Videos (map) or the world's largest ski area

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
Hello everybody !

I am Alf! and I am living in France. Here, we are waiting for snow, we are reserving our holidays.
Do you know the world's largest ski area ? It is in France, in the Alps.
Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires and Val Thorens are the big ski resorts for this biggest ski domain.
Well, if a day, you want to ski in Europe, it is the place to be ! Not to be fashionable, but for the 600km of tracks.
Let me show you the ski area, in videos :

http://3vallees.olympe.in/

You can comment if you want

Bye :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Hello everybody !

I am Alf! and I am living in France. Here, we are waiting for snow, we are reserving our holidays.
Do you know the world's largest ski area ? It is in France, in the Alps.
Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires and Val Thorens are the big ski resorts for this biggest ski domain.
Well, if a day, you want to ski in Europe, it is the place to be ! Not to be fashionable, but for the 600km of tracks.
Let me show you the ski area, in videos :

http://3vallees.olympe.in/

You can comment if you want

Bye :D
Been there done that. Too big, too many people, lift lines, not enough fresh snow.

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
Not too big, it is never too big :p. Too many people ? like others Frenchs resorts, I don't try another country. On the other hand, there is not much wait, lifts are fast.
Fresh snow : the snow is worked everywhere except black tracks (and off-tracks of course). It's a pity for fan of powdery.
But you will never have lack of snow : there was summer ski in Val Thorens and in the worst case, there are snow-blowers almost everywhere.

The biggest slope is "Grand couloir" : on the map, near the webcam on the summit between Courchevel and Meribel.
Never lot a of people here because they are too affraid. Look the beginning on a crest :eek:

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I have not skied there, but close by. As one of the few on these forums to have skied in or near this region I believe I can speak authoritatively on this.

Give it a mis. Overrated. If you've skied everywhere else and have too much money burning a hole in your pocket, fine, give it a go but imho it is seriously lacking in a genuine European "alpine" feel. There are too many runs that are not groomed at all. This is not good enough. How are we expected to ski if they don't groom properly? I think the best way to demonstrate the relative "value" (if you can call it that) of this area is to compare it to somewhere with a good reputation like Copper Mountain. No contest. Just keep skiing Copper. If you're going to pony up the money for a decent OS holiday, it's a no brainer. The flight times and connections to Copper are so much better than Europe. And there are no language or cultural barriers. Seriously, it's so easy to get to Copper. And don't forget, you can use your Qantas FF points to get there for almost nothing. If you don't have enough, you can borrow some from friends or family. Way to go.

I don't know why people even bother considering Europe tbh. It might be 'old', but that just means antiquated lifts, sub-standard facilities and poor roads. Go to a custom built ski resort for an A1 experience every time for my money.

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
I would like to compare with other big resorts, but I can't, not enough money, not enough time, and I am not alone.
When I will win to bingo, I will ski in the USA, in NZ... But now, the best I can do is skiing in les 3 vallées.
For me, in the best ski resorts in the world, the lifts are similars. In average, this is 5m/s. Every year, there are improvements. Ski tow and cable railways are dead, the best is detachable chairlifts with bubbles.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I have not skied there, but close by. As one of the few on these forums to have skied in or near this region I believe I can speak authoritatively on this.

Give it a mis. Overrated. If you've skied everywhere else and have too much money burning a hole in your pocket, fine, give it a go but imho it is seriously lacking in a genuine European "alpine" feel. There are too many runs that are not groomed at all. This is not good enough. How are we expected to ski if they don't groom properly? I think the best way to demonstrate the relative "value" (if you can call it that) of this area is to compare it to somewhere with a good reputation like Copper Mountain. No contest. Just keep skiing Copper. If you're going to pony up the money for a decent OS holiday, it's a no brainer. The flight times and connections to Copper are so much better than Europe. And there are no language or cultural barriers. Seriously, it's so easy to get to Copper. And don't forget, you can use your Qantas FF points to get there for almost nothing. If you don't have enough, you can borrow some from friends or family. Way to go.

I don't know why people even bother considering Europe tbh. It might be 'old', but that just means antiquated lifts, sub-standard facilities and poor roads. Go to a custom built ski resort for an A1 experience every time for my money.
This is all total rubbish - you're taking the piste right?
Ski there every year, 3V is freaking nuts. A little pricey depending on the Euro (which is better than the USD atm) if you want to do it in style, and Poms and Ruskies can be annoying in Jan.
But biggest everything, including BC Angus - it's an easy day trip over to the 4th valley, which is Les Arcs/La Plagne, or the 5th which of course is Val D'Isere and Espace Killy. But you could keep skiing the 3V all season and not ski the same run twice - all serviced by the fastest and best lift system in the Alps.
But stay away by all means.
Go ski groomers on Copper, talk english and eat burgers.
Et bonjour Alf, merci pour le joli carte. J'arrive a CCV bientôt!

Last edited:

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I see what you did there, didn't I :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
This is all total rubbish - you're taking the piste right?
Ski there every year, 3V is freaking nuts. A little pricey depending on the Euro (which is better than the USD atm) if you want to do it in style, and Poms and Ruskies can be annoying in Jan.
But biggest everything, including BC Angus - it's an easy day trip over to the 4th valley, which is Les Arcs/La Plagne, or the 5th which of course is Val D'Isere and Espace Killy. But you could keep skiing the 3V all season and not ski the same run twice - all serviced by the fastest and best lift system in the Alps.
But stay away by all means.
Go ski groomers on Copper, talk english and eat burgers.

You missed the infamous Super special deals aka Copper mountain threads?

