We CAN fix the Drought and Snowfall for under $1 Billion

Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Zyka, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Zyka

Zyka First Runs

I was listening to ABC radio the other day and heard an idea, that on outset seems daft, but the more I think about it the better it seems - I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented. The answer to our fixing ongoing droughts and decreasing snow fall is simple: FLOOD LAKE EYRE.

It don't have all the facts, but I have heard that in the rare years that the lake floods naturally that rains for crops and snow for the ski fields are much better than average (i.e. 2004). Apparently this results from 1. Evaporation from the huge area of the lake adding to the moisture levels in the systems and 2. the lake having a cooling effect over inland SA and therefore reducing the intensity of the high pressure systems that push our fronts down to Tassie and NZ.

So how to achieve it? Easy - Dig a big canal (500km) from Spencers Gulf to the lake - Sure a big task and will cost up to a Billion bucks but afterwards gravity will do the rest (as the lake is about 20m below Sea level) - in fact you could even use the inflow to generate electricity and recoup some of the Money spent.

I don't know much more about it than that (I found almost nothing about this on the net except the one link I'm posting), but with the drought getting worse and worse I heard the idea is gathering some steam - hope it comes off.

http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~skot/bigschemes/lake_eyre/index.html

#1 Zyka, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

I like the sounds of that 3000m high ski resort.

[​IMG]

#2 Born2ski, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

Australia has been surrounded by water for hundreds of years and yet we get droughts.

The lake is way too small to have any effect whatsoever.

The money would be much better spent on better managing the water we already have than doing some airy fairy project which may or may not have any benefit.

I'd say this will never go ahead.

4. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

I've heard that idea thrown around over the years also. Seems like a good one, although you would eventually have a problem with salt build-up as the water evapourated, leaving the salt behind. Lake Eyre would finish up like the Dead Sea in the Middle East.
    [​IMG]

#4 Oldie, Oct 16, 2006
  5. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

Not if you set up a refinery to reclaim (& then sell) the salt.

#5 main street, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Recon

Recon Hard Yards

Erm...

Did you ever think that the reason there's more rain/snowfall is the same as the reason the lake floods? :rolleyes:

#6 Recon, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  7. 1080 Fox Bait

1080 Fox Bait First Runs

I was about to explain that very thing but I think another :rolleyes: will surfice.

#7 1080 Fox Bait, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  8. Recon

Recon Hard Yards

[​IMG]

It's like saying "in years that my house's rainwater tank is full, there isn't a drought... so let's fill up my rainwater tank so there won't be a drought"... [​IMG]

#8 Recon, Oct 16, 2006
  9. mochon

mochon First Runs

why do people and government keep coming up with these stupid ideas. We have plenty of water allready we just have to learn to use it more efficiently and stop sending out to sea in the form of sewerage It all comes down to people voting in wa.... politicians who are brainless and only make decisions that will keep them going in the shorterm whereas our water problems need long term solutions

10. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

First of all you don't need a canal. A tightly sealed pipeline would act as a syphon. It would cost 20% as much.

However think about what happens when you intoduce salt water into an already saline environment and it evaporates. You can only disolve so much salt in water. I have been told by an industrial chemist that the air passing over this lake would be hyper-saline and deposit salt over anything it passed over or rained on for 1,000 km. After a few years you would have poisoned a large chunk of eastern Australia.

It's one of those schemes that sounds interesting, but doesn't stand up to serious analysis [​IMG]

#10 Bogong, Oct 16, 2006
  11. Falls expat

Falls expat One of Us

I think everything about this topic is flawed but the comment above doesn't make sense. My understanding is that when salt water evaporates the salt is left behind. The only reason salt nuclei are present in the atmosphere is because the wind whips fine droplets off the surface which then evaporate in mid-air leaving the salt behind. If the hypersalt theory above was correct then windward coasts all over the world would suffer from the same fate and this is not the case.

#11 Falls expat, Oct 16, 2006
  12. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

But the head loss due to friction in the pipe may be greater than the 20m difference between sea level and lake eyre.

Another Alan Jones type solution that is rubbish.

#12 Snow Blowey, Oct 17, 2006
  13. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    The system leading into Lake Eyre is one of the largest river systems there is. If there was a correltation between the lake and snowfall, would it be about the amount of moisture picked up / or in a 'front' that comes across with the lake effect serving to increase the moisture content and therefore we get a bit more snow. It cannot effect the systems developing in the southern ocean. Apparently the MacDonnell ranges were once amongst the highest on earth.....but then again, that was so long ago, Australia was not here.

14. James B

James B One of Us

You're all thinking too small.
    I reckon you'd have to flood most of South Australia west of the Flinders Ranges to get much effect. Who knows, perhaps the tilt of the tectonic plate could push the Vic/NSW mountains up a bit too?
    Would cost more than a billion, probably. [​IMG]

#14 James B, Oct 17, 2006
  15. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] i havent heard much things stupider.

#15 Vermillion, Oct 17, 2006
  16. sir_rhyso

sir_rhyso One of Us

Not since IAB said the poms will win the ashes anyway...

#16 sir_rhyso, Oct 19, 2006