1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Wanaka 2016

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Heinz, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

I Shooda stayd single................thanks for the pics etc Heinz.

2. windy

windy Hard Yards

Yeah I know right. The guide said to spread out and so I take off and he takes off right behind me. I'm regular and he's goofy so we came together in our blind spots but I was still further down the hill. After about three times over the handle bars I came to a stop and he's going off at me like it was all my fault.

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Stuff like that can still happen, but really on a heli day there is little excuse for it if people are paying attention. The guides always suggests keeping some space even on safe terrain as skiing on top of each other is just unnecessary. We had one incident on my first day when the boarder in our group came in to our gathering point far too hot and crashed into Stewart who was already stopped. Fortunately no harm done, but our guide did let him know that that was not acceptable. He was fine after that.

I noticed this year that there seemed to be significantly less boarders this year than recent years. I think in the 9 days I had I only 3 boarders in the same group as me - I guess parly because we mostly had our own group of 3 skiers for the most part. But I didn't notice that many in the other groups.

windy likes this.
  4. Heinz

At Queenstown airport now. Always a bit sad to leave Wanaka - great place, great people. But then I don't think I could afford to stay longer. Will just have to come back again next year and do it again.

5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Brilliant TR Heinz :thumbs:

MickM likes this.
  6. Heinz

In Sydney now. Had the bag search. Fortunately ski boots were clean - wasn't muddy at Raspberry creek.

Kletterer likes this.
  7. Stiffler

Stiffler One of Us

Few more pics from the trip,

8. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Mission accomplished, cheers Heinz. Stiffer did you heli in or skin in and did you drop the Cromwell faces under Mt Pisa?

9. Stiffler

Stiffler One of Us

Yeah got a Helo drop off on first day to the Huts then was based out of there for a few days we didn't ski the Cromwell faces as we headed out towards snow farm as the exit point on last day.

Myazma likes this.
  10. Will_P

Will_P Hard Yards

These Pisa Range pics look remarkably familiar... I even see my skis in one of them!

Stiffler likes this.
  11. Stiffler

Stiffler One of Us

I thought that bloke looked dodgy should have known he was using stolen skis!!!

12. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Pisa range is sneaky good

Myazma and Stiffler like this.
  13. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Nice report!

14. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

Very jealous sucks to be sitting the season out but there's still hope to get some Spring turns in at home!

Hienz where's your fav terrain that hmh go?

15. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We hoped to do the same trip last year in early Oct but couldn't get a guide. When speaking to a very helpful staff person at one of the mountain shops in Wanaka she suggested we could quite easily do basically the same based out of Kirtle Burn hut ourselves. Easy skin out from Snowfarm, twilight boarding, cornitopia, all honey and jam.

16. Heinz

In short there is a LOT of terrain and no simple answer. The decision of where to go will be largely based on conditions. But you will normally be in for a pretty good day where ever you end up.

But a few thoughts..

Most dramatic would be the Ben Ohaus in the Mt Cook region. Good long runs also. Darkies - a steep, shady glacier run is one of the best - just amazing in fresh powder. Haven't made it up that way for a few years, was hoping to this year but didn't work out. The Gammacks up that way are pretty good also, some nice long fall line runs.

Around Wanaka when conditions are good I do like it in the North Harris. Like around Craigroyston - had a great day there this year with long runs to the valley floor. The problem it often has is that it is a bit exposed up top so can often be wind afftected - not so that day. Particularly enjoy Holy Moses chutes. Conditions aren't often right for those but when they are it is amazing. Also enjoy it on Fog Peak - also nice to stand up top there and look down to Wanaka in the distance. And similarly when back in Wanaka look back to where you were. Rollercoaster is a really fun run - well named - very rolling terrain, but nice and open without many tricky terrain features, so you can really open it up and have a blast. Then there is Mt Repulse which is fairly steep - they rarely go there but went there with Whitney a few years ago, when it was a relatively low snowfall season, so safe and had an awesome day.

The Tyndall glacier region is spectactular country, runs like Isobel are a bit more mellow, but there is steeper stuff on the Tyndall itself and the Headlong.

Galactic Bypass out to the north of the North Buchanans is pretty spectacular as well and great in good conditions but can likewise be affected by the wind either up the top orr sometimes lower down if there has been a catabatic wind.

North Buchanans is good also, perhaps not always the length of runs, but the major factor is it's reliability of snow conditions. So I had quite a few days there this year. If there has been a lot of wind about, we still know we can head there and still find good snow especially on A-trials which just about always delivers the goods. Stag peak heading down the shady aspect known as the fridge can be particularly good. Triple peak area is usually pretty reliable as well. And this year Moliefes was a constant winner. .

Had some interesting times in the South Buchanans also - lake views are amazing, Alta chutes are great, but snow hasn't been quite as reliable. It is a bit more wind exposed so the top sections can sometimes be a bit bony.

Had some nice days out in the Mototapu region. Also plenty in the old days in the Central Harris especially around Black peak some of which is now under the Southern Lakes permit area.

Only had a few days over the years in the Queenstown region. Had a very good day in the Doolans a few years ago. Normally though ski in the Wanaka region. Most years the Queenstown guys bring a few groups over to the Wanaka region. This season though it appears that conditions were particularly good down that way so I didn't see Frog or Roachie at all.

I'm sure I've missed a few as well.

17. Heinz

Got an email from HMH. After a warm September they had a snowy October/November.

Here they got out recently after a big snowfall with a film crew in the North Harris to shoot a promo for Speights.

Froff Life, craighelo and Dumph like this.
  18. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Horrible froffie, sick video!

19. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good video but #overexposedshouldntbeanartisticchoice.