USA 2021-22 snow conditions/reports/ramblings

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Since the 2021-22 season in the USA seems to be more about snowstorms than COVID-19 adjustments, guess it's time to start a thread for trip photos and actual discussion of skiing, not just wishful thinking about a future trip.

Here's the planning thread:

I'm following the snow forecast for Colorado daily, if not more often, because I'll be skiing at Wolf Creek next week. There is a good chance that by the time I arrive and meet up with my ski buddies in Pagosa Springs, there will be 2 feet of fresh snow (sorry, not doing the metric conversion). Timing is good because we check into the cabin I found on VRBO months ago on Dec. 11.

OpenSnow as of Dec. 6
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.45.56 PM.jpg

Last edited:

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
To put the start of the N. American season in perspective, here are opening dates for assorted Ikon/Epic resorts, plus others that I happen to be curious about for one reason or another. I've got friends who ski in all over the USA. Note that the terrain open is still very limited everywhere, reguardless of whether a ski area has 100 acres, hundreds of acres, or over 2000 acres.

VR still hasn't announced opening dates for Northstar and Heavenly. Original target was Nov. 19. Tahoe is really hurting because of lack of snow so far.

OCT-NOV OPENING DATES IN USA (Thanksgiving Nov 25) - last updated 24Nov2021
* Epic
** Ikon, Alterra
***Ikon, Partner

Oct 16: Wolf Creek, CO - weekend only
Oct 17: Arapahoe Basin, CO - 7-day operations
*Oct 22: Keystone, CO - snowmaking started by 11Oct
**Oct 29: Palisades Tahoe, CA - 3 weeks early due to 3 foot storm, was 23Nov
**Oct 29: Mammoth, CA - early
Oct 30: Loveland, CO- snowmaking started 11Oct

**Nov 6: Killington, VT
*Nov 12: Breckenridge, CO
*Nov 12 Vail, CO
Nov 15: Sugar, NC
***Nov 18: Sunday River, ME; Boyne - day tickets starting 21Nov
**Nov. 19: Crystal, WA
Nov 20: Cataloochee, NC (Indy)
**Nov 20: Winter Park, CO
**Nov 22: Copper, CO
***Nov. 23 Brighton, UT; Boyne
***Nov 23: Solitude, UT - delayed from 19Nov as of 16Nov
Nov 24: Grand Targhee, WY (MCP) - delayed from 19Nov as of 18Nov
***Nov 24: Alta, UT - delayed from 20Nov as of 18Nov
*Nov 24: Snowbasin, UT
**Nov 24: Sugarbush, VT
***Nov 24: Stratton, VT
*Nov 24: Afton Alps, MN - delayed from 19Nov as of 15Nov
**Nov 24: Snowshoe, WV
*Nov 25: Sun Valley, ID
***Nov 25: Jackson Hole, WY
***Nov 25: Snowmass, CO
*Nov 25: Telluride, CO
Nov 25: Wolf Creek, CO - open for Thanksgiving and weekends in Nov, closed Mon-Wed early Dec
***Nov 25: Taos, NM
Nov 25: Lutsen, MN (Indy) - open Nov 25-28, Dec 3-5, daily starting Dec 10
***Nov 26: Mt. Bachelor, OR
Nov 26: Whiteface, NY
*Nov 26: Hunter, NY - delayed from 19Nov as of 15Nov, announced 24Nov
Nov 26: Jay Peak, VT
*Nov 26: Stowe, VT - delayed from 19Nov as of 15Nov, announced 23Nov
Nov 26: Bretton Woods, NH - announced 23Nov
***Nov 26: Loon, NH
Nov 26: Jiminy Peak, MA - announced 24Nov
Nov 26: Beech Mountain, NC - announced 25Nov
Nov 27: Gore, NY - announced 23Nov
Nov 27: Belleayre, NY - announced 23Nov
**Nov 27: Stratton, VT
Nov 27: Wachusett, MA (near Boston) - announced 24Nov
*Nov 28: Park City, UT - delayed from 19Nov as of 12Nov, Canyons only to start with

