Valemount

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
Even Aspen is a pain to get to unless you take the risk of flying in there (not sure that I would).

How often do planes crash there?
We flew out of there and it was a convenient as all fk
I'd be more worried of flying into Bali with an unlocked boogie bag

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I haven't heard any response from Alpine Canada about Valemount, but I'm far from connected on that front. They have a summer facility on Farnham Glacier (basically at the location of the proposed Jumbo resort near Panorama) for the aspiring FIS athletes, but the national teams typically go to Chile or the European glacier facilities. Provincial teams from the west use Mt Hood (Oregon) or do the hike in to Farnham. So you'd think there would be interest for something with more amenities and accessibility, but a ski resort for the public and a training facility for athletes are not the same thing. The latter can exist within the former, but it takes time and money to develop facilities, and amateur ski racing organizations have little in the way of cash.

My take is Valemount is all about summer sightseeing. There's vastly more traffic past their door in summer than winter, and skiers from the large centres (Vancouver, Edmonton - 6 hours) and regional centres (Kamloops, Prince George - 3 hours) all have to drive past other well established resorts to get to Valemount. It'll be a while before we see actual resort style skiing there.

Reactions: essjaywhy

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass