Weather Stations and Stealing Data

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Rather than clutter up the other thread with what is really just a thought bubble, maybe.

So I'm playing about with a weather station at a holiday let than lets you see it's data via the internal wifi network. Now I never did get this work but it got me thinking after I downloaded the instruction manual for the Huawei made device.

So if I owned an electronics product company that sold world wide, and the one of the products just happened to be a range of weather stations that wifi enabled to the point where they have to be to work it's not a small jump to have the products also quietly send the weather and location data back to home base via the internets. And all of a sudden after a few million sales I have a world wide source of data.

I might need to do a few things to filter out the locations that were unrequired and run some sort of system to have data verified, probably not hard if say a dozen of the weather stations just happened to be located in the same suburb.

And if I just happen to be a military organisation that was expanding my operations beyond my borders it might be handy to have additional weather data sources to put back into my forecasting.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
There is no need to steal the data. Offer it as a free value add turned on by default. Then upsell a paid service for long life data retention, analytics, automatic nearest neighbours comparisons etc.

Reactions: Chaeron and blowfin

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
There is no need to steal the data. Offer it as a free value add turned on by default. Then upsell a paid service for long life data retention, analytics, automatic nearest neighbours comparisons etc.
Yes, store your weather data "in the cloud". It'll catch on.

Reactions: cold wombat

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I think you are missing, oohh wait, you're not missing, just ignoring my conspiracy theory.

They can still harvest all the data for any use. It will be in the fine print. Job done & all above board.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass