1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2018 - 2019 Trip Plans / Thoughts / Reviews

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, May 25, 2018.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've let go of clinging to the hope of a last minute short March trip. Looking into that we didn't fancy battling the spring school holiday crowds, Breckenridge not being the most pleasant place to be when packed with packs of maniacal teens wanting to demonstrate what hotshots they are, on the green slopes. Besides the new arrival will be just 6 weeks old and being realistic GrandMa and GrandPa will be looking after the older two even more intensively than now and with OG1 about to retire we have to watch our pennies from now on and a seven week Europe trip next northern summer, including one of those oldtimers river cruises, is going to gouge a large hole in our discretionary spending. Probably it for ski vacations abroad then. Been great while they lasted (except when OG1 invited her much older Aspergic sister along too) and we shall have to make the most of the rest of the season here to get value from the Epic passes.

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@oldgeezer
    Regarding the Colorado spring break crowds. How bad are they? Are we talking all of March? Or are some weeks worse than others? Are some Epic resorts more crowded than others? I'd like to do a late February/early March Colorado trip but the idea of battling thousands of people doesn't fill me with joy. Maybe Ikon is a better option - that way Steamboat and Aspen come into play.

oldgeezer likes this.
  3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Steamboat and Aspen will be less crowded than Breckenridge, Keystone and Vail.

4. absentskier

Speaking of Aspen, if we wanted to go there for a couple of nights can anyone suggest some affordable (!) accommodation in the area? We'd have a car.
    As far as skiing is concerned, obviously Snowmass is a must. Where else should we spend a day primarily for mixed-ability upper-intermediate cruising?

5. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

For my first look at Aspen/Snowmass, my friend and I stayed at the Days Inn in Carbondale during late season. Not much traffic heading into Snowmass or Aspen at that time of year. During midseason, I stayed in Carbondale as well in a condo. Then it took a bit longer to make the drive because of morning rush hour. Still under an hour to Snowmass.

The cheapest lodging within driving distance is in Glenwood Springs. A friend didn't have a car and found the public bus a reasonable option. Carbondale or Basalt are other places to consider for less expensive lodging, either condos or motel room.

Will you already be acclimated to the altitude? With the free bus system, going to Buttermilk in the morning for a couple hours and then heading to Aspen Highlands before lunch is a reasonable combination. Highlands has a complete range of terrain from blue cruisers to long advanced/expert bump runs. But definitely not for experts only regardless of what you hear about the Highlands Bowl hike. Local families ski Highlands more than then other three Aspen Ski Co. mountains. Plenty of young kids on weekends.

Note that there is no way you will get to more than about a third of Snowmass in one day. Even just sticking to blues. To get from one side of the resort to the other takes almost an hour even going top speed and not making any wrong turns. Found that out one day when a ski buddy and I had to rush to catch the last gondola to meet up with the rest of our friends because we parked at Two Creeks. That lodge is where locals and regulars park. Has all services and the walk from the parking lot to the lift is much shorter than at the main base. Parking was free for 4+ in a car when we were there.

Are you at all interested in seeing the town of Aspen?

6. absentskier

Oh for sure we'd check out Aspen itself. Absolutely.

Might have a look at Basalt. Just that bit closer than Carbondale.

Cost is the issue. It's a big call to leave free accommodation and pay for it elsewhere!

7. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Ah is that why you can go so often!!!

8. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I chose Carbondale as the compromise between cost and distance when comparing lodging prices for Glenwood Springs, Carbondale, and Basalt. A quick look for mid-week nights next Jan says the situation remains the same as a few years ago. The extra drive time between Carbondale and Basalt is not really an issue. Plus Carbondale has more options for eating out for dinner if that's of interest. Definitely more condo/house options around Carbondale if you want to self-cater.

Parking at the big lot on the highway and using the free bus is the way to get into the town of Aspen without having to pay for garage or street parking.

9. absentskier

Yeah, couldn’t afford it otherwise.

10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

School districts in the US, being local, set their own spring breaks so it is not all schools all of March but all schools seem to have two weeks at some stage in March. Breckenridge on weekends is crazy with traffic jams and packs of nutters skiing recklessly through crowded green areas at high speed (why they don't do their showing off on the blacks escapes me). It is unlikely that March would be as bad as those weekends, but come Presidents' Week the quiet January into February period we like, nervous OG1 in particular, would not be there. At the ski fields within easy reach of Denver on I-70 anyway, i.e. Vail resorts covered by Epic. I went to Steamboat at the end of Feb into March once and it was tops but even so was difficult to find places to sit in the mid mountain restaurants sometimes. If we didn't have this big trip to Europe next Aug/Sep to be paid for from our retirement funds, and no pressing family care concerns, then we might have still thought oh well, as the traffic jam weekends still were not as bad as busy times in Oz in terms of numbers of people.

11. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I stayed in a one bedroom plus sofa(sleeps 4) apartment on Carriage Way in Snowmass. Ski in/out to the back door and hot tub! Didn't seem expensive. Was also there at spring break by coincidence. Wasn't that much busier, except on the weekend. Most of the spring breakers seemed to be divorced dads with their kids.

Definitely can use 3 days at Snowmass. We routinely planned to ski to a new part of the mountain and then along the way found ourselves re-lapping runs because they were so good. So we got around very "fast" and slow at the same time.

We also did a day at Aspen. The internal free bus service to the other resorts means we never used a car. Went shopping and to dinner at the lower end of Snowmass on the bus. There's good coffee (Fuel) at the top end of town that wasn't Starbucks.

absentskier likes this.
  12. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

How did you go looking at this as an option? I looked at maybe trying to get to Snowmass for my 10 days (and to ski the 7 days I would get on the IKON pass) and pricing was :eek:

Anyone got any accommodation options I should look at maybe for Aspen/Snowmass that might not break the bank over Xmas and New Year?

Also @absentskier - you have grabbed a hire car previously from Hayden yeah? Ever rent from Steamboat?

I still have NFI what I should be looking to do for that 10 days....

13. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

What are your dates and budget per night?

14. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

St Moritz Lodge in central Aspen for good cheap (by Aspen prices) accommodation and Aspen Highlands for the upper intermediate cruising.

15. absentskier

Haven’t looked too closely at Aspen Snowmass yet but it is clearly expensive. The exchange rate is starting to hurt.

I’ve rented cars from Hayden airport before. Also when the rental companies had offices in Steamboat, I rented there too.

Steamboat Motors rents cars but does not offer a loss damage waiver / liability waiver program. You’d need to source separate rental car liability reduction insurance to rent from them. Locals normally have rental car insurance included with their credit cards so it isn’t an issue for them.

skiflat likes this.
  16. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Dates are from 26th December through to the 5th of Jan (so I'm screwed as this is possibly the busiest/most expensive period to try and source accommodation).

Budget - as cheap as possible :D

17. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Actually my current thinking is to ditch any thought of a road trip and just try and base myself somewhere for those 10 nights.

Right now I was thinking of trying to get down to Aspen/Snowmass - ill take a financial hit but the pros are that I could ski for 7 days across the Aspen/Snowmass area and get to visit/experience Aspen etc.

The alternative is Utah - the main advantage I can see is I could over 10 days get some days in at Solitude, Brighton, Alta and Snowbird. So knock off 4 Utah resorts (only going to do IKON resorts - not going to spend any more on an already exorbitant lift spend). At the moment however I don't like the idea of basing myself somewhere on the edge of SLC and doing the daily commute up to X resort each day (bus or drive). Kinda do like the idea of basing myself somewhere to ski and right now on snow at Utah is not looking good ($$ and availability - think Snowmass could be easier).

Anybody want to give me any ideas or thoughts?

oldgeezer likes this.
  18. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've skied both at Christmas and had family in tow both times. Two very different ski experiences. Utah (well Alta and Brighton and Solitude) is more snow sure at that time (Snowbird gets just as much snow but the terrain is gnarlier so cover is harder to achieve). Snowmass is a great place to stay and was crowd free when I was there new year 16/17 - definitely more kid friendly. On average Snowmass would be 80% open most Christmas times and certainly they'd have a ton of blue groomers open.
    I personally don't mind the drive up the canyons in Utah (I normally stay in the city so about 40 minutes in the car). You can get cheaper decent accomodation in Midvale or Sandy which is closer to the ski areas.
    For ease and convenience Snowmass wins (and you get the whole Aspen experience - hike the bowl, check out the fur adorned locals) but the Cottonwood Canyon resorts in Utah get the most and best snow on average and have extremely varied terrain.
    Accomodation will most certainly be cheaper in Salt Lake than Aspen - by a fair bit.
    You can't go wrong either way.
    P.S You can't get another week off and do both? If so do Utah first and stop in at Arches National Park on the drive over to Aspen.

19. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

How many peeps?

20. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Pretty sure I stayed at Aspenwoods Condos. You could get me for $580/night for 4 peeps. Mine cost me about $200 per night 6 years ago in March.

Stonebridge inn is well located and priced at $480/night for 4 peeps.

21. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

22. Nick.

Nick. Hard Yards

Does anyone know if you can link your epic Australia pass to EpicMix

23. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

No. You get a new pass when you get to the USA.

24. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Some lovely shots from Aspen this morning

skiflat likes this.
  25. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

26. absentskier

@Scooter how are your plans coming along?

27. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

Aspen Mountain to open early next weekend (Saturday Nov 17). Previously the scheduled opening was Thursday Nov 22.
    Bell Mountain and Little Nell will definitely be open - hoping for a storm tomorrow to bring enough to open top to bottom as well as the Ajax Express (the upper most high speed quad where most of the skiing public cruise)
    Little Nell and Bell Mountain chairs are rarely operated once the gondola can serve top to bottom.
    Oddly the bottom portion with snowmaking is guaranteed to open, it is the top section without snowmaking that is in doubt.

Tuesday Nov 13, confirmed top to bottom on Aspen Mountain.

#77 Brimmo, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  28. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @absentskier - sorted but the dramas!! Do you really want to hear them LOL

There were only really a few options on the table - probably missed an opportunity to do something else but I guess one of my biggest issues was being forced into dates that weren't of my choosing - I would have loved to head up to JH and do 7-10 days - just not over the Xmas/New Year holidays!!! (biggest issue was cost - crazy!!). Anyway, lets just say I have taken the easiest/cheapest option and booked a week down at the Steamboat Hotel down on the highway - not very adventurous and as I said probably a missed opportunity but anyway........ :oops:

I think I started off with requiring 10 nights so started looking at options accordingly - had a couple of options that could have worked (Aspen/Snowmass) but then the issue was because its over Xmas/New Year they wanted only book the entire period (I.e. needed to book more dates). Then it turns out the family of my owner weren't staying the 10 nights (so glad I never committed) and was only 7 which was great because it reduced cost and 1 week was easier so we start again. I really liked the idea of Aspen/Snowmass I could sort of justify the cost but yeah - that time of year is expensive.

The only other destination resort I really wanted to visit and spent time looking at was JH but just more problematic to get to etc. (and limited accommodation options) so then started looking at SLC (with the aim being to hit a few of the IKON resorts). Spent a bit of time researching (making a spread sheet with availability and costs/locations etc. and doing emails etc.) and whilst it wasn't ideal it was doable then the other half threw Aspen/Snowmass back in the mix......Arghhhhhh!!!!

Anyway, road trips etc. were ruled out due to the kids (absolutely no interest doing Canyons etc. from my daughter) and it was all getting to hard so I just said bugger it - and booked a cheap (well 'ish) option in Steamboat for the week. Even that was problematic - over the years I have almost stayed at the Rockies on a couple of occasions so really wanted to stay there for the week to check it out (and its an easy walk to the slopes) but at the end of the day I just couldn't justify it - way too expensive for what it would have been so instead we are slumming it down on the highway and in the studio room for the week so with kids in tow lets hope we all survive the experience :D

In fact the whole exercise has left me somewhat jaded. Was unfortunate a couple of options that might have suited for the entire stay (or even the short stay) with contacts I had weren't available but oh my god - some prices for say that week or 10 days over Xmas/New Year are ridiculous. I thought sites like Airbnb were about renting a room or your place when you weren't using it (and get a few $ for your efforts) but it just seems like most of the listings were all about maximising the $$ Its crazy that I could grab a long term rental where I normally stay for $1900 a month (obviously for the entire season) but other owners in the same building are trying for $4k for a week.

Anyway, as I said it was never going to be ideal looking over Xmas /New Year and if it was me I would never chose to travel at that time (infact normally would miss a couple of days at least over that period as the lifts can be so crazy busy) but I think next time I look at longer term I might try to convince the other half to do the full season - maybe sans kids so a few years off ;)

How about yourself - what did you end up organising?

29. absentskier

Not leaving Steamboat. Just can't afford it.

30. Bendzeeknees

Bendzeeknees Hard Yards

Heading to Vail - if can find reasonably priced accomodation. Ouch! Any great 3 bedroom condos anyone know of? :)

31. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Minturn

Summit likes this.
  32. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

You're very lucky!

absentskier likes this.
  33. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

34. absentskier

35. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Of course. I went last season. Looking like I won’t this season. You’re welcome.

36. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Likewise.

Booked Japan instead. Hakuba have delayed the season opening! FML

chicski likes this.
  37. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

#87 Brimmo, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  38. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

So 38 in Brissy today.......but I prefer the fresh pow :D

Left Thursday with a 11.15am AirNZ flight and it wasn't a good start getting to the airport before 9am only to see flight delayed till 12.45pm. Whilst the extra waiting was a pain (knowing we had a 4Hr wait in Denver) of more concern was the connections and sure enough it was an issue. There were a couple of connecting flights out of AKL and our LAX flight was basically already closed when we disembarked. Of course whilst the plane was at the next gate you have to walk all the way to the other end of the airport to do the transfer screening (never understood why??) and of course the line has people waiting for flights that are a 2 hour wait as well as all of us whose flights were waiting - certainly could have been better organised but they held the plane as I'm guessing the cost to reschedule and accommodate all of us that would have missed it would have been a bit. Just to delay me a bit more my boarding pass was marked with SSSS so they dragged the kids off to be questioned and I had to do a more thorough screening (all whilst my plane was waiting).

Flight to LAX was as expected (long!!!) but what was with the dude dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow? Down in economy with the rest of us plebs and he was in full on pirate gear - don't see that every day.

Of course the delayed AKL flight cut into my transfer buffer in LAX which was an issue as it took ages to clear customs and immigration. Not quite sure why they have the automated processing and then were throwing most people back into the main queues (I guess if the ticket is marked with an X) but anyway - I think ours was because my daughter had issues doing the finger printing but another tip is don't let your kids use the toilet before joining the line - I wasn't happy seeing hundreds walk past me whilst I'm sitting waiting for them :mad:

I hate working up a sweat whilst travelling (like running across AKL airport trying to make a waiting flight) so if it wasn't bad enough that I was stressed and sweating leaving AKL followed by 12 hours cooped up in Economy we had to run from Tom Bradley to Terminal 7 to try and make our Denver flight. Much to my surprise no security queue (YAY!!) but without realising it my AirNZ issued United flight boarding pass also had SSSS so of course issues - after 2 TSA people checking it out they have to call in a supervisor who goes on a bout a "quad" and then basically says its going to be a big pain in the arse for me with the extra screening just go and print another boarding pass - 5 mins later through (quick reprint and then through the empty security)only to have the Denver flight delayed.

Not such an issue as we had a 4 hour wait in DIA for our shuttle but finally got to Denver then on our 9PM shuttle for a 1am arrival in Steamboat.

39. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Was it worth it?

40. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Shuttle driver reckoned Steamboat had had 8" whilst we had been in transit and whilst coming up over Rabbit Ears pass was snowy coming down the pass it looked like whatever they had had was warm.

Our first day in Steamboat was sorting gear with a season Tele setup sorted for the boy easily but my 1,2 and 3 options for a season Snowboard setup for my daughter all saying no gear available. Not great so decided to go try the actual ski hill option whilst I grabbed our season passes and surprisingly they were happy to help and whilst comparatively expensive by that stage I was willing to pay but the bonus was the young lass who rung it up gave me an employee discount so brought the price back to what I would have paid at a couple of the other options so win :thumbs:

Little fella was keen to have a few runs so we just did some runs from Christi - snowed all day but was warmish and it showed lower mountain - pretty slick and icy in the high traffic areas. I wasn't that rusty but the little fella was (my daughter didn't come out) but it was just good to be back out on the slopes. Venturing off a bit proved there was actually a bit of snow and it rode great so the mountain is in pretty great shape for early season. The evening was spent doing an initial shop and whilst the previous evening was warm not so this night - was cold and very slick.

Hit the slopes today proper and for my daughter is wasn't great - slow (guess first day) but she complained about her feet - after a couple of adjustments just decided it was easier for her to head home as she wasn't happy. She lasted an hour but me and the little fella headed out for a few hours afterwards and boy - for the 1st of December the snow conditions are great - Had plenty of face shots so Brissy - you can keep your 38 I would rather be skiing pow :D

We did runs that rode as good as prime season (like a couple of laps under the Priest Creek lift line a great line under Storm) but heading lower mountain even with the fresh those high traffic areas aren't that great but as I said for the 1st of December you cant complain :thumbs:

41. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

In a word - YES :D

42. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I'm feeling sad Scooter. Where are the pics???

43. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

R u ok?

44. absentskier

Long journey but worth it! Have fun. And no injuries.

45. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Another year of no snow :(

46. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Could be worse. I had a year of no snow in Utah and Cali last January. Now looking at a year of no snow in hakuba this coming January.

47. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Ouchies that would be really bad. ONe month to go for Hakuba. It can change very quickly! looking forward to seeing how you did it if you're doing a trip blog?

Where did you go in Utah? That dry winter carried into the summer. We rafted the Green River, which was the lowest in decades and the Colorado before joining with the Green was even lower.

48. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Stayed in canyons Jan 1-12. Skied it and park city. Park city co dropped the ball last year and started making snow too late for the Christmas crowd. They copped a lot on social media and around town.

Then we drove through all those Utah national parks and headed to Tahoe. Tahoe had been really proactive making snow at least but Heavenly wasn't as good as our last trip and northstar was a disaster. Bottom 3rd of Northstar was farmed snow from up top, middle third all man made, top third natural but poor quality. Northstar village was a ghost town.

49. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Was 11 degrees today and forecast 16 tomorrow in hakuba!!!

It's raining through till Thursday and then the snow starts. 50cm forecast Friday-Sunday.

50. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Definitely my favourite ski video ever. Who wants to go to Utah with me next March?