VIC backcountry get together, Sept 5 for World Tele Day

hello all

we never managed to get a date that worked for people for our annual get together at Hotham last winter. So I thought it wise to get in early for 2015!

Telemark Skier magazine have called a 'world tele day' (well, 2, the other one is for the northern hemisphere).

So i'd like to propose sat Sept 5 as the date for the VIC gathering: we could break with traditional and go out of resort: Feathertop, Loch/Machinery Spur or somewhere equivilent? Or we could be radical and go to BHPlains or Stirling ...

what do people reckon?

details on the event here.
https://www.facebook.com/events/761168753937539/

And as always - this would be open to all BC skiers/ boarders, not just those who follow the One True Religion.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Hi Cam, I think it's a great idea to get in early. I'm definitely in but I think locking down the location (Hotham, Stirling, elsewhere) fairly early might be good. Those of us who come from across the water need a destination to aim for :)

My personal vote would be for Loch/Machinery spur or somewhere out from Falls. I'd be up for a camp on the Friday & Saturday night also as long as I didn't have to haul my gear TOO far (I'm old and lazy remember.....)

Hi Cam, I think it's a great idea to get in early. I'm definitely in but I think locking down the location (Hotham, Stirling, elsewhere) fairly early might be good. Those of us who come from across the water need a destination to aim for :)

My personal vote would be for Loch/Machinery spur or somewhere out from Falls. I'd be up for a camp on the Friday & Saturday night also as long as I didn't have to haul my gear TOO far (I'm old and lazy remember.....)

Great that you're in. Be good to see you.

So, lets go with Loch/ Machinery. Its easy terrain to get to, with some decent steeps out there, making it accessible for all levels.

There's free car camping at JB Plain for those coming up early. Those who are staying around for the sunday could develop a Plan B - hang out in the resort, or check out some side country - Blowhard, etc, or head out on the Razorback.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I'll keep the date in the diary. Might be a bit of a challenge this year with having to work a day job in Adelaide and get to Jindy as often as I can. But a weekender to Loch sounds like a good distraction. :)

Reactions: Cam Walker

Rimey

One of Us
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide
Day 10, half way there. Camping trip next week.
A day off for a rest and the laundry, before it walks out the door.

A snap from yesterday, last day of our AST2 course.
Introducing my DPS Wailer 112 RPs to the good stuff.
These things are the closest you can get to automatic skis.
DSC08839a_zps97af9055.jpg

or https://www.facebook.com/mountainlifejp

Now ... back to your thread.

Last edited:

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
I'll keep the date in the diary. Might be a bit of a challenge this year with having to work a day job in Adelaide and get to Jindy as often as I can. But a weekender to Loch sounds like a good distraction. :)

Loch is on the way from Adelaide to Jindy isn't it? at least on my map anyway :)

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Loch is on the way from Adelaide to Jindy isn't it? at least on my map anyway :)

No.

And even more so no by air.

We have a regular bus service to Falls or Hotham in the Winter. To Jindy is by air to Canberra then a 2 hour drive.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
No.

And even more so no by air.

We have a regular bus service to Falls or Hotham in the Winter. To Jindy is by air to Canberra then a 2 hour drive.
I needed my tongue in cheek emoticon..... I can make anywhere on the way too anywhere else, just ask the poor souls who have ended up on a road trip with me.

For me, all trips start with a journey by air or water across Bass Strait.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I needed my tongue in cheek emoticon..... I can make anywhere on the way too anywhere else, just ask the poor souls who have ended up on a road trip with me.

For me, all trips start with a journey by air or water across Bass Strait.

I was just down that way last week. Vnice.

Reactions: almontyrat

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
Date place work for me as well as long as get some &^%$#@* snow. Otherwise we will all be heading to the very top of the big K to throw snowballs at each other.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
OK Folks, It's six weeks out so perhaps it's time we reignited this thread.
The plan so far is (IIRC) meet up somewhere in Hotham then ski from Loch car park along Machinery spur.
For those intending to camp, we could plan a dinner at JB Plain hut one night and the Dinner plain pub another perhaps? If every camper supplies a few pieces of fire wood, we should be able to get JB hut cooking all on it's own!

Let the ideas roll, there are 120 accepted invitations through the facebook page so far, can you imagine 120 left tele turns in synchronous across summit run?????

https://www.facebook.com/events/761168753937539/

Reactions: Ziggy

PiedPiper

One of Us
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
OOh just saw this thread! I'm def interested, Prob only the Sat though, most likely have to be back in melbs on sunday. Also good for nothing splitboarder here!!

Last edited:

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Are XC skiers welcome as well or will there be a "Tele" test before admission? ;)

got fond memories of Mt Loch after getting snowed in near Derrick Hut a long time ago.
We will also accept selected AT skiers but they may have to hide in the crowd for the enmasse ski down photo shoot.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
I hope to make it if I can find the knee I dropped. Will schlep across from Mt Beauty.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Knees shneez. My "good" knee is going to the knee doctor as it had a hissy fit while on the mainland. The "bad" knee however was a perfect angel.
As I have said before, in modern telemark, there will be no knee dropping or dragging! A compressed but active rear knee (and front for that matter) is the new way.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
A month this time Curra. Starting with the 2nd week in August at DP and then 3 weeks in the Beauty.

Ah, kneez. It's not the joint, it's the mind.

Reactions: almontyrat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
A month this time Curra. Starting with the 2nd week in August at DP and then 3 weeks in the Beauty.

Ah, kneez. It's not the joint, it's the mind.
Look forward to catching up with you. Are you staying in the same place?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
definitely more mobile. still not perfect but soooo much better. still pretty conservative in what I'm skiing but hope to push the boundaries a bit as we get more snow and better weather

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
99.9% out of this action.

Unless I get the sack (unlikely based on last up coming work briefing).

Have fun all an spread the good tele word.:woohoo:

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
As per Cam's blog, he's broken his leg in three places cartwheeling down Hotham's best boilerplate.

We may need a sit-ski option.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
As per Cam's blog, he's broken his leg in three places cartwheeling down Hotham's best boilerplate.

We may need a sit-ski option.
I have suggested that Cam will make an excellent Camp Coordinator and we can hand him all our cameras etc. to record our skiing efforts. I have every faith that he will be seen heading to Loch Spur crutches and all.