1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Voile Switchback vs Voile Hardwire

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by pegasusSki, Aug 25, 2019.

1. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Hey guys. Hope you are all well.

So. I am on AT frames and Vector BCs 170 - love the ski and prefer it over the Annum which was my 2nd choice. [Would probably get the UltraVector 165 when they need replacing].

OK. More of a touring setup: I have decided to not convert frames to tech and go for comfort - comfy boots in leather, eg Alaska Alpina or Alico. So tele it is. I might even get a skinnier ski, or use quiver killers.

Hardwire vs Switchback

I have found a post on the interwebs where one person says there is not much between the bindings.

Another contributor says not much between Switchback in pivot and HW without cable.

Curious. I have found rented cheap cables quite tight on the uphill in the past with Excursions, and so assumed a pivoting Switchback and a heel riser would easily solve that (and world peace).

Would I get enough pivot by parking the Hardwire cables, and just using 3pin?

Cheers

2. Dropknee diehard

Dropknee diehard Early Days

I have skied all those bindings and really like how the switchback skis and its lighter than the hardwires.
    I found the hardwires made the boot flex a bit weird in both leathers and T3s.

I currently have my vector 170s set up with just 3 pin Voiles skiing with my old rooter T3s, leathers or T2x....goes best with the T3s.
    Loving the lightness and simplicity of this set up for skiing the glades in the Dargo drainage....my happy place

Touring mode always feels weird to me I like the natural gait of just a 3 pin for rolling tours.....Touring modes best for big boots and skinning in steep terrain with long access I find.

I have come from a XC background ex instructor so have a pretty good technical stride on 3 pins and that's probably why I enjoy this set up.

Hardwires are good in that you can keep the cables in your pack for the challenging DHs or use them if you have a breakage.

3. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Thanks mate. I am quite tempted by no cable at all. I'll see if anyone else chimes in about the SB pivot.

4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have Switchback 2 on Voile Vector bc skis, a great set up for touring IMO. Cannot comment on Hardwire. But since mounting 22 Design Axl bindings on some alpine skis, I am blown away by the improved downhill control for both telemark (v dodgy technique) and alpine/parallel turns, when the terrain gets steeper. Want another set. My 2 bobs.
    No cable at all means NTN, yes?

pegasusSki likes this.
  5. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Have used the Switchbacks quite a lot and though a bit heavier are super reliable and make climbing easier Still you can have the cable tight for good downhill control.

pegasusSki likes this.
  6. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

:) Thanks Chris! Clearly all tele/cables are not created equal!

"No cable" means Hardwire with cable stowed and therefore only 3-pin at the front.
    If that means you can tour along, and up, all day sounds good. I just wasn't sure where the SB pivoting was better than the Hardwire with cable removed.

I am looking for ease of touring. Cheap cable bindings with no pivot seemed too tight after 5km uphill.

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I have Switchbacks on my touring skis, they do make travel easier and quite a bit faster. Being such a poor skier I can't make a valid comment about handling on the downhill tho, certainly the binding capability exceeds my own skill level.
    Switchback have no pins so going without the wires isn't an option. Some people seem to still prefer the old 3-pin binding but they do restrict you in the sole thickness of your boot.

pegasusSki likes this.
  8. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

PS: If you want simple 3-Pin I have a set for sale cheap My boots are too thick in the sole to keep them. Posted somewhere in the Gear Swap section

9. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Will take a look. I do want a cable - just a case of whether it is "permanent" or "stowed". I did consider the mechanics of the rattrap and the boot. Cheers

10. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Switchback X2 are a pretty active binding for cable. Might be wasted on leather.

The tour mode is a goodun and pretty easy to activate.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold