Day to Day VIC & Melbourne weather

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
Yay my weather station arrived in time for interesting weather. Mounted to a wobly star stake, and cable ties, that's the recommended method, no? Currently beautiful, light wind that is slowly but surely strengthening. Warm! A balmy 23.1. Lovely! 20210901_164857.jpg

Reactions: GS and Big_Red_60

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
Well my weather station tells me the strongest gust overnight was 36.1kmh just before 7am. Already 19.6 degrees.

It will be interesting to have a reference as to wind gusts, never had an anemometer before, so got no idea really what the difference between a 50kmh gust and a 100kmh gust.. I may just find out later today!

Reactions: GS and Claude Cat

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
It will be interesting to have a reference as to wind gusts, never had an anemometer before, so got no idea really what the difference between a 50kmh gust and a 100kmh gust.. I may just find out later today
Of all the things on our home weather station, the measurement of wind is probably the least accurate. Unless you've got your anemometer well sited, it's always a compromise.
We're in a slight hollow, with lots of trees around which affects the wind flow.

Very sunny this morning, the wind is brisk, but not too bad at this stage.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Starting to get quite blowy out. Bloody nice in the sun out of the wind though.

Hoping for a rumble tomorrow but not holding much hope.
Never know, might surprise, be a nice way to finish the week.

Reactions: Claude Cat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Mt William had 115 kph at 8;17am this morning
The metro area has had 83 kph at St Kilda Marina, 80 kph at the airport and 82 kph at Fawkner Beacon

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
Of all the things on our home weather station, the measurement of wind is probably the least accurate. Unless you've got your anemometer well sited, it's always a compromise.
We're in a slight hollow, with lots of trees around which affects the wind flow.

Very sunny this morning, the wind is brisk, but not too bad at this stage.
Mine is in the clear area, on the slight lee side of the hill, but unlike you we are pretty much band on top of the hill, so expect the anemometer to go O.K. Highest gust it's recorded today 38kmh.. so now I check BOM, I see Ferny Creek @ 50kmh and Scoresby @ 56kmh, not so promising.. maybe. I may need to review.

Certainly has been windy today, hot! Had to get the fan out in the home office.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Mine is in the clear area, on the slight lee side of the hill, but unlike you we are pretty much band on top of the hill, so expect the anemometer to go O.K. Highest gust it's recorded today 38kmh.. so now I check BOM, I see Ferny Creek @ 50kmh and Scoresby @ 56kmh, not so promising.. maybe. I may need to review.

Certainly has been windy today, hot! Had to get the fan out in the home office.
Generally I see peak gusts around 20% less the BOM's near by AWS systems.

Reactions: Luken

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
BOM getting early with their flood watches.

Initial Flood Watch for the North East, Central Victoria and Gippsland​

Issued at 3:46 pm EST on Thursday 2 September 2021

Flood Watch Number: 1

Minor flooding and isolated moderate flooding is possible from Saturday morning in the catchments of North East, Central Victoria and Gippsland.

A cold front will move over Victoria during Friday and Saturday bringing heavy rain to the catchments in the flood watch area.

Catchments in the flood watch area are moderately wet.

Rainfall totals of 20-40 mm are forecast in Central and Eastern parts of the State on Friday with 30-60 mm across eastern ranges. Further rainfall totals of 15-35 mm are forecast for Saturday with 30-60 mm on North East slopes.

Minor flooding and isolated moderate flooding is possible from Saturday morning in the catchments of North East, Central Victoria and Gippsland.

Catchments likely to be affected include:

Bemm, Cann and Genoa Rivers
Snowy River
Tambo River
Mitchell River
Avon River
Macalister River
Thomson River
Latrobe River
Traralgon Creek
Bunyip River and Dandenong Creek
Yarra River to Coldstream
Yarra River downstream of Coldstream
Upper Murray and Mitta Mitta Rivers
Kiewa River
Ovens and King Rivers
Seven and Castle Creeks
Goulburn River upstream of Lake Eildon

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
As I sit here in my shorts and thongs.. it's gonna feel strange going back to Winter over the coming days. But will welcome the rain and a reprieve from the winds!

Hit a new high of 41kmh overnight, but suspect it's probably more like 61kmh based on other obs.

An interesting few band of something.. not sure if it actually contains much rain that will hit the ground ATM incoming from the west. Lots of wind and a bit dirty water probably in the short term, will thicken into the arvo, bring it on!

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Gross. Just gross.
Bloody gusty northerlies this morning just whipping up all that dust and crap and getting in the eyes. I'm grateful I'm not a hayfever sufferer and pity those poor people that are on days like today.
Looking forward to the rain to settle everything and kill the dust for a while. Only good thing about the wind was getting all the laundry done over the past few days so it doesn't need to be done over the weekend.

dr80

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 8, 2012
Vic surf coast
Bulk of the rain band moving past the Surfcoast now.
17mm at Aireys Inlet since 6am and similar at Cape Otway.
Nice steady rain, bordering on heavy at times, but nothing exceptional so far

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Oh yeah it has been heavy steady since it started mid arvo. Good soaking stuff.

Would be ugly up on the mountains

Reactions: Snowy Joey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass