rain.

Northstar wouldn't have had more than 150 people on the mountain and the town centre was like a ghost town. Starbucks was the busiest place in town, with everyone using free wifi. If Northstar doesn't get some serious cold weather to freeze and make snow, or a good foot of snow in the next few weeks, it is cooked!!!!

Northstar looks like it could be an amazing mountain. Probably better that Heavenly IMHO, but snow dependent. Vail seems to have all the accoms locked in though and not a real town like South Lake, so this is still my favourite.
I had a few days at Northstar in March 1983 when the base area was tiny and just a few condo buildings off in the forest but being at the tail end of the 1982 El Nino with over 2 metres of at the base it was nothing like those dreadful pictures.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Skied all day at Heavenly. Skied down into Stagecoach area early and conditions were pretty good. At the loading area, got a bit sloppy. Skied back to Gondola/Lodge for lunch. Then skied down into the Gun-barrel area. Not a lot of love down low. Top 3/4 of California side in great shape though.

Got up to 13 degrees in SLT today! Spring skiing in Oz conditions!

Last day today. We decided a short while ago that we would head to San Fran a day early to get a full 36 hours there. Turns out probably good decision as forecast is a lot of rain tomorrow...all day....:(

Probably going to be a long time until we venture back to US for a holiday...or skiing. The risk of bad snow in school holidays is a very real obstacle and this trip has been underwhelming. With +1 in Education and locked into school holiday times, might stick to Japow in the future.

MarkGC

One of Youse
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2010
Northern NSW
HOLY CRAP! :eek:

We were in Tahoe this time last year and missed skiing days due to resorts being closed for too much snow. I had no idea it could be this variable.

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
On a positive note -
We are currently in Whitefish Montana. Base is over 2 m. Everything is open. Snowpack and inches to date are both above average. Boarding is great fun. Got here to a week of basically constant snow followed by a couple of beautiful bluebird days and now it's snowing again. Only downside is that visibility is not amazing.
If anyone wants to come and join us we are here for a other week and can show you around.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Steamboat has been great I have to say. In a low snowfall season so far, the whole mountain is still open and the last couple of weeks have been very good. My opinion of the place has actually gone up seeing how well the mountain operations and snowmaking crews have performed this year. Not many powder days in our time here but still a heap of fun.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Steamboat has been great I have to say. In a low snowfall season so far, the whole mountain is still open and the last couple of weeks have been very good. My opinion of the place has actually gone up seeing how well the mountain operations and snowmaking crews have performed this year. Not many powder days in our time here but still a heap of fun.
Same at Breck. Hoping for one more snow day before we leave, but I suspect we will be driving out as the pow comes in. But I’ve still had my best days skiing ever here, the groomers have been superb, every lift is open and 80% of the terrain. I have hit more rocks than an entire season in Aus. For a low snow year, it still beats skiing in Aus. I’ll be back, I really like the place and love the feel of big mountain resorts. 2 more days :cry:

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
So we got out of Tahoe's blue skis this morning.

Trying to avoid rain. Spent the day wet and socked in, first in Sausolito, then San Fran.

Walked streets of Haight-Astbury, shopped, then headed out to Mel's Dinner.

Still hosing down outside.

Last day in US tomorrow. Hit a few sights, the fly home via Sydney.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Sitting in SFO. Reflecting on 15 days on snow. Consensus is that Heavenly was in the best shape, Park City was the overall best based on size and number of runs but their conditions seemed poorly managed. Northstar is presently a disaster. Skied 16 days on Epic pass this12 months so happy with that. Won't do it again. As others have sgguested, Vail resorts are expensive at some point, whether it's accoms, food, or something.

Hard to be motivated for any future US trips.

Really happy we did the 36 hours in SF. We had originally planned to ski all day today, then fang to the airport for a 2335 flight. Q moved the flight 3 hours forward and that was what started the ball rolling about hitting SF earlier.

