1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2019-2020 ramblings/plans/reports

Discussion in 'United States' started by mx_boarder, Apr 30, 2019.

1. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Regarding LAX, it's quite hard to predict how long the entry process will be. This trip (Christmas day), we were through extremely quickly with no queue at all. Last year, it took us about an hour.

2. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Took ages when I came through
    Lined up at the self serve camera and finger scanner and passport copier thing which takes agesx4 but then you just join the huge queue anyway and they still take your photo and scan fingers again

even after this long process our bags hadn’t made it to the the carousel yet

that’s after disembarking the Qantas plane somewhere on the outskirts of lax and getting in buses to the terminal

and then another shit bus to the taxi/Uber area

great fun

J_busworth likes this.
  3. absentskier

Total opposite experience to us this time. Off plane, self serve camera and scanner, tiny queue to person, straight through without any more photo or scan, bags through quickly. But I have also had your experience in prior years.

4. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Won't have any problem finding cheap lodging in SLC near the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon in late April. Lowest budget option is the Motel 6 in Sandy. The La Quinta next to it is a step up, and includes breakfast.

If you found 3 days enough at Mammoth, then 3 days at Snowbird would be enough. Note that only some of the lifts will be running by then. The last week of the full "season" is the week after Easter. Alta closes for 7-day operations on April 19. Snowbird will stay open another month, or longer if there is enough snow.

Bachelor is more fun in some ways during late, late season. But probably not worth the extra travel.

Sean Sunley and Summit like this.
  5. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Closing date of 24/05/2020, I see. Pity I can't get away at that time of the year, Bend golf courses would be open by then !
    Ski in the morning, golf in the arvo, about 20 micro breweries to choose from in the evening. I'm going to want the body of a 25 year old to survive retirement in a few years...did I say that right :D

6. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

Whats the go with taking a hire car from SLC to the resort @ snowbird?
    I've seen mentions of Chains compulsory?

I'll likely be picking up a hire care in Vegas, so i doubt they will be giving winter tyres?
    is this likely to be an issue?
    ( i mean fitting chains is fine, but i know most hire places are against that)

How serious is the road in Little cottonwood? like on scale from Perisher to Mt hotham?

7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

More Perisher than Hotham. But avalanches.

8. MarzNC

If the road conditions require chains, take the UTA ski bus.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  9. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've never used chains.
    If a big powder day you will have problems with traffic jams. Even more problems on a powder day on a weekend. If a big dump happens maybe drive north and hit up Powder Mountain.

10. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Last day of our first USA ski trip and it has been great. We drove from San Francisco to Denver in a rented Hyundai Tucson AWD. Used the Epic pass except for Alta (Thredbo 365) and Sundance (Liftopia). Colorado is cold and high. My best travel tip, don't convert, just pretend 1USD = 1AUD.

11. Sean Sunley

Chains are cheap to buy in the USA if you are keen to always drive. On poor weather days I caught the bus. I didn't want to contend with poor weather and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  12. Sean Sunley

Motel 6 was less than $100AUD/night, very basic, two stars. Skiing five stars.

13. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

January was a local ski month for us, and luckily winter arrived bigly in the WA Cascades. We ski Mission Ridge at weekends to avoid Seattle crowds at the local mountains - a great local ski hill if you are ever in this part of the world. Plenty of pics in blog here.

More snow forecast for this weekend so that's where we'll be. And the weekend after - Alaska :)

14. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Happy Winter Festival

Steamboat Springs

chunky, Summit and Sbooker like this.
  15. scottski

The Shovel Race , what could go wrong

chunky and absentskier like this.
  16. absentskier

How long have you been at Steamboat?

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

That looks great. I am planning my first foreign ski trip for early 2021 and the USA looks like it will most likely be the place. :).Please give me some feedback about Lake Tahoe and surrounds. It looks amazing and has some decent XC ski options from what I have found on the interwebby. There is a XC ski centre on the California side of the border heading towards the Reno / Nevada side.
    https://www.visitrenotahoe.com/things-to-do/ski/ski-resorts/royal-gorge/
    https://www.royalgorge.com/home

#217 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. scottski

Seven days. I’m here till the eighteenth.

are you here as well ?

19. absentskier

Sadly I left back on Jan 21.

20. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

There for a month and I don't think you even posted a pic ya SLACKER :p

Good stuff @scottski - love the winter carnival :thumbs: Will have to track down some vids generally of this years carnival but had already seen clips of the big firework (worlds biggest - they tried for it last year and it fizzed) so I am assuming you went? How was it in person (I love the winter carnival fireworks :D)? I couldn't believe they even ran a story/vision about it on the 7 news here in Brissy last night

21. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Will ask here rather than in @DidSurfNowSki trip report thread as it is US related (well SLC specific I guess). How has Utah fared this season? I thought they had been doing alright but then when I saw the below pic I was thinking "SLC is looking browner than I was expecting" so generally how snowy is SLC normally?

22. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

also @absentskier - see Steamboat Today is reporting a Tree Well death today - happened in Shadows (paper was reporting 38" from that storm). Not good - ridden through there heaps obviously and the other half and daughter also helped rescue a skier who was in trouble once - daughter heard faint yells for help and was able to see the guy - they couldn't actually free him and had to get help to get them out. She was freaky in that she could be skiing/riding through there and would stop and be like "look Porcupine" and sure enough there would be one I would have had 0 chance of spotting.

23. absentskier

Hi Scooter. I know, extremely slack. I will post some pics when I get a moment - better late than never.
    Horrible.

We saved an old guy stuck in deep snow in the Weasel Trees. Not a tree well but just couldn't move. I heard a faint cry for help and saw him about 30 metres above us. After much effort getting to him, digging out skis etc and trying to ski or slide him down, gave up and got ski patrol. Took them a while to fund us. Was getting dark by that stage. I think he would probably have died if I had not heard his call for help.

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

OMG.How dreadful. I had to look that one up. I have only skied in the snow gums in Ozstriya.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/02/10/skier-dead-steamboat/
    Tree Well
    [​IMG]
    A tree well, also known as a spruce trap, is the space around a tree under its branches that does not get the same amount of snow as the surrounding open space. This creates a void or area of loose snow below the branches and around the trunk that is dangerous to any hikers, snowshoers, skiers, and snowboarders who fall into them. If someone lands in such a well, often as a result of a fall, it can be too deep for them to climb up the surrounding loose snow before they are buried. Making the situation more dangerous, they often fall into the well head-first and as the result of an accident which could leave them injured or unconscious.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020...orm-recap-3-4-feet-of-snow-at-some-ski-areas/

25. absentskier

To rectify my lack of photos from Steamboat, here’s a few pics.

Attached Files:

chunky, Chalkie, B-Dub and 4 others like this.
  26. absentskier

Bit of carnage for some inexperienced off-piste skiers in Vogue trees.

chunky and whether like this.
  27. absentskier

Attached Files:

chunky, Summit, whether and 1 other person like this.
  28. absentskier

29. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you like critters Tom Mangelsen's galleries are worth an hour or so.

30. absentskier

And for @Scooter, the new gondola noticeably reduces wait times.

31. bertys

bertys Addicted

Here’ a few pics of our annual Jan trip in Colorado. A week each in Winter Park, Snowmass and Copper. Conditions were perfect with regular top ups throughout the entire trip.
    Pics are mainly of my kids skiing on pow days.
    Winter

chunky, Chalkie, Summit and 3 others like this.
  32. bertys

bertys Addicted

33. bertys

bertys Addicted

34. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Yeah - Tree Wells have been discussed on here plenty of times and can be deadly. If you google/youtube the topic there are plenty of scary examples. Plenty of hazards out there and even just even deep uncompacted snow can be an issue (especially if over scrubby tress etc.).

35. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Yeah its amazing how easy it is to get into trouble even a stones throw from people/pistes so good thing you were able help :thumbs:

As an aside I had to Google Weasel Trees - was thinking where the hell are Weasel trees? Thought maybe below the Weasel sign off Why Not (only because the trees below the Porcupine sign are known as Porcupine Trees) but then I wasn't sure if there even was a Weasel sign and where it was. A youtube vid showed Weasel Trees as off in that area past the Teepee and down to BC ski way yeah? I always just referred to that area generally as Narnia as I think the locals refer to a section (maybe the bike trail) as that.

I always kept meaning to try and sit down with a long time local and mark off the names of all the locals runs - never did LOL

36. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

LOL - Can get some sneaky really deep stuff through there - especially below short cut. I always used to line it up opposite Club B Storm Meadows so I could admire my track when I looked out at the slopes :D

Thanks for the pics - very Jealous. I did get some December Aussie snow at Cradle Mountain but its not quite the same :cry: I grabbed a VR headset so slowly been checking out some VR snow related content - even a couple of Steamboat ones. Its cool and would love to make my own 360 VR stuff - I wonder if that would fly as an excuse to head back LOL

Yeah have read that. Good thing they only took the week to fix it early December otherwise the holidays would have been carnage :eek: How did you find the crowds etc. over the Xmas and New Year periods?

37. absentskier

It was very busy until the 6th. Thursday 2nd January was the busiest ever day at Steamboat.

After that, all good.

38. absentskier

I referred to that area as Narnia too, but ski patrol said it is Weasel Trees.

39. absentskier

From flight to LA.

chunky and Chalkie like this.
  40. MarzNC

I arrive in Steamboat on Feb. 14, driving from SLC. Will be around at the balloon glow that evening. Skiing Sat, Sun, Mon with a couple ski buddies. We booked an instructor for Sun to bypass lift lines. Guess it's going to be a powder lesson. :)

41. MarzNC

You asking about the city? It very rarely snows there, but it can happen. Usually melts in a few days.

Alta skied very well the last couple days. I missed the big storm, but given the mess that happened on the LCC road, that's okay. Also meant Solitude and Deer Valley were crazy busy last weekend. I caught the 18 inch powder storm at Taos last week.

42. MarzNC

Anyone who hasn't taken a look at this website about tree wells should take some time to review the videos. Only a major issue in certain regions but it pays to know what to avoid.

https://www.deepsnowsafety.org

43. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Some great pow pics with the kids @bertys - I also like that one of the fresh on the groomed - looks like you timed that one well as only a few other tracks. So if you did a week at each (in I assume comparable conditions) how did you rate each of the 3 resorts against each other?

You guys actually ski on the 2nd? I swear its like a zoo over that period LOL but at least once you do get up high you can avoid the masses.

Thanks @MarzNC - Yeah was interested in SLC itself. Guess I just always assumed it was more like a mountain city so wasn't expecting it to be so brown. Just googled it and the average snowfall is in the 50" range which is actually similar to Denver (also in the 50" average range) which TBH also surprises me at times how brown it is but I would have thought SLC would have been much snowier - guess not.

You should post up some pics of your travels :D

44. absentskier

Yep we skied on the 2nd (or at least I did, can't remember who else in our crew came out). Was still fun.

45. absentskier

Flintlock powder

Attached Files:

chunky likes this.
  46. absentskier

Twilight

chunky likes this.
  47. absentskier

48. scottski

Scooter, the Winter Carnival was fabulous. We went to Howlsen hill for the night. Great show along with all of the street events.
    The biggest firework was Ok. I’ve seen too many New Years fireworks shows on Sydney Harbour to be impressed. It didn’t seem that big.

49. bertys

bertys Addicted

50. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @scottski - Yeah its a great event and when we first started going to Steamboat we would stay past Winter Carnival so have been to a few (kept the buttons). Sadly as the kids got older with going to high school etc. the other half pulled back our return date to late Jan so no more Winter Carnival :cry: My kids have participated in a few of the street events and one year my daughter got 2nd in the Skijoring which I thought was pretty cool.

Guess the biggest firework thing is a bit of gimmick but lets face it, if the aim was a bit of exposure the fact it was on the seven news here in Brissy I guess they achieved what they set out to do. Pretty sure the grab they used was from this clip (looks like it was filmed from the other side of town):-

I gotta admit I love a good fireworks show - big or small so was quite happy when they started doing the weekly show at the base. I know some locals had issues with it but I think if you were there for a week or two it would add a little something to the experience.

Hey @bertys - I really do need to get to a few new places - one day :D I had to sort something over that Xmas/New Year holiday period last season and almost went over to Snowmass but in the end I ended up just staying in Steamboat as it was easier (that holiday is not the time you really want to be travelling etc. in terms of costs and availability). I know people that have spent a bit of time in Copper and they rate it . Guess you are spoiled for choice in CO :thumbs:

chunky likes this.