1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wanaka trips

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by weerab, Sep 4, 2013.

1. weerab

weerab One of Us

I'm heading over to Wanaka from Melbourne in late October for a wedding. Got a couple of days in Wanaka before the betrothal then about 6 days in Q'town before heading back to OZ. I haven't been to the south island for a long time and i am open to suggestions for some easy walks or anything else. I figure the skiing will be kaput by that time! Anyway, just booked a car and accomodation and really looking forward to it. I have visited Auckland (Papakura) a couple of times in the last few years but have not been to the south island for about 20 years or so.

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

According to forum member Snowgum in the Weather/NZ postings, it is still snowing in the Wanaka/QT region and it looks like next week might prolong cool conditions into Spring over there (but perhaps not here). I was able to ski Cardrona early October in 2007 but you would have to be lucky much later. Even if Snowfarm ski field is closed, it could still be worth a visit up that side of the valley. Some nice touring could be possible. Hope it goes well, after a most disappointing season here.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Some guiding companies still run ski tours in the high alpine country in Oct. Fly in, fly out. You must've got a taste for heli-skiing by now weerab ;-)

Bingo CC. I skied Cardrona early Oct in 2008. Mind you, they were working hard to keep it open for the school hols, it was raining and the snow was elephant snot.

4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I was lucky that trip. It snowed, really light and dry, probably the first time I had skied in actual powder. Skis disappeared in Captain's Basin and I had that peculiar sensation of floating through it which I had not experienced here. Would love to do it again. Fingers crossed for weerab.

5. Ziggy

Ah, you did get lucky that late in the season.

I lost an ACL that time. Have gone off elephant snot since.

6. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

If it's a walk you're after then the Rob Roy Glacier Track is awesome. The glacier is really impressive. Its reasonably handy to Wanaka too. Bear in mind that weather conditions can change rapidly in NZ's mountains particularly in spring.

#6 ScottGN, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  7. Ziggy

Good call Scott.

8. weerab

weerab One of Us

I've rented a Subaru Legacy for the week, just have to convince the wife to do a bit of walking! should be a good trip regardless of what we do!

9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Further to my comments re snow around Wanaka - I see today is fine but more snow was expected for the weekend meaning Cardrona/saddle at TC would be looking very healthy going into mid September. That's a far cry from late October though.

I can also recommend any no of short ( 5 mins to a few hours) along the highway towards Haast. Longer walks look great too! Check the Lake Wanaka & Dept Conservation websites & Visitor Centres. Enjoy!

#9 snowgum, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  10. stuarth

stuarth Addicted Endless Winter

If you want to ski in late October you will usually find great conditions in the high mountains but it doesn’t sound like this fits your trip (& family) plan. The next best skiing option is at in the Remarkables, because their road stays open to access the conservation/recreation area and the snow usually holds up well for some fun. This area is also well worth the walk, although it could be limited by snow.

Wanaka has lots of good developed short walks & both the info centre by the lake & the DoC office can sort you out with all the details. Rob Roy Glacier is a very popular longer trip. I love the short walk past Diamond Lake. There are also lots of good tracks / runs around the lake & over Mt Iron and mountain bike tracks have beed developed around the area as well.

The Mototapu Track from Glendhu Bay (by Wanaka) over to Arrowtown (near Queenstown)could be good if you wanted a multi-day walk. From Queenstown you can access a similar range of things or consider some of the 2-3 day walks like the Greenstone Caples or Routeburn etc which have good hut networks so you don’t need to carry tents and so forth. A car lets you range pretty broadly & Doc at Queenstown or Glenorchy will also be able to give you the heads up on track conditions throughout the region.

Lots of wineries to visit as well. Enjoy your trip.

Ziggy likes this.