Virgin dumping seats to NZ again in ski season to get to Queenstown

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
We don't sell the following flights, but it's very cheap.

Probably easiest to book on Virgin website.

Brisbane/Dunedin AUD$169 going over, coming home AUD$127

With 23kgs checked luggage AUD$336 return (kids take off $55 departure tax)

4 days a week, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sun

all flights depart BNE for DUD @ 0930 or 0945, arrive DUD @ 1510 or 1525

all flights depart DUD for BNE @ 1610, arrive BNE @ 1825

So yes you can drive the 3 hours + to Queenstown both ways, mostly in daylight.

Much closer than Christchurch.

>>>
Brisbane to Dunedin
29 May 15 - 21 15 Jun 15, 28 Jul 15 -13 Sep 15

NOTE: the typo in blue is theres

Appears to be heaps of seats in August (counted 40+ seats at this price 13AUG BNE/DUD 35 seats coming home 20AUG & even more in early September. Probably more of these super cheap seats on Tue & Thu, rather than Fri & Sun.

Might allow you to go for longer than standard week. Why not go Thu & come home Tue (12 nights).

TO go with the cheap flights there are incredibly cheap rent a cars (4wd's from around $57/day inclusive of insurance - no these are not brand new models, probably 5 years old with 100k on clock)

David
PS. just noticed ADL to CHC cheap as well (no nonstop, so via SYD, MEL or AKL) $489 return inc 23kgs. Cheap as !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dates
27 May 15 - 1 Jul 15, 20 Jul 15 - 17Sep 15, 15 Oct 15 - 2 Dec 15

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Thank-you for keeping us informed :)
yes if you wanted to ski/board Queenstown & don't have a lot of funds sitting in the ol bank a/c it's so much cheaper than flying nonstop into Queenstown.

Looking at Virgin/Air NZ same dates is AUD$830 with 23kgs, nearly $500 per person more. For a family of 6 that's $3k.

Difference being the cost of petrol for 6-7 hours driving DUD/ZQN/DUD & your time, less the savings on renting a 4wd at DUD vs ZQN.

If I have to pay for 6 people, I'd do it.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Thanx for info DA.

Any ideas why only from Brisy & if theres a chance Mel-dun flights could start up?

Qzn is great when cheap but 90% time is std pricing. 600+ rtn with bags.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Thanx for info DA.

Any ideas why only from Brisy & if theres a chance Mel-dun flights could start up?

Qzn is great when cheap but 90% time is std pricing. 600+ rtn with bags.
Unfortunately MEL & SYD/DUD flights were dropped. BNE/DUD flights are part of Virgin/AIr NZ alliance & they apparently have to have 4 flights every week regardless of load factors, they can't cut.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
actually there is a sale on now (ends 11.59pm tomorrow, presume that's AEST ?)

Very similar to BNE/DUD/BNE special. MEL/CHC/MEL $332 return inc 23kgs.

Yes, it's a 6 hour drive from CHC to ZQN.

dates are:-

Melbourne to Christchurch 26 May 15 - 17 Jun 15, 23 Jul 15 - 18 Sep 15

there seem to be plenty of seats in August, probably more in Sep & can get flights they don't arrive CHC at midnight & don't depart CHC coming home at 6am. Just need to pick your days of the week.

Last edited:

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
someone just asked .........

"are there 20 seats for a group for Ekka week for a week ?"

(Ekka wed is a public hol in BNE 12AUG)
For those who don't live in Brisvegas, many families go skiing for a week then, rather than school hols, as kids often have stuff all the other 4 days.

Had a really quick look for them.

Only seemed to be ~14 cheap seats left Sun 9AUG, but many more than 20 Fri 7AUG, coming home 14AUG, altho suggested, why not do 9 nights & come home 16AUG.

They also asked, if the airlines would let them book it as a group & let them extend payment.

Rule is yes can book is a group, but no still have to pay before midnight tonight.

That said, suggested they call both Virgin groups & Air NZ groups to see what they said. Some airlines are being a bit more flexible these days, due to their awful forward bookings.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
got a lot of emails this am, saying can't find these cheap seats, cos it ended at 11.59pm last night.

Will it be extended ?

Almost certainly we think. Prob in the next month or so.

But with all these NZL airfare deals, they usually apply for only 48 hours, usually 12.01am Mon to 11.59pm Tue AEST, so if you see it again & want it, book it. Don't stuff around.

We think they should allow more than 48 hours, as people want to know what accom, car etc. will cost them & hard to do in what is really just over 24 hours from time they hear about it, until it's over.

There appears to be truckloads of seats available BNE to DUD & return in AUG & 1st half of SEP + heaps of cheap car rentals.

