1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Val D'Isere Skiing

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sean Sunley, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Spending a week at Val D'Isere in Jan 2018. Should I take my skis or hire specific skis for the area? Will my Thredbo all mountain skis do the job?

2. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Are you an off-piste person? With experience and the gear? Or stick to the runs?

3. Sean Sunley

Being a first timer to the area I will probaly stick to the runs.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

All mountain skis should be fine.

Kimski and Sean Sunley like this.
  5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

For the novelty value , you should ski Vallee Purdue .

NewTurns likes this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Skiing on piste Val is fairly benign. There are not many difficult pistes. Face Bellevarde when it is a little slick (and it is awesome fun in fresh). The exits from Bellevarde and Solais are interesting late in the day, but that is ice and crowds. There is lots of moderate off-piste to be had ducking off the pistes. Most of the hard terrain is not marked and is best accessed in the tender care of a guide. If you don't know where you are going you can end up on the wrong side of a cliff band.

NewTurns likes this.
  7. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

Unless you get fresh snow, you will need to sharpen your edges to cling to the ice particularly at the end of the day. They only had one decent fall last January, with a lot of freeze and thaw in between. There was insufficient snow to safely go off piste. All mountain skis or carver skis will be fine.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  8. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

For a week's skiing, given the cost and general PITA of carting your own skis to Europe and back, I'd say unless you are truly in love with them and can't imagine skiing on anything else, leave them behind and hire.

9. doddles

doddles Hard Yards

Don't know what it costs to take the skis with you, but hiring options are plenty in Val and the quality of hired skis can be very high. Also, snow conditions can vary enormously (even within a week) and hiring gives you the option of swapping them for something else. Although you say you'll stay on piste, if there's a 50cm powder day, are you really going to avoid the powder, much of which will be available just off the side of the piste (or even on it)? That said, your skis will work just as well in Val as anywhere else and taking your own means that if that 50cm powder day is your first day in Val, you won't be waiting to rent skis while the best stashes are being tracked out by me and my mates :)

10. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Go as late as you can in Jan. With a bit of luck from the weather gods, you'll have the best week of your life.

La Face is great fun. So is everything else in Val'd.

I'd live in Val d'Isere if I could. Finest resort in Europe IMO

Sean Sunley, Annabuzzy and Nozawaman like this.
  11. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ski hire isn’t cheap in Val D and it’s easy to take your own. I took my k2 all mountain skis from Brisbane for a week in 2016. They were fine on the ice, fine in the 50cm powder and fine onpiste, realistically people go over the top on having the perfect ski. Every piste is different on the same day, modern skis are great and People used to ski on wooden planks! Val D is great and in my opinion tignes is even better (they are linked) so enjoy yourself

Sean Sunley and Chaeron like this.
  12. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

My wife rented skis in Val. Can confirm it was eye wateringly expensive.

13. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I was talking to a mate who used to work in a boot shop there. They were reaching the capacity of their building and didn't really want to sell any more boots as the owner was happy with the numbers, so they put the prices up 20% over rrp, everyone assumed that they were the best so their boot sales went up 40%!!!!!

14. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Haha that explains a lot

15. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

So instead of forking out for rental, spend the money on guides (who are also expensive but absolutely worth every penny) and you will enhance your val experience immeasurably.

Heres a vid from a couple of days with guides (if I may indulge...). Some of the best ski days i've had. If you make it to the four minute mark you will see the 'pisteurs couloir' (ski patrol coulior). Which is a classic show pony line at Tigne (ie looks impressive but is actually pretty easy in decent conditions). A must :)

CarveMan and Zeroz like this.
  16. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I did a weeks guided skiing at Val in a low snow year - well worth it.

What skis to bring depends on the conditions but as an all rounder I reckon around 88mm underfoot would be the sweet spot in Val.

17. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The main question I would be asking myself is how long am I going to Europe for .
    If the main purpose was the weeks holiday in Val ,I would probably take my skis .
    If I was going for more than a couple of weeks and was going to do a fair bit of other travelling , there is no way I would take skis
    Especially in January , I would do all the travelling first ,do Val last and maybe try and treat myself to a new set of skis in one of the cities that I was passing through, or even in Bourg St Maurice.
    If that failed just rent.
    I used to cart skis around at the beginning and end of the season between France and the U.K, with also a backpack and bootbag and it was a real pain in the backside.especially if you are using the Tube and Metro .

18. Sean Sunley

Back from Val D'Isere, it's just like Thredbo but 100 times bigger! Skiing wasn't a problem, only a couple of runs, like La Face, were steeper than Thredbo. As a cruiser I enjoyed the 8km blue runs.

person s, CarveMan and Untele-whippet like this.
  19. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

you just hit the 30yr storm at Val D my friend is there for the season and can’t find his car there is so much snow

20. Sean Sunley

Lost the first 2 1/2 days to heavy snow but the remaining 3 1/2 days where epic.