Bit o fire in the hills with 43c and the easterly

530350E5-894C-4B05-B7F2-0A16EB3A687F.jpeg

Reactions: tot

tot

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2005
perth
Trying to pack the caravan to be ready for early deparure to Hopetoun tomorrow..
Think it can wait to the early hours.
Down there looking at 23/24 and low teens at night - better take a jumper!

Last edited:

tot

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2005
perth
Iinet lost all their mail severs in Perth due to extreme weather. I guess the aircon failed, good luck get anyone out on Boxing Day!
at the supermarket this arvo and power went out 3 times.. glad it has not done that at home - quick touch wood ffs..

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
1.20am BOM obs with most obs around Perth still over 30. Even Rotto is 29.7 & Garden Island 29.9. wtf? Just wrong!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Yesterday Rottnest scored a high of 42 degrees, which is very unusual, tpyically being up to 10 degrees cooler thsn the mainland.

I evilly chuckled at all those who headed to Rottnest to avoid the heat LOL

Reactions: cold wombat

doddles

Addicted
Oct 9, 2001
Swanbourne - coastal suburb - weather station in place since 1985. Broke its December maximum record (previously 43.0) on Christmas Day with 43.2, then broke it again on Boxing Day with 43.7. Today the maximum so far is 40.7 (unlikely to go higher with impending seabreeze). That's impressive though - 3 days in a row above 40C for a coastal suburb in Perth in December.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Swanbourne - coastal suburb - weather station in place since 1985. Broke its December maximum record (previously 43.0) on Christmas Day with 43.2, then broke it again on Boxing Day with 43.7. Today the maximum so far is 40.7 (unlikely to go higher with impending seabreeze). That's impressive though - 3 days in a row above 40C for a coastal suburb in Perth in December.
Indeed.
It’s been a scorcher!
Not leaving the house.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jimi

One of Us
Sep 10, 2021
Roseville
Marble Bar is averaging a maximum of 45.0C so far for December, and it's unlikely to change much by the end of the month. The coldest max has been 42.5C on the 23rd. Close to a record month?

Reactions: DerekHV and doddles

doddles

Addicted
Oct 9, 2001
4th consecutive day over 40C for Perth. I wonder if that's a record for December. It's pretty rare for any month.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
4th consecutive day over 40C for Perth. I wonder if that's a record for December. It's pretty rare for any month.
We picked up sons dog on Christmas Eve, and he has just now picked her up after having a split system airconditioner installed (they have ducted evap but it wasn’t anywhere near enough).

When he got into his car to come get her the temp gauge read 48 degrees! I mean reflected heat from his driveway … but even so, that’s nuts!

Really feeling for the couple of thousand people who have been without power since Christmas Day. Not good Western Power! Can you imagine having no fridge/freezer/aircon or even a fan for days when over 40 for so many consecutive days?! You’d need to go get a hotel room! And all the food that would spoil! :cry:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008

Not a desirable achievement.

Been a filthy weather period so far, thankfully the dry hot wind has been moderate & the fires that have started were contained quickly.

Have been trying to hang close to the sub Antarctic as possible & it’s still been mighty cooking.

Reactions: Claude Cat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Even though Perth nights seem warmer than where I am for a short time, the low humidity they are cooler and more bearable than here. Feels like temp would be much lower. Our 23 to 24 deg mins feel a few deg warmer.

I forgot about that moving from Perth to Yeppoon.

Perth is lucky with that dry heat. I do remember a week a year it was humid though in summer. Our evap didn't seem to do much then. For some reason our house had no fans which we could have done with.

At least you go outside and don't start sweating . Though no flies here replace flies with mossies/midges.

Here is a comparison of the heat coming to Townsville next Monday

Tuesday :

1640724505734.png

Relative humidity 50 percent and 36 degrees feels like 39.

Much more pleasant in Perth .

I think what made it worse when I lived in Perth is the area I lived in Success so much concrete and lack of trees that is what made it feel hotter .

I think Adelaide has even lower humidity year round than Perth probably more true Mediterranean than Perth.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
not entirely - humid weather feels like you might melt, whereas in Perth when outdoors, the dry heat feels like you are about to spontaneously combust
I don't like either. Give me 30 tops with low to moderate humidity and I'd be happy as.

Reactions: Vinny

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Even though Perth nights seem warmer than where I am for a short time, the low humidity they are cooler and more bearable than here. Feels like temp would be much lower. Our 23 to 24 deg mins feel a few deg warmer.

I forgot about that moving from Perth to Yeppoon.

Perth is lucky with that dry heat. I do remember a week a year it was humid though in summer. Our evap didn't seem to do much then. For some reason our house had no fans which we could have done with.

At least you go outside and don't start sweating . Though no flies here replace flies with mossies/midges.

Here is a comparison of the heat coming to Townsville next Monday

Tuesday :

1640724505734.png

Relative humidity 50 percent and 36 degrees feels like 39.

Much more pleasant in Perth .

I think what made it worse when I lived in Perth is the area I lived in Success so much concrete and lack of trees that is what made it feel hotter .

I think Adelaide has even lower humidity year round than Perth probably more true Mediterranean than Perth.

The civilised climate of the Qld coastal tropics is the best ‘warm’ climate in Australia in my opinion.

Can actually have an outdoor lifestyle, I can live outside in just boardies all year round there & go my default dark shade of boot polish, never burn.

In southern WA, even darkies like me start burning after 5 minutes outside.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The civilised climate of the Qld coastal tropics is the best ‘warm’ climate in Australia in my opinion.

Can actually have an outdoor lifestyle, I can live outside in just boardies all year round there & go my default dark shade of boot polish, never burn.

In southern WA, even darkies like me start burning after 5 minutes outside.
And me, the pale as pale Viking with Lupus LOL … I’m like one of the creatures on I am Legend!

not entirely - humid weather feels like you might melt, whereas in Perth when outdoors, the dry heat feels like you are about to spontaneously combust
It is desiccating!

We went for a morning toddle to the new local cafe yo have our last meal with my folks for months…. I came home and had a cold shower before leaving for the airport LOL. That was 9.30am!

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
I'll second that comment re dry heat & spontaneous combustion. The combination of 40C+ during the day followed by 25-30C heat trapped under a concrete cloud deck overnight is horrendous in Adelaide. Humidity may be low, but it's still not that comfortable.

I remember being in a house with no aircon and the temp was still 36C at midnight. The surface of the bed felt like it was burning.

If I need to go to Darwin for work, I prefer to go in the Wet Season. I get enough of their Dry Season during our summer.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
And don't I know it. Was up on the concrete tile roof this morning to run some wiring for a new power point. Feck me, worst place to be.

And don't I know it. Was up on the concrete tile roof this morning to run some wiring for a new power point. Feck me, worst place to be.

Hot Wombat?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I'm curious if 35 at night, when there is no radiant heat, feels better than 35 during the day
Prolly does tbh, especially for me because the sun takes one look at my gentle Irish/English skin and starts frying me alive. I had to make sure I was up on the roof early and move quickly before the sun did its thing. By about 8.30am it was impossible to stay up there.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Prolly does tbh, especially for me because the sun takes one look at my gentle Irish/English skin and starts frying me alive. I had to make sure I was up on the roof early and move quickly before the sun did its thing. By about 8.30am it was impossible to stay up there.
you feel sorry for those who do it for a living

Reactions: cold wombat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using