Hung around Fishermans wharf, Coit tower, Alamo Park and the Castro. We've done the main tourist stuff here before.

Got to airport 3 hours before flight and sitting in the bar watching the Australian Open. +1 is keen to get home.

Ciao.

Reactions: oldgeezer

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Sitting in SFO. Reflecting on 15 days on snow. Consensus is that Heavenly was in the best shape, Park City was the overall best based on size and number of runs but their conditions seemed poorly managed. Northstar is presently a disaster. Skied 16 days on Epic pass this12 months so happy with that. Won't do it again. As others have sgguested, Vail resorts are expensive at some point, whether it's accoms, food, or something.

Hard to be motivated for any future US trips.

Really happy we did the 36 hours in SF. We had originally planned to ski all day today, then fang to the airport for a 2335 flight. Q moved the flight 3 hours forward and that was what started the ball rolling about hitting SF earlier.

Hung around Fishermans wharf, Coit tower, Alamo Park and the Castro. We've done the main tourist stuff here before.

Got to airport 3 hours before flight and sitting in the bar watching the Australian Open. +1 is keen to get home.

Ciao.
I managed 48 days on my Epic Pass, 31 at home, 17 here. I’ve loved it here and am keen to come back. Will be where you are in 48 hours. :(

SEN123

Hard Yards
May 11, 2014
We head to Heavenly on Monday and thankfully it has dumped 30cm in the last 24 hrs and 48cm in the last 7 days. 175cm overall. We will be skiing tue-sat and looks like there are a few more cm most days with another overnight dump mid-week. Fingers crossed it turns out the way it is predicted.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Looking at the Breck cams is just making me cry as we sit in DIA waiting for our delayed flight. 2 foot storm :cry::cry:

Reactions: oldgeezer

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Well our time at Steamboat has come to an end. Had a great few hours yesterday morning skiing around East Face.

Packed the place up yesterday, drive to Denver today and now in Las Vegas for a couple of days, then Zion NP and then leave for home on Friday.

Lovely clear flight today. Flew over Copper and Breck.

77C1069E-709F-4F61-A8D6-F2E151807F3D.jpeg

Attachments

• FE343CE7-A562-4980-8F66-4A52A72C0687.jpeg
    FE343CE7-A562-4980-8F66-4A52A72C0687.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 19

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Did you fly San Fran to Sydney on Friday night and sit next to me in exit row????
Nope.
Lax to bnea week and a half back. Wife had an exit row which was meant for me but I scored the 2 seats at the back of the plane for myself.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Haha!

Have skied a bit on my birthday in Tahoe. She'll be right!

Catching up with my bestie have just realised it will be our 20 yr reunion of when we worked together/meet at Heavenly!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Almost all unpacked, damage report thanks to Fiji/Qantas. Douchebag, 4 cuts up to a couple of cm long, one helmet packed inside with 2 indentations. Burton SB Bag, 2 large cuts/scuffs/paint marks on either side of the front, looks like it's been squeezed into an area too small for it, plus a 5cm cut on the back. One snowboard binding snapped (how the??). Plus the zipper was open at the top, though so far haven't identified anything missing.

Have lodged a claim with Qantas, and notified AAMI of my intention to claim on travel insurance if Qantas don't come through.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yikes!

We are booked on Qantas. Thankfully never had a problem with them, although with ski.commers luck this season who knows!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Yikes!

We are booked on Qantas. Thankfully never had a problem with them, although with ski.commers luck this season who knows!
I've had a couple of damaged suitcases before, never had a problem with ski bags until this trip. The Burton bag was definitely damaged between Brisbane and Canberra, a Qantas leg. Not so sure about the DB, but I it's all ticketed by Qantas anyway.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Had a great day at Zion National Park yesterday. Unfortunately due to illness in our group, we had to revise our plans a bit. We stayed at Pioneer Lodge in Springdale, walked the brilliant Canyon Overlook Trail, and did the West Rim Trail to Scouts Lookout. Weren’t game to let the kids do Angels Landing just yet.

