Walkie Talkies in Niseko

man8banana

First Runs
Sep 6, 2006
Has anyone used the hand-held walkie talkies to communicate in Niseko? If so, did they work all over mountain? What power walkie talkies did you use? The ones I'm looking at are about 0.5Watt ones...
:wally: Am I asking a way too techo question??

man8banana

First Runs
Sep 6, 2006
Hmmm...doesn't sound right to me. I've heard from several others who have used them in Japan. Didn't get to ask whether they work in Niseko though. Anyone else know?

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
The Carve maestro is right but seriously how are they going to catch you. I've used them over there before, the 0.5W units work fine in most situations. Don't expect to be able to talk if 1 party is at the bottom of Hanazono and the other at the bottom Annapuri but generally you'll be fine.

man8banana

First Runs
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for the responses Carve and Belly. Good points that you both have highlighted. Reckon I might sneak a couple of radios into the suitcase just to keep track of the girlfriend (more to the point so she can keep track of me)...and keep them outta sight whilst skiing.

Anything above 0.5W starts to get a little bulky so that's good news Belly.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
CM is not entirely right! It MAY be illegal to use them outside of Australia because most governments licence all but their local citizens band frequencies (As Belly says, try and catch someone!). However, having used them in quite a few parts of Japan, it is my opinion that there is no conflict between them and emergency services frequencies.

Generally speaking 0.5W units are pretty useless if you are on say different runs. You can get 1W units that are the same size as half watt units, I have some. They are better than half watt jobbies, but in reality nothing will go through a mountain, they are line of site.

One suggestion is to take the batteries out of them while you fly so they don't accidently flick on, first time we pulled ours out of the luggage one of them had flicked on, I am not sure how dangerous that is for the plane, but it is best for it not to happen I guess.

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
Oh and the radios will "work" anywhere, just their range will differ due to terrain
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Podlet

Old n' Crusty
May 28, 2000
Jindabyne
I'm not flying with you when you have radios in your bag. An episode of Airplane investigation waiting to happen!
laugh.gif

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I could talk with my daughter from top of Hanazono while she was back home near Jo Jo's. Bit scratchy, but OK!

Jun 26, 2006
Generally speaking 0.5W units are pretty useless if you are on say different runs. You can get 1W units that are the same size as half watt units, I have some. They are better than half watt jobbies, but in reality nothing will go through a mountain, they are line of site.
so how useful will this be if, for eg, im little buller spur and my friend is on the bottom of horse hill? Im going to niseko and furano on feb3!!
smile.gif

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
I have no idea where either of thos places are, but if you can see each other they should work provided your not more than say 2k away.

man8banana

First Runs
Sep 6, 2006
Hey thanks guys!
Useful info John Deere:
What brand/model of 1W units do you have?

Tonester:
What power are your walkie-talkies? Brand/model?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Belly said:
The Carve maestro is right but seriously how are they going to catch you. I've used them over there before, the 0.5W units work fine in most situations.
As a wise man once said, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
The 1W units I have are Uniden. Remember they are rechargable but the charger is not dual voltage so take them over fully charged and leave the charger at home, when the battery runs out switch to Alkalines (as you can do it with uniden models) for the rest of the trip, unless your gasbagging all day the alkalines will last well.

John Deere

First Runs
May 8, 2005
Sydney
you can get an adaptor to make the plug fit into a Japanese outlet, but it does not change the voltage from 110 (Japan voltage) to 240 (australia voltage). For PC's, digi cams etc it is not a prob as they are designed to take both voltages (note it says on most of these something like Input:100-250V.....this covers both Japan and Aus!!).

For the radio chargers they GENERALLY only input of 240V, so they will not work and you may even damage the charger trying!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass