1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Vic Winter - Post Surf Hot Water Solution

Discussion in 'Surf & Marine' started by Tom from Melbourne, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure how many southern surfers are on here, but I'm looking for a winter post surf hot water solution.

At the moment it's two 4L plastic bottles filled from the hot tap that get tipped over head (one for me and one for my son) - but they get luke warm by the time we get out of the water.

Melbourne based so needs to able to packed up quickly and quietly for those early mornings, and keep the water warm for at least 3 hours.

2. Luken

Luken One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I assume black plastic containers sitting in the sun (when it's out..) wouldn't help keep the water warmer?

Ozgirl likes this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

4. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My best surfing friend had an amazing hot water shower contraption built for her by her husband a few years ago - now up to hardware version two. I don’t think I have a photo of it but will try to describe...

* Imagine an esky with a 12v water pump on the side.
    * 3’ flexible metal water hose with a shower head with a trigger on it.
    * Heater element in it.
    * Powered from 240v for heating the water overnight and 12v cigarette lighter for keep-warm and running the water pump.
    * Controls for pump on/off and water temperature, and lights for power, pump on, out of water and something else I can’t remember.

Fits great in the back of her Landrover and a 45 degree shower after a winter surf (especially just blasting the water down inside your wetty before taking it off) is just awesome. Always funny in winter when she says she’s going in that everyone else is in to the beach on their next wave too to get a bit of the water!

i just did a quick search and this shower at BCF is the sort of thing, as a commercial product: https://www.bcf.com.au/p/companion-aqua-cube-logic-water-heater/374540.html

5. Tom from Melbourne

Thanks @Ted Harper that's definitely the high bar!

6. Mogul

Mogul One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

glind.com.au

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  7. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

When you park your car the engine stays warm for at least an hour, radiating all that heat upward for free. . .

Peli89, Tom from Melbourne and Ozgirl like this.
  8. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Have you used the Joolca? It pops up as sponsored advertising every week for me.. I am thinking about buying one now...I recently got a baby-q so have been taking a gas bottle with me everywhere i surf for a post surf cook-up.. the thought of a hot shower on top of that is sounding better every day.

Ted Harper likes this.
  9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

No I’m just on a forum for e-commerce business owners and the Joolca guy is on there.

Peli89 likes this.
  10. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

11. derwent

derwent One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

One of the great joys in life... having a hot shower after a cold water surf.
    Reminds me of back in the day mid 70’s with a couple of grom mates surfing mid winter at Pt Leo. Wetties were pretty shit and in 12degree water you would start turning blue after about an hour so it was like winning lotto when we stumbled on the suicide shower block on the blink and giving away free hot showers! Needless to say we made the most of the situation doing surf/shower loops until the boiler ran out LOL

12. Tom from Melbourne

Thanks @derwent I forgot to think about any existing camping infrastructure! (Although I know at Pines they have locked the toilet block I'm not sure what has happened to the other blocks on the Mornington side).

derwent likes this.
  13. derwent

derwent One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure there’s too many others on the MP with hot showers within walking distance of a surf spot? Even other coasts in Vic wouldn’t have too many although West Coast would have a few and maybe the Prom.

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  14. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

My limited experience of cold mains water after a session is that the showers feel warm, at least on head hands and feet.