Also seems to be heaps of reasonably priced accom very close to downtown Queenstown from around AUD$50/person/night in 2 & 3 bedroom apartments from start of Sep.

The snow does not suddenly melt at 11.59pm 31 Aug, in fact no one can say that the snow will be any better, last week of Aug cf. 1st week Sep. Lift Q's prob much shorter in Sep before school holidays start.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
another person who missed the last sale deadline, said how many seats left on a certain date in Aug.

We checked & airline would allow us to book over 130 seats before economy class was full.

Thinking those flights have 152 economy seats, so that means roughly only 12% of seats appear to be booked in economy, which is a pretty low load factor this close to ski season. Qlders are mostly booked by now, if they are going. (airlines will often let you book more seats than on aircraft, as they often allow for a certain % of no shows, generally those on full fares, who can simply turn up for next flight at no extra cost)

This % virtually guarantees the previous sale fare of $336 rtn inc 23kgs checked bags, will be on again exactly as is, or maybe slightly modified by $10 or $20.

Airline don't seem to understand price points. eg. $1099 is way more than $100 more than $999 in peoples minds.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
there seems to be a major disconnect as far as Queenstown is concerned.

1) hotels/apartments-plenty of availability for whole ski season, with possible exception of school holidays (it seems to be that the only ones sold out are at cheaper end)
2) plenty of cars/4wd's sitting not booked for same dates as above
3) plenty of flights eg. BNE/DUD with seemingly 3/4 of aircraft empty for dates as above

You'd think a wholesaler could tie these 3 together & put out some great deals, but it all hinges on the airlines & when they insist on having 48 hour only sales, which are really just over 24 hours (not many people read the sale email sent out at 1am Monday, til prob 9am Mon.)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
What happened to your claim a couple of months back that all Qtown accom was going up by at least 300%?
More bs.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
What happened to your claim a couple of months back that all Qtown accom was going up by at least 300%?
More bs.
no it did go up. The example we gave was the Hilton which went up around 80% from memory & no breakfasts. It appears they thought they had tapped into the Chinese market.

Last year at Hilton, you could get a studio for around AUD$100/night for up to 3 people, with an incredible breakfast, based on minimum of 7 nights.

Just got an email from them this am to say, we're dumping rooms on certain dates cos we have plenty & can't fill at new higher rates.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
no it did go up. The example we gave was the Hilton which went up around 80% from memory & no breakfasts. It appears they thought they had tapped into the Chinese market.

Last year at Hilton, you could get a studio for around AUD$100/night for up to 3 people, with an incredible breakfast, based on minimum of 7 nights.

Just got an email from them this am to say, we're dumping rooms on certain dates cos we have plenty & can't fill at new higher rates.
So last years fully discounted rate was cheaper than this years premium rate, what a shock.
How's about you start presenting facts on here rather than marketing fluff, who knows oneday you might actually get business from here and get some real value from your posts rather than people just thinking you're full of crap.

Reactions: craighelo and Normo

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
So last years fully discounted rate was cheaper than this years premium rate, what a shock.
How's about you start presenting facts on here rather than marketing fluff, who knows oneday you might actually get business from here and get some real value from your posts rather than people just thinking you're full of crap.
wrong again. Just stating the facts. Can't help it if you don't like the facts

FLUFF DELETED

Last edited by a moderator:

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Crap, it's fluff.
Every post is fluff and I'm removing the fluff from your posts.

Reactions: Normo

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney

yep cheapest this year are up over 80% when take into a/c exchange rates & breakfast no longer included. This was best part of staying at the Hilton, magnificent breakfasts. You could order whatever you wanted.

Quizzed airline rep & basically said the $336 type return fare BNE/DUD/BNE inc 23kgs checked bags, will be back in next week or 2.

For those wanting to save some money on ZQN trip, keep an eye out early Mon am & following week. The fare should appear on various websites, although some may show it as $296 or similar return, which is price without checked bags.

As mentioned earlier, we actually checked a few flights in August & there appeared to be 130+ unsold seats on both flights.

They insist that 48 hour sales 12.01am Mon to 11.59pm AEST Tue are way to go.

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
yep cheapest this year are up over 80% when take into a/c exchange rates & breakfast no longer included. This was best part of staying at the Hilton, magnificent breakfasts. You could order whatever you wanted.

Quizzed airline rep & basically said the $336 type return fare BNE/DUD/BNE inc 23kgs checked bags, will be back in next week or 2.

For those wanting to save some money on ZQN trip, keep an eye out early Mon am & following week. The fare should appear on various websites, although some may show it as $296 or similar return, which is price without checked bags.

As mentioned earlier, we actually checked a few flights in August & there appeared to be 130+ unsold seats on both flights.

They insist that 48 hour sales 12.01am Mon to 11.59pm AEST Tue are way to go.
Think that is a pretty good market indicator that no matter how cheap it is no one wants to fly to Dunedin. Divert the flights to ZQN and full em up.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Think that is a pretty good market indicator that no matter how cheap it is no one wants to fly to Dunedin. Divert the flights to ZQN and full em up.
Air NZ/Virgin have to maintain 4 flights a week BNE/DUD/BNE even if all are empty. It's part of their alliance. Without BNE/DUD/BNE alliance is not on.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
just heard from someone in the know that DUD flights will be on sale Mon at 12.01am.

Loads are awful for most of winter. Apparently, if they could cut back on flights BNE/DUD/BNE they would, but they can't.

Not sure if they could use a smaller aircraft such as a 100 seater jet, instead of a 168 seater.

Unfortunately, they don't give them to wholesalers who can be creative with packaging. All airlines can do is to drop the price, or keep having their silly 48 hour sales from 12.01am Mon to 11.59pm Tue, which is not long enough.

Many managers in yield management just don't get it. They need the wholesalers, more than the wholesalers need the airlines, as wholesalers have many repeat customers, who don't even look at airline websites.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
When I go to queens town I don't bother with a car, just bus. So would happily pay more not to go to Dunedin

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
When I go to queens town I don't bother with a car, just bus. So would happily pay more not to go to Dunedin
yuk !!!

The bus ?

Why would you want to catch the bus ?
1) 4wd's are very cheap from around $59/day
2) you have to find a bus pick up spot, get there, when they stop, find a seat
3) buses very slow & expensive
4) drive is not hard, except maybe after heavy snow, which is why always get a 4wd or awd

In peak season, eg. August fare differences between fly BNE/ZQN & BNE/DUD can be as much as $500/person. Multiply this by number in your family or group & it adds up. (party of 6 that's up to $3000.00)

Got the feeling more people than ever went to Aldi yesterday, which only confirms that many people are really watching the dollars.

Flights to DUD & back are in daylight hours, so it's not like you arrive at 11.59pm. Drive in both directions DUD/ZQN & back mostly in daylight.

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
i just caught the bus from the station were it heads direct to the mountain pretty much, drops you right up at the base rather than trudging up through the car park carrying all the gear, or in the case of remarks no parks up top anyway

probably for a family it is cheaper but for two people hire and parking a car and fuel would be more expensive

plus the last thing i want is a longer drive from airport to destination than the flight was in the first place

I've never seen a 4wd for 59 a day with insurance etc in ski season

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
i just caught the bus from the station were it heads direct to the mountain pretty much, drops you right up at the base rather than trudging up through the car park carrying all the gear, or in the case of remarks no parks up top anyway

probably for a family it is cheaper but for two people hire and parking a car and fuel would be more expensive

plus the last thing i want is a longer drive from airport to destination than the flight was in the first place

I've never seen a 4wd for 59 a day with insurance etc in ski season
you can always drop off gear & everyone but the driver on top & then go & park car. Remarks had a prob last year, but hopefully that will be fixed this year.

DUD/ZQN drive is not longer than the flight BNE/DUD.

Hire car is much much cheaper than getting buses everyday. Not hard to find a 4wd for $59/day. You need to look harder. Plenty of 2nd tier car rental companies.

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Did this sale eventuate? had my daughter stay up to grab me some tickets but she told me that she didn't see any deals after midnight.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Shuttle buses from Queenstown used to be a cost effective option, but I noticed last year (first trip for a few years) all of a sudden the pricing on them had jumped.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Shuttle buses from Queenstown used to be a cost effective option, but I noticed last year (first trip for a few years) all of a sudden the pricing on them had jumped.
looked for someone this am & found 3 different 4wd/awd from NZD$59/day to NZD$66/day. No they were not new models.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
now being told the next BNE/DUD/BNE sale will be emailed late on Sun 31 May for sale to start 12.01am Mon 1 June & to end 11.59pm Tue 2 June.

Hopefully still around $336 return inc 23 kgs, no food, for most of ski season. Last sale was something like travel dates of late Jult to 13 Sep, if remember correctly.

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Had my daughter stay up til midnight last week as well and didn't see the deal. Am I missing something? PM sent

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Had my daughter stay up til midnight last week as well and didn't see the deal. Am I missing something? PM sent
Virgin/Air NZ had deal on everything trans-tasman inc BNE/DUD. Think it was $150 off the cheapest fare. Cheapest into DUD is always much cheaper than ZQN even though almost exactly the same distance.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using