1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2019-2020 ramblings/plans/reports

Discussion in 'United States' started by mx_boarder, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So, as well as the "regular" domestic skiing at Whistler and the Vancouver town mountains in season 19-20, it now turns out I am going to Aspen for the first time in Feb 20. First time back to Colorado in a very long time (actually, I'm ashamed to say, the first time skiing somewhere other than Whistler and Niseko for a very long time). I've previously skied Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, A Basin, Copper Mountain and Steamboat, so Aspen will be a whole new adventure.

Some friends who ski there regularly prevailed on me to "pop down" for the week, and join a bunch of other friends from Melbourne and Brisbane. It will be great fun with a great crew!

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'll be there at March 1. Bring it on.

Chalkie likes this.
  3. Shredderman

Shredderman Addicted

Its popular for good reason, Aspen mountain,Highlands and Snowmass are great hills with so much fun and challenging terrain. Service everywhere is terrific, surprisingly well priced and overall a great town IMO. We are going back in January for the first time in 7 years. Can't wait!

4. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That's great to hear. I don't really know anything about Aspen and the surrounds!

5. ski

ski Hard Yards

Hello

We (me, my partner and miss 13) are going to Park City this year from Dec 25 to Jan 23rd.

I'm looking for a ski buddy as my family will be deserting me due to my inability to do double black diamonds at high speed!

If anyone loves to ride blues and the occasional black and really enjoys laughing and hot chocolates let me know if you'd like to join me. Or, if you know any good forums where I might be able to find like minded skiers to ski with - please can you point me in the right direction. Ski school is not an option due to lack of money!

Thanks

6. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Can't help too much with Park City since I get MCP/Ikon instead of an Epic pass. Alta is my favorite in Utah.

Found a useful article about Park City on SkiUtah about a free mountain tour. I have a friend who sometimes takes the free mountain tour more than once when she is on a solo trip. She's an intermediate who only started exploring skiing out west a few years ago.

https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/erika/how-to-navigate-park-city-mountain

7. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

First US ski trip for me in 2020 Dad has been before to Lake Tahoe I think. Have done lots of research but want to see what the brains trust think as there are so many resorts.

Background
    • Maybe late Feb, Maybe March/April (working around Japan trip in early Feb)
    • Have no MCP/IKON etc so not tied
    • We don’t care about Apres or other things to do in resort
    • Dad is flying from London, Me from Brisbane.
    • Probably 7-10 days trip with long-flights for us so don’t want to travel too much around US but will do extra travel if its worth it
    • Both advanced but not expert skiers and dad is 70 so not into crazy chutes, hucking off cliffs etc
    • Would consider driving to different resorts but preference is generally on-snow or close to accom so can do 1st to last lift then collapse rather than drive. However this is flexible.
    Resorts we enjoyed around the world
    • Les Arcs/La Plagne 400kms. Lots of long Reds and Blacks.
    • Tignes/Val D 300Kms. Can avoid queues if you know where
    • Serre chevalier 250kms of piste and really quiet
    • Saalbach 250Kms of piste, quiet, efficient lifts
    • Shiga Kogen Can travel multiple valleys, quiet, lots of reds and easy access offpiste
    • Kicking Horse Quiet, awesome amount of terrain, on-slope accom
    Essential
    • Least lift lines or options to avoid bottlenecks are much better than Popular/Well know resorts – I would travel more to get this
    • We like mileage and love skiing first to last lift. We generally target resorts with lots of varied terrain. Happy to fly down Blue/Red/Black and double blacks but not tight chutes/cliffs as dad is 70. Moguls fine but wouldn’t do too many to save our knees
    • Dad doesn't do much offpiste these days so not such a priority on this trip :(
    Not asking for much What resorts would people recommend?

8. Sbooker

If March/April Aspen/Snowmass would offer heaps to go at with no crowds. Fly direct to Aspen. Stay at Snowmass.
    South Lake Tahoe (fly to Reno) would offer Heavenly and Kirkwood.
    Flying into Vancouver and skiing Whistler has to be mentioned - particularly if you like mileage.
    Might also be worth looking into flying into Bozeman and skiing Big Sky.
    Of course flying to Denver and staying at Frisco/Dillon/Breckenridge and skiing Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek, A Basin, Copper and Loveland would be fun but may involve a few more crowds.
    It’s the story of my life - so many ski hills .........so little time.

9. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

These were definitely options I was looking into so good to hear I’m on the right lines. Big Sky looks great but weighing up the extra travel Whistler will be another time. I did the powder highway last year in canada and will be back in 2021/22 to do whistler.

10. MarzNC

Much depends on the timing. By early April the most reliable destinations are Alta/Snowbird and Bachelor. In March, there are destination resorts that get a bit crowded during the weeks that are when many colleges and some high schools have spring break. An example, although I wouldn't recommend it for your list, is Taos. The first half of March there are lots of people connected to Texas schools headed to Taos. By late March, the snow conditions are iffy.

Some destination resorts close the first weekend of April because their guest numbers decline regardless of the depth of the snow pack.

My annual late season trip in April is to Alta Lodge. I meet up with friends, including a few who are over 70 or 80. They love the groomers off Supreme. That's an area where it's very easy for a mixed-ability group to ride up together and then ski on different terrain and meet up midway or at the base of the lift. Even though I've skied at all the MCP destination resorts in the last decade (over 50, advanced), Alta remains my favorite.

Bachelor in Oregon is rather unique because it's one huge mountain. However, no slopeside lodging at all. Can either stay in Bend or at the Sun River resort area. Both are 20-25 min drive on flat road. Be fun for 5-7 days but not for an entire trip flying across on ocean. Never any lift lines, but can have low visibility at times. Stays open well into May.

When considering Big Sky, also look at Bridger as a warm up. For Bridger, stay in Bozeman. Bridger is unusual because it's a non-profit with low cost lift tickets but it's quite large. 2000 acres overall with everything for never-ever skiers to experts and plenty of options in between. Bozeman is a university town. Lodging at Big Sky ranges from upscale slopeslide hotel rooms to very reasonable condos that are a 10-min drive away. Can find long groomers in 4 sections, each big enough to spend an entire day without getting bored.

I haven't been to Whistler. But since I live on the east coast of the U.S. am more interested in flying over the Atlantic to ski in Europe than to Vancouver.

Gregah, ponyrider and LDJ like this.
  11. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

All of this says Big Sky.
    Huge area, no crowds, lots of intermediate and advanced terrain (also some serious stuff).
    Also do Bridger Bowl for a day or two.

[​IMG]

MarzNC and LDJ like this.
  12. MarzNC

My friend's Big Sky trip report from Feb 2019 is a good introduction for intermediates who are mostly skiing groomers but also interested in venturing to ungroomed trails with mellow pitches and small bumps. I was at Big Sky with my friend Bill around the same time. It was our third trip to Big Sky, the first since Moonlight and Spanish Peaks were incorporated into the Big Sky lift ticket. I overlapped with dbostedo during his first few days exploring Big Sky for the first time. Led him and other older advanced intermediates a couple times to the mellow terrain on the back of Andesite and at Moonlight Basin.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/big-sky-gathering-big-time-fun.14519/

For an idea of what advanced/experts like to ski at Big Sky, here's the general trip report from the rest of the Pugski Gathering attendees that week.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/big-sky-gathering-trip-report.14285/

I didn't take many pictures at Bridger that trip. We had fresh fluffy powder that was far too much fun to stop for pictures. There are often storm cycles when Bridger gets more snow than Big Sky, and can be drier snow as well.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-bridger-bowl-in-mt-feb-2019.24038/

LDJ likes this.
  13. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

What’s the US like generally for last minute accom and flights? Ie if I book the Brisbane to LA flight and then decide on exact resort based on snow 2-7 days before is that doable? Likely to be late Feb/March/April but not during holiday times.

14. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Will be fine.
    Accom choice of course will be a little more limited but you will certainly find something in your budget.

I am hoping to get over but cant commit until late though think Im pretty safe for a bed.

15. Sbooker

From experience you should be fine. Obviously if you have very specific requirements things get more difficult but if it's a clean room with a comfy bed and good breakfast you'll find heaps of options.

16. MarzNC

Lodging won't be much of an issue.

U.S. domestic plane fares are usually better at least two weeks before departure date. Have known people to book Southwest flights in order to having something in place. There is usually an annual sale that covers Jan-Mar in early Oct. Only airline that allows changes without a fee. Just pay the difference in price, if any. Also two free checked bags.

Are you planning on car rental(s)?

17. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

thanks that’s really useful for planning. Car rental is very likely unless we decide to do 1 destination close to an airport ie Big Sky and stay on snow

18. MarzNC

Big Sky is a destination resort where I much prefer to rent a car. Rates are pretty reasonable at the Bozeman airport. The drive is mostly flat and not on mountain road. But AWD is still a better idea. A friend got a small 2WD car and just barely made it into the parking lot at the main base because she and her friends arrived during a snow cycle. Far easier to have a car if interested in eating out at least half the time. There are a few good places for dinner at the main base but not enough variety for an entire week. Meadow Village has several really good restaurants and there are a few others in the valley if willing to drive another 5 miles.

The Bozeman airport is relatively small. Was expanded and renovated several years ago. One long building with the car rental parking lot right next to the end of the building.

Since I'm retired and have the time, and a friend willing to do long drives, my last two trips to Big Sky started by flying into SLC. Meant that a stop in Driggs overnight to ski Grand Targhee was possible. Last season we then stayed in Bozeman for a few nights to ski Bridger. Finished with a week at Big Sky in a very nice condo in Meadow Village. Had 3 floors (and an elevator!), plus a 2-car heated garage and the drive to the base was 10-15 min. Lots of VRBO condo options around Big Sky in addition to resort lodging. Main advantage of resort lodging are discounts on lift tickets if don't have MCP or Ikon passes.

Unless I'm staying at Alta, I prefer to have a car in SLC too. Usually ski more than one place if staying in the city. The UTA Ski Bus is a nice backup option if chains are required because of snowy roads up the canyons. But for the trips when I've stayed in the city, that's never been needed. Those were trips with 2-3 adult friends, no kids.

Townsend and LDJ like this.
  19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

20. absentskier

Most obvious place missing is Grand Targhee.

21. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Bookings must be light to us

Keep getting cheap flight emails

22. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

Not surprising really. the aud and a few question marks over the economy must be putting a few off.

23. MarzNC

For those headed to SLC and planning on skiing Solitude, be prepared to pay for parking. The goal is to get people to carpool but even a car with 4 people will be charged US$5. I'll probably find out how well it's working in Feb when I'm staying in SLC for a week. Getting into Honeycomb Canyon is on the list for using Ikon.

On the plus side for travelers, Ikon passes are going be accepted on UTA buses according to the Solitude website.

EDIT: more details about the parking system:
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/09/17/bold-move-get-skiers-out/

#73 MarzNC, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  24. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just booked SLC flights for Xmas in Park City

TOFF likes this.
  25. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Using your Hotham epic pass?

26. CarveMan

Not that I’d get one, but doubt it would work over blackout dates in the states.

There’s a product called Epic Day Pass that we will get, load 6 or 7 days and that will do. Will cost about $110USD/Day but that’s what you get for going to a premium place in high season. Rest of the trip will cost f-all.

27. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think you can upgrade - my bog standard Perisher one to work on the black out days in the states.

Hopefully there is some snow at PC

28. absentskier

Do you get 50% off day tickets at Mountain Collective resorts?

29. CarveMan

I’m not sure, I’ll need to check but I’m assuming not because I get an industry deal on my Buller pass.

But my friend’s house is a short walk from a PC lift and with the Xmas crowds etc I’m not sure how much we will get around.

30. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

have locked in dates of week of March 23rd or 30th. Based on the above and dates we are thinking Big Sky/Bridger or Telluride are our preferences. Would snow still be good enough then? Any issues with resorts/dates? Might also look Snowbird/Alta but if my wife comes (advanced boarder) Alta is out.

31. MarzNC

Looking at Tony Crocker's ratings for spring skiing, Telluride is a better idea than Big Sky. Snowbird is great for late season skiing/boarding well into May. In late March, Solitude will still be open as well as Brighton. Of course if there is a warm spell, won't be much reason to get onto the slopes early.

http://www.bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm

LDJ likes this.
  32. Zeroz

1. Check to see the dates of 2020 Spring break. I went to Telluride in 2017, late March for a week of skiing.
    One week was fully booked with Spring breakers, next week was empty

2. Fun Telluride activity is the 10 Pack 'lesson' pass (they just doubled the price to $600). Only available to Oct 11.
    Two sessions when I was there: 8.30-11am and 11-4 pm. Can do both in a day if you're up to it.

Rock up to the base and stand in next to a sign from level 3 to 8, depending on how good you think you are.
    Level 8 is dub/trip blacks and Gold Hill chutes. No slacking off. Not a lesson.
    Lower levels are more sedate but you'll get a lot of skiing in. My teens loved the 11am sessions.

https://shop.tellurideskiresort.com/#/adult-lessons/p/10-pack-lesson-pass

Gregah, MarzNC and LDJ like this.
  33. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

It seems like March until 17th April seems to all be spring break somewhere. Any ideas on how to narrow done which weeks are bad?

34. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Really like this tool thanks. Very useful as a quick snapshot of lots of resorts.

MarzNC likes this.
  35. MarzNC

For NM and southern Colorado, check the spring break dates for K-12 schools and colleges in Texas and Colorado. U.S. colleges tend to have spring break in the first half of March. That's one reason Taos gets busy for a couple weeks and then is quite empty until it closes in late March or early April. Most large ski resorts in the Rockies plan to close in early April not because there isn't enough snow, but because there aren't enough paying customers. One way to tell when they are busy is to check resort lodging rates. Usually 1-2 weeks are "high season" rates and then there are "late season" or "spring season" rates for the last few weeks.

The week before or after Easter, April 12, 2020, is spring break for some American K-12 schools. One reason I'll be at Alta Lodge the week of April 12 is that my friend is taking her kids for a fourth spring break ski vacation that week. It's the last year her two kids will be in the same school for a while.

In general, spring break weeks aren't nearly as bad as the Christmas/New Year's weeks in terms of crowds. More resorts are 100% open so people are distributed all over, instead of being concentrated on a few trails. The harder a resort is to reach, in terms of distance from a major airport, the less likely there will be a problem with lift lines. Sometimes Saturdays are busy because locals with season passes are on the slopes then. But Sun-Fri is fine. Of course, if it's a deep powder day . . .

36. MarzNC

How did you get that link? I can't find how to get to it from the Telluride website. Quite an interesting idea, especially for teens ages 15-17. Can the sessions be done by more than one person?

I remember noticing that the lesson group flags included Green, Double Green, Blue, Double Blue, Black, and Double-Black.

37. Zeroz

Not sure of the admin for the 10 Pack pass. We spent a month in Telluride so we all had a season pass,
    and the 10 Pack was added to that. Season passes are linked to a person.

Mate of mine has skied Telluride for 5 years in a row (I like Telluride but not that much). Expert skier and does multiple 10 packs, always in L8 group, usually run by a instructor named CT.

CT is a L4/PSIA examiner/whatever, great guy, focuses on testing terrain. Low tolerance if you don't keep up in L8.
    My mate gets people to ski with, ski time is maximized, in challenging areas. We all need a push sometimes.

#87 Zeroz, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  38. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Will be in Salt Lake City 26 Jan - 1 Feb. Will be taking skis :)

39. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Decided to book flights Brisbane to Bozeman via LAX to ski Big Sky 19/3 - 29/3. If the snows bad will change the last leg from LAX to SLC or other. Pumped about doing Big Sky. Thanks for all the info so far

Zeroz likes this.
  40. MarzNC

I think the chance that you'll need to change destinations is slim. I know an instructor at Big Sky. What she told someone last year who was thinking of a March trip was that since Big Sky has terrain facing all aspects in terms of where the sun hits, there are always places that have good snow. Big Sky is also less likely to have the feast or famine situation, as is more common for Tahoe.

Any interest in trails to explore the first couple days? Or too soon for that level of detail? :)

41. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

hell year all info is awesome. I have normally memorised the piste maps and names of runs/offpiste etc before I get there if possible. Research on best areas, sneaky quiet spots or good food is always great. At this time ie mid/late March would it still be worth doing a day at Bridger or too late in season. Just working if we look at accom are big sky for the whole period or do a day in Bozeman as well. Dad is 70 and doesn’t like packing up and moving unless it’s really worth it. Re: accommodation any of the satellite areas better than others?

42. MarzNC

How about you start a thread about Big Sky and Bridger? I have lots of notes from my last trip in Feb 2019, plus impressions from my trips in 2012 and 2013. It was clear after the first trip that Big Sky was on my personal list for return visits. Not every year like Alta, but perhaps every 3-4 years.

43. MarzNC

Not sure how many people would be interested, but the new Indy Pass has several locations in the Pacific Northwest, plus Apex in BC and Castle in Alberta. Three locations are day trips from Seattle. The idea is that for US$199 an Indy Pass provides two days at each ski area and 25% discount for additional days. It's designed for locals who are curious to try a new hill or who know they aren't going to ski more than 5-6 days. There are 44 locations as of early Oct 2019 but most are in the midwest or well east and north of Atlanta.

https://www.indyskipass.com/resorts#western

OpenSnow interactive map of Indy Pass locations, Oct. 2, 2019

44. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Arrgh, my hoped-for Feb Colorado trip is getting slammed by competing interests (work, wife's travel that has seemingly-come-out-of-nowhere-hmmmmm, even the Melb Grand Prix). Now I'm contemplating a week out of a four week work trip mid-March to mid-April. Obviously it would be better to lob into Keystone (preferred option) earlier rather than later, but any comments what conditions to expect if I arrived as late as 3 April?

45. Sbooker

That absolutely makes sense for someone that wants to road trip British Columbia and the resorts just over the boarder. For US$199 you get two days each at Apex, Silver and 49 Degrees North which makes heaps of financial sense. If you going a bit further to take in Fernie then Castle comes into play. That's eight days for $199. Obviously you could fill in the gaps with day tickets to the other hills.

MarzNC likes this.
  46. absentskier

No one knows what the conditions are going to be like in April 2020. Could be great or rubbish, so if you can leave it really late to plan, that would be best.

That said, there's other places that statistically have a better chance of good cover in April than Keystone. Although Keystone has a reasonable amount of north facing slopes, it typically gets a lot less snow than other areas in Co and Utah. Snowbird and Alta would be better bets. Depending on where you'll be for your work trip, there will be other options too.

ponyrider likes this.
  47. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Big trip this year, given I’ve taken a year off work to get fit and healthy after a bit of a shocker for the past two years.

Off to Bend Oregon to do a ski building course with these guys.
    http://www.communityskis.com/diy-custom-ski-workshop.php

Then a few days on the local hills trying them out,
    Drive back to Everett Washington to visit the Boeing factory.
    This is the ultimate nerd trip.
    Australia Day head off to Steamboat for three weeks intensive mucking around on skis in and out of resort.
    Then off to Calgary.
    Start of the real fun. My better half joins me.

Head off for a week at Panorama, followed by seven days skiing back country powder mechanically assisted.

Finish off with a week at lake Louise and sadly, that is it

If I survive

Sbooker and whether like this.
  48. MarzNC

That looks like such a cool way to get a custom pair of skis!

Do you have any extra time in Portland? When a friend who lives in southern Oregon bought a pair of ON3P skis, he had a great time doing a factory tour. Looks like anyone can put in a tour request on the ON3P website.

https://shop.on3pskis.com/pages/factory-tour

Have you skied Bachelor before? The new trail map by James Neihues is much easier to understand than the old approach that split the single mountain into four overlapping quadrants.

49. MarzNC

The biggest difference for Epic passholders in the Denver area next spring is the fact that A-Basin is no longer on Epic. A-Basin moved to Ikon/MCP during the off-season. It always has a long season, and has added terrain in recent years. In response, VR is adding snowmaking in order to keep Keystone and Breck open longer. Presumably by shoring up the lower mountain trails to provide better access to snow remaining on the upper mountain. I haven't ever skied either place.

Easter is April 12, 2020. Destination resorts that can stay open the week before Easter will do so to get the spring break family guests. Alta is staying open with 7-day operations until April 19 because Easter is relatively late. The week after Easter is also a spring break week. But Alta never closes in April because of lack of snow. Snowbird will undoubtedly stay open into May, at least for weekends. My late season trip meeting up with friends is always at Alta.

ponyrider likes this.
  50. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I will do that. Plenty of time to just wander around doing interesting things.
    Never skied Bachelor before, however that is where we’re going to test out the skis.
    Making two pair, one for myself and one for Sarah. Taking over enough figured myrtle burl veneer and Figured Huon Pyne veneer to make up the top sheets. I have the template to design them before I go.
    Any other interesting things I should do on the trip ?