1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2019-2020 ramblings/plans/reports

Discussion in 'United States' started by mx_boarder, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

By picking up Peak Resorts, VR locations are on the early openings list for New England. That may well sell more Epic passes going forward. Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Keystone started snowmaking this week.

The dates below came from SeniorsSkiing. Regular media outlets in Colorado didn't have any dates in articles about the start of snowmaking. In the past 40 years, the first to open was either Loveland, Keystone, or A-Basin. Keystone was out of the race when A-Basin put in snowmaking in 2002.

Mt. Rose, NV: 10/20/19
    Wolf Creek, CO: 10/13/19
    Arapahoe Basin, CO: 10/20/19
    Loveland, CO: 10/20/19
    Keystone, CO: Oct TDB

Wild Mountain, MN: 10/20/19 (an hour drive north of Minn./St. Paul)

Killington, VT: 10/19/19
    Mt. Snow, VT: 10/20/19
    Wildcat, NH: 10/27/19
    Sunday River, ME: 10/19/19

2. MarzNC

Looking forward to pics of the finished skis!

The place that impressed me most during summer visits to Portland was the Rose Test Garden, but of course nothing blooming during the winter.

The historic Timberline Lodge is well worth a visit. It's unique. Completely built by locals as a U.S. government project in the 1930s. Not just the structure, but even the furnishings, rugs, and window dressing. The ground floor is open to the public during the day and has museum-type exhibits. Still owned by the U.S. National Park Service but has been operated by the same family who saved it from ruin decades ago. The views looking south from Mt. Hood are great too. Much better than from neighboring Mt. Hood Meadows.

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/about-us/history

3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

4. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @absentskier - you counting down the days?

I jumped on the net this morning to check some Steamboat stuff due to those early season falls and saw a comment about A-Basin opening soon so thought I would check their cams and lo and behold - they have taken the prize for 1st opening again!!

[​IMG]

They opened for 2 hours today (Friday PM) just to get the jump on the competition and start with proper hours tomorrow (Sat in the US) as per your Keystone post (and a couple of others I assume) :D

skiflat likes this.
  5. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

6. absentskier

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I bought our Epic Day passes a few days ago, just went for 6 days skiing, as I will be there over Xmas it's not terribly cheap but should be fun. Gives us the option to have a couple of days skiing non-Epic resorts but given my friends live a hundred metres from a PC lift it makes sense to do the majority of our skiing there.

8. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

So Just mucking about on the web this morning and thought I would check the Keystone webcams and was thinking how good is the Lakeside cam (check them out https://www.keystoneresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx ) and when I noticed you could timelapse it thought I would share - worth checking out I reckon :thumbs: (doesnt look like the embed clip is HD so copy the video URL and paste it into a new window to view it in HD - or check it out at the at the link or via the Keystone website linked above).

Jacko4650 likes this.
  9. MarzNC

I'm having a good time with the video cam links on OpenSnow. Well worth the annual fee now that I've figured out how to get Favorites set up. Since my travel plans include resorts in different regions, it's fun to follow all of them in one place. The camera icon starts a time-lapse view.

Not going to Big Sky again this season, but will return so curious to watch the mountain turn white. It snowed a few inches last night.

LDJ likes this.
  10. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @MarzNC - Yeah I have checked out the opensnow time-lapses when they do the "free" access weeks etc. They are just the static images compiled into the time-lapse / vid so depending on the source images can be a bit so so - If you have a quality image then you get some amazing results. I keep meaning to write something to do something similar for a couple of webcams I like - i.e. scrape the webpage for the image and save then compile them. Its great when the source site provides inbuilt functionality like that Keystone one I linked above does.

A couple of cams I love are the Banff Sulfer mountain one (as per below snapped just before)
    [​IMG]
    And I do love that Zermatt Findeln cam (this was a so/so grab but some when blanketed in snow are magic)
    [​IMG]

Of course these days live cams are great - I've had the Steamboat Gondola Square one (its on your pic of the cams from opensnow) running on my second monitor for the last hour (great that it doesnt time out after a a few mins as well) so I have been watching it snowiing in Steamboat for all that time (and its a decent 1080 feed) :D

11. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

Jacko4650 and Gregah like this.
  12. MarzNC

What's even more fun are the cameras that you can control for a short period. I like to play with the Taos webcams. There are 7 view options for the Base Cam. Seem to have added a zoom function for 2019-20 (vertical slider with orange box).

Snowguns are on at the base given the forecast for cold weather

Attached Files:

13. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Yeah, some cool tech deployed. Steamboats cams all used to be controllable (pan and zoom - was time limited if others also wanted control etc.) but a couple of years ago they removed it. A couple of them they enabled fixed pans but this season it doesn't look like they have enabled that but given they actually have cams that they used to be published that are now no longer displayed on the web page but available if you know the URL who know what their strategy is with the cams :confused:

One of the the Telluride town ones (which was live and great) used to be as you are saying the Taos is in that it offered 6 or 7 "views" (would pan and zoom to that view on selection) but I notice that it seems that has been removed from the UI and they are using the same UI as the Keystone cam I linked above was using (i.e. cool timelapse and slicker interface but reduced functionality).

Anyway, lots of options :D

Where is your first resort for season 2019/2020?

14. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

15. MarzNC

You probably won't have heard of the first one . . . going to ski with friends at my home mountain, Massanutten, in January. About 2.5 drive west of Washington DC. They have kids still in school. Oddly enough, there is an inch of snow predicted for later this week!

In Feb I'll be at Taos for another Ski Week, then about a week in SLC, and finishing with a few days at Steamboat. Trying to make good use of Full Ikon, plus an Alta Mid-week pass since I'll be at Alta Lodge the last two weeks of the 7-day season. My ski buddy who lives in NM and provides the SUV has Full Ikon and a Taos Senior Pass.

Sounds like the flip side of being more popular is that too many people want to play with the webcams. Last season I never saw more than 100 people viewing the Taos webcams, usually only 40-50. Wait for control was rarely more than 2-3 people.

#115 MarzNC, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  16. MarzNC

Since VR and Alterra put a lot of emphasis on early opening dates, I decided to compile the list of openings before the American Thanksgiving week. The holiday is relatively late, Nov. 28, so most of the Ikon or Epic resorts will be open by Nov. 23. The Ikon partners, Boyne Resorts and POWDR, have early openings in more than one region. Both Boyne and POWDR have important Ikon locations in the U.S. northeast or midwest in terms of competing with the "urban" VR locations.

EARLY SEASON OPENINGS 2019-20 FOR IKON/MCP OR EPIC

Opened Oct. 11: Arapahoe Basin, CO - Ikon/MCP
    Opened Oct. 12: Keystone, CO - Epic

Announced opening dates before Nov. 17 - as of Oct. 31, 2019
    Nov. 1: Eldora, CO - Ikon, owned by POWDR
    Nov. 1: Mt. Norquay, Canada - Ikon, SkiBig3
    Nov. 2: Winter Park Resort, CO - Ikon, owned by Alterra
    Nov. 8: Copper Mountain, CO - Ikon, owned by POWDR
    Nov. 8: Lake Louise, Banff Sunshine, Canada - Ikon/MCP, SkiBig3
    Nov. 8: Breckenridge, CO - Epic
    Nov. 9: Mammoth Mountain, CA - Ikon/MCP
    Nov. 15: Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, CA - Ikon/MCP
    Nov. 15: Big Bear, Snow Summit, CA - Epic
    Nov. 15: Vail, CO - Epic
    Nov. 16: Loon Mountain, NH - Ikon, Boyne Resorts

Other Ikon locations likely to open before Nov. 17: Killington, VT (POWDR), Sunday River, ME (Boyne), Brighton, UT (Boyne).

