1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Use the Force filters, Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

TUTORIAL: How to post in Gear Swap so it sells

Wanted Want to buy first pair of skis

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by NoSkillWill, Jun 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hey just looking to pick up my first pair of skis.

Couldn’t find anything on gumtree and thought this might be a good place to look. At least looking for recommendations for any other places online or in Melbourne I should look at.

I’m inter/advanced skier. Looking for all round skis. I’m 200cm, 100kg. Moderately aggressive. Spend most of my time on piste. Would love some twin tips. I’m going to japan Next year also. I think I’d be looking for 190s. Price range would ideally be $200-$300

Any advice or offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Cash converters, E bay , keep looking and asking around. Ray's Ski shop in Myrtleford have some new Alpine down hill skis and XC skis on special.

3. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

200cm and 100kg. Can you run and catch a ball? The Wallabies need some outside backs pronto! ;)

What you’re looking for sounds about right. If you’re mainly skiing groomed runs though, why are you looking for twin tips? I’d have thought an all mountain ski which will come with tail rise almost certainly, would be a better bet. Something like a Line Supernatural. I think the relevant models to look at would be a 92 and 100. If you’re heading to Japan the 100 would offer more versatility for use in Oz and Japan. I think that’s now a discontinued line but there will be plenty of run off and second hand versions.

4. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

5. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

twin tips because I spent the tail end of last season trying to muck around in the park. I agree, I typically still spend a lot of time on the groomers so having done a bit more research I think a decent all mountain pair would be better for me. Finding secondhand skis has been particularly difficult in the length I need. I think I have found a pair on ebay that are in pretty good condition.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  6. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

I came across this in my searches.

What is the quality of gear like? It says European gear but my mate thinks they get in Chinese crap.

If the equipment isn't garbage it could be worth a look for me.

7. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

At your height and weight, you will want to make sure anything you get is on the stiff (or damp) side. It's pretty easy to overpower some skis just by throwing your weight around, lighter less rigid skis will end up feeling a bit like wet noodles in anything other than corduroy, or anything above gentle speeds.

You see a lot of Volkl skis around 2nd hand, they are generally more rigid than the average ski. Other brands have damp skis too. Shout out in here any ski models you're looking at (brand/model/year if possible) and we'll try and advise.

8. Chaeron

No idea... I’ll take a look at their Ashburton sale in Melbourne but for my money overseas online discounters or local bricks & mortar stores are the go.

https://aussieskier.com/or https://www.snowinn.com/ are my points of reference.

NZ retailers are worth a look, as are Rakuten and Amazon (may not ship to Oz)

IF you know what you’re after ebay/gumtree is an option, but real deals are hard to find.

I buy touring gear and use French, German and Italian search terms in Ebay to unearth stock that is otherwise hidden.

NoSkillWill likes this.
  9. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

I was planning to go take a look at these tomorrow night. The seller hasn’t been able to give me much info other than they are old and narrow underfoot.

They are also all I could really find in my length second hand and are crazy cheap.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Atomic-...rentrq:4bb9ff0f16b0ad31c39e3de0ffe4cedd|iid:1

I’ve been searching online but have had a tough time finding 190s. Typically websites seem to have 1 style of 190cm ski. I may or may not buy those eBay skis but I’ll keep my ear to the ground for anything else as I’m pretty sure those skis aren’t going to be exactly what I want.

10. Chaeron

Unless you’re experienced at skiing with longer narrow skis you’d likely regret it - keep your powder dry...

LaNeige likes this.
  11. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Snowblades.

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Get those Atomics off-edge and they will try and kill you

Chaeron and NoSkillWill like this.
  13. Annabuzzy

Don’t do it

Chaeron likes this.
  14. azzski

Lightweight, foam core, near 20 years old. Leave them alone.

190cms is not a magic number. Depending on the ski, anything above 184cm will do.

15. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Those skis are at least 2 decades old. I had a red version for a while. Absolute weapons on hard pack as long as you could ride the edges. Complete disaster in the soft. I wouldn't go there unless they were part of a quiver (which you don't want).

16. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

This seems like fair advice. Considering I've only really ridden all mountain rentals I think I'd struggle a fair amount. Good advice, I'll wait for something else to come up.

Chaeron likes this.
  17. Chaeron

Well, now at least you’ll survive the winter.....

NoSkillWill likes this.
  18. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, they are a 1999/2000 model. The name is a give away Atomic Beta Carv 9.18.... Anything with "carv" or "carve" in the name means it was the first generation of shaped skis, and length is also the give away..... 190cm.

I'd be more concerned about the 20yo bindings.... could be corroded inside, just waiting to destroy your knees.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

buy my Elan twinnies for $125 in the next thread down :)

20. Chaeron

I thought of suggesting that - a good ski at a good price - you won’t do better than that.

mr likes this.
  21. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

The skis look good but I'm unsure if 181cm twins would be the right length for me. Doesn't that put the effective length somewhere in the mid 170s?

