Value-for-money accomm in Hakuba Valley

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Skipress, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Several value-for-money options on offer to skiers or snowboarders who stay at a 'new' hotel in the heart of the Hakuba Valley.

SkiJapan.com has acquired what was the “Square Hotel” and renamed it “Hakuba Gateway Hotel”. This will become the base operation for an Australian snow holiday company that has had a significant presence in Niseko for more than 20 years.

“We are very excited to announce the opening of our new hotel complex and expand our base of operations into the Hakuba Valley,” says Belinda White, SkiJapan.com's General Manager.
    What was previously known as “Square Hotel” is currently undergoing renovation but will retain its charm as a two and a half star property. Hakuba Gateway Hotel is positioned as an affordable accommodation that will gain popularity with Australian snow enthusiasts.

It is close to Happo-One Snow Resort's 21 lifts (including a gondola), numerous restaurants, resort shuttles and public buses. The hotel will also feature a rental/retail shop, restaurant, as well as SkiJapan.com guest services desk and ground transport.

Five nights accommodation in a Western Twin Share with Ensuite Room costs $1,056 AUD for 2 people ($528 per person) including breakfasts.

A seven-night option, also in a Western Twin Share with Ensuite Room, costs $1,478 AUD for 2 people ($739 per person) including breakfasts.

Rates include Gateway Early Bird Special 10% Discount (Book before 31 Aug) and are subject to exchange rate changes.

Another saving is holders of an Australia Epic Pass -that promises more snow less dough - could save about 26,600 Yen (about $320 AUS) if they ski or board the Hakuba Valley ski areas for five consecutive days.
    Contact SkiJapan.com for more information, bookings Tel: 1300 137 411
    Email: Enquiries@SkiJapan.com Website www.SkiJapan.com

Attached Files:

Sage Oya likes this.
  2. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

This looks interesting. I've not been to Japan and plan to go next winter (not this winter). Hakuba is an obvious place to dip your toe in the water as far as skiing in Japan is concerned.
    I find it hard to get a sense of perspective for Japan ski resorts as google maps doesn't show the lifts like it does in US, Canada and Europe.
    Is most of Happo One accomodation close to restaurants and is there a free shuttle that goes to the lifts close to most hotels?
    Is Happo One the best part of Hakuba Valley to stay for those that want to eat out?

3. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

@Donzah and @Sandy are better placed to answer this than me, but as no-one else has replied since your post ... There is a free shuttle service that will transport people around to the various Hakuba snow resorts (i didn’t get to Cortina but think this might have been a fee-for-service bus). Plenty of restaurants in Happo. I stayed in Wadano and loved it for the ambience, trees, and quiet (and there are several restaurants there), but it won’t suit everyone. Half an hour walk to Happo (I did it one cold night!) or a short taxi ride from Wadano.

4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

To be clear, Wadano is located around two of the 4 base areas of Happo One (Sakka & Kokusai). LP is meaning that it's a half hour walk from where she was in Wadano, to the cluster of hotels and restaurants around the Happo Gondola down to the Happo bus terminal, or further to the Nakiyama base area of Happo... and a little further to Echoland. (that has a lot of hotels and restaurants). i.e. Happo One has four base areas: Nakiyama, Happo Gondola, Sakka & Kokusai.

5. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

mmm had heard from Peter Murphy that they had bought a hotel. Now I know which one it is.
    Not sure what you mean about google maps not showing lifts in Japan. So long as I zoom in far enough I can see the lifts. And if you look at the satellite pic it is pretty obvious where they are.

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

7. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

My contact at SkiJapan.com says
    Best place to stay for food is definitely around the base of Happo One & Hakuba47 / Goryu.
    There are onsens too around the base of Happo One, so that would be my personal choice.

8. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

mmm not sure there is anywhere to stay at the base of Hakuba 47.

9. Stephen Allen

Stephen Allen Hard Yards

Checkout Echo Land, there's some funky little restaurants, bars etc and accommodation too.

10. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days
    Ski Pass - Silver

I have booked in to the Hakuba Gateway hotel. Hopefully its good. There is a walk to the Goryukin Hotel for b/f which is a bit inconvenient especially as it s the opposite way from the bus station and lifts. As far as I could see its the only value for money accommodation in a central location. No drying room either,

11. 2ESki

2ESki Hard Yards

Well you be right in the middle of everything :thumbs:

Mark*V likes this.