17. MarzNC

The cold temps that came in after the latest snowstorm is making all the Colorado ski areas/resorts excited about the idea of opening early.

" . . .
    But the Roaring Fork Valley is undeniably off to a good start. The independent ski area Sunlight Mountain Resort has started making snow. The ski area outside of Glenwood Springs is scheduled to open Dec. 13, but if conditions remain favorable, it announced it will open for weekends between Thanksgiving and Dec. 13, when it opens daily.

Prodigious amounts of snow throughout the Colorado mountains are spurring ski areas to open early. Winter Park announced Wednesday it will open Nov. 2 — the earliest opening ever in its 80 seasons. Winter Park has scored more than 40 inches of snow this month.

Eldora will open Nov. 1, two weeks ahead of schedule. That will be its earliest opening ever.

Copper Mountain and Breckenridge plan to open Nov. 8. Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Loveland and Wolf Creek are already open.

October is featuring more than bountiful snow. It’s also bringing colder than usual temperatures. Aspenweather.net, a local forecasting service, reported Wednesday that the unofficial low of 1 degree above for Aspen was the all-time coldest temperature in the town for October. The record was forecast to be shattered Wednesday night and Thursday morning with a forecast low of between minus-4 and minus-7."

18. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, looking very good for a Nth American season. Hopefully more of that love for everyone.

19. MarzNC

Killington opening up North Ridge on Nov. 3 for season passholders, including Ikon folks. Will open as much as practical for the public starting Mon, Nov. 4. So even the U.S. northeast is getting going.

Sunday River started up 192 snowguns, but Boyne Resorts hasn't decided on an opening date yet. The Boston Ski Expo is Nov. 15-18, so if they can get open by Nov. 15 that would be good for business. A lot folks in the Boston area make the 4-hour trek to Sunday River on a regular basis. SR is bigger resort with 8 peaks, compared to 3 smaller peaks at Loon that's a couple hours drive away. So a little easier to avoid crowded trails at SR on weekends, plus SR has more skiable trees.

Because of the non-Alterra partners, Ikon is winning the "first to open" game in more than one region over Epic.

20. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Yeah - I don't know much about East Coast skiing aside from a couple of the resorts up in Canada. Had a look the other day to see what it was like but it was night so checked the webcams again this morning - no snow but some nice fall color. On one of the cams one of the views seems to have a series of rollers with some sort of rail or track off to the side - what was that?

Anyway, if its your home mountain how often do you get up there?

I spent a an hour or so on the computer yesterday so had the Steamboat Four Points cam running on a monitor and saw heaps of groups (few with dogs etc.) getting some earned turns. Here was a grab showing the cover and some of the tracks off Storm Peak

[​IMG]

MarzNC likes this.
  21. MarzNC

You were probably looking at the Massanutten tubing hill. Gets covered with snow in the winter season and has a few plastic runs during the green seasons. The conveyor belt for getting to the top is also used to get people to where the Megazip starts. When they start blowing snow on the tubing hill, it's pretty impressive. There are permanently mounted fan guns and they usually add 1-2 portable fan guns when building the base.

It's fair to say that people who live in the northeast, meaning New York City and north, usually have no idea there are ski resorts south of Washington DC. The region in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and up to Albany, NY is called the Mid-Atlantic as far as ski region is concerned. Quite a few ski areas/resorts but all relatively small. Massanutten actually has more vertical than any ski mountain in Pennsylvania. One reason it's been around for almost 50 years.

I live 4 hours drive from Massanutten. Easy driving. Absolutely no worries about snow on the roads except under very unusual circumstances. Always stay overnight for skiing. When my daughter was in elementary school and learning to ski, we would go the week before Christmas, the two holiday weekends (mid-Jan, mid-Feb) and perhaps 1-2 other weekends. These days I go in early January when I have a timeshare week, plus the mid-Jan holiday weekend with a friend and her kids. The first non-holiday weekend in Jan is a demo weekend so I met up with friends from DC. By late Jan I start flying out west. The Massanutten season is mid-Dec thru early March, although sometimes can stretch a bit longer in March.

Needless to say, I have lots of pictures from the last 15 years.

05Jan2016 snowmaking, trail on the right is Diamond Jim from the summit

18Jan2016, Showtime (main blue) from Lift 5 (triple), all trails are lit for night skiing

15Dec2017, season started early, looking at shorter beginner base lift and Geronimo (green) behind it

06Jan2018, Demo Day morning, me (white skis) and my DC friend (has asked questions here about Japan) at the top, view is Shenandoah Valley. The Appalachian Trail that runs from Georgia to Maine is in the far mountains, which are in the Shenandoah National Park.

chunky and ponyrider like this.
  22. MarzNC

Ozgirl and LDJ like this.
  23. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Yeah you're right - Here was a screen grab (didn't even think about it being a tube hill)

[​IMG]

It was that thing to the left I was curios about - because it sort of looked like a rail of some sort (seemed to be sleepers at the bottom).

Here was a grab from a google maps pic

[​IMG]

Looks pretty busy!!

Whilst in that pic the fence means you cant make it out clearly I think given the "lift" hut at the top maybe its just another carpet sat on some sleepers (for leveling etc.). I mean it could be some sort of rail with a platform for wheel chair access or something - guess you will have to have a look and clarify when you are there :D

24. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

:eek: min of $400+ for a group of 7 (keeping in mind it states you need a valid ticket). I reckon its a great idea - night skiing with a headlamp can be super fun and having it lift accessed with a guide will make it accessible to many/some that wouldn't necessarily have experienced it (so that's a good thing) but I reckon its just a shame its not a bit cheaper because cost will be a barrier.

Or maybe not given the expensive nature of the sport anyway and associated snow related activities (like skidooing and dog sledding etc.). Who would be happy to fork out $400+ for the family to do this for 2 hours? Anyone know of anywhere else that does something similar?

25. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sunpeaks does a fondue night at Sunburst lodge ( a mid mountain eatery) and then ski down with headlamps.
    The combination of a stomach full of schnapps, fondue and then night skiing (and associated vertigo) with a headlamp is...interesting lets say :confused:

26. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I went on a 'snowcat dinner' thing at Snowmass a few years ago.
    The kids got a kick out of the cat ride but the dinner was nothing flash and it felt like we were hurried through the process. I can't remember the cost but it definitely wasn't cheap.
    The snowcat dinner is about the only thing about Aspen/Snowmass that I don't have great memories of. What a fantastic place. I'm back there for the first few days of March 2020 too. Can't wait.

27. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

How do you get up the lodge? Lift access or via cat?

I have never done EU but as I understand it because of the size and the way the the areas are setup (little hamlets etc. scattered about) you can do this with relative ease - i.e. ski to an establishment, have dinner and drinks then try and ski home - for me that will be one of things I will try and experience when I eventually do the EU snow trip :D

Steamboat does similar with 2 mid mountain establishments - Ragnars (they use a cat drawn sled and market it as a sleigh ride dinner) and Four Points (just use a Cat). Both are accessed via the top of Thunderhead (which is accessed via Gondola) so getting there and back is pretty cool but any time I have looked at it I have thought the pricing was obscene for what it is. Steamboat do have dining options and they do a drinks 'Happy Hour' at the top of the Gondola which is a bit more reasonable so there is that.

Given you can get up to mid mountain relatively easily after dark (catch the Gondy up for a drink or dinner) I have often wondered what they would do if you tried to take gear up - guessing they wouldn't be happy LOL That then leaves trying to stash some gear up top to be used later but I have never bothered as I am happy enough to hike it if I fancy a night run.

Gotta say riding a chair in the dark is pretty cool however. At Steamboat the chair used to access the night skiing runs for a fair chunk of the journey is dark (away from the lights) and the journey is different and enjoyable (especially looking back towards the base etc.).

28. MarzNC

Funny you could find such a pic! Looks like late season when there was just enough cold at night to make more snow to cover the tubing lanes. It's a composite pic because there is really only one carpet lift on the right.

Yep, that's a second carpet on the far left. It was installed a few years ago when the tubing was expanded to add more lanes. But it's rarely run. Perhaps during holiday periods but I haven't really paid attention to tubing for a while. Tubing tickets (2-hr sessions) typically sell out on weekends by the afternoon before. There are a lot of families where there's at least one adult who doesn't ski/board. Or grandparents who are willing to go tubing but not get on the slopes otherwise. For a 3-day holiday weekend, those families have kids in ski school on Sat and Sun, then go tubing in the afternoons or on Mon morning before they make the drive home.

29. MarzNC

Can do that at Massanutten any evening. Lift 6 to the summit runs in the midst of trees, below the tops, for the last 6 minutes. The ground below is not a skiable trail. Slopes stay open until 10pm on weekends. No lights on any poles the entire way. Way fun on moonlit evenings, but can be pretty spooky for tweens.

30. MarzNC

Given the price of lift tickets, or slopeside resort lodging at Big Sky, or a dinner at Everett's 8800 at the top of Andesite Mountain, US$400/7 or even $400/4 is not bad for a couple of hours for a pretty unique experience. Since Big Sky doesn't have the usual night skiing, I assume the lift ticket is just the day ticket for earlier that day, so shouldn't really be extra. Of course, much cheaper to go cross-country skiing in the moonlight in the valley for nothing more than the cost of renting gear.

Found a trip report from March 2019:
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/03/13/headlamp-night-skiing-big-sky/

For budget skiing in that part of Montana, Bridger is the place to go. Only night skiing in Montana is at Whitefish.

31. MarzNC

Turns out that in addition to the usual night skiing with lights mounted on a few groomers, Whitefish has Moonlight Dine & Ski using Chair 1. After dinner, can either download or ski down. Only happening on March 20 in 2020, price US$60 for an adult.

https://skiwhitefish.com/moonlight-dine-ski/
    Dine adventurously at nearly 7,000 ft. Enjoy dinner at the Summit House, overlooking the snowcapped peaks of Glacier National Park and the sparkling lights of the Flathead Valley. Start your voyage with a breathtaking ride up to the summit of Big Mountain on Chair 1; enjoy an unforgettable dining experience; and then either ride the lift down or follow our experienced instructors for the run of your life… by moonlight!

Those who choose to ski down after dinner should be able to ski at an advanced intermediate level and we highly recommend that you be comfortable with black diamond terrain. The mountain conditions can be variable due to visibility and time of season.

32. MarzNC

@Scooter : I realized I'm a little spoiled by the webcams that have been set up around the U.S. southeast by the people who do the SkiSoutheast website. The man who started SkiNC/SkiSE runs an Internet software and web services company. Has been setting up cameras and winter and summer resorts for years. Can't control any cameras, but some pan automatically so get multiple views from one camera.

Snowshoe in WV was Intrawest and is now Alterra/Ikon. Started snowmaking a few weeks ago. It's a half-day drive from Washington DC or Atlanta or Ohio, so draws people from quite a few states.
    http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/snowshoe-basin/

33. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @MarzNC - I did wonder about that second carpet on the right (given it obviously wasn't in the live feed), guess they did a pano or something and it got duplicated. Thanks for clarifying about the left hand carpet as well - like I said I was just curious because the base looked like some sort of sleeper setup so I just assumed "rail".

Whilst its interesting to see the expansion of the "resort" experience (like night skiing and mountain coasters etc.) over the years I guess I'm not a fan of how some aspects (first tracks for example) are being separated and monetized but I guess it is what it is. I definitely agree that skiing with using a headlamp or via moonlight is a unique experience and well worth doing.

Some of the 3D and sphere type pics available are also awesome but then I have loved tech like street view etc. for years.

That snowshoe cam via resortcams didn't load for me so went to their website and low and behold its familiar but of course being IKON makes sense they are deploying same tech/systems. The actual live feed was a bit poor when I checked it so not sure if it was the feed or how they have embedded into the website but regardless they were blowing snow and it looked pretty good

[​IMG]

Anyway, looking good out there :D

I checked that Keystone River Run cam earlier (load in the timelapse) and :eek: - the Saturday crowds loading the two lifts in shot were super busy.

34. MarzNC

Pretty sure the ResortCams folks (same as Appnet and SkiSoutheast) installed the web cameras used at Snowshoe. The friendly relationship between Snowshoe and SkiSoutheast goes back to when Bill Rock was in charge at Snowshoe. But how the feed actually gets to each website is beyond me.

FYI, Bill Rock left Snowshoe to join Vail Resorts to be in charge of Northstar. Then moved to Park City when Canyons was being combined under VR. Recently moved to VR corporate headquarters in charge of the western region.

35. MarzNC

The news of the day on Nov. 13 in the northeast U.S. is that Sugarbush in Vermont is being acquired by Alterra. Not much of an impact on the international travelers who use Ikon instead of Epic.

The sale won't be final until January 2020. Since the CEO and the entire management team of Sugarbush have been asked to stay, nothing much will change in the near future. Sugarbush was part of Ikon in it's first season, 2018-19, and has been part of the MCP for a while. It's just north of Stowe, which was the first northeast acquisition by Vail Resorts a few years ago.

Changing But Not Saying Goodbye [Sugarbush website blog]
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019
    Written by Win Smith
    "For me, today is a bit like walking my daughter down the aisle at her wedding. I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat knowing that I am about to give away someone I have raised and loved. Looking down the aisle, however, I am delighted to see someone waiting who will also love, respect, and care for her as I have done. While things will not be the same, I am excited about this next stage of our lives. And, I am comforted knowing that we are not saying goodbye!

Today Summit Ventures NE LLC is announcing that it has agreed to sell the majority of its Sugarbush assets to Alterra Mountain Company. They currently own 14 very special destinations in North America and partner with an additional 27 around the world on their Ikon Pass. The transaction is expected to close in early January 2020 subject to regulatory approvals.

I have been asked to remain as president for as long as I wish in order to facilitate a smooth transition, to maintain our commitment to our guests and to the entire Sugarbush community, and to prepare the next generation of leaders to succeed me when I decide to move on to a third career. More importantly, Alterra Mountain Company wants our entire Sugarbush team to remain in place. They are buying a place they believe is working well and do not have plans to change our mission, our values, our brand, our culture, or our team. They recognize our commitment to the Mad River Valley community and want that to continue as well.
    . . ."

The news made it to business media outlets by early afternoon.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...tain-Company-Acquire-Sugarbush-Resort-Vermont

36. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Is there anywhere worth skiing in the USA next week ?

37. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

How desperate are you ?

38. dawooduck

Asking for a friend. Not desperate, he is off to LV to sell his music show to the Grand, catch up with Sheryl Crow and John Fogerty and asked about tacking on some skiing.

Thug life at 60

I suggested Copper if he was super keen.

39. Sbooker

He could take the beautiful drive through Death Valley National Park and have a few days at Mammoth or head northeast and check out Brian Head in Utah. The drive to Brian Head is about 3 hours. The drive to Mammoth is about 5 hours. Even driving the 6 hours to Salt Lake City is a lot quicker than driving to Colorado.

40. absentskier

Brian Head closed, no snow yet. Mammoth just a bit of snowmaking. More open in Colorado.

41. dawooduck

That appears to be it.

42. MarzNC

The recommendation given by Ski Divas to someone who will be in Denver for work next week was Keystone, as opposed to Breck. She has an Epic pass, so that's why A-Basin and Copper weren't mentioned.

Mammoth is open but the locals are whining about how little terrain is actually available.

43. Sbooker

Sorry. I didn’t realise it was now.
    Probably not worth a lot of effort.
    I was thinking the trip was in season.

44. MarzNC

Turns out the trip was this week. She and her co-worker had a good time at Keystone. They are upper intermediates who live in eastern U.S. so groomers for a day was fine.

45. Gumbie

Gumbie First Runs

We (family of 4) are landing in Salt Lake City on 15 December to drive to see friends in Bayfield. We'll be skiing Purgatory and Telluride and will be hiring skis in Durango. We are stopping in Moab overnight so we have time to do some sightseeing on the way there. We're also doing touristy things like the Polar Express, hot water springs and visiting some breweries. The white christmas and choosing a pine tree has everyone excited.
    Can anyone recommend retail outlets or bargain style stores in Salt Lake City for clothing? I'm keen to find out how much cheaper ski clothing is in the states. Are we better using amazon in the USA and getting it shipped to their address in Bayfield. We're doing this for santa's presents for the kids.
    I've googled skitruck which appears to be near the airport. Any good?
    While I'm at it, any recommendations other than Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park to look out for on the way?

46. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

2nd track sports is the best/cheapest ski shop Ive ever seen.
    Its hard to stop money jumping out of your pocket

https://www.levelninesports.com/2nd-tracks-sports

Grab a slice of pizza 2 doors up as well, its awesome

47. silva

silva One of Us

I have done this before. It makes life very easy. Notify your accommodation, set up US address with Amazon or any store you wish in the US and have everything shipped. Saves a lot of time (I don't enjoy shopping so do not want to shop while on holiday) and makes it much easier to be Santa with the kids. I have even gone as far as to order wrapping paper online and have it delivered - wait til kids are asleep, gather everything from reception, wrap and leave at reception storage until Christmas eve. No snooping eyes finding what they shouldn't and no sneaking around shops. Using stores like level nine sports, REI, Backcountry etc you can get some amazing deals.

ETA - Winterkids has good deals on kids outerwear sometimes as well.

Gregah likes this.
  48. MarzNC

+1 on checking out 2nd Tracks. It has new stuff and good quality consignment stuff. I haven't been able to walk out of the 2nd Tracks in Ogden empty handed yet shopping off the consignment racks.

I like to stop in the REI store in SLC since it has a lot more ski related stuff than where I live. For clothing and jackets, sometimes TJ Maxx has stuff. But depends on the time of year.

If shopping online, there are better sources than Amazon. For instance, can look at REI Outlet. Some parents like Lands End clothing. I'm not much of an online shopper, but can come up with other e-stores if you are interested. The Ski Divas include some very good shoppers.

49. silva

silva One of Us

True but Amazon Prime free fast shipping is pretty spectacular and its always worth a search on Amazon once you decide exactly what you want just to price check.

MarzNC likes this.
  50. Gumbie

Gumbie First Runs

Thanks everyone.
    We'll do a combination of both.
    We're going to check out Black Friday before we go and and get presents for the kids shipped straight to Bayfield, only to found once they've gone to bed on Christmas Eve.
    For clothing we'll checkout 2nd tracks. It sounds good.

We arrive back in Salt Lake City on the 28th December for 2 nights and we fly to Calgary on the 30th. I've allowed a day on the 29th in case of blizzards and we lose a day driving. I know this discussion has probably been had elsewhere, but for 1 day on the 29th, if we were able to ski, where should we head? Into Alta, around to Park City or up to Snowbasin? I am experienced but it would be the 5th or 6th day on snow for the kids and the wife enjoys cruisers.

My answer would be to check out Park City, to drive by the Olympic facilities, but my head is saying keep it simple for the kids