Stunning place.

2B9AC12B-19AE-49FE-9C98-6DC7702879AB.jpeg

21107AF8-F8BD-43C2-B380-1CB5C0273637.jpeg

D0894CD3-0403-4578-9063-20FA3D5FFD46.jpeg

C11B303D-E070-46E0-A326-946BF53AB533.jpeg

9BAB3736-EA89-4D4F-B81A-E002CAFFBEFD.jpeg

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey @absentskier - so you back home yet or road tripping? Now that you have left Steamboat how have you rated it compared to previous seasons? Looks like Pony only just opened over the last weekend (their Friday) which surprised me and would have disappointed me if I was there. You hike up or traverse at all? I actually like spending time over there prior to the lift opening (and have had some great days prior to the lift opening) but just wouldn't have felt the same not being able to ride the lift whilst there (and have had one season were it didn't open whilst we were there).

I have been out of the loop the last few weeks as have had a couple of weeks traveling etc. and not bothered getting online and now that I know we would have had to have left by now I sort of haven't bothered following the season like I did up to the start of Jan. Certainly the comments I am seeing the last couple of days would suggest Steamboat has done really well from a CO perspective partly just by virtue of being more northerly.

For those still travelling or yet to travel keep up the pics and reports :thumbs:

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Hey @absentskier - so you back home yet or road tripping? Now that you have left Steamboat how have you rated it compared to previous seasons? Looks like Pony only just opened over the last weekend (their Friday) which surprised me and would have disappointed me if I was there. You hike up or traverse at all? I actually like spending time over there prior to the lift opening (and have had some great days prior to the lift opening) but just wouldn't have felt the same not being able to ride the lift whilst there (and have had one season were it didn't open whilst we were there).

I have been out of the loop the last few weeks as have had a couple of weeks traveling etc. and not bothered getting online and now that I know we would have had to have left by now I sort of haven't bothered following the season like I did up to the start of Jan. Certainly the comments I am seeing the last couple of days would suggest Steamboat has done really well from a CO perspective partly just by virtue of being more northerly.

For those still travelling or yet to travel keep up the pics and reports :thumbs:
Scooter we arrived home on Monday.
In summary, there was much less snow than any of our previous trips there. We arrived on Christmas Day and there was fresh snow on the ground but still very little snowpack. It pretty much didn't snow until 7 January, when 6 inches fell to freshen things up. The Christmas / New Year week was rough. Same old issues with big crowds to get up the gondola / Christie in the morning, but also hard, icy slopes with little off-piste open. Wasn't good.

It really wasn't until 11-13 Jan when 22 inches fell that things really improved. After that, you could pretty much ski most places. In between snowfalls, the mountain operations team did a great job with keeping things in the best shape possible, aided by snowmaking. They continued to open various runs with snowmaking all through January.

It was frustrating that Pony was not opened while we were there. I heard various whispers that this was as much due to staffing (lack of Ski Patrol) issues as snow conditions. I ventured over there only once from East Face / Nth St Pats.

Steamboat certainly has feared a lot better than most other resorts in Colorado and Utah. Again this coming week it looks like it will be just far enough north to pick up snow from passing storms.

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Had a great day at Zion National Park yesterday. Unfortunately due to illness in our group, we had to revise our plans a bit. We stayed at Pioneer Lodge in Springdale, walked the brilliant Canyon Overlook Trail, and did the West Rim Trail to Scouts Lookout. Weren’t game to let the kids do Angels Landing just yet.

Stunning place.

2B9AC12B-19AE-49FE-9C98-6DC7702879AB.jpeg

21107AF8-F8BD-43C2-B380-1CB5C0273637.jpeg

D0894CD3-0403-4578-9063-20FA3D5FFD46.jpeg

C11B303D-E070-46E0-A326-946BF53AB533.jpeg

9BAB3736-EA89-4D4F-B81A-E002CAFFBEFD.jpeg
Some of those pictures remind me so much of Smith Rock State Park near Bend OR.

Thx for posting too. Great motivation for ensuring next trip this time next year works out better than last one, i.e. to get fit. After a visit to friends/rels in Chicago the idea is to get back to CO for a spot of skiing on the Epic Local and then a road trip into northern AZ and UT.

p2p

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2000
Newport, Vic
Almost 2 weeks into this years trip. Flew into Salt Lake Mon 22nd. My standard disclaimer - I'm an old intermediate tele skier that's more likely to seek out mellow soft snow than steep and firm. First ski day was Tues at Alta where snow was more at a level I used to see in pre-Christmas trips though they had a 20 in storm over the preceding weekend that had finished up the day I flew in. Just eased into it but had some fine skiing particularly in Ballroom
P1240365.JPG

Top of the new Supreme lift
P1240368.JPG

Wed was at Snowbasin. Much lower coverage than Alta and bottom of Strawberry was pretty much snowmaking only. Raging winds at top saw Strawberry closed at lunchtime. Quite nice chalky snow off the groomed but you needed to pick your way, but groomers - particularly low down - were resembling white concrete. Not really my thing.
P1250376.JPG

Fri was back at Alta following 8in overnight. Fantastic in Ballroom and a range of runs off Supreme. Had a run through Saddle Traverse / Racecourse Saddle and could really see the low snow levels here with sticks poking through where I'd never seen them before - but still pretty enjoyable.

Rock N' Roll

P1260388.JPG

Sat did a couple of hours at Canyons side of Park City, only because I could do it without having to pay for it. Some nice chalky bumps off piste in Dreamscape area though again had to dodge quite a few obstacles and the groomers were again somewhat concrete-like.

Sun was last day in the area and headed for old favourite Powder Mountain with some trepidation as they were having a VERY lean start to the year. Village and Marys had only opened recently (Village now closed again) and Paradise still not open. But aspect was everything and both Marys and Village had some nice untracked low angle fresh soft snow and provided fun skiing. Groomers much nicer than Snowbasin and enough fresh in the trees to have fun with careful navigation.

Off Village

P1280409.JPG

Marys
P1280412.JPG

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Land in LAX Thursday week for 3 weeks!

Can anyone provide some suggestions for best websites for checking usa snow forecasts/reports and accomodation? :)

here is my very ambitious road trip plan.

Mammoth - Tahoe - mt baker - whistler - Jackson hole - big sky - park city

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20180212-175012.png

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Having a quick look at California reports...conditions are more dire than i imagined. Might just go straight up to PNW

rowsey85

Hard Yards
Oct 3, 2013
Land in LAX Thursday week for 3 weeks!

Can anyone provide some suggestions for best websites for checking usa snow forecasts/reports and accomodation? :)

here is my very ambitious road trip plan.

Mammoth - Tahoe - mt baker - whistler - Jackson hole - big sky - park city

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20180212-175012.png

Im heading over next Tuesday for 3 week also doing Whistler first then Tahoe they got snow today after 3 weeks of zero so it is dire but im hoping by second week of March will be ok

Heres what I would do if I were you (sounds like you have flexibility) and I did this trip 2 years ago. the snow this year has been epic in PNW, BC and Montana less than epic elsewhere

- Fly to Seattle and Hire Car
- Hit Baker, Crystal/Stevens Pass
- Drive straight to Jackson/Grand Targhee hit there for bit
- Drive north to Montana hit Big Sky & Bridger Bowl (stay in Bozeman great spot)
- Head further north there are some great little resorts in Montana like Discovery, Blacktail. no crowds some only open few days a week for "powder preservation". When I was last time one place was 2 cans of food donation for a lift ticket!
- End up at Whitefish. You will wanna stay here a while great town and the resort is awesome. Add that to they have the deepest snowpack in the rockies this year get there
- From Whitefish your options are Fernie, then to interior BC like Red Mountain etc or head dead West through Idaho and hit up Schweitzer
- if you go to Schweitzer DO NOt stay in sandpoint (the town at base of mountain) it is s shithole stay on the mountain
-head back to Seattle to fly out

