A whole host of others over 100mm

BOM were certainly on the money with this event

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic

Flood Summary​

Issued at 9:56 am EST on Thursday 10 June 2021.

The following Watches/Warnings are current:

Major Flood Warning for the Avon River

Major Flood Warning for the Latrobe River

Major Flood Warning for the Macalister River

Major Flood Warning for the Thomson River

Major Flood Warning for the Traralgon Creek

Moderate Flood Warning for the Goulburn River

Moderate Flood Warning for the Mitchell River

Flood Watch for Gippsland and parts of North East and central Victoria

Initial Minor Flood Warning for the Bunyip River

Initial Minor Flood Warning for the Dandenong Creek

Initial Minor Flood Warning for the Maribyrnong River

Initial Minor Flood Warning for the Werribee River

Initial Moderate Flood Warning for the Yarra River

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
We had 94mm for the 24 hrs to 7.30 this morning and it was still coming down. There is a metric shite load of flood water still to make its way down the Yarra.

We (as in society) have seriously gone backwards with communications when the power goes out. No Internet, no phone, no mobile service....quite pathetic. At least in copper days the phone still worked! Must buy some batteries for the old AM radio....
Half the office staff I work with are without power this morning. Many with phone batteries about to die. Many people ensure about venturing out...

Reactions: Chaeron and balmz

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Half the office staff I work with are without power this morning. Many with phone batteries about to die. Many people ensure about venturing out...

Problem we have in most of the Upper Yarra area is regardless of phone battery charge, there simply is no mobile signal. I assume the cell towers are without power or backup.
I'm posting from work in Boronia

chaser addict

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Bendigo
Very nervous midnight Gusty winds all way now, Lucky had told Conucil chop Font yard big branch faceing House and only small long branch fall down this morning.... Only had 4mm past 48hours

Reactions: Chaeron

chaser addict

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Bendigo
Wounderland wow nice
Snow.jpg

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
If you live, work, or are holidaying in the Traralgon Creek area you should evacuate now.

• Floodwaters are rapidly rising.
  • Flooding is expected to impact Milton Court, Tennyson Street, Moonabeal Court, Booth Court, Whittakers Road between Shakespeare Street and Princes Street, Davidson Street from the Traralgon Creek to Peterkin Street, Willow Court, George Street, Berry Street, Peterkin Street, Munro Street between George Street and Peterkin Street, Couchs Lane now.

cookieman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2013
Melbourne
That's a misleading message from Vic Emergency. The Yarra River Warrandyte to Abbotsford is NOT in MAJOR flood warning. It may hit Minor flood warning by Sunday. I walked the Yarra at Ivanhoe this morning and it was up but still a fair way before it may break its bank onto the golf course. The last time the lower Yarra was in a serious major flood was before we were born.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
That's a misleading message from Vic Emergency. The Yarra River Warrandyte to Abbotsford is NOT in MAJOR flood warning. It may hit Minor flood warning by Sunday. I walked the Yarra at Ivanhoe this morning and it was up but still a fair way before it may break its bank onto the golf course. The last time the lower Yarra was in a serious major flood was before we were born.
You are mixing terminology. Warnings can be issued for reasons beyond the minor/moderate/major flood LEVELs. Particularly if they have impacts on areas where people are not expecting it, or can have a major impact.

The warning systems form part of the all hazards approach, and the warning level is about potential impact rather than specific sizes

Ruckle

One of Us
Jul 8, 2019
Woodend VIC 578m ASL
Had some wild weather here, unfortunately so wild that my obs were effected since about 11 last night. pretty upset as would have been great data, power was off from 830 last night till 1230 then from 150am till 330 this afternoon.

Photos attached is how I discovered the weather station at 1245am this morning, was only able to stand it up at 4pm today so no rain or accurate wind data. It is worth noting at 4am , the anemometer placed that close to the ground recorded a gust of 47km/hr, that's incredibly high given a few cm off the ground near a fence and garden. The tree damage around the town and district would suggest winds to at least 120km/hr off and on for about 10 hours.
The bushy area in the centre of the other photo is the top of the gum tree that came down in the neighbours yard. Drove around town (without camera, idiot) and large trees down around all over the place. SES and power trucks all around, wife couldn't drive to Melbourne today on the closest road to freeway as blocked by several enormous gums. She was directed through the forest road to south of town and it was single lane as littered with big branches and entire trees.
Cemetery at end of our street has several new spaces for trees available including a tree that must be 20 or 30 metres high, without weight of leaves , that was across the powerlines.

Epic weather event.

We do get extra strong SSE winds locally due to the gap next to the mountain, which creates very windy days, usually in summer , when the rest of the state is just "breezy' and yesterday, last night and today we had a severe synoptic set up to support it. Result was carnage.

Also I emptied 79.4mm out of the manual gauge at 2pm today, that was from 850am yesterday (we had 30mm in the day and a half prior to that). The 79.4 is far far far from 100%, when the inner tube of the gauge overflows to the outer tube the lid loosens, for a period this morning the lid was blown off and landed 3 or 4 metres away. Though some of the 24hour to 9am obs on the BOM site, and the height of the creek in town support it being pretty close

Anyway , town is mess. Can hear chainsaws everywhere but we have heating and power atm!

Still gutted about the lack of wind data
icon_e_sad.gif

wind1.JPGwind2.JPG

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
The last few days have been a weather roller coaster. Tuesday saw a sunny morning but we could see things brewing towards the east.

IMG_4609.jpg

That put on a brief burst of tiny hail that afternoon

IMG_4618.jpg

Wildest of storms last night from several hours from a little after midnight. On top of a hill in the northeast foothills, it seemed we were buffeted from all sides. I don’t recall ever having such strong wind roar up the hill, so we didn’t get much sleep. We’d hear it from 30 seconds away, bracing as it slammed into the floor to ceiling windows, expecting to hear shattering glass each time. We’d hear little creaks and cracks as it bowed inwards, but fortunately no breakage

By morning, we’d chalked up almost 44mm. In a bizarre twist, we didn’t lose power. For now. We’re usually the first to lose it! We couldn’t keep up with the phone beeps from the Vic Emergency app. This morning ws still wild and windy but eased off a little after midday. Looked around outside, expecting the usual damage for such storms. We will rebuild;)

IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4623.jpg

This was a few days ago, and we usually have a view of the city skyline here. If you can’t get to the mountains because of lockdowns, then the mountains will come to you.

IMG_4602.jpg

Who says you can’t move mountains? And then we got this. Isn't the saying “there’s a pot of rainbows at the end of every lockdown”. Or something like that ;)

IMG_4626.jpg

This afternoon looked ominous, but nothing came of it

IMG_4628.jpg

Then a little post-storm gift tonight wasn't too shabby

IMG_4641.jpg

Luken

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
We escaped the worst of it. Power only down for a few minutes about 10pm last night. Mighty windy and very wet, but cleared to a nice afternoon, got a bit of wood split, should do me until Sunday. Drove from BS to Scoresby, then back via Wellington Rd, heaps of debris between here and FTG, then big trees snapped off on Wellington Rd, but nothing seen that surprised given the obs from last 24hrs. 20210610_171738.jpg

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Quick check in. Have no internet or phone but we have power. Have to go toward Emerald for a bit of phone reception.
The neighborhood is a mess.
The gum trees were actually shredded by the wind. Reminds me of those leaf cutter ants.
Was still hearing sirens when i went to bed last night. Some unfortunate folks had a house fire on top of everything else.
We have some new vistas across the valley.
Amazingly calm morning, had some sunshine earlier but back to grey skies now.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Still an enormous amount of water coming down the Yarra's upper reaches and flooding out onto the flats

PXL_20210610_054936931.jpg
PXL_20210610_054729431.jpg

Still no power at home and not expected to return any time soon. Can live without the power but lack of any forms of outside communication is a real concern for these sort of events. Certainly wouldn't want to have a medical emergency, there is simply no way of contacting anyone (I am 40km away at work now). Bring back the copper wires!

Big_Red_60

One of Us
Apr 17, 2018
TAMBO UPPER
Yep 100% too much reliance on mobile connectivity these days. Experienced that in the 2019 fires - no power, no NBN. And although most mobiles sites have backup battery power, it doesn't last forever. Plus, there can be a large load on the network that strains any remaining connectivity. Keep a battery powered radio handy.

We escaped the worst of the heavy rain and wind, with only 50mm falling. Our YTD is 410mm, which is more than we got for the whole of each year from 2017 to 2019. My two biggest dams are now overflowing, tanks full, and even the ground is holding some good moisture. Big turnaround from late 2019.

Expecting a bit more rain tonight into tomorrow morning, then expecting a few settled days for the remainder of the weekend and 1st half of next week. Looks to be something brewing late next week.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Sadly a fatality from the floods / storm

Second fatality from the floods. Again in a vehicle.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
We are up to 35 hours without power and the outage tracker still showing 1.00pm on the 13th as the ETA for re-connection in 3136.
Thankfully I have been able to get to the office for some creature comforts and the BIL's is only 10 minutes away for showers and food.
No good. That far eastern belt really got hammered.
Riding around our way this morning, there was the odd branch down, but nothing extraordinary.

Reactions: Slalom

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
We are up to 35 hours without power and the outage tracker still showing 1.00pm on the 13th as the ETA for re-connection in 3136.
Thankfully I have been able to get to the office for some creature comforts and the BIL's is only 10 minutes away for showers and food.
Yeah, we're the same but 3139 being semi-rural I can half understand. Hard to believe that in the suburbs your power will be out for so long.

I am loving that our hot water can be heated by the woodheater....cold showers would suck badly.

Big_Red_60

One of Us
Apr 17, 2018
TAMBO UPPER
Yeah, we're the same but 3139 being semi-rural I can half understand. Hard to believe that in the suburbs your power will be out for so long.

I am loving that our hot water can be heated by the woodheater....cold showers would suck badly.
Yep, woodheaters have their advantages. We've got an Aga in the kitchen that also heats the water. Happy days!

Looks like a few folk will be stocking up wood piles judging on your pics above.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
@Luken that's a gorgeous sunrise photo, and lovely view you have there!

@Snowy Joey , @GS, @Slalom and anyone else without power and/or internet, hope it's restored soon. Much of our neighbourhood and surrounding region is without too, and will be for days. We are amazed that we still have power, which is unprecedented in these conditions!

A cool but not cold, humid and hazy day today in the outer northeast foothills. At 2pm the sun came out for a couple of hours but mainly disappeared into the haze again now

Surf’s up on the Yarra! And still rising.

Can assure people if you come up this way over the weekend, you’ll be sharing it with most of Melbourne. I expect it will be busier than Buller’s Bourke St on a Sunday after fresh snowfalls :confused: Last time the 25km rule happened, it successfully managed to funnel most of Melbourne here, with people even parking on residents’ lawns and across driveways o_O Batten down the hatches.

IMG_4650.jpg

Islands are rapidly disappearing

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

Hey walking trail, see you again in a few days! LOL

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

Last edited:

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Still an enormous amount of water coming down the Yarra's upper reaches and flooding out onto the flats

PXL_20210610_054936931.jpg
PXL_20210610_054729431.jpg

Still no power at home and not expected to return any time soon. Can live without the power but lack of any forms of outside communication is a real concern for these sort of events. Certainly wouldn't want to have a medical emergency, there is simply no way of contacting anyone (I am 40km away at work now). Bring back the copper wires!
Totally agree with you Gs.
We have adsl and I even tried plugging In an old telstra phone. Pulled cable out of the back of the modem. Few years ago, that worked still but apparently not anymore.
Yes, I wish too we still had some copper to fall back on.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Totally agree with you Gs.
We have adsl and I even tried plugging In an old telstra phone. Pulled cable out of the back of the modem. Few years ago, that worked still but apparently not anymore.
Yes, I wish too we still had some copper to fall back on.

We're back on line, albeit a bit dodgy. Hopefully power as well in the not too distant future

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Communications over this extreme weather event a complete failure in those badly affected areas.More planning and revision of systems a must !

Damp,still and gloomy in Glen Iris Team Bears swept out some affected gutters again ....most leaves have fallen now.Power and communications have not been interrupted around here as far as I can understand.
Bears about to study BOM site.....moderate rain overnight for a few hours with little wind.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Big_Red_60

One of Us
Apr 17, 2018
TAMBO UPPER
East Gippsland still suffering ....
BDDF25FC-CEBA-4D03-BEE9-E2E3EA41F194.png
Nah, we're not suffering here in East Gippsland. We luckily missed the heavier rain and winds on Wed/Thur. We've just been getting good dam filling, ground soaking rain. It has been steady rain from about 7pm last night, still going.

I haven't checked the gauge yet this morning, but judging by the water flowing around the property, there's been a fair bit. The greyhounds are sticking by the fire and refusing to go out to do their business.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass