Day to Day VIC & Melbourne weather

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
1623465270758.png

1623465298122.png

Didn't feel like we got that much overnight, I would have though less than 5mm.
The rain belt did much better.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
We had about 9mm here through last night. Thin sun showed its face briefly several times this morning, but this afternoon has been overcast. We made it into single digits through last night, although just. It doesn't feel too cold today, it's calm and still.

Family around Venus Bay has power back on as of last night. Quite a few in our immediate neighborhood in Melbourne's northeast foothills still without since Wednesday night.

Fair bit of massive tree clearing from roads has been going on. Things are a little damp in Yarra Glen.

IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Fined up basically in G I. but pretty cool this arvo.No heat wave over next week.(appx. 15degs C.

Well at least Bunnings has reopened for those of us pottering around at home because of Covid restrictions.:cool:

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
16mm at ours overnight.
Roads slowly being cleared.
Looks like a lot of folk will be waiting until Wednesday before powers reconnected, some streets maybe longer.
Relief centres have been set up.
Doing our bit, hubby's been out with the chainsaw doing some clearing. One bonus is unlimited free firewood to stack away for next year.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
16mm at ours overnight.
Roads slowly being cleared.
Looks like a lot of folk will be waiting until Wednesday before powers reconnected, some streets maybe longer.
Relief centres have been set up.
Doing our bit, hubby's been out with the chainsaw doing some clearing. One bonus is unlimited free firewood to stack away for next year.

We received an update from Ausnet this afternoon, it now suggests our power will only be out until next Friday! If that's how long it takes it will smash our previous 5 day outage record.

People further down our road are on a new pressure sewerage system that relies on electricity. They have been told not to use water or toilets until Melb Water comes and pumps holding tanks.

Last edited:

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Lel. The ausnet outage tracker just updated us in Croydon South to Thursday 17th June, 11.30am. If that comes true, that would be just shy of 7 days without power.
Just can’t trust the communications coming out from them. Strung us all along for 3 days with tomorrow as re-connection and then shafted everyone tonight. FML.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I wasn’t wrong about people being funnelled here, both yesterday and today. Traffic jams and thousands of people flocking to our small village.

Waited for the hordes of tourists to leave yesterday and strolled out at 5pm at the Yarra’s peak. Paid to wait, as we got to see the best of it with a gorgeous sunset to boot! Levels had risen significantly in the 24 hours since my previous photos here. The first photo below is Friday, the second to compare the same signpost was yesterday evening, and I couldn't get nearly as close to it unless I wanted to be swept away.

IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4923.jpg

Now you see the railing, now you don’t. Where I stood day before on the grass taking pictures of little wavelets bumping against the leaf “levee” is now under a torrent

IMG_4866.jpg
IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

Sorry, the seat's unavailable as it's already taken

IMG_1397.jpg

Everywhere I'd stood on Friday, I couldn’t get anywhere near yesterday evening as the water was too deep and swift. Highest I’ve ever seen it. The ducks didn’t seem to have the same problem. They were enjoying their expanded swimming pool.

IMG_4904.jpg

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Lel. The ausnet outage tracker just updated us in Croydon South to Thursday 17th June, 11.30am. If that comes true, that would be just shy of 7 days without power.
Just can’t trust the communications coming out from them. Strung us all along for 3 days with tomorrow as re-connection and then shafted everyone tonight. FML.

We disappeared from the outage tracker this morning and when Ausnet were contacted they said we had power!
Is your power back?

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
We disappeared from the outage tracker this morning and when Ausnet were contacted they said we had power!
Is your power back?
No, were told that the outage tracker is the best indicator.
Well, that’s horseshit. We were the only Croydon South job listed on the site so when it disappeared late yesterday, we went home in hope.
No cigar and then lo and behold a whole new Croydon South job suddenly came up on the tracker.
My sister just got on in Emerald after 90 hours. Can’t believe we are going to go longer.

Ruckle

One of Us
Jul 8, 2019
Woodend VIC 578m ASL
Hi all. Drove from home to Trentham and Trentham falls this morning. Mess the whole way with a near continuous display of large and medium tree damage.

The road to Trentham falls is below
trentham falls.JPG

The view to the left of that up the hill was interesting, line of trees down, if you look carefully a couple with large root area and at the top a few trees snapped in half, also of particular note is that this is all up hill/slope damage.
uphill.JPG

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic

No, were told that the outage tracker is the best indicator.
Well, that’s horseshit. We were the only Croydon South job listed on the site so when it disappeared late yesterday, we went home in hope.
No cigar and then lo and behold a whole new Croydon South job suddenly came up on the tracker.
My sister just got on in Emerald after 90 hours. Can’t believe we are going to go longer.
It's bs. I swear they have no idea of all the jobs they have. So many folks out ands so random. We're so lucky to be on considering the damage around us. The general store a short distance from us is out.
Friends in Cockatoo have been told at least Friday until there's is back on.
Saw Silvan reservoir today and the damage is crazy. Roads shut to Olinda.
Benalla SES and Forestry management were tackling some of that area along with Toolangi units. Need some highly skilled folk to safely handle the clean up.
Even saw a car half up in air, that had been parked at the base of a big tree.
Sad to see Monbulk pool cut in half.
At least we had such lovely kind weather today. Made shifting wood more enjoyable. Two more dry days ahead.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
There are a heap of crews out there from all over. As if often the case with these things, the people dealing with trees often get held up because they need the power crews there. Have also seen reports of a number of pole fires which is not unusual in such events.
Some of the photos I've seen coming through from strike teams are crazy. Big timber and lots of it

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
There are a heap of crews out there from all over. As if often the case with these things, the people dealing with trees often get held up because they need the power crews there. Have also seen reports of a number of pole fires which is not unusual in such events.
Some of the photos I've seen coming through from strike teams are crazy. Big timber and lots of it
The size of the trees down and their position is nothing like I have ever seen. Its going to take a while.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Such a shame seeing those huge trees come down.

Quite mild out in the Upper Yarra, will make it slightly more bearable for those without power/heating/hot water.

Never expected or planned for power to be out for so long, I'm hoping to find a bigger generator today that will run some of my business equipment.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Kalorama CFA Cpt.outlining the difficulties he is facing on ABC morning radio.
Authorities are being urged to come and talk to the community ASAP.

Emergency service commander better do something useful!

Some more rain later this week will not be welcome.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
@KylePee it seems the Yarra had receded a little by yesterday morning. I love that shot you took of Banyule and Yarra Flats, third one down, with the pair of gumtrees. Just gorgeous.

Late yesterday evening the Yarra had subsided even further, although parts of pathways were still flooded over. I was out taking my shots as you must have been posting, which happened to be at the same spots. This was the same pair of park benches (that you also snapped) on Saturday morning, by evening you couldn’t actually get near it as it was completely submerged under swift water, and then 24 hours later yesterday evening.

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Another couple of comparisons from its peak on Saturday, to 24 hours later yesterday evening.

IMG_4917.jpg
IMG_4939.jpg

Still a fair bit to go until it's fully walkable though.

IMG_4932.jpg

Another comparison from Saturday evening peak, then yesterday, 24 hours later

IMG_4926.jpg

Even more than the flood of water was the flood of people here yesterday. We avoided the fray by heading in the opposite direction. Already by late morning the relatively few carparks were full, traffic was banked back for a couple of kilometres and jammed bumper to bumper.

Melbourne city was quiet, although there were people out enjoying the sunshine and river views. After the floods, trees felled and power outages, the city was actually as very welcome and serene place to be on such a glorious day of sunshine and blue skies. The Yarra was so much calmer here, although running swiftly, and reasonably full.

IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg

It's difficult to get the head around the scale of tree destruction and the size of them. Our local CFA posted/shared the video clip of the Dandenongs that gives a tiny glimpse. I can't seem to embed the clip so I've copied it below. I hope it's ok to post in this thread.

When we were in Olinda c ouple of months ago, Parks Vic people were out cutting down some of these gigantic Grandfather gums that were growing precariously close to the edge of the roads. It’s always sad to see these majestic giants gone.

Last edited:

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
@KylePee it seems the Yarra had receded a little by yesterday morning. I love that shot you took of Banyule and Yarra Flats, third one down, with the pair of gumtrees. Just gorgeous.

Late yesterday evening the Yarra had subsided even further, although parts of pathways were still flooded over. I was out taking my shots as you must have been posting, which happened to be at the same spots. This was the same pair of park benches (that you also snapped) at the river’s peak on Saturday evening, and then 24 hours later yesterday evening.

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Another couple of comparisons from its peak on Saturday, to 24 hours later yesterday evening.

IMG_4917.jpg
IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

Even more than the flood of water was the flood of people here yesterday. We avoided the fray by heading in the opposite direction. Already by late morning the relatively few carparks were full, traffic was banked back for a couple of kilometres and jammed bumper to bumper.

Melbourne city was quiet, although there were people out enjoying the sunshine and river views. After the floods, trees felled and power outages, the city was actually as very welcome and serene place to be on such a glorious day of sunshine and blue skies. The Yarra was so much calmer here, although running swiftly, and reasonably full.

IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg

It's difficult to get the head around the scale of tree destruction and the size of them. Our local CFA posted/shared the video clip of the Dandenongs that gives a tiny glimpse. I can't seem to embed the clip so I've copied it below. I hope it's ok to post in this thread.

When we were in Olinda c ouple of months ago, Parks Vic people were out cutting down some of these gigantic Grandfather gums that were growing precariously close to the edge of the roads. It’s always sad to see these majestic giants gone.

That Melbourne water sign is where I placed my bike and I stood with my coffee to the right, on a piece of ground that had clearly had water running over.

I had seen that arborist video - after I'd seen some service photos from the road level that showed the scale of the trees and damage. I don't think the reporting is giving a true scale of the areas affected and number of people. Between the flooding in Gippsland and widespread tree damage, it's a huge disaster

Big_Red_60

One of Us
Apr 17, 2018
TAMBO UPPER
Wow, some amazing pictures. We certainly got lucky missing the really heavy rain and destructive winds. Plenty of water everywhere still and rivers high. The Tambo is flowing hard at the moment. The entrance at Lake Tyers finally broke open overnight or this morning.

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Wow, some amazing pictures. We certainly got lucky missing the really heavy rain and destructive winds. Plenty of water everywhere still and rivers high. The Tambo is flowing hard at the moment. The entrance at Lake Tyers finally broke open overnight or this morning.
All those giant Mullet will be happy to get out. Was amazing watching them doing laps at easter.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008

Late yesterday evening the Yarra had subsided even further, although parts of pathways were still flooded over. I was out taking my shots as you must have been posting, which happened to be at the same spots. This was the same pair of park benches (that you also snapped) at the river’s peak on Saturday evening, and then 24 hours later yesterday evening.

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg
IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg

True but they can kill something more precious your.... grand children!

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Quite fresh and cool this morning.
Low lying bits around the river had a solid mist, a bit of rain forecast for the afternoon, but not looking that likely at the moment.

Reactions: doogasnow

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Down at work with the novelty of working internet.
Still a lot of folks out around us. Little street adjoining ours still has trees and power lines down across the road and on top of cars.
IMG_20210615_163323.jpg
Still some unbelievable sights.
IMG_20210615_114408.jpg

Beautiful morning with fog laying low in the valley and making some amazing mountain like formations. Helping provide some distraction.
FB_IMG_1623737121071.jpg

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Grdat
Woohoo, sun's out and power's back. Who said time travel wasn't possible? We had a few days back in the dark ages LOL
Great to hear for you guys. We enter Day 7 tomorrow.
First sighting of an Ausnet truck this evening so hoping for only another 24-48 hours. Some suburbs/customers have been told Sunday at best.

Reactions: GS and Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Grdat

First sighting of an Ausnet truck this evening so hoping for only another 24-48 hours. Some suburbs/customers have been told Sunday at best.
Fingers crossed for you that it's on sooner than expected. Some friends that were told friday came back on last night.

Reactions: Slalom

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Grdat

Here's hoping today's the day for you.

A friend is a linesman for Ausnet and has been working non-stop other than mandatory breaks. They'll all be exhausted by the time repairs are completed

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass