USA Visa waiver change

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Is everyone aware of the change to the US visa waiver program from January 12 2009, in that you must download the waiver application online and get it approved before you leave home rather than fill it in on board your plane.
Travel agent didn't even tell us, heard through a friend.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I haven't been to the US for a long time....

So you can get into the US without a visa as long as you have a machine readable Aussie Passport???
(and download the waiver application online and get it approved before you leave home)

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
You MUST have a machine readable passport, (which i think all Australian ones issued after 02/03 are anyway) otherwise they won't let you in. Likewise the Visa waiver application now has to be done before you leave home. I've only been to/through the US in the past 6 years so had never needed a Visa anyway, and just filled in the green form on the plane, but now I have to remember to go online and do this before I go.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Green form is still ok until January, when the new electronic ("ESTA") authorisation system will be mandatory. The ESTA electronic form *can* be filled-in now, but if you do the ESTA form now (ie for arrivals before that date) you _still_ need to fill in the green form and submit it on arrival as well. Context: I flew into New York from Sydney last weekend; that's definitely how it was for me.

Information on current Visa Waiver Program: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Information on new Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

Last edited by a moderator:

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
Jindabyne :-)
My travel agent warned me about the electronic Visa Waiver Program thingy and I'm not even flying through the USA.

I do have one question though, what if you decided you want to drive, train, bus or walk into the USA on a spur of the moment decision???

Cherry Ripe

A Local
Jun 23, 1999
melbourne
Our travel agent emailed me about this. You can register online now, it's all the same questions you used to answer on the green form.

SnowYeti

One of Us
Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
BrumbyJack said:
I do have one question though, what if you decided you want to drive, train, bus or walk into the USA on a spur of the moment decision???

You won't be allowed in, you must do this when it's mandatory.

I am in the process of applying for my 5 year visa for US (B1/B2) so I can go in and out when I please and stay up to max 6 months at a time to avoid this problem ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass