1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteering Advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Pow_Hunter, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Pow_Hunter

Pow_Hunter Hard Yards

My Son has been given the opportunity to volunteer at the Winter Games in Wanaka this year at the slopestyle finals. This is really awesome for him.

If anyone has had experience with volunteering before then some advice on what the best roles to apply for are and why these are the best roles then that would be awesome.

Being a 'Course Slipper' or a 'runner' has been suggested to him. What do these roles encompass and what makes them fun.

Any advice, thoughts or comments would be much appreciated! Thanks guys

2. 1dayasalion

1dayasalion Hard Yards

I volunteered for Winter Games a few years back and it was utterly shithouse. After being told I would be given an 'on snow' role for the halfpipe comp, on the day I was shunted into a tiny little room upstairs at Cardrona tasked with handing out press passes to all of a handful of people then twiddling my thumbs looking at the wall.

Fortunately I got given a lift pass at the start of the day with my soggy sandwich and funsize OSM so I ducked out at midday and spent the rest of the day riding!

3. Pow_Hunter

Pow_Hunter Hard Yards

Interesting interesting! Do you know much about the roles i mentioned?

4. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

I've been on the mailing list for a couple of years, but never done any, what I've heard (similar to above) is that it's all a bit shambolic.