1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wanaka or Queenstown??

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Shivit, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Shivit

Shivit First Runs

Any opinions on which would be better for access to best slopes and why??

2. scalymanfish

scalymanfish A Local

Wanaka because TC and Cardrona are better than CP and the Remarks.

3. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Wanaka.
    Don't know about TC but it is 30mins from the edge of town to right by the Cardrona base area and the gravel road up there is wide and easy.

Queenstown
    CP is a short easy drive on bitumen but being lower the conditions might be not be as good as Cardrona. Remarks take longer and I was glad to take the bus up there.

Do both.

4. K@os

K@os A Local

Remarks & CP can be great on good days with lots of snow. Cardies and TC have more consistent conditions IME.

Last time we spent a week in Wanaka and a week in QT. We ended up going to Cardies most days as the conditions were better and less crowded.

Wanaka is less of a tourist town compared to QT, which depending on what you are after could be good or bad. For me and the gf, we prefered Wanaka.

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You probably need to qualify what you looking for as a 'best resort' ie. what type of skiers/boarders are you and what are you looking for.

And how much is non ski activity a factor?

6. conradskis

conradskis One of Us

Easier access to slopes = Queenstown. Fast access to Coronet along a sealed road, a bit longer to Remarkables on a dirt road.

However most challenging terrain is at Treble Cone which is much closer to Wanaka, along a dirt road which some find challenging.

Cardrona is in between the two but closer to Wanaka. Not a big fan of Cardrona for skiing but boarders seem to like it.

Wanaka is a much quieter town than Queenstown so how you feel about the towns depends what you prefer. One benefit of Queenstown is easy access to lots of other activities for laydays.

What I've done in the past is spent some time in both towns.

7. MB03

MB03 Hard Yards

If the trip is about the best skiing, then Wanaka is the better option to access Cardrona and TC

The TC road is steeper and appears scarier than Cardrona but in my opinion (I live in Wanaka) it is often easier than the Cardrona road as it is shorter and does not go as high as Cardies. The Cardrona base is 400 metres higher than TC and requires chains more often. TC is about 30 minutes from Wanaka

That being said, I haven't fitted chains at either resort in the last three seasons driving a Subaru 4WD, and I have had season passes at both ski areas

Happy to help with any other questions.