***Dec 1: Snowbird, UT
*Dec 1: Park City, UT - first open trails on PC side, very short notice
Dec 1: Cannon, NH
*Dec 3: Kirkwood, CA
Dec 3: Boyne Mountain, MI - Dec 3-5, 7-operations start Dec 10
*Dec 3: Wilmot, IL
Dec 3: Timberline, WV - Preview Weekend Nov. 27-28 open to anyone
***Dec 4: Windham, NY
Dec 8: Ski Cooper, CO

Reactions: Born2ski

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
@summit_32 : are you still in DC? Check out the fun that DC folks had at Timberline during Preview Weekend. Unlike other resorts, anyone could buy a lift ticket. The preview wasn't just for pass holders. Jim takes great photos for action and scenery. He's been skiing all over the USA for 60+ years. I've been lucky enough to ski with him both in the Mid-Atlantic and out west.

Reactions: summit_32

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
@Lachlan skellet : good thing you weren't at Park City yesterday. Too little terrain and a long wind hold stranded people who needed to download on the Red Pine Gondola on the Canyons side. I've never skied Canyons so can't provide any insight about the situation.

December 6, 2021 (USA)

Reactions: Lachlan skellet

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Still looking good for the bigger storm that starts later this week. I've never followed Colorado weather this closely before. Mostly because I ski at lot more in Utah or Montana. Also because my trips to the Rockies usually involve flying so the dates are locked in. This will be the first day driving, which provides flexibility for the arrival and departure dates.

In general OpenSnow does a great job keeping up with the changing situation. While the Extended Forecast is about the same, the Short Term Forecast today was quite different than yesterday. Even included the storm totals for a pretty long list of Colorado ski areas/resorts. Copper, Breck, and Telluride each got 4-5 inches overnight. Only an inch or so at ABasin, Keystone, and Aspen/Snowmass.

OpenSnow Daily Snow for Colorado, morning of Dec. 7
Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.06.21 AM.jpg

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Wolf Creek got the goods. Storm total on the order of 30 inches. All the lifts were running by this afternoon. Essentially 100% open but thin cover in the usual places. Apparently most of the snow was relatively wet so good for building up the base, which is sorely needed. Then several inches of dryer snow towards the end.

Lots of locals out today (Saturday) who were very relieved to have more than a couple lifts running.

Operations is pretty much pre-pandemic normal. Food service indoors is popular. Very few people were masked. There are large plastic sheets separating the employees from the serving line. There was a microphone for placing an order. Group lessons are being offered.

Wolf Creek 11Dec2021 - 1.jpeg

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
@Lachlan skellet : good thing you weren't at Park City yesterday. Too little terrain and a long wind hold stranded people who needed to download on the Red Pine Gondola on the Canyons side. I've never skied Canyons so can't provide any insight about the situation.

December 6, 2021 (USA)
It's never a problem during normal operations but at the time, they were reliant on 100% snowmaking at mid-mountain elevation on the canyons side requiring loading and downloading of the red pine gondola to get to / out off the open terrain. When the winds closed the gondola, they couldn't get anyone out. Eventually, they opened a run to the bottom of tombstone lift that had pretty poor snowmaking coverage and transported people out by road back to the village from there.

Bit of a shambles that left the resort red-faced for sure.

Forecast for another large snowfall mid-week that should see all the utah resorts open more terrain.

Avalanche conditions have been setup to have another dangerous start to the winter. Not quite as wide spread as the problem that existed in last years disastrous setup, but not too different.

Reactions: MarzNC

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Most of the west has received a bunch of snow in the last week and a bit more forecast in the next little bit.

Photos from Friday last week.
6ACE56E5-EED7-4D0D-8A00-24FEFD9F1A63.jpeg
9E1E2767-E918-4507-90C8-B6CE79BC12DD.jpeg
88A88816-FB24-46D4-BF6B-300CB244F3FD.jpeg
Video from this morning at snowbird.

But it’s busy on the mountains. Weekday powder day lines:

The limited terrain openings thus far should give way to more extensive options in the next few days.

Avalanche danger is ramping up with lots of remote and naturally triggered avalanches. Unfortunately, this trend through at least the first third of the season. Will require a major storm cycle or many large snow storms to deeply bury, compress and insulate the rotten early season snow from October & November.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
We look like we will be in Park City late in the first week of Feb 22 for 5/6 days and then on to Jackson Hole for a similar time period.

I'm concerned that the 18yr old travelling solo with us, (who doesn't really want to Ski/Board with Dad) could do with some ski buddies her own age.

Anybody aware of any guided programs at these places where she might be able to meet up and ski with others?

Please no suggestions like "tinder", she is after all my daughter :)

Reactions: Roymond

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Tough one...

You could book her into a group lesson. She'll be in the adult group.

She could go to the resort 'Mountain Tour' (usually there's an every day meeting spot at every resort for a free tour of the mountain by a host) and see if she could ingratiate herself with people random people also doing the mountain tour.

She could look up group-activity social media like www.meetup.com or you / she could post on the facebook group 'Ask (Park City, UT)'

Less helpful but in the tinder category....... she could jump on on the 'Mutual' app which is the mormon dating app popular in utah... Might be less crude but runs the risk of a marriage proposal (lol).

Here's some more photos of Park City and surrounds in the last week:

1FD1D6CE-91AB-4CEA-8F45-CAA59F15BA43_1_105_c.jpeg1834B528-D3EA-481A-8978-ED417C7B4B47_1_105_c.jpeg53D6582D-8AA4-45B6-9D2A-06224FC5A61F_1_105_c.jpeg
93527C44-E4D1-4D1C-BC1E-6A041BD1612F_1_105_c.jpeg

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
We look like we will be in Park City late in the first week of Feb 22 for 5/6 days and then on to Jackson Hole for a similar time period.

I'm concerned that the 18yr old travelling solo with us, (who doesn't really want to Ski/Board with Dad) could do with some ski buddies her own age.

Anybody aware of any guided programs at these places where she might be able to meet up and ski with others?

Please no suggestions like "tinder", she is after all my daughter :)
Does it really need to be someone in her age group, or just someone who isn't her father? I know a professor who retired to Park City some years ago who is a great guide for PC and Deer Valley. She was a ski buddy's Ph.D. advisor before retirement.

That's a vacation week for schools in several states in the northeast and on the Pacific coast, so there will undoubtedly be high schoolers around. Is she on the shy side or outgoing?

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Seems like they've had a lot more than that? Impressive stats regardless....epic start to the season in USA & Canada overall IMO
Per usual depends on the region. Mammoth and Tahoe have been reporting big snowfalls but only very recently. Colorado is still hurting for snow. Very few of the major resorts Colorado are over 60% open as of Dec. 27. Utah is getting snow but also high winds. Not the best situation for building a solid base for the rest of the season.

I realize that Australians don't care about any of the skiing east of the Mississippi, but most of the ski areas/resorts in those regions are barely open for the Christmas week. It's been far too warm for good snowmaking in December leading up to the holiday period.

Reactions: sli1

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
For Tahoe, there is far too much snow to be good for resorts this holiday week. Roads are going to be closed for a while. Even guests at slopeside lodging won't have many lifts running because no one else can move around.

December 26, 2021 (USA)

December 27, 2021 (USA)

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Continues to snow and it's quite cold for Utah around -15'c on the mountain. It's busy at the resorts (all of them) and in town (park city) with lots of holiday makers. Park City (vail) has announced they will require face coverings in Gondola's only, from tomorrow, due to the Omicron spike in cases.

Today in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah:

Reactions: whether and MarzNC

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Vail Resorts made a corporate decision today that masks will be required in gondolas starting Dec. 29, 2021.

December 28, 2021, Utah (USA)

December 28, 2021, Colorado (USA)

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I don't normally pay that much attention to Tahoe, but it's nice to see detailed updates for Palisades Tahoe. The screenshot is only part of the latest blog entry. It's quite a contrast to the way Northstar handles communications on their website. There is a link to updates that are posted on Twitter.

The storm total will be around 120 inches in just over a week by the time it completely moves out.

December 28, 2021 (USA)

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 12.58.20 AM.png

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
The first major outbreak of Omicron at a destination ski resort is happening at Killington in Vermont. That's a small state that tried to use stringent travel restrictions during the 2020-21 season to keep COVID-19 out. Detected cases started rising in Vermont and the northeast in general in early November. Hospitalization numbers looked like they peaked in mid-Dec. Killington is owned by Powdr, is on Ikon, and has plenty of regulars who make the drive from Boston or New York City.

December 30, 2021 (USA)

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just a rambling. Not news really, happens all the time.
I’ve been evacuated off that lift but I was fodder for patrol training. Did it when I worked in Vail too.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Unusual situation outside the mountains. Very high winds over 100 mph made it impossible to fight the fire. Best guess is that a downed power line started the fire. Very scary situation for a lot of people. Many homes and businesses are a total loss.

December 30, 2021 (USA)

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Does it really need to be someone in her age group, or just someone who isn't her father? I know a professor who retired to Park City some years ago who is a great guide for PC and Deer Valley. She was a ski buddy's Ph.D. advisor before retirement.

That's a vacation week for schools in several states in the northeast and on the Pacific coast, so there will undoubtedly be high schoolers around. Is she on the shy side or outgoing?

Pretty outgoing, and yes probably anyone but dad :) Hope its not too crowded....

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Pretty outgoing, and yes probably anyone but dad :) Hope its not too crowded....
I'll see if I can help you make contact beforehand with the retired professor in Park City.

That week of Feb will be more crowded than early Feb, but nothing like the winter break weeks. Most importantly there will be a lot more terrain open than was the case in late Dec. In general, spring break weeks are scattered across a couple months so there isn't the same crush of travelers using Epic passes for their one big ski vacation of the season.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
I'll see if I can help you make contact beforehand with the retired professor in Park City.

That week of Feb will be more crowded than early Feb, but nothing like the winter break weeks. Most importantly there will be a lot more terrain open than was the case in late Dec. In general, spring break weeks are scattered across a couple months so there isn't the same crush of travelers using Epic passes for their one big ski vacation of the season.

Weird coincidence - One of my better friends, (I was his best man and he was mine) is Senior Associate Dean of Faculty at Wake Forest University (Health and Exercise Science), Aussie boy from Perth we studied together at UWA. :)

As in WFU is in NC ....

Last edited:

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Weird coincidence - One of my better friends, (I was his best man and he was mine) is Senior Associate Dean of Faculty at Wake Forest University (Health and Exercise Science), Aussie boy from Perth we studied together at UWA. :)

As in WFU is in NC ....
Small world :) WFU is in Winston-Salem about 90 min drive from my house. I drive thru there going between my house near Raleigh and Asheville where my daughter is finishing college.

We had snow for a few hours in central NC yesterday. Only weird because the day before it was in the 70s!

The NC mountains got 4-5 inches. More importantly snowmaking temps have returned and still stay for a couple weeks. The mountains in the southeast are pretty much having to start over from scratch because of a recent heatwave followed by a couple days of hard rain.

My home mountain in northern Virginia (a couple hours west of Washington DC) was a big winner. Massanutten got 8 inches of natural snow. They will able to have 24-hour snowmaking for a few days. Great for me since I'm going next weekend for my annual timeshare week.

Reactions: Born2ski and sli1

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Going to be quite a few new chairlifts in the USA in the next year or two. Some are being built in Colorado. Not just for Epic or Ikon resorts. There are many other ski areas/resorts with upgrade and replacements plans in place.

December 27, 2021 (USA)

Reactions: Born2ski

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
A few more pics and comments from my trip to Wolf Creek Ski Area (WCSA) in southeast Colorado, ski days were Dec. 11-18. Two feet Dec. 9-10 and another foot Dec. 14-15. WCSA was the only ski area 100% open that week, starting on Dec. 11. It typically has relatively deep snow during early season.

While there are travelers who drive from New Mexico or Oklahoma, not many bother to make the drive from North Carolina. It was 1900 miles from my house. Thoroughly enjoyed my relatively new RAV4 Prime. Most of the drive was done with my sky buddy from Cleveland, Ohio. Since I decided months ago to drive, that made it possible to do bonus skiing the Saturdays at the start and end to take advantage of the snowstorms.

My two ski buddies and I spent three days exploring WCSA in February 2021, so we had a pretty good idea of the layout. There is 1600 acres, a couple high speed lifts on the front side, plus three fixed grip lifts, and a short lower mountain high-speed quad that's a collector for a lot of tree terrain. A bit less than Alta but plenty of variety and far more tree terrain. We did a full-day lesson with the same instructor we worked with before. Sumiko happens to be from where I live. Pretty sure her parents skied in Japan before moving to North Carolina. For an early season trip, I like to have a lesson to get the season started out productively. The bonus was that conditions on lesson day were good enough to make doing the hike up above the Alberta lift worth the effort. Always helps to have an instructor who can carry skis.

Since we were all 65+, day tickets were $51 plus $43 for the final Saturday afternoon. Food was surprisingly good at the cafeteria. WCSA doesn't limit ticket sales because they don't need to worry about crowds. The vibe is nothing like a destination resort on Ikon. It's become my favorite for early season for sure. Also in my personal Top Ten in the big mountains in the western USA.

Sunday was first full day Wolf Creek was 100% open, locals were very happy
WCSA fresh snow 12Dec2021.jpeg

Midweek storm, 14 inches with high winds, delayed opening on Wednesday morning
WCSA storm 15Dec2021.jpeg

Blue skies after the storm, snow was a good density to pack down over obstacles
WCSA powder 2 16Dec2021.jpeg

Ridge hike is short, the stairs in one direction make it easy to get over the rocks
Didn't ski in that direction because there wasn't enough coverage yet
WCSA hike stairs 17Dec2021.jpeg

Final afternoon, we found a new "bowl" off Coyote Park Trail
WCSA Coyote powder 18Dec2021.jpeg

Reactions: Born2ski and aazz

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Covid infections are going nuts all over, including the USA. Park City has re-introduced mask mandates for all public indoor venues and 'waiting in lines'. Guess that means lift lines as well, waiting for PCMR / Deer Valley to confirm it on their socials but that's how it reads. Sundance Film Festival moved to online only again this year. Feels like we're straight back to January 2021.

Reactions: Voodude

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Covid infections are going nuts all over, including the USA. Park City has re-introduced mask mandates for all public indoor venues and 'waiting in lines'. Guess that means lift lines as well, waiting for PCMR / Deer Valley to confirm it on their socials but that's how it reads. Sundance Film Festival moved to online only again this year. Feels like we're straight back to January 2021.
Depends on the region and state. Ironically the ski resorts in the Rockies are having to adjust more than those in New England. The difference in vaccination rates is part of the reason. The fact that masking has been required indoors from the start of the season is obviously a factor.

Taos was requiring masking indoors and vaccination for indoor dining all along. That's where I and quite a few friends are headed in early February. Many are from New England and seniors so they were happy with the COVID rules for TSV when they were finally published.

Masking was quite good at Wolf Creek in December. The locals appreciated having indoor dining open and seemed quite willing to do what it takes to keep it that way.

As is being discussed in the Rona threads, detected case numbers with Omicron are not really worth worrying about. From what I can tell, hospitalizations in Utah aren't increasing drastically. Daily admissions in early Jan are lower than a month ago. However, more seniors 70+ are being admitted. Probably most unvaccinated or vaccinated but thought that meant no need to take any other precautions like masking or staying away from large groups over the holidays.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
The problem is that covid is limiting operations both on the mountain and off-mountain. Staff are getting infected (vaccinated or not) and needing to be off causing further short-staff for restaurants, bars and on-mountain operations which were already short-staffed due to housing crunch / not paying enough / low unemployment.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
The problem is that covid is limiting operations both on the mountain and off-mountain. Staff are getting infected (vaccinated or not) and needing to be off causing further short-staff for restaurants, bars and on-mountain operations which were already short-staffed due to housing crunch / not paying enough / low unemployment.
Yep. That's an issue in all regions of N. America with ski resorts. Especially those with destination resorts. As opposed to regions like the southeast where ski areas are small and housing isn't quite as much of an issue as it is near big mountains.

There are other regional factors for why the Omicron surge varies by region but I won't get into that in this thread.

I know Alta was hit hard with positive staff tests over the holidays.

December 29, 2021 (USA)

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
That was crazy. Apparently that was after heli-bombing, they weren’t happy with the results and snowpack so went in for some boo shots and obviously, ended up with something a lot bigger than expected.

We should be cresting the danger of these big avalanche events and moving into a safer paradigm. Only trouble is this requires a few more storms and things look dry for the majority of the next 10 days.

miro67

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Been in Beaver Creek for the past 5 days, here for 3 weeks total. A couple of comments:

- travel from Oz to the USA was painless (well other than the time required)
- snow is plentiful and good quality -big snow the week prior to our arrival fixed a low snow issue
- the slopes are busier than I would have liked but the view is that next week will see far fewer people around
- annoyingly, due to staff shortages apparently, only 70% of the runs are open, BUT that overstates the situation as there are also a lot less runs being groomed every day. Which runs are open vary by day but there is a lot of virgin snow sitting on runs that haven’t opened maybes this season.
- covid is a non issue here, other than wearing masks to enter food places, you wouldn’t know it existed
- there seem to be more Spanish speaking people in America than English!!

Anyway two more weeks ahead of us, and having a good time. We will head over to Vail for a few days next week as well.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
- there seem to be more Spanish speaking people in America than English!!
Are you thinking about staff or guests at Beaver Creek?

Under normal circumstances I know there are many well-heeled people who ski at Vail and BC from South America and Mexico. The initial outbreak of COVID-19 in March 2020 was started by a large group of rich folks from Mexico City who do an annual ski week. They infected their housekeepers and other house staff after getting home.

Whatever group are the new immigrants do a lot of service work . . . housekeepers, food service, cashiers at ski resorts are often Spanish speakers these days. Includes young adults on J-1 visas from South America even at small hills in the southeast or New England. Most of them have never skied before.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
A friend (also from the southeast) spent a few days at Taos this week. She's a regular because she has family in NM and used to live there. She noted staffing issues severely impacted the food service options at the base. There aren't that many options at Taos in general. Good thing a new grocery store opened up in on the ground floor of the new Blake condo building. She'll be part of a fairly large group of Ski Divas and friends who are headed to Taos in early February.

miro67

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Re the Spanish speaking, clearly a large majority of staff but also a big chunk of skiers.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Yeah, lots of Mexican / Brazilians come to the USA for skiing. Add to that the staff who are often j1 / h2b staff and the fact ~13% of the USA population speaks Spanish as a first language and you hear Spanish around a lot. It’s one of the jarring things crossing the border to Canada. You stop seeing all the Latinos and start seeing the Aussies/kiwis/Brit’s on WHV and other nationalities (pacific island/asians) in restaurants/service workers.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I don't know how seasonal workers will be able to afford to work a season this year anywhere 'cause if they get struck down with covid and miss 1-2 weeks of work / pay they won't be able to live, would be very tough......

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I don't know how seasonal workers will be able to afford to work a season this year anywhere 'cause if they get struck down with covid and miss 1-2 weeks of work / pay they won't be able to live, would be very tough......
There are at least some resorts that are paying for sick leave even for seasonal workers.

That said, staff housing and other aspects of finding employees are a huge issues in all regions for the ski industry in the USA.

There are many resorts and smaller ski areas that are not offering group lessons at all. Lack of instructors is the issue, not worry about having instructors around paying customers.

Reactions: FourSquare04
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass