1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

VIC backcountry festival (Hotham, Sept 7 & 8) - call for tour leaders

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Cam Walker, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi all
    I'm starting to work on the program for this year's festival and would welcome any proposals from people who want to offer a tour or a skillshare.

A significant percentage of people who attended the 2018 festival were relative newcomers to the BC and the sessions on snow safety, snow camping, BC safety etc were very well received.

The idea is that we offer these sessions for free. I don't have the ability to pay people for their time but hopefully this year I can at least organise gate entry and maybe lift passes if you want them.

Please check here for details on what we're looking for >> https://backcountry-festival.com/whats-on/

There is a $10 rego fee this year, so that I don't run at a loss again. If you felt like registering, that would be great, and can be done here >> https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/vic-backcountry-festival-2019-tickets-55745536400

If you can't afford the $10, then please just email me and I will add you to the list: cam.walker@foe.org.au

Alpine Access Australia is offering 2 day AST 1 avalanche courses before the festival >> https://backcountry-festival.com/avalanche-safety-training-level-1/

What’s different in 2019?
    • The speaker’s program has been extended, with more sessions. This will happen on saturday September 7 at The General.
    • At this point we do not have a venue for the film festival (sat night). If you know of a suitable location at Mt Hotham/ Dinner Plain, please get in touch.
    • We’re looking into hosting a free 3 day camp on the Razorback for intermediate/ advanced skiers and riders from mon – wed Sept 9 – 11 for people who want to advance their backcountry skills and learn about snow camping.
    • we're hoping to host a 'backcountry bar' which will require a walk/ ski in

Check here for further details on the festival: https://backcountry-festival.com/

Now all we need is some snow!

nezumi and Tanuki like this.
  2. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi everyone.
    The festival is really starting to shape up.
    We're launching the program in the week of May 10.
    So far we have beginner and intermediate tours and some advanced in - XC, snow shoe, AT, tele and splitboarding.

Skillshares - snow safety, avalanches, first aid, snow camping 101, basics of ski mountaineering.

We don't have:
    - backcountry navigation
    - a XC tour run by and aimed at kids

Is anyone keen on doing a session on either of these?
    The program will be posted here by the end of May.
    https://backcountry-festival.com/

thanks, cam

3. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi all
    we launch the program this weekend.

We have tours offered in snow shoeing, tele, AT, XC and splitboarding, and skillshares in snow safety and snow camping 101, plus the basics of avalanche safety.

I would love to hear from you if you were keen to offer
    • a day or half day tour for people on alpine touring gear
    • a session on how to build snow caves or igloos
    • a navigation workshop

Please get in touch if you're keen or would just like some extra info. Thanks!

cam.walker@foe.org.au
    Cam

skifree, nezumi and PiedPiper like this.
  4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hi y'all ill probably ski resort friday arvo then dirtbag it at diamintina hut fri nigjt and maybe sat night ill bring the firewood. Doing the steve curtain filmamking studio sat morn then who knows sat arvo. Sunday might hook up w anyone doing not so knarly sidecountry like womens downhill etc

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi MR. The other dirt bag destination will be JB Plain. Great that you're coming up. 340+ registrations, its going to be awesome.

mr likes this.
  6. mr

Youve created a monster cam

7. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

I know. Slightly scared.

skifree and Telemark Phat like this.
  8. mr

Great day cam. Our door dirtbag bar a winner

9. Cam Walker