1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question USA Car Hire

Discussion in 'United States' started by Sean Sunley, May 4, 2019.

1. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

I'm planning on driving San Fran to Denver (visiting Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Park City, Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge, and Keystone) in Jan 2020. First time in USA, will 2wd be okay or should I hire a AWD?

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

What will the weather be? If the weather is good 2WD will be fine. If the weather is bad, AWD will be useful. It also depends on the type of rubber in your tyres. 2WD with snow tyres is probably better than AWD with summer rubber.

The US is very good at getting roads cleared quickly, but there are occasions where more traction is useful. I once drove between Santa Fe and Albuquerque - not where you expect bad conditions - and there was carnage beside the road. I have also driven around Tahoe in a 2WD without any problems, The message? It depends where you are and what is happening in the sky at a particular time.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

4. Gregah

Gregah Addicted

Absolutely agree with you Legs. However, given specifying snow tyres on your SUV is an impossibility on rentals out of San Fran (see thread "US Car hire with winter tyres… sorry, I don't know how to create the link) its all a bit academic. Sean, I've been on exactly the same car hire journey in the last month. The unfortunate reality seems to be that you cannot "lock in" an AWD / 4WD. The best you can do is specify an "SUV" then request an AWD / 4WD variant on a no promises basis. Winter tyres, as sensible as they seem for what you will be undertaking, are a fantasy in US rental land. Best you can hope for are a good set of M+S all season tyres.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

that's quite bizarre about the AWD.

Quite easy and reliable in Canada, and on top of that, AFAIK by law all SUVs have to have M&S tyres

6. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

He’s talking about winter tyres (completely different to M+S).

7. Gregah

Gregah Addicted

And here's what my Hertz contract says "Rentals commencing between Oct 01-Mar 31 in areas that experience winter weather will be equipped with all season tires, ice scraper and de-icer washer fluid." Clearly, if I were hiring out of Salt Lake City there would be no ambiguity in this statement. But hiring out of San Francisco, does it experience "winter weather" (whatever that means...)?

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Is 2 separate hires a possibility? One day hire to get you to Truckee and then a hire from there for the rest of the trip. Truckee definitely experiences winter weather.

Gregah likes this.
  9. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just hire an SUV with M+S rated rubber - it's the best you can do and has always served me well. In all my years of renting SUVs out of LAX/SFO, we have never once arrived to find the car didn't have M+S hoops, but just check when you collect. Pop into a big auto/snow outlet, grab yourself a small shovel and plastic ice brush/scraper and you're set.

Looking at the current Hertz SFO fleet, your best bet will be a Nissan Pathfinder.

Your bigger issue will be the one way rental - the big depots don't like losing their cars and charge accordingly. I just did a dummy on a 3-week booking - $2k if returning to SFO, $3k returning to DEN. Unavoidable but be aware.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  10. gareth_oau

yeah, and from his post, it seems the M&S is a bit of a negotiated lottery too

11. Gregah

Gregah Addicted

That's good to know. And have you ever had an LAX/SFO pickup where the hire company tried to give you a 2WD SUV or have they always been the AWD/4WD model variants?

12. mx_boarder

I have never had to swap cars on pickup at SFO/LAX due to non-M&S rubber. It's more or less a given on any SUV these days.

gareth_oau likes this.
  13. mx_boarder

That can be a question mark if the car you've reserved is available in both configs - you won't really know until you get there. AFAIK, Pathfinder is not available as a 2WD so a safer bet.

That said - in the low/mid range space, there's a bit of uncertainty until you get there no matter what you do. Reserve a Pathfinder and you may arrive to find a Ford Explorer waiting for you, hence 'Or Similar' when you select the car online. Don't stress - they will be able to tweak the booking and get you into a 4WD something on the spot.

My advice - join Hertz Gold Plus Rewards before you book. It's free, and means on arrival at the SFO rental car garage you can skip the half hour queue of punters trying to book Corollas, head straight down to the Gold Rewards/upgrades desk in the garage, and be well looked after.

Sean Sunley and Gregah like this.
  14. gareth_oau

yeah I can't understand why not. I dont think car hire companies would want their cars getting pranged all the time

mx_boarder likes this.
  15. mx_boarder

Even the pathetic standard hoops on my Forester were M+S rated. I am sure there's competency variance across brands, but regardless, M+S 'anything' will be better than standard road car rubber. Drive to the conditions and you'll be fine.

Gregah likes this.
  16. gareth_oau

LOL - great theory

17. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

See what form of 2WD the SUVs have. If it defaults to FWD, you're OK. RWD is not your friend in snow.

18. Barras

Barras Hard Yards

I would also check out the CDOT website, as last month it was being reported that the government was looking at changing the law over what tyres and traction devices all vehicles need to have on the i70

Gregah likes this.
  19. Gregah

Gregah Addicted