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
Et bonjour Alf, merci pour le joli carte. J'arrive a CCV bientôt!
;)

I have tried Les Arcs and La Plagne : that's good, but not enough for me. If your level is average, La Plage is correct. For the off piste, no idea. I am bad in off piste because I ski alone, I don't take the risk (rarely).

Well, it's true, I have postes on 3-4 forum in the world, approximately. I didn't know forums.ski.com.au. Often, you arrive on a forum, post a message and no one cares.
Here, people are talking to me, I am happy, please go on :oops:

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
:D
Sure, I can't prove the opposite. In fact, you are right on a point : Courchevel is Russian ! When I ski there, there are russian music ! pffff.
Talk to me, you will see I'm not Russian and I have not apparment in les 3 vallées :cool:

Ты лжец.

Наслаждайтесь сезон.

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
Reverso : you say I'm a layer.
3 Vallees ski resort are always 100% full, my web site is free (where have you seen pop ups ?)... there is just my unpopular youtube channel o_O (you think I'm a professional with my 50 views ? :evil:)
That's it, I am a miserable ?

Do you want defects ? Les Menuires are ugly, Les 3 Vallees are very expansive (270€ for 6 ski days in 2016, and the appartement are expansive too). The road is awful (like Val d'Isere, Les Arcs) because there are 10x too many people. Courchevel is full of cash. There are no fir tree, there is not enough off-piste skiing...

Find another website like this, I have never seen, and I will improve it every year I can go there. And If I can ski, I ski here.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
:D
Sure, I can't prove the opposite. In fact, you are right on a point : Courchevel is Russian ! When I ski there, there are russian music ! pffff.
Talk to me, you will see I'm not Russian and I have not apparment in les 3 vallées :cool:

I have done a language analysis of your posts and I conclude you are a 26 year old Iranian male living in Portugal. You are posting from an upstairs attic using stolen WiFi from an internet cafe down the road. I suspect you have second hand ski boots, last seasons demo skis and an old snowboard with broken bindings (but that's just a guess; I can't pick that from your English language). You hope your beaten up old car will get you back up the hill in a few weeks so you can spend the season chasing fresh pow during the day and chalet chicks at night.

Post as many of your ski vids as you want.

;)

Reactions: Tanuki

alf_idsoft

Hard Yards
Oct 19, 2015
France
3vallees.nexgate.ch
MDR like we say in France :D (= big lol)
I'm living from 650km of Les Menuires, I have no moutain and no sea, just fields. I have bought my skis on ebay (rossignol Z76 aramid, from a saison location !), and I even have no iPhone ( :crap: ).
A little piece of evidence that I am French : My youtube. Type "La chaine d'Alf!" and you will see ski vids, my old car, my summer time lapses... Not very Russian :)

Anyway, who had tested French ski resorts ? Maybe I have tried it and I can compare
L'alpe d'Huez, Les 2 alpes, Risoul, Puy saint vincent, La Toussuire, Superbesse... Tignes/Val d'Isère have a fine reputation, there was the place to be before Courchevel became the russian bling bling resort. I should try this domain.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Yup, I think he's selling pop-ups. Each of the little skiers invites a world of adverts. By his headcam, not a great skier either. Don't imagine he's run this by the 3V marketing crew.

yeah? when I clicked it took me straight to a youtube vid of the corresponding ruun

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Fresh snow : the snow is worked everywhere except black tracks (and off-tracks of course). It's a pity for fan of powdery.
But you will never have lack of snow : there was summer ski in Val Thorens and in the worst case, there are snow-blowers almost everywhere.

Go to Japan instead..... Plenty of powder there.
"working snow " onto runs, and using "snow blowers" is a poor substitute for real powder.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

no idea about the resorts he's pushing but i really disagree with the conclusion that Europe is a waste of money. of course skiing is the most important part of a ski holiday but personally I want more. I found the US a pretty uninspiring destination, especially Colorado (the only place I skied). On the other hand, being in Austria was a delight, even when we were not skiing. Great food, more beautiful scenery (IMHO), architecture, culture, traditions. I like different culture and language - feature not a bug. For me this was much better "value" for my ski holiday. Adding on Paris and Vienna was icing on the cake. BTW I found older/slower lifts in Breckenridge than Arlberg. Crowding was an issue at some times, but you ;learn how to avoid the worst of it. True of the Colorado resorts I skied too.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I have done a language analysis of your posts and I conclude you are a 26 year old Iranian male living in Portugal. You are posting from an upstairs attic using stolen WiFi from an internet cafe down the road. I suspect you have second hand ski boots, last seasons demo skis and an old snowboard with broken bindings (but that's just a guess; I can't pick that from your English language). You hope your beaten up old car will get you back up the hill in a few weeks so you can spend the season chasing fresh pow during the day and chalet chicks at night.

Post as many of your ski vids as you want.

;)
I can tell by the colour of your poles that you're a beginnermediate. Would you like some formal instruction?

Reactions: cold wombat

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Had to get a spare keyboard to type this after spurting coffee all over mine. PMSL

Reactions: cold wombat

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I can tell by the colour of your poles that you're a beginnermediate. Would you like some formal instruction?

Yes please. Firstly I require instruction in schnapps drinking at lunchtime on a powder day. I don't think I've been doing it right.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Yes please. Firstly I require instruction in schnapps drinking at lunchtime on a powder day. I don't think I've been doing it right.
You'll often hear instructors talking about pizzas and french fries. Pizza's are circular in shape and french fries are made from potatoes which are also round.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
You'll often hear instructors talking about pizzas and french fries. Pizza's are circular in shape and french fries are made from potatoes which are also round.

And combined with enough schnapps I will roll around? I think that is my mistake.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass