1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2019-2020 ramblings/plans/reports

Discussion in 'United States' started by mx_boarder, Apr 30, 2019.

1. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Heading to US on 19th March for first US trip and just budgeting. Looked at US ski passes and jesuuus I should have looked at this in advance. 3 of us x 9 days is going to make me cry at pretty much any of the resorts I want to go to. It looks like booking online in advance saves a little but I'm assuming for future you need epic, ikon or similar otherwise you need to remortgage.

2. m2711c

m2711c One of Us

on the banks of Fish Creek in lovely Taberg NY
    check this pass out.... only$139. goes offsale after februrary 29

https://www.indyskipass.com/

Just did a wonderful trip through Spokane airport to hit 49° north, Silver Mountain, and lost trail powder mountain all on this pass. Fantastic snow for the whole trip and not a single line or crowd.

gortonator and LDJ like this.
  3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ah yes you absolutely should have looked at this earlier if you’re wanting to go to big popular resorts! Where did you have in mind?

4. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

this all looks great and would be perfect for me and my wife as we love roads trips and did Fernie, powder highway and resorts not too far from where you went but this trip is with my dad who while a great skier is mainly lots of piste skiing in large scale resorts as he is 70. He also doesn’t enjoy road tripping as much these days due to packing, health reasons etc

5. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

was looking at big sky, mammoth, snowbird and kirkwood but was going to wait until last minute to see snow as my 2 fixed trips this year to Japan and Chile have been pretty bad for snow. I have flights to LAX booked and then work it from there. I’m flexible on resorts as long as decent size and not crazy busy

6. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

this will be a consideration in the future and I now understand why everyone is epic or ikon or MC. I have skied other major resorts globally in Canada, France, Japan and passes have never been more than Aus$90 per day so I thought US would be similar.

7. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

Just back from Alyeska for President's weekend. First time in Alaska and it was wild fun. We scored with 3 days of cold sun after a 30cm storm, so timing could not have been better. Usual lots of pics and a video here.

chunky likes this.
  8. absentskier

Great pics :thumbs:

9. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Mountain Collective road trip?
    A Basin, Aspen, Snowbird/Alta and Jackson.

10. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’m in Salt Lake City and skied Alta yesterday and will ski Snowbird tomorrow before moving to Jackson. Alta was absolutely loaded and the snow is in sublime condition. Cold temps in blazing sunshine. Amazing views. Stunning terrain.
    I’ve said it before but if there is better lift served skiing anywhere on the planet I want to know about it. Must be the best combination of quantity and quality of snow and diverse/challenging terrain there is.

sly_karma, chunky, mx_boarder and 5 others like this.
  11. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

$139 for the indy pass is a cracker deal!

12. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Is low visibility okay? If so, Mt. Bachelor combined with Mt. Hood Meadows could be an option.

Big Sky would work well. Can be combined with a few days at Bridger, which is 20 min from Bozeman. Bridger is a non-profit so lift tickets are quite reasonable. But with 2000 acres it's not a small mountain and has terrain for all levels.

Snowbird/Alta is pretty busy these days when the snow is good. Was there a couple weeks ago. We didn't have to deal with lift lines 2-3 days after the storm that caused the longest Interlodge since the process was created. Not really my first thought for long, empty groomers. Mineral Basin is great but only when there is good visibility. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are better for avoiding crowds. PowMow limits not only the number of season passes but also the number of day tickets. Plenty of condos available in Eden.

I just finished three days at Steamboat over a holiday weekend. First look since I started skiing off-piste in the last decade. Was quite impressed with the length of the blue groomers and the amount of tree skiing. Lift lines were only an issue from about 9:30-11:30 even on the two busiest days. Being a few hours from Denver, doesn't get nearly as crowded.

Aspen/Snowmass is another possibility when trying to avoid crowded groomers. Compared to Steamboat Springs, Aspen lodging that is close to the slopes is more expensive.

Of course, possible to fly directly into Hayden for Steamboat or ASE if willing to be flexible about flight weather delays.

13. MarzNC

Offer and sales ends on Feb. 29, 2020.

14. absentskier

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I clearly took to the planks quite late in life and this sort of thing will never be on my radar.

16. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've been in Aspen this week. First visit here, and first visit back to Colorado since the mid- nineties.

It's great! Huge amount and variety of terrain at Aspen, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass (haven't been to Buttermilk but understand that's where the green runs are). Great bars and restaurants, and the bus system and skis valet between hills is very convenient. Highly recommended!!!

Ted Harper, chunky, MarzNC and 5 others like this.
  17. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It’s worth checking out Buttermilk on a powder day. Ptarmigan and Timber doodle are black glades will give you fresh tracks long after the heavy hitters have run Ajax and Aspen mountain into the ground.
    The top of Sama knob also has a fabulous bbq restaurant and local craft beer on tap. well worth checking out.

we will be there in ten days for a work ‘conference’. Is the snowpack holding up?

skiflat and Chalkie like this.
  18. Chalkie

Thanks @Roymond for the tip. The snowpack is in excellent condition after some snow earlier this week but temps are warming rapidly for the end of this week. I imagine it will start to get fairly firm underfoot. There's snow forecast for the weekend though so some more top up on the way.

19. Chalkie

Stunning bluebird day at Aspen:

coolair, Summit, Zeroz and 4 others like this.
  20. absentskier

Awesome. Remind me the name of the run the middle photo is taken on?

21. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Epic

Chalkie likes this.
  22. Chalkie

That's the top of Buckhorn. Nice view, eh?

23. absentskier

V nice.

Chalkie likes this.
  24. Chalkie

Week at Aspen all wrapped up now boo hoo. I was mightily impressed - great snow, such a variety of terrain, and great apres options (not that we availed ourselves of too much of that - we were a group of 8 (4 couples) and had rented an apartment with a full kitchen (and had four good cooks in the group), so we ended up eating in 5 out of seven nights). But we did enjoy brekkies and the coffee and pastries at Victoria & Co (an "Aussie" cafe, with excellent quality coffee and all the things one might miss from Australia, such as smashed avo toast, Vegemite and Anzac biscuits, an amusing cocktail at The Living Room Bar at The Little Nell (aka the Wrinklies Bar, complete with absurdly over-priced apres ski wear, vast quantities of plastic surgery, old guys with what must be immensely large wallets, and for some reason, many gorgeous and friendly dogs).

We all loved Aspen (Ajax) and Aspen Highlands and skied at each two days, and rounded that out with a day at Snowmass (we wimped out the day the temperature was minus 19). I'd really like to return to each and spend some more time at Snowmass - the day we were there was pretty overcast and flat light, so I don't think we saw all it had to offer.

Was it expensive? Aspen has that reputation, and you certainly can spend a lot of money there, but choosing self-catering accommodation, and utilising things like the Ikon Pass (if you ski at Thredbo or Mt Buller in Australia) could help to manage costs (somewhat). With the current AUD-USD exchange rate there could be lots of "ouch" moments though, particularly with eating out (the menu card cost plus tax plus tip...).

A couple of pics on the last day:

25. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looks wonderful. Counting the days until Snowmass for us. We leave on the 10th. Coronavirus has put a little dampener on the mood. What was the take from the good burghers of Aspen?

Chalkie likes this.
  26. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Wow, I've been bad and had a lot of catching up in this thread. So many glorious posts and the pics...sensational from all :)

skiflat likes this.
  27. Chalkie

I can't think I heard any mention of Coronavirus the whole time I was there, other than on the news. Americans are panic buying hand sanitizer, but the public health authorities are emphasising good old fashioned hand washing.

Roymond likes this.
  28. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Heading to the US on 19th March was definitely going Big Sky but work got in the way and didn’t book internal flights and they are quite a lot. Was weighing up Mammoth (can drive from LAX) Vs Big Sky and wanted to see if anyone has been on the ground recently or has an idea how their seasons are going. I can see the amount of snow each has but I have no idea if that is good, bad or ugly.

29. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

Big sky are having their best ever season, i think.
    Mammoth has had some huge seasons, and huge late seasons.

Big sky does need a good cover to be 100% rideable, mammoth is all good when is has 2M or so.
    HMm just checked the Mammoth cams, looks a bit lean to me.
    (which is like 3m at top instead of 5)

Of two i would prefer to ski Big Sky again, if i had the choice - especially given the current conditions of both

LDJ likes this.
  30. MarzNC

Looking at the data on OpenSnow, Mammoth is way below normal. I know of Californians who've been going to Utah or Colorado to ski lately.

Another round of snow is expected in Utah in a week, although too soon to know details.