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Im heading over next Tuesday for 3 week also doing Whistler first then Tahoe they got snow today after 3 weeks of zero so it is dire but im hoping by second week of March will be ok

Heres what I would do if I were you (sounds like you have flexibility) and I did this trip 2 years ago. the snow this year has been epic in PNW, BC and Montana less than epic elsewhere

- Fly to Seattle and Hire Car
- Hit Baker, Crystal/Stevens Pass
- Drive straight to Jackson/Grand Targhee hit there for bit
- Drive north to Montana hit Big Sky & Bridger Bowl (stay in Bozeman great spot)
- Head further north there are some great little resorts in Montana like Discovery, Blacktail. no crowds some only open few days a week for "powder preservation". When I was last time one place was 2 cans of food donation for a lift ticket!
- End up at Whitefish. You will wanna stay here a while great town and the resort is awesome. Add that to they have the deepest snowpack in the rockies this year get there
- From Whitefish your options are Fernie, then to interior BC like Red Mountain etc or head dead West through Idaho and hit up Schweitzer
- if you go to Schweitzer DO NOt stay in sandpoint (the town at base of mountain) it is s shithole stay on the mountain
-head back to Seattle to fly out

Thanks for the tips! Yes I have a completely open schedule; land in LAX, pick up hire car and #yolo for 3 weeks.

I'm keen to cruise a bit for a couple of days for acclimitisation + i love mega cruises (boosted to DP and back the other day, have driven uluru to melb in one hit), so if California doesnt improve im going to drive to Portland as my first ski stop. Mt hood meadows looks Epic!

p2p

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2000
Newport, Vic
Week 2 - Targhee and Jackson. Forecasting 1 - 2 ft as I drove from Salt Lake to Idaho Falls on the Monday but in a rare turn of events for this region the 'storm' underferformed significantly. Tuesday was at Targhee - one of my favourites - and windy enough to keep Dreamcatcher - the main lift - on wind hold all day. Still no queueing on the other 2 lifts - midweek crowds here generally mean having to share a chair with someone. Spent most of the day on Sacajawea with Medicine Bowl skiing well as always even without any fresh.

Wed headed over to Jackson. Snowed lightly most of the day but really just dust on crust - but pretty nice dust in a couple of spots, particularly ampitheatre. Bottom of runs like Gros Ventre pretty much just snowmaking and skiing like white concrete. I always find much of Jackson a tad challenging and always enjoy Targhee more - sacrilege to some I know!

Thur back at Targhee with 2 in fresh and sunshine. Lots of fun in trees off Lost Groomers, Shaman into Medicine Bowl and nice soft bumps between Headwall and Chief Joe Bowl. Great day skiing.

Fri back to Jackson - 1 in fresh on 4 in yesterday and a 'wintery mix' in town. Socked in all day and fair bit of wind. Really nice windblown up high in Ampitheatre and Laramie Bowl. Low down some nice soft bumps more reminiscent of oz skiing. Didn't see the point in queueing 45 mins for the tram just so I could feel my way down Rendezvous.

Targhee - off Lost Groomers
P2010435.JPG

Crazy Horse
P2010439.JPG

Shaman with Medicine Bowl behind
P2010445.JPG

Jackson - top of Ampitheatre
P2020452.JPG

Laramie Bowl
P2020457.JPG

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Forecast for next week in Utah and week after in Jackson when I'm there has me excited.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Over a foot at Jackson yesterday and half a foot at Snowbird with lots predicted for early next week.

Will be skiing Snowbird on Sunday :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass