1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wanaka in 2015

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Greg Oscar Davis, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Greg Oscar Davis

Greg Oscar Davis First Runs

have done Queenstown to death over past 20 years & want to ski Treble Cone & Cardrona next year.

Have driven from Queenstown to Treble Cone, but last time did it, everyone else complained about the drive which was 90 mins each way from memory.

Plus Cardrona lot closer from Wanaka.

But how do we get there from Australia ? Thought Air New Zealand flew from Christchurch to Wanaka, but it seems they canned those flights last year.

google maps say a 5 hour drive from Christchurch, but is that realistic in winter ?

Guess we can fly to Queenstown & drive from there, but as some of our group wants to go back to Queenstown, want to avoid flying in there if possible.

Dunedin airport ? Google says 3 hours drive & avoid Queenstown.

Anyone will any suggestions ?

2. stuarth

stuarth Addicted Endless Winter

Chch-Wanaka flights rare & were rarely convenient.
    Chch-Wanaka drive is a casual 6 hours (includes stops for dinner, coffee etc). Fits if you have a morning flight out of Mel/Syd etc. They tend to arrive around 3 and you can be in Wanaka easily for bed time. Worth breaking the drive via skiing at Hutt, Dobson or Ohau if you time it differently. The road is usually fine unless there is a storm running. There will be grit and potential ice patches on the Lindis Pass but otherwise usually cruisy. From the airport you could make it in 5 most days.

Flying to Dunedin is getting almost deliberately obscure. If you have a convenient flight into Queenstown that is the easiest by miles and no-one is going to forget that it is only 55 minutes over the range even if you do drive from Chch.

Once you get into Wanaka & get on the hills people probably won't look back. I spend a lot of time around Wanaka; rarely inspired to spend much time around Queenstown, but it is as easy to get from Wanaka to touring out the back of the Remarks as it is to get the other way.

Have a great trip.

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

4. expatgm

expatgm Addicted

I'm guessing you don't want to rely on buses. Jucy rentals has a deal during winter where they supply 6 lift tickets for Treble Cone included in the cost of the rental. Also the airlines put on extra flights to Queenstown in winter so it may be a better option for you time wise unless your dead set on avoiding the place.

5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

You would be mad to fly into anywhere but queenstown to go to wanaka. Thats like flying into osaka to go to yokohama..

6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This. Not sure I understand the reasoning for trying to avoid ZQN if trying to get to Wanaka when it is an hour drive/bus.

7. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yeah, weird.

Dunedin airport is good, but it's a **** of a drive from there through to Wanaka in winter (not quite as bad as heading to Queenstown from Dunedin, at least you miss the Kawarau gorge).

8. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Manuka Gorge is the one of the worst bits of SH8 for my money, it's the only bit of road that I've hit black ice on in 6 years of living down here. I can't really understand the rationale for avoiding Queesntown.

9. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yeah it's fairly treacherous.

10. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

You'd be mad not to rent a Jucy in Queenstown and go Ski TC. I've been doing it for years. Ski for free? Pretty close I reckon ;)

11. Greg Oscar Davis

Greg Oscar Davis First Runs

flying into Dunedin is often much cheaper than flying into Queenstown.

We flew into Dunedin last year as it was $300/person cheaper. Multiply that by 8 people(some of whom have no money) & it buys a lot of beers.