Virgin ski bag cost

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
Air NZ has a good offer to NZ but most flights are via virgin. On checking AirNZs policy for excess baggage they say it defers to the partner airline ie Virgin.

Now Virgins excess baggage rates arent bad but they say
"Each piece of baggage must not weigh more than 32kg, or exceed a total linear dimension (length + width + height) of 140cm, per piece. Baggage that exceeds these limits must be transported as Freight."

WTF, this pretty well rules out any options for flying with skis as I read it, anybody had recent experience?

We flew to NZ last year with Virgin but looks like policy has changed

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I've used Virgin to fly to the USA a number of times and never had a problem with a 2m long double wheelie ski bag that normally weighs about 20kg.

This is their policy regarding flights to NZ

Each item of sporting equipment represents one piece of the checked baggage allowance, provided that it does not exceed the maximum size and weight limits.

Sporting equipment includes but is not restricted to:

Bikes
Golf clubs
Snow skis/snowboards
Surfboards
Cricket/tennis bags
And the maximum size and weight limits they refer to are on the same page -
max weight 32kg
max length 3m

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/baggage/oversized-fragile-items/#international-short-haul

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Emirates does SYD-CHC direct daily & services from other cities to CHC. There is a 30kg standard checked baggage allowance included. There may be more than one item in the checked baggage. Their aircraft are always large craft, with complete gallies so there will be full meals served (Boeing 777-300ER & Airbus A380). Complimentary drinks are offered, including liquor. All seats have power outlets & video screen.

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
Born2ski said:
I've used Virgin to fly to the USA a number of times and never had a problem with a 2m long double wheelie ski bag that normally weighs about 20kg.

This is their policy regarding flights to NZ

Each item of sporting equipment represents one piece of the checked baggage allowance, provided that it does not exceed the maximum size and weight limits.

Sporting equipment includes but is not restricted to:

Bikes
Golf clubs
Snow skis/snowboards
Surfboards
Cricket/tennis bags
And the maximum size and weight limits they refer to are on the same page -
max weight 32kg
max length 3m

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/baggage/oversized-fragile-items/#international-short-haul

thanks for that, I ended up at the link below which shows more restrictive dimensions, spoke to a rep on the phone who maintained the official policy was 1.4m total but they informally relaxed it for sporting goods at check in

I know they have changed other terms and conditions re number of bags

Bottom line seems to be 1 ski bag up to 23kg should cost us an extra $55 each way with Virgin or $37.50 with AirNZ.

FWIW Both Virgin and AirNZ are offering $150 off return flights ATM

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/baggage/checked-baggage/#international-short-haul
Baggage Limits

Each piece of baggage must not weigh more than 32kg, or exceed a total linear dimension (length + width + height) of 140cm, per piece. Baggage that exceeds these limits must be transported as Freight. Guests should contact Freight Services on 13 15 06 before arriving at the airport.

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
ladycamper said:
Emirates does SYD-CHC direct daily & services from other cities to CHC. There is a 30kg standard checked baggage allowance included. There may be more than one item in the checked baggage. Their aircraft are always large craft, with complete gallies so there will be full meals served (Boeing 777-300ER & Airbus A380). Complimentary drinks are offered, including liquor. All seats have power outlets & video screen.
I saw this deal earlier, would love to fly emirates but no decent flights out of Brisbane, transiting via auckland doeant appeal domestic departures dont line up too well and then there are hassles with the extra freight on domestic legs
thanks anyway

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Have you considered skiing Ruapehu? Many people don't know about it but its pretty special, and a few hours from Auckland. Since you're on the Sunshine Coast, Air New Zealand are also doing MCY-AKL direct!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using