A mate that I go sking with picked up some 179 twins last year and he is a head and 15kgs less than me.

22. Chaeron

Skiing a ski that’s effectively a mid 70’s ski is not a problem.

If you look at the picture of those Elans they’re plenty wide so you’ll have enough surface on the snow.

Plus they’d have reasonably good tortional stiffness which makes up for them being effectively shorter

I’m 176cm and have skied a 165cm through to a 190cm ski.

A twin tip in the park is not bad to have a bit shorter as it gives you easier maneuvrability, and it also means a lighter ski, which means its more playful.

Getting them on edge will give you plenty control.

I ski a Wailer 112 on piste sometimes and it’s led me to understand that shape and width, and tortional stiffness play as much a role as ski length.

It’s also whether you locate the bindings forward or back - not that I would change the binding position on those Elans - which at $125 or so are a steal.

No better deal available- I love the Annums I got off @mr

23. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

I will say you are selling these skis well.

I can appreciate the width compensating for the length. Is the extra width going to hamper my mobility? Probably not much more than the issues I have with 185s being so long its hard to turn them quickly.

I know I was talking about twin tips to hit the park in my initial post but it is probably more of a pipe dream than a requiremet. My time on the slopes is probably going to look something like 80% groomed runs, 10% off piste, 10% park. Based on some of the earlier comments all mountain skis are probably the way I should go.

Sorry for seeming resistant on this. I know very little about skis and what is appropriate for me so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

24. Chaeron

The bigger issue is the frame touring bindings - add some skins and you’re into touring the side country! Big plus believe me! They’ll put you a little bit higher off the snow - I’ve skied frame bindings on piste for ages, and it is fine either way.

The width won’t hamper your mobility as the shape of the ski at the front plus the sidecut means that you’ll have plenty responsiveness going into your turns. The width on the ski is in the back half.

Researching side-cut and taper, and rocker and rise.... believe me, most of us don’t really want to go there.

25. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Even if we assume those Elan twin tips are going to work, you need to give some serious consideration to the suitability of the bindings; in fact more consideration than to the skis themselves.

The Elans are mounted with a reasonably lightweight Fritschi Freeride AT binding (looks like the Freeride Plus). While that's a tried-and-true AT binding (from the late noughties mind you) it's not going to be ideal for a 100kg, moderately aggressive skier on piste. They're not as torsionally rigid as a dedicated alpine binding, and they sit your boot higher off the ski. While they may be capable enough on the front side (for an AT binding) I wouldn't dare hit a park feature with those bindings on my skis, even if that's just a pipe dream.

The Fritschi Freeride Plus came in various sizes and the seller says these are XL. From memory the Medium fits a boot up to around 335mm (my own size). If you're 200cm tall you'll most likely be ok with the XL, but do take the time to check. Even then adjusting the binding to fit your (probably) larger boot will move you rearwards on the binding and therefore rearwards on the ski, leaving you (probably) a little way behind the manufacturer's preferred line, depending on where the seller mounted themselves and the size of the seller's boot.

Lots to think about here - more than just the suitability of the ski.

Chaeron likes this.
  26. Chaeron

+1 - I’d put other bindings on those Elans for inbounds.

27. Chaeron

There are some good bindings currently on sale on the forum - ask @mr if he’ll consider splitting the bindings and the skis, or on-sell the bindings yourself.

There’s strong demand still for frame BC bindings.

28. Sandy

I'm not really sure why you want 190cm skis if you find 185cm hard to turn. If you want them longer to distribute your weight, I can understand that... But 190cm is not common these days, except on long big rockered powder skis, which you don't want.
    I'd be inclined to go for a 180-185cm ski, a little wider (90mm underfoot), with a small amount of "early rise"/rocker in the tip to make them easier to turn, straight tail or tiny rocker.... Forget the twin tips.
    Go for a 16-18m turn radius, since you have issues turning a 185cm ski. And make sure they have a fair bit of stiffness for your weight.
    A second hand ski may be a bit "worn out" from the flex point of view, so don't get anything too old.

29. Chaeron

Wot he said.

The oracle has spoken

30. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

31. Sandy

NoSkillWill likes this.
  32. B-Dub

B-Dub Addicted

33. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

34. Annabuzzy

35. Annabuzzy

36. Sandy

NoSkillWill and Chaeron like this.
  37. Chaeron

Seriously, it’s not worth going below a certain price limit (unless via this forum) / age of ski!

I’m all for chasing rainbows and hunting unicorns but.

NoSkillWill likes this.
  38. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

39. B-Dub

B-Dub Addicted

Seriously? 200cm with a size 10 foot?

40. Sandy

41. Chaeron

90 mm or less underfoot for Oz for most skiers - except those who REALLY get their skis on edge or don’t ski hardpack.

42. azzski

Whilst I'd be a little concerned about you overpowering them, this is the only thing you've posted that's in the ballpark. Everything else is not worth a tenner and will only hold you back.

NoSkillWill and Chaeron like this.
  43. linked_recoveries

Hi. Those are mine. I've been following this thread and wondering if you'd get around to noticing the Kastles.

They're a 2011 model, and one of the better-reviewed all mountain skis of their day. Have a look around to find some reviews on that model. It's hard to find anyone who didn't like the FX94.

Most all mountain skis now have a little early rise in the tip and (sometimes) the tail, and the FX94 itself evolved to have early rise tips in about 2014. On the other hand the first of the FX94s (i.e. this ski) has full camber, with a slightly turned up tail. If you're looking for something with that sort of turning radius they'd be a great choice. The bases are in great condition, they have virtually all of the original edge material left, they still provide good rebound out of a turn, and they ski very well. Kastle positioned them as Chris Davenport's side country / back country ski, but with twin layers of 0.3mm titanal they're a bit more hefty than modern back country skis. I'm about 100kg when I stand on a pair of skis, I ski quite aggressively, and I've never felt like they weren't doing the job.

The price has been set as low as I care to go. I have several other pair of skis, and I'm keen to find the FX94s a good home, but any lower than that and I'm happy to keep them. I still enjoy skiing them, I just have logistical problems taking more than two / three pair of skis down to the snow for any one trip.

With a 27 boot (200cm tall and a 27 boot, really? I'm 193cm tall and use a 29 boot) you'll need to remount the heel of the binding (at least). Remounting bindings like that isn't a big deal. Given they've already been drilled twice under the toe piece you'd be better off moving the heel pieces forward about 15-20mm (depending on the sole length of your boots). They're already mounted a little forward of the manufacturer's line so you'd end up a little further forward again - perhaps 16-18mm forward of the line. Kastle was inclined to nominate a factory mount point that many people thought was a tad too far back in any case, so that position won't be a big deal. It'll quicken up the ski and make it easier to turn. By way of example, I used to have a pair of Head Monster 78s (183cm) with bindings on a Tyrolia Power Rail and I always skied them 15mm forward of the manufacturer's line by preference.

http://peakskierzone.proboards.com/thread/163/kastle-fx-94-smooth-easy

The Salomon S914 binding is a very good older binding with a DIN range of 6-14. They've always worked well for me. I imagine they're no longer on the binding indemnification list. Have a search online to figure out what that means.

So, in summary, if you're looking for an all mountain ski with that sort of radius they'd be a great option. They're certainly a well-reviewed ski, and they're miles better than some of the other skis you've looked at. You'd have to remount the heel of the binding, and you'd end up standing a little bit in front of the manufacturer's line, but that's fine - preferable in fact.

#43 linked_recoveries, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Annabuzzy and Chaeron like this.
  44. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hey, thanks for the info. Yeah I have quite square feet. Had to get slightly wider cut boots and pop out the outside edges a little. Simon at Footpro in Malvern was fantastic with the fitting.

At the moment your skis are the front runner. Having to move the bindings might be annoying but shouldn’t be a problem I imagine.

I’m probably going to hold out for this gear sale at the end of June to see if I can find something perfect. If not I’ll be in contact for sure.

45. Chaeron

The gear sale end June won’t deliver anything better & certainly not better priced.

46. linked_recoveries

Apologies but the Kastles have just been sold.

47. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

48. Sandy

49. linked_recoveries

Those Liberty skis are a lightweight, symmetrical park'n'pipe ski. Not ideal.

There's a pair of new Dynastar Powertrack 84s in 183cm on eBay. Great price for a well-reviewed, brand new ski. Modern shape, great carving ski and versatile all over the hill. Not sure if that's what you're after, but have a read about them. They're perhaps a tad narrow for Japan although they'd work ok. 183cm was the longest they made these, so that's your length.

I demoed the Powertrack 89 a couple of years back and thought they were one of the very few skis I've tried where the manufacturer's mark was a bit too far forward. I adjusted myself back 20-25mm (I forget which) on the demo bindings and was happier there. Read up on the mount point as these look to be new-and-unmounted, so you'd get the chance to choose where they're mounted.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-Po...260823?hash=item2ace269297:g:DdIAAOSwT8FdAvPu

azzski likes this.
  50. azzski

Great deal without a doubt., Again though, I'd be a little worried about overpowering that. Just from reviews it reads as light and lively, which as a heavier skier usually translates to noodle-like under pressure and at speed.

For $30 though, renting would cost less to find out!