Would flying to SLC and driving to Grand Targhee be out of the question? No lift lines at GT, but can be a bit tricky to learn where to go in low visibility.

31. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Friends in SFO said Feb was bad, snow wise. State wide problem. Snowed yesterday but base is way below normal.
    2020-03-02/february-ranked-among-the-driest-on-record-across-california-forecasters-hopeful-for-a-miracle-march

If you go to Mammoth try and avoid weekends and especially a Friday drive from LA. Busy busy.

Driving LA to Big Sky is looong, 2 days. Pick an midway stop like SLC, or JH or Sun Valley.

Or fly cheaply to Missoula or Kalispell (ski Whitefish too) then a rent car to drive to BS.
    If flying to Bozeman you're renting a car anyway to get from Bozeman to Big Sky.

LDJ likes this.
  32. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Fly into Jackson or Idaho Falls. I reckon a quarter of the driving time - probably less.

33. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

I like the look of GT will look into that or Big Sky via smaller airport. Any ideas if it is easy or crazy expensive to hire a car one place and drop off another in the US?

34. MarzNC

It depends. Last season a friend flew into JH, rented one-way to drive to Big Sky, and dropped the car off at the Bozeman airport. There was a restriction on the number of miles. But she didn't have trouble staying under the limit.

It's not the size of the airport that matters, it's the number of carriers and daily flights. The Bozeman airport is pretty small. Flights to Missoula and Billings can be cheaper than to Bozeman. But it's more than a couple hours drive to Big Sky. The issue when driving from Billings is that the pass just to the east of Bozeman can be hard to deal with during a snowstorm. That's the advice I got from a friend who moved to Bozeman and has been working at Big Sky as an instructor for several years.

The drive from JH to Big Sky is about 5 hours, but only if US20 is open to West Yellowstone to get onto RT191. When there is a snowstorm, the winds cause blowing snow on the flats. The result is very poor visibility and drifts on the roadway. My ski buddy and I had to drive from Driggs to Bozeman via RT87 to US287 because US20 was closed just south of the ID/WY border. A couple days later, friends driving from SLC couldn't make it to Big Sky in one day because they had to go the long way around on I-15.

The advantage of flying into SLC is that there are quite a few options within 1-8 hours drive. I've done trips to Big Sky, GT, JH, Sun Valley, and Aspen driving from SLC. Plus of course there is Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, or the resorts an hour from the airport in LCC/BCC.

35. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've done the one-way car rental from JH to Big Sky (Bozeman) and there was no drop off fee. YMMV.
    I assume JH has a surplus because since it's a destination resort on every bucket list.

It's low season in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. Summer is when the hordes fly in, rent a car and do Yellowstone.

Should be options in late March. LAX-Boise can be $100, LAX-SLC $200. BZM has +10 car rental co's. SLC has +15.

LDJ likes this.
  36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Does Mt. Van Hoevenberg still have half decent snow in early March?. I am tossing up whether to visit NYC and add on a ski trip near Lake Placid in Jan. or March 2021. I would be possibly heading to the Lake Tahoe Area on the way back or Silver Star in Canada and will visit SF before flying home.

37. MarzNC

January would be much better.

All I know for sure is that the XC guy on NYSkiBlog expects this weekend to be his last outing. By March, all it takes is one major rain storm to really mess up northeast snow conditions. The warm fronts with rain track straight up from the southeast into NY and New England. Then usually followed by a cold front from Canada that freezes everything up.

Mt. VanHo has a Snow Factory. So they can start making snow on the trails in late October to make sure they are ready for training camps in November. By January, I assume all the trails are in great shape.

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks, January for XC skiing in the NE of the USA it is. I imagine a week out at Mt. Van Ho. and the Lake Placid area in general would scratch the itch.

MarzNC likes this.
  39. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

Well work trip to the US has been cancelled due to covid-19, thus no Snowbird trip for me post work thing :(
    Booo!

40. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Yep. Better chance of skiing in Central Park.

41. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Any word in US of resorts shutting like Europe?

42. MarzNC

So far, the larger resorts are making announcements similar to airlines and major hotel chains about what they are doing to stay open. For instance, making more space in food service areas for "social distancing" by taking out tables. Have seen a few posted on TheSkiDiva in the active COVID thread there. Those mentioned yesterday included Aspen, Stratton (in Vermont), Copper (someone skied there), Telluride. Also SkiUtah is making it clear that all Utah ski areas/resorts remain open.

A few smaller ski areas in the northeast have closed a few weeks earlier than usual. The first to decide was the family who own and operate Berkshire East and Catamount in western Massachusetts. They are small hills with a long history of serving local skiers. The announcement is very personal. Jon Schaefer chose to leave a high power job in finance in New York City a while back to help run and eventually take over the family business at Berkshire East. His father brought BEast out of bankruptcy decades ago. They bought nearby Catamount a few years ago. Both are doing well as they add summer activities to serve the NYC and Boston commuters.

https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

LDJ likes this.
  43. MarzNC

The Governor of Colorado is recommending that people over 60 seriously consider not traveling to the high country to ski during the remainder of the season. With outbreaks in the counties where Aspen and Vail are located, there is great concern about the lack of health care facilities in mountain towns to handle patients with respiratory issues. High altitude (over 9000 ft) doesn't help. The first case detected in Colorado was an American who was driven to lower altitude for treatment. He'd traveled in Italy in February and had symptoms but not severe.

I have a couple friends over 65 who were planning to meet up at Crested Butte in late March. Not sure what they will decide yet. Both are expert skiers, in excellent health, and not high risk from a medical history standpoint.

LDJ likes this.
  44. MarzNC

Trams and gondolas won't be running for the rest of the season. Special events are all being cancelled. Money is being refunded for lodging or event tickets. Unrelated people won't be forced to share chairlifts. A few resorts are closing early. So far, that doesn't include any owned by Vail Resorts or Alterra. GMs are sending out emails to their elists. Some are including how they are trying to take care of staff who will be out of work sooner than expected. Some are getting a little money, food, or other assistance so that Unemployment Insurance will kick in when it might not otherwise. Paid sick leave for at least two weeks is part of the deal for those who continue working. That's not always included for seasonal workers.

I don't expect any will be trying to extend the season as can happen when there are late season storms in April. But most larger destination resorts seem to be trying to hang on until the end of March. That's just a guess.

March 13, 2020, Freeskier (USA), this is being updated as new announcements are made
    https://freeskier.com/stories/ski-resorts-respond-to-coronavirus-with-lift-closures-canceled-seasons

45. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

All this news caused us to cancel. As well as the worry for getting in and out of country we might get to Big Sky and they shut the tram, lifts or whole resort. Oh well next year it is. Our troubles are only trivial compared to others

MarzNC likes this.
  46. MarzNC

Liftopia has started a growing list of ski resorts that are closing early, mostly due to COVID-19. Although there are some areas that would be closing about now due to low snow or too few paying customers any way. Attendance goes down after the U.S. mid-Feb national holiday long weekend. Once March spring break weeks are over, mostly there are just season passholders in many places that have enough snow for another week or three.

https://blog.liftopia.com/in-progress-ski-areas-that-are-now-closed/

47. MarzNC

Vail Resorts is shutting down all operations for at least a week. Will be making a decision about what happens next before Friday, March 20.

Have seen pictures of Mt. Snow taken today with people packed into a base lift line. Same happened at Tremblant. Someone who went to Loveland found business as usual, with many people not trying to do anything differently to avoid a possible infection. The was a petition by JH employees to shut down immediately.

Might not be many U.S. ski resorts open come Monday, March 16.

March 14, 2020, 6:30pm, Summit Daily
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-resorts-suspending-operations-sunday-through-march-22/
    "FRISCO — Vail Resorts Chief Executive Officer Rob Katz announced in a statement Saturday afternoon that the corporation will suspend the operations of all of its North American mountain resorts and retail stores beginning Sunday, March 15, through Sunday, March 22 due to concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19.

“And will use that time to reassess our approach for the rest of the season,” Katz wrote.
    . . ."

48. MarzNC

49. Chalkie

And the Governor of Colorado has ordered Colorado ski resorts to close - just got the news from Aspen Snowmass.

50. MarzNC

The full list and announcement from Colorado Ski.

https://www.coloradoski.com/covid-19

There was a death announced this morning. An elderly woman from Colorado Springs. Obviously was still quite active though. They are looking for close contacts from her participation at a multi-day bridge tournament in late Feb and early March. Not good.

That means Colorado has at least three separate outbreaks with evidence of community spread.

Chalkie likes this.