1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Vodafone coverage at Falls

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by dickyknees63, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dickyknees63

dickyknees63 Hard Yards

Hi Folks,

Can anyone confirm for me that there is decent Vodafone mobile phone coverage at Falls?

I was with Telstra last time I was there.

Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

+1 used to be on Voda so did the 3 network when it was roaming. I don't think thyat you'd have any issues.

3. Petals

Petals Hard Yards

vodaphone is fine, Optus wasn't last year.

4. spargo

spargo First Runs

No optus? excellent, i can hide from work for a week.. even better, a real reason to buy a few 1W handsets to use amongst the team this year.

5. SimonInAustralia

SimonInAustralia First Runs

I bought a couple of Motorola Talkabout radios from DSE recently, I was suprised at how little traffic there is on the radios here compared to overseas.

#5 SimonInAustralia, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. dickyknees63

dickyknees63 Hard Yards

Thanks for the replies guys - I'll be taking a couple of CB handsets as well, so posts re walkytalkies also helpful.

7. spargo

spargo First Runs

yeah Simon, that was my worry - some mates used some 0.7W Motorolas in Andorra, and they got belted no matter the channel. So I never bothered while OS.

I was worried it'd be the same here, but I think I might give it a go based on what you and some others have said. Might have to do some digging to find out what's the best channel for Falls, and if I need stronger than some 1W's.

8. SimonInAustralia

SimonInAustralia First Runs

The Motorolas also have some different interference codes on each channel, not sure how they work, but I guess that you can choose one of those codes on the channel you want to use to avoid hearing other transmissions on the same channel but using different interference codes.

Not sure if other brands of radios have the same interference code system or not.

9. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

vodafone seems generally ok at falls, but was a bit flaky up at cloud 9 for some reason - maybe it was my crappy phone

10. smokey

smokey Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

i spent the weekend at FC recently and Vodafone was rubbish on the hill. Coverage was minimal if at all. Couldn't get any at Cloud 9 and mostly only one bar on Ruined Castle which hardly worked. Was better off the hill in the village though, no trouble there.

11. sydski

sydski Hard Yards

Is the coverage in the village 3G or just standard ?

12. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Optus - 2G Standard
    Voda - 2G Standard
    Telstra - 3.5G - Next G

13. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

"3" also has excellent 3G reception at Falls Creek and nearby peaks.

14. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

#14 climberman, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Voda have a single listing:

Site No: 3699002 cnr Bogong High Plains Rd & Slalom St, Alpine Admin centre FALLS CREEK VIC 3699 - but no data in the listing so it's either really old and not updated, or a proposed new site not yet running.

16. Aus

Aus First Runs

Spent the last week in falls and im on vodefone the only places that i had reception was on the summit side of the mountain, anything past cloud 9 was emergency calls only

17. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Well, I've just arrived back from my regular pilgrimage to Falls ... and I'm regretting one thing that's NOTHING to do with the snowfalls !

Previously, I'd been a user of the Telstra Mobile Network. Coverage problems for me at Falls was NIL.

A few months back I switched to Vodafone. No probs in the Village. One day whilst taking a drink break over at Dicky Knees, I reached for my mobile only to immediately discover I had no reception whatsoever. Therefore, at Falls I've got no phone connection anywhere on Sun Valley - village bowl no probs.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Three's coverage should be as good as Telstra's - if there is no 3 coverage it flicks over to roaming on Telstra (they used to used Vodafone but when Telstra bought half of its network assets, migrated across). One reason to use 3.

#18 Scott No Mates, Aug 24, 2007
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Voda has a rooftop setup at FC on the Admin Building - been there for a few years.

All coverage is 2 or 2.5 G not 3G.

#19 Scott No Mates, Aug 24, 2007
  20. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A friend who skiied with me recently had vodaphone and said there was no reception over the back, but ok in the village.

Telstra works most places over the back. There are a few blind spots, eg comming up the steep part of Scotts.

21. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

I had the same Vodaphone issues as others here last year. Nothing past Cloud 9 which proved to be a real hassle as I was negotiating the purchase of a house at the time. If I got to the very back of Cloud 9 I would sometimes get my messages through but in the end I was travelling up and down the Falls Creek Express lift trying to close the deal.

The good news is that we got the house for the price we wanted and work couldn't get a hold of me when I was skiing. How good is that?

22. Has Bn

Has Bn First Runs

All the carriers used to be hard to pickup at Cloud 9 itself - this is 2-3 years ago. Voda nothing, Optus nothing, and Telstra would only connect if you were at the very north end of the restaurant. Is this better now since 3G etc arrived?