USA RV trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by bullet, Nov 28, 2018.

1. bullet

bullet One of Us

While in the USA in August we are considering hiring an RV, and touring around Eldorado NP, Yosemite and Sequoia.

Im not 100% on the idea yet, not knowing where to stay etc.
    The idea is to stay mobile while staying in some nice locations. Im wondering if anyone has done something similar, or knows a bit about this sort of thing.

The things that concern me,
    1. Dump points, if not in caravan park etc is there any in roadside rest stops etc
    2. Water, again if not in a park where would i get water etc for the RV.
    3. Safety, is it safe enough to stay through the NP's in the USA in the campgrounds etc(i assume it would be?)

The area around LOON LAKE in Eldorado for example looks very nice.
    Do these types of areas get busy?
    Thanks.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Gold Bruce

Yosemite is probably already booked out.
    August is summer and peak season in the US. The main tourist traps will be extremely busy.

coolair likes this.
  3. bullet

bullet One of Us

Ok thanks, so i just had a look and it seems that you can not book for August till April 15th.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Gold Bruce

Then it will be booked out on April 16.

5. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

6. Kletterer

Kletterer Loading Dock Manager
    Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

Stay at Tuolumne instead. Its colder but August is mild. Or there are roadside spots at El Portal. Crane Flat is also an option.

7. bullet

bullet One of Us

Yep it looks amazing.
    Ill keep looking into it.

8. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Answers to some questions-

Dump stations with potable water are common at interstate rest areas. Otherwise, National and state parks will always have the same so it’s easy plan after a few days at more rustic campsites.

Safe? Do you mean from crazy gun toting Americans? For the most part yes. Weapons are not allowed in national parks, and visitors tend to be more sane.

If you can travel the latter part of August the crowds should diminish since lots of schools start then (though I could be wrong about California...I’m from Seattle).

I favor Montana, Washington, And Canada for camping (much less crowded), but did find Yosemite scenery amazing. Some years back did a two week trip from Seattle mid/late August to Lassen peak (drive thru), lake Tahoe (beautiful), June lake/Mono Lake (cool walk to non- commercial ghost town nearby), and Yosemite. Loved every bit of it.

Also consider Utah. Again several years ago did 2.5 weeks touring Utah state parks in September which is one of my all time favorite trips. Mostly Europeans that time of year.

PM me if you have more questions. I grew up camping in the Rockies in an airstream with my parents, and camped the west in a travel trailer for years with my own kids/family.

chunky, bullet, climberman and 2 others like this.
  9. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Bodie might be the old gold mining town you're talking about. An hour or so drive from the eastern entrance to Yosemite, and then plenty of walking once you get there. Definitely recommended.

Attached Files:

Lonepeak, chunky and bullet like this.
  10. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Bodie was awesome. Did it in October last year and the day we visited they had a night photography tour on and I didn't know about it :( They only have them every a couple of times a year too :(

Summit likes this.
  11. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I saw some very scary footage of the drive in to Yosemite in their peak times. Go early - like really early before 7am if you have to. The traffic jam was bad and then you drive around for hours if you can't find a park. We went in the fall so we didn't have those issues.

bullet likes this.