Day to Day WA & Perth weather

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
First strong gusts with that band dropped some big trees around the place, I was on roof finishing cleaning my gutters, had to do a slippery retreat, phone started ringing pretty five minutes later - big marri across arterial road, robusta spilt, hung up over public pathway.

About 18mm in it (north of Cape Leeuwin).

Think strongest period of wind for us down on Capes will be the northwest to southwest boomslang either side of midnight.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Bit breezy down south today...
upload_2020-5-5_17-21-1.png

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Past 100km/h on Cape Leeuwin gust, reckon we should get another 20km/h out of this one.

There we go, ratcheting up a notch now (2030) - 120km/h gusts at Cape Leeuwin, 126km/h at Naturaliste.

House is doing a few aircraft landing shakes, even on 300mm mud brick walls. Very good night for a wood fire. Think might sleep inside tonight.

Still out of the NW quarter, got some more to go yet. Could we crack 130km/h?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
8pm Sounding for Perth Airport last night had the freeze level over Perth at ~1100m.
Hypothetically snow as low as 800/900m ASL above Perth at 8pm last night.
As former resident, I've never witnessed that sort of atmos thickness over Perth. Awaiting to see Albany's results this AM (usually around 10am AEST)
IDS65024.94610.png

Unfortunately the highest point around perth is only 680m

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Driving Stirling Hwy Claremont to Freo return last night (necessity otherwise i wouldn’t have gone out) was challenging.

Fought the steering - particularly along the coast, one of those metal sandwich boards out the front of the group of shops near Boatshed flew across the road in front of the car.

Doozy of a system.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Mt Cooke likely to have seen hail, nonethless. IMO

Albany Skew-T in. 8am send this AM.
FL ~1300m. Blowing 50 knots around same elevation which sounds horrendous.
With good upper level support -29C @ 500mb. So that would def put some flurries down to ~900m ASL (Bluff Knoll) IMO.
The Westerly flow not ideal however.
upload_2020-5-6_11-38-35.png

Reactions: Claude Cat

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Albany A/P still around 8C and 7mm in the can sine 9am.
It should drop it's 1928 Low MAX record of 10.6C, at this rate. Although we won't know until tomorrow as it's a twice daily AWS.

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
The rents in South Freo told me how the wind was so strong and disruptive last night that they "moved to the downstairs bedroom to escape the noise". The old man used to work offshore for Woodside and has sailed for much of his life, so it must have been bad for him to want to escape it... That said, they're in their 70s now :whistle:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Witchcliffe on 21mm since 9am whilst 40-odd kms away at Cape Leeuwin, it sits on 1mm. Must've been a lot of sideways in that rainfall!

Yep, much of it blows past the Leeuwin in those conditions, pretty exposed location as you know. Slab of wet granite pointing straight at the roaring forties & white pointers.

Witchcliffe station is a sheltered site as well, 20 knots registered there is about 40 everywhere else in the district.

As expected, plenty of carnage about this morning, one of the stronger wind systems to hit Capes in recent years. Some of the damage more reflective of what I've experienced in cat 1 & 2 systems in the north.

Worked like war donkeys today, delayed start to let the wind ease a bit & bring margins of safety back into tolerable levels.

Lots of ground level tree failures, many relating to primary inclusions and/or root plate decay.

Started with side of ash on school playground, the favourite tree with ties to the founding of the school, somehow have to save a structurally unsavable tree, ironically playground just built & kids can't even play on it yet.

Straight round the corner, trees across driveways, one hanging back into high voltage line. The wind still felt 100km/h bringing it down safely. Worked way down street. Drove past many properties still with blocked access.

Quickly inspect another rural lot manage many large trees on, gardener was freaking out, think she had only just noticed the trees. Nothing critical, minor limbs snapped out on most trees. Wider street area faces west, noted all trampolines blown away & bent. A small win. Another win was seeing big steel posted subdivision billboard signs folding over by wind.

Calorie intake. Straight to rural nursery, big E. robusta failed at ground level inclusion in first squall yesterday. Demolished many other trees en-route to ground, blocked access to office & part of nursery, lifted up two water pipes. Flat out until dark to make area safe, western section still standing & unstable, heavy lean over water tank on stand, water pump, powerline & house. Moving ominously with every gust, a job for Friday during lighter winds. As made way out of forest tonight, power crews still going ham' tong making repairs.

Cool, some may say cold. Jackets on all day, which is rare in physically demanding work, even a full revs could still feel chill. Good to have some weather again. Next week looking blocking high'ish.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
The SW corner and Perth is getting a nice drenching today. 31mm recorded in Perth in the 24 hours to 9am, and there's more coming. The Perth May average got broken in a period between 5:30 and 6:00am this morning where 17mm fell in half an hour :confused:

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Camping tomorrow. Better clear off as forecast

Looks alright tomorrow, Sunday might be a bit damp. I was thinking of doing an overnight hike this weekend, but I'll probably just make it a day hike on Monday. That's mainly just me wanting to avoid a glut of people at the Bibbulmun track huts though.

Reactions: LMB

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Looks alright tomorrow, Sunday might be a bit damp. I was thinking of doing an overnight hike this weekend, but I'll probably just make it a day hike on Monday. That's mainly just me wanting to avoid a glut of people at the Bibbulmun track huts though.

yeh might get some rain on the swag overnight but that’s ok I’ll pack up and choof home

should be warm enough

C2C142A7-2468-4C8A-B4E4-06B26C6633FD.jpeg

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yes today was wet and some decent gusts too it felt like. Working from home and on work call while watching the trampoline threaten Lunar trajectory
My potted Cumquat tree blew over in its fairly heavy pot... looks like reinforcing will be required to keep it upright.

On the plus side the new garden is being well watered in! And no roof leaks that we have noticed - big YAY!

Reactions: cold wombat

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Reactions: Darb

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
300-200mb cirrus cloud running with the jet stream over the top of a low level ~1500m stratus layer. Some 1200km West of Jurien Bay this evening.
Note the observed gravity wave making it's way West-East centre frame - the overshoot moving ahead of an approaching front.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass