1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

    We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

    NOTE: This notice may be closed.

    Dismiss Notice

Wanaka or Canterbury (first time in NZ)

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Bryan Du Rand, Jul 12, 2019.

  1. Bryan Du Rand

    Bryan Du Rand First Runs

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    I am a fan of riding fresh powder and having great views but it appears i booked the wrong flights. im fliying into christchurch (later realising queenstown is the better option)
    I have 4 days available. should i make the drive down to Wanaka and sacrifice a day of boarding or just stick to the original plan and do Craigieburn
     
    grantn likes this.
  2. Bryan Du Rand

    Bryan Du Rand First Runs

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    5th- 8th august
     
  3. grantn

    grantn Addicted

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    177
    In my opinion just stick with your original flights and wing it. The drive to Wanaka, or even Ohau is pretty cruisy if you feel you want to head down that way. You could flick over your flights to Queenstown now, pay heaps of money to do this, then have a mega dump in Canterbury just before you get in and be kicking yourself.
    In my opinion the best way to do NZ is to book a hire car and wing it, be flexible. You don't need to book accom ahead of time. You can do it on the fly. Some years Southern Lakes will get more snow, but many years Canterbury will get better snow, you probably won't know which option will be better until just before you fly.
     
  4. Heinz

    Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    26,483
    Likes Received:
    10,604
    Location:
    Adelaide
    For a 4 day window I'd just stick with the original plan and not miss a day in transit. Sure the views and options around Wanaka are better, but which will have the better snow at the time will be a lottery.
    Next time though either fly to ZQN direct or allow yourself a longer window and cover all options without necessarily missing a day in transit.
     
    Dumphfish and grantn like this.
  5. Bryan Du Rand

    Bryan Du Rand First Runs

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    thank you soo much. do you have a link for decent snow forecasts?
     
  6. grantn

    grantn Addicted

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    177
    I use snow forecast. It's not always accurate with respect to totals, but will be helpful for freezing level and direction of wind. Things can change quickly with NZ though. On any forecast keep comparing Canterbury with resorts in the Mackenzie and southern lakes. They all recieve different amounts of snow depending on where it is coming from. Will help you figure out whether to stick to Canterbury or go for a drive!
     
  7. Bryan Du Rand

    Bryan Du Rand First Runs

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    sorry for the rookie questions but how does direction of wind affect these 3 areas, what should i be looking for . please teach me sensei
     
  8. Legs Akimbo

    Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    34,798
    Likes Received:
    33,336
    Location:
    Coastal suburban boonies.
    Isn't the simple maths that the drive to Wanaka from ChCh is 5 or 6 hours? Each way. In good conditions. That takes an enormous amount of time out of a 4 day trip.
     
  9. grantn

    grantn Addicted

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    177
    That's a fair call - considering the 4 day window. I guess I was thinking worst case scenario, if conditions in Canterbury weren't any good, for that 4 day window. I wouldn't drive all the way to Qtwn from Methven, but would consider driving to Mackenzie from Methven, because its not that far...........
    Either way I think the OP will be fine, 5th August is a long way off. Should be some decent snow in